X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 4

Dark Lantern Chapter 1: Back in Black

Sector 2825

Orange Lanterns flicker in and out of existence, tearing a space ship apart while stealing all that they can grab. The former Guardian of the Universe, Sayd, is a twisted version of her former self. Corrupted by the orange energy that binds her to the souls of the Orange Lantern Corps. But as the orange constructs are occupied she does not see the bright yellow light behind her. She does not see the newest form of Parallax. The constructs begin fading away as Sinestros attack them and Arkillo/Parallax bites through the dark Guardian of avarice.

Sector 2814, Earth

Gotham....

"You ever hear the phrase "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer?" My name is Kyle Rayner. Former Green Lantern. Former Ion. Former Parallax. Right now.... I don't know which is which." Kyle said to himself.

The Justice League stand their ground as Alan Scott and his daughter Jade come to the side of the Dark Lantern.

"Who do you think we are, guys? So the Lantern killed an alien bastard on an alien planet, who are we to judge?" Jade said taking up for Kyle.

"Batman's just worried GL might be going down the wrong path. We're his friends, we want to be there for him so that what happened to Roy doesn't...." Donna replied touching down on the ground and walking forward.

"I'm not like Roy, and it's not the same type of situation. Sinestro was issued a death sentence before the Blackest Night even happened. I just wanted to see justice for the lives he's ruined. And I was never a drug addict." Kyle responded uncharging his fists with Alan standing behind him but still letting green energy escape his eyes.

"The League only wants to help you get readjusted to life back on Earth. You've been gone roughly a year since the Sinestro Corps came to town." Donna said as she came up to Kyle and the others.

"With the kind of power you have we want you to take it easy for awhile and not worry about little things. We can set you up in any city you want, Wayne Industries can use an artist for something I'm sure...." Batman added walking forward as well.

"I appreciate the concern, guys. I should've been the one to call you, not Hal. God knows what the Guardians are putting him through at the moment...." Kyle began to reply as Alan interrupted.

"I don't mean to be rude... but my dinner is getting cold. Do you think you could take this conversation somewhere else?" Alan asked seeing the situation had calmed down.

Days later, at the JLoA satellite

"So you took a piece of the Starheart meteor out of the trophy room?" Donna asked Jade as the two of them sat with Kyle in the cafetteria.

"I should have seen this coming sooner or later." Kyle thought.

"I asked her to, Donna. It's not her fault." Kyle said, his eyes not glowing with green energy at the moment.

"It doesn't matter, Kyle. It's against League proceedure. Jade knows the Justice League has a certain chain of command and she broke it." Donna continued.

"I never dealt with this kind of thing when I was in the League. So much has changed." he continued thinking rolling his eyes.

"So you're going to rat me out to Dick?" Jade asked.

"Of course not. If Dick asks we'll just say the meteor piece must have disipated like a construct." Donna replied standing up.

"You should take him up on the job offer, Kyle. Get back to your roots and let your creative side take over for awhile." Donna commented.

"I like to pull my own weight. I can take care of myself. Besides, I still have some money in a savings account after I sold a property of my mom's." Kyle said standing up also.

"Where is it you decided to move to?" Jade asked still finishing some food off.

"I actually found a place in...." Kyle began.

~KL~
    Ωmega Man
    Guardian of the Universe
    Last edited by Ωmega Man; 05-28-2011, 06:16 PM.

Comment

...had to finish posting this somehow

Dark Lantern Chapter 1: Back in Black pt.2

Brooklyn, NY

"This is what I needed...." Kyle thought taking in a deep breath of fresh air.

He was on a balcony at his new address. A sign said "Sheepshead Bay Yacht Club down by a dock behind the apartment building. He now lived by the ocean. There were still a few unpacked boxes in the living room. The phone rang a few times before the machine finally picked up.

"This is Kyle, you know what to do." Kyle's voice said before the caller started their message.

"Kyle, it's Hal. Grayson said you weren't gonna try to rewrite the universe or anything so I'm not gonna question your actions. The Guardians have asked the Corps to finish off the Sinestro's since they're so few in number. The Guardians may send an Alpha to talk to you, even though the blue bastards always favored you for some reason. But at some point you'll have to tell them what happened on Korugar. Just be careful and look out for any Sinestros in your area...."

As the message ended Kyle squinted his eyes towards the bridge. A yellow flash of light caught his eye and he instantly consumed himself in green fire and constructed his costume in mid flight. He was on the top story of the building and it had seemed like nobody noticed. Except for one purple haired female who looked to be in her twenties down by the pool in the back of the building.

The Dark Lantern flew forward and in a matter of seconds his green energy spewing eyes noticed just what the yellow flash was. It almost resembled Arkillo, but it was on all fours with a giant tail and yellow Parallax armor....

"This is the last thing I need right now. Although with Nero and Effigy both pushing up daisies, I AM in need of an arch-enemy like...." Kyle mused.

"PARALLAX!"Kyle screamed charging at the entity from the air while panicked civilians abandoned their cars and ran away.

"It is nice to see you again, human!" the entity screamed as the two began trading blows.

"Wish I could say the same to you. Somebody could use about a dozen breath mints!" Kyle bantered creating an emerald muzzle around the insane jaw of the new Parallax.

Kyle wasn't expecting to be so overwhelmed. He took a strike from the creature's long tail and noticed a handful of Sinestros awaiting orders a little higher up in the air. He created a giant robot with a skull like face and a lightsaber style scythe and swatted a couple of the onlooking Sinestros into the water below and barely missed Parallax with another swing. The creature let off an energy wave that was so massive several cars on the bridge were atomized as the bridge and Kyle's construct started to give way. It seemed that the Dark Lantern was in over his head until....

"Starman, Bill, Donna.... help Kyle with Parallax and try to keep the bridge stable. Jessee, get any remaining civilians off of the bridge." Batman ordered as the group dropped out of a JLA cruiser.

"What about me, Bats?" Jade asked flying down with Batman on an emerald bat shaped hover board [similar to the Green Goblin's].

"Once Jessee gets the rest of those civilians out of here, we'll take care of the other Sinestros." he said.

~KL~

Comment

Chapter 4 Ending

Dark Lantern Chapter 1: Back in Black pt.3

Kyle picked himself up from some rubble to see Starman striking Parallax from a distance with the crystal in his chest while Congorilla tried to attack the creature with brute force. Donna touched down beside Kyle and threw some debris off of him and into the ocean.

"We saw the news reports and figured you could use a hand. Do you know how to seperate the fear entity from the Sinestro it bonded to?" Donna asked as the two flew towards Parallax.

"If we can rip the entity out of Arkillo, I may be able to imprison it in my personal power battery. But it's still just a gamble." Kyle said dodging a strike from the creature's tail.

Donna managed to grab the tail in time to swing the monster around to meet Congorilla's now giant fist.

"Donna always made stuff like this look easy...." Kyle thought to himself mid-battle.

Parallax landed in the water and Kyle found an opportunity to repair the bridge somewhat to make Jessee's job a little easier. Congo Bill reached into the ocean with his giant hand to pick Parallax up but the creature sunk it's massive jaw into one of the fingers of the ape-man.

"AAAAAAAAAH, that damn thing bit me!" he screamed.

The fear entity quickly blasted Starman out of the air and it seemed as if the rest of the League had managed to capture the other Sinestros and remove their rings with Jade's power. But the battle was far from over. As the entity saw a strong host in the giant Congorilla it tried to leap out of the mouth of Arkillo towards the hairy hero. But Kyle and Jade were one step ahead and sealed it off in a green construct bubble.

"Can you hold it on your own long enough for me to pull my battery out of a pocket dimension?" the Dark Lantern asked his ex.

"Go for it!" she yelled straining to hold on as the League stood ready.

Kyle opened a rip in time space and pulled out his clunky power battery. He held it in both of his hands, not using the handle, and began to pour energy and willpower into the alien tech. As Jade's construct disipated the monster fought hard not to be pulled into the battery, but it was no use. The will of Kyle Rayner was too strong.

Later....

Kyle and the League stood on the nearly broken bridge as onlookers and news crews began making way towards the battle field. There were news helicopters already flying around overhead.

"I'll keep an eye on Parallax until I talk to somebody in the Corps about transporting the entity back to Oa. Can you guys figure out somewhere to lock up the ring-less Sinners?" the Dark Lantern asked keeping the green glow in his eyes to keep photographers from getting a clear shot of his face.

"Don't worry about them, we'll take care of it." Batman commented.

"If you need anything, we're just a phone call away.... Hey? What do we call you now that you've gone solo?" Donna asked floating up towards the JLA cruiser alongside Jade who held the Sinners and their rings in seperate energy bubbles.

"Batman's the Dark Knight. Might as well call me the Dark Lantern." Kyle stated lifting himself up in the air.

"Friends close.... and enemies closer." he thought.

~KL~

Comment

This shit rocks!

Comment

DAMN! this is good!
            I bet it could easily be a 6 issue mini...

When can we read more...

Sure wanted to see artwork of Arkillo/Parallax ... The Kyle/Sinestro fight ... and the JLA&Kyle vs. Arkillax!

Bring on CHAOS, bring on MY HAPPINESS, bring on rage ..Rage ..RAGE!!!

facebook: d3v1lb0y888 ...twitter: d3v1lb0y_8 ..instagram: d3v1lb0y

Comment

wow................ just wow Kid................ that was just............ WOW!

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Dark Lantern Chapter 2: Welcome to My Nightmare

Kyle rolled around in his bed. His dreams appeared to be powerful ones. Kyle was in his mother's house and appeared to be about sixteen or seventeen years old. She was doing something in one of the rooms of the home.

"Mom?" the young Kyle asked, "Is it okay if Tyler comes over? His Dad's been drinking again...."

"Of course, Kyle." she said as the doorbell rang.

"That's probably Tyler at the door now." she continued as Kyle darted towards the front door.

Kyle opened the door to see twisted looking Black Lantern versions of Alex Nero and Effigy.

"Hello, Kyle." said Nero.

"Can you come out to play?" said Effigy.

Suddenly Kyle woke up in a sweat. He was breathing hard.

Later that morning....

"My name is Kyle Rayner. I'm not used to taking stairs anymore.... Seven stories is about four too many." Kyle thought.

Kyle took the stairs down to the lobby of the apartment building. Kyle walked towards the front entrance where he saw the doorman sitting in a chair by the door reading a newspaper while the glass wall behind him showed off the swimming pool and courtyard area. Kyle stepped into the mailbox room where there were a series of small metal doors with locks similar to what's at a post office. He got his mail and on his way out bumped into the girl with purple hair.

"HEY! Watch where your.... Kyle?" asked the young woman looking at Kyle.

Kyle had a confused look on his face.

"Kyle Rayner? Used to work for Feast Magazine?" she continued.

"Jasmine?" Kyle said surprised to a familiar face.

"How have you been? It feels like forever since you worked at Feast...." she said walking to the glass door to the courtyard/pool area lighting up a cigarette.

"Jasmine was my boss's secretary over at Feast Magazine. She had pink hair back then. Can't believe I didn't recognize her. Granted, she WAS wearing more clothes back then." Kyle thought giving her a quick updown as she focused lighting the smoke while standing in a bikini, towel, and big glasses.

"Yeah, it HAS been a couple of years. You live in the building?" Kyle asked.

"Top floor on the east wing, you?" she replied as she continued smoking.

"Top floor on the west wing." Kyle said as his cell phone rang.

Kyle looked down at his phone.

"Hey, I have to take this. I'll see you around?" he asked walking backwards toward the stairs.

"You might...." Jasmine said as Kyle disappeared into the stairwell.

"Hello?" Kyle said into his phone, now standing in the stairwell.

"Hello, is this Mr. Rayner?" asked the person on the other end.

"Yes sir, what can I do for you?" Kyle responded.

"I was calling about a painting...." the man began saying.

"When I first got back to Earth and found this place I cranked out a few paintings. Really dark and abstract." Kyle said pulling out some paintings, while his mother's painting hung on a wall near a clock that read three o' clock.

"I put a few of them on iBuy.com and one of my old clients found them in record time. He sounded a little creepy over the phone. He probably wears black clothes all the time and stays out of the sunlight.... but who am I to judge?" Kyle continued thinking to himself while packing the piece to be delivered in the post office packaging box beside him.

Kyle's phone rings again. It's still day time outside, and Kyle is passed out on his couch. His cell continues to ring.

[dream sequence]

Kyle is flying around NYC in his Dark Lantern attire. About the same time he Notices Radu's Coffee Shop and his old apartment building he's attacked and blasted into the ground making a crater. Picking himself up he notices his old enemies again, the Black Lantern versions of Nero and Effigy. But then a Black Lantern Sinestro floats down beside them.

Kyle went on the offensive and blasted eye beams at the Black Lanterns and leaped back into the air.

"I need backup. I need to contact the League or Hal..." Kyle begins saying before the Black Lantern Sinestro takes Kyle out of the air with a twisted black construct sword.

The Black Lantern Effigy creates a circle of black fire around Kyle as all sorts of smaller, twisted, black construct creatures escape the ring of Nero.

"This must be another dream." the Dark Lantern said rubbing his eyes.

He woke up on his couch in gym shorts. Kyle got up and walked to the bathroom and threw water on his face. When he looked back up in the mirror he saw a flash of Oblivion before waking up for real moments later, back on his couch and in the clothes he was wearing earlier. He was sweaty again.

"Am I going crazy? I need to get some air...." Kyle said rubbing his eyes before flying through a green energy created opening in the ceiling after his suit melted onto him.

He flew into the city. And then through Times Square. It wasn't as late as it looked and there were still plenty of people out.

"I don't know what to make of these dreams. They started back when I was still living on Oa. Now they've gotten worse since moving back home. None of my old enemies have the kind of power to make me have nightmares lightyears away from Earth. What's happened to me?" Kyle thought before noticing a mugging in progress below.

"These innocent people don't look like ATM's, so why are you trying to take money from them?" Kyle said touching down in the alley near the two victims and their would-be-mugger.

The man pointed his gun from the mother and son towards the Dark Lantern and fired. Kyle atomized the bullet with green energy.

"You shouldn't point that at people." Kyle said as an emerald officer caught the mugger off guard and secured the weapon as another construct officer took him down to the ground and cuffed him.

"Are you two okay, ma'am?" Kyle asked with green energy escaping his eyes.

"We are.... NOW!!!" the woman screamed as she and the little boy transformed into freakish monsters lunging at Kyle.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" Kyle screamed as his surroundings changed once more [back to day time] and he was back in his apartment.

The clock read six forty-five.

~KL~
                Ωmega Man
                Guardian of the Universe
                Last edited by Ωmega Man; 05-28-2011, 06:11 PM.

Comment

The two things I love most Kyle and fucked up nightmares.

Comment

Cool!
                    Could''ve titled the chapter "Heee's baaaaack!"

someone please draw these chapters!!

Bring on CHAOS, bring on MY HAPPINESS, bring on rage ..Rage ..RAGE!!!

facebook: d3v1lb0y888 ...twitter: d3v1lb0y_8 ..instagram: d3v1lb0y

Comment

I felt the need to go ahead and get the big two baddies from Kyle's past out of the way and open with a bang. Might introduce a new threat depending on how long I keep this going.... I do have a few ideas for original villains that could deal with somebody as powerful as a Lantern....

~KL~

Comment

another great chapter Kid

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Anybody else care to comment? I'd love to hear what other Kyle fans think of the road I'm taking him down, becoming his own man and separating himself from the Corps proper whether the Guardians approve or not. He's gonna have a nice talk with an original Alpha sooner than later....

~KL~

Comment

Anybody?

At almost a thousand views how is it I only have a handful of people commenting? I REALLY wanna hear what you guys think of the story!

~KL~

Comment

I loved it , I love how you're bringing it back to earth and bringing nero and effigy back. BL Major force dropping by soon ?

Comment

I don't really care for 'Force, and he's got the power to always pop back up sometime later on....

The Black Lanterns aren't really BL's at all. An old enemy will be haunting Kyle's dreams and messing with his head over the next chapter or two and the Black Lanterns are just nightmare creations of his. He own's Kyle dreams basically. But wait until he takes shape in the real world!

Almost 1000 views! Give me your opinions people! Who wants this fanfic to continue?!?

-----------------------------------------

I'm gonna work on the next chapter along with the new movie-themed RPG opening tomorrow. The Dark Lantern will cross paths with one of his most twisted adversaries.... himself! Welcome to the dark side....

~KL~

Comment

Working...
                                X