The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 4
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 4

Old 08-04-2011, 11:54 PM   #1
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Default Quick question about the reboot re: Kyle....

and somebody tell me if this issue has been raised already....... or if this just falls under the "wait and see which stories are in cannon and which aren't"

If Superman is being rebooted... but Green Lantern isn't...

AND Superboy is being rebooted........

Does that mean Reign of the Supermen didn't happen? And if that didn't happen then.... did Hal become Parallax? And if he didn't become Parallax....

where does Kyle come from?

All this shit just occurred to me today and I haven't been keeping up with all the reboot complaints/conversations very closely.

Any thoughts?
Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:02 AM   #2
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I imagine that they will say Hal was still Parallax. Frankly, the fact that Hal's Parallax-ness is now due to possession by a Fear Entity means that it really isn't dependent on Reign of the Supermen having happened. I suspect that it will be glossed over, but the easy thing to do would be to just say, "Parallax possessed Hal, Hal took out the CPB and thus destroyed the Corps, and then Kyle was picked by Ganthet to keep the torch lit" and not elaborate on any other circumstances surrounding Hal's possession.

That still leaves us with the problem of how long Hal, John, and Guy GLs before that point, and how long was Kyle GL before Rebirth. We've only got 5 years total to work with due to an, IMHO, idiotic degree of editorially mandated compression, so for all we know Kyle is now the veteran, and the rest are relative rookies in terms of hours logged with the ring...
Old 08-05-2011, 12:44 AM   #3
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

DCNU is not made for longtime fans.

There's lots in Reign that's probably out of the door. Supergirl was Matrix at the time. Then there's Lex Luthor II. I doubt either is canon in DCNU ... or maybe not even now, really. I think an event like Reign will still have happened, just not like what we actually have.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:50 AM   #4
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Emerald Twilight and all of that all happened. No big stories are going away, they covered all of this at Comic-Con.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:53 AM   #5
Gl Josh
Senior Corps Member

Well Death of Superman "will happen" since Reign is kinda needed as is Emerald Twilight, Zero Hour, Final Night, Day of Judgement, and everything since the GL Rebirth. So I guess the following stories might not have happened, Genesis, Red/Blue Superman, ummmm...wait why are they rebooting? If so many stories are needed for current stories, why do a relaunch that might mean that about half off all major story lines in the past 10-15 years are still needed for current stories?
Originally Posted by BatmanofSector2814 View Post
I have yet to see Avatar, mainly because it is the plot of Pocahontas wrapped in a "Halo vs World of Warcraft" flavored, CGI heavy shell...and I've already seen Pocahontas and played all 5 Halos...so....
Gl Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:05 AM   #6
Bolerathon
Avant Guardian

Doc, the answer is simple. They never gave it any thought. They don't really care about coherency. The fact that the whole universe is being reset apart from 2 titles proves that sense didn't enter into this.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:08 AM   #7
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Emerald Twilight and all of that all happened. No big stories are going away, they covered all of this at Comic-Con.
Saying it and making it make sense are two very different things. Given all the changes they HAVE made, to say that some of these stories "still happened" is a somewhat meaningless statement, as they could not POSSIBLY have happened in anything like their original form. Unless the degree of change in some titles that I have heard of is exaggerated.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:17 AM   #8
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Stories like the Death Of Superman will still have happened in the DCnU. If for nothing else than for DC to keep their vast library of trades in print. Big events in the past will still have happened, no matter how much they don't make any sense. When you read them, all sorts of characters and costumes will be all wrong and it'll just get glossed over.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:18 AM   #9
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Remember when DC claimed the multiverse was too confusing for new readers back in the mid 80s? To heck with the last 20 years...you aint seen nothin' yet!

That's what happens when you want to wipe SOME slates clean, but keep others the way they are. This should have been all or nothing.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:10 AM   #10
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Well, they say big stories happened, but some have real problems nowadays. And even before now ...

A BIG part of COIE was the death of Supergirl. Almost immediately afterwards Supergirl was retconned never to exist. How do you reconcile Earth-2 and Earth-S into DCNU? COI is a continuity nightmare. Probably the first continuity nightmare.

Legends introduced Darkseid to the new DCU and the new Wonder Woman to the world. Previous stories of JLA with Wonder Woman now have Black Canary becayse DC says so. With Wonder Woman always having been around this story suffers greatly.

Zero Hour. I think they're hoping we'll all forget Hawk was ever Extant, but he was a huge part of Zero Hour. And this is the first time Waverider died; Mattew Rider replaced him. This was retconned in Superman where the team was decimated by Imperiex and all save Liri Lee turned themselves into gigantic brains (even Waverider, the energy being) and all save for Liri Lee were banished by Zeus. Later this was also retconned by having Waverider killed in 52 and Hunter imprisoning the Linear Men ... when they escapoed Liri Lee became Waverider.

This isn't even all the retcons for them, just the most confusing. For guys who don't appear very often, they got retconned a whole lot.

Finally, I don't know how possible it is to reconcile Millenium to the current stuff. Herupa doesn't even remember his own name anymore. I can see him coming back to life, but forgetting his name so soon? And then there's everythign about no emotion, despite the obvious love he shows in Millenium, and all the changes with the Zamarons.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #11
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gl Josh View Post
Well Death of Superman "will happen" since Reign is kinda needed ...
But Reign must be different if Superboy is being cloned/created right now.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #12
BTomaselli
Corps Honor Guard

And this is exactly the reason why I'm stopping collecting comics all together. They stopped caring about telling good stories a loooong time ago - now it's all about the "event" and the all mighty dollar.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #13
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
But Reign must be different if Superboy is being cloned/created right now.
My point exactly.
Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #14
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTomaselli View Post
And this is exactly the reason why I'm stopping collecting comics all together. They stopped caring about telling good stories a loooong time ago - now it's all about the "event" and the all mighty dollar.
Chew
Walking Dead
Invincible
Fear Agent
Scalped
Fables

Because these books are all "event" books and are all about the mighty dollar right?
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #15
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

Im all about people dropping comics and titles because the DCnU. Shorter wait time on line at the Comic Shop and less people to have to wind and weave through or standng and reading in the way of people trying to get books. So I thank you all for that.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #16
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauntlet101010 View Post
Well, they say big stories happened, but some have real problems nowadays. And even before now ...

A BIG part of COIE was the death of Supergirl. Almost immediately afterwards Supergirl was retconned never to exist. How do you reconcile Earth-2 and Earth-S into DCNU? COI is a continuity nightmare. Probably the first continuity nightmare.

Legends introduced Darkseid to the new DCU and the new Wonder Woman to the world. Previous stories of JLA with Wonder Woman now have Black Canary becayse DC says so. With Wonder Woman always having been around this story suffers greatly.

Zero Hour. I think they're hoping we'll all forget Hawk was ever Extant, but he was a huge part of Zero Hour. And this is the first time Waverider died; Mattew Rider replaced him. This was retconned in Superman where the team was decimated by Imperiex and all save Liri Lee turned themselves into gigantic brains (even Waverider, the energy being) and all save for Liri Lee were banished by Zeus. Later this was also retconned by having Waverider killed in 52 and Hunter imprisoning the Linear Men ... when they escapoed Liri Lee became Waverider.

This isn't even all the retcons for them, just the most confusing. For guys who don't appear very often, they got retconned a whole lot.

Finally, I don't know how possible it is to reconcile Millenium to the current stuff. Herupa doesn't even remember his own name anymore. I can see him coming back to life, but forgetting his name so soon? And then there's everythign about no emotion, despite the obvious love he shows in Millenium, and all the changes with the Zamarons.
Why is it that, we have to listen to DC when it comes to continuity rules? Don't we pay for their books?
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #17
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

It's very simple: the DC Universe is being rebooted except for the GL stories, but they're going to cram them in anyway. If stuff doesn't match up...tough shit. Geoff Johns has never respected continuity before when it comes to GL; why would that change now?
Old 08-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #18
BTomaselli
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Chew
Walking Dead
Invincible
Fear Agent
Scalped
Fables

Because these books are all "event" books and are all about the mighty dollar right?
Yeah, no thanks. It'll be like quitting cigarettes for a little bit (cravings, "the shakes", night sweats, etc), but I gotta quit cold turkey. This from the guy heading to Chicago Comic Con next week.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:07 AM   #19
Lantern2814.20850
Green Lantern

I personally don't recall as many delays in books before Didio(t) took over. I mean, when Jenette Kahn ran things the only time I had a delay in getting my books, was when a federal holiday occurred on a Monday so instead of Wednesday the new titles would be out Thursday but i never had to wait two extra weeks or a MONTH for my next issue (especially not during a major event storyline)
This (among many other reasons) is why i'm enjoying Comixology's releases so much nowadays)