Hal Jordan and the GLC #35

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnMc View Post
    So Sinestro's return is being handled in a non-GL book?
    Well, it was a two-parter and he was pretty much MIA afterward, so it didn't change much.
    It's Superman 29-30 if you want to track it down. It's a Parallax story too.
    Space Cop
    The Dandy
    Last edited by Space Cop; 01-05-2018, 09:41 PM.

Comment

I've got tired of seeing Sinestro in every other few issues of GL honestly. They don't throw the Joker into every other issue of Batman. I was glad to see Parallax show up elsewhere for once. And the story was actually pretty good.

~//V\\~

Comment

We all here know very well thats not the real Parallax, that is only Johns version of it aka bugallax, yellow impurity, fear entity wharever you wanna call it, in other words: https://youtu.be/Thrp_ugMRsA

Geoff Johns: lets make it a bug!

I honestly dont know what is worst the yellow fart from the movie “fartallax” or this generic yellow bug monster

The Parallax from Convergence “Halallax” now that is the real one and IFAIK he is still out there.

Comment

^I'd rather have the bug retcon than the stupidity of evil Hal.

Comment

My favorite Parallax was when he infected Barry Allen after Blackest Night.

~//V\\~

Comment

Originally posted by Noct View Post
              The Parallax from Convergence “Halallax” now that is the real one and IFAIK he is still out there.
              its best to pretend that story never happened.

Comment

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
                My favorite Parallax was when he infected Barry Allen after Blackest Night.

~//V\\~
                “Flashallax?”

Originally posted by "Chosen" View Post
                its best to pretend that Johns never happened.
                Fixed.

I do understand that Hal needed to comeback one way or the other but it doesnt make any sense even for comic standars. The “yellow bug did it” is the most free out of jail card if I ever saw one. It could have been the Hal of the past from Emerald Knights and that would have been perfect.

Why does Johns always get away with his stupid retcons.

Well, at least it seem like his days in power are numbered, not saying hes finished by a long shot he still have a lot of support and fans, but here hoping he will not longer have absolute authority in DC ever again.

Comment

I do understand that Hal needed to comeback one way or the other but it doesnt make any sense even for comic standars. The “yellow bug did it” is the most free out of jail card if I ever saw one. It could have been the Hal of the past from Emerald Knights and that would have been perfect.

Wow. That's... actually a really, really good idea. With some fleshing out, I think that would have been a lot better than Geoff Johns' concept, if executed well. Plus, it would have absolved Hal Jordan even more, because it would have been a completely other "him" that did the emerald twilight atrocities, instead of having the character succumb to some fear entity that possessed him. It also wouldn't come off as so fanboy-ish to me, like much of Johns' absolving of Hal Jordan does (oh he was possessed, oh that Arisia thing, well, she was actually 200-something years old) because working from the previously established canon instead of making retcons would make it seem much more organic.
                  Star-Lantern
                  Weaponer of Qward
                  Last edited by Star-Lantern; 01-07-2018, 02:13 PM.
                  ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

“Flashallax?”

Fixed.

Well, at least it seem like his days in power are numbered, not saying hes finished by a long shot he still have a lot of support and fans, but here hoping he will not longer have absolute authority in DC ever again.

I don't hate Johns like you do. However, that renegade storyline and the other Parallax was just plain dumb and led to absolutely nothing. Best pretend it didn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                      Wow. That's... actually a really, really good idea. With some fleshing out, I think that would have been a lot better than Geoff Johns' concept, if executed well. Plus, it would have absolved Hal Jordan even more, because it would have been a completely other "him" that did the emerald twilight atrocities, instead of having the character succumb to some fear entity that possessed him. It also wouldn't come off as so fanboy-ish to me, like much of Johns' absolving of Hal Jordan does (oh he was possessed, oh that Arisia thing, well, she was actually 200-something years old) because working from the previously established canon instead of making retcons would make it seem much more organic.
                      That still comes off as super fanboy-ish, in that it's the exact same idea Marvel's tried using to make their characters interesting again... "Let's just take a version of them from the past..." is becoming a trope now in comics quicker than anything else that's already cliche and predictable. It worked in Emerald Knights, but that story was well over ten to fifteen years ago. Green Lantern Rebirth had to do more than simply bring a version of Jordan back. It had to get rid of the Vuldarian shit with Guy, they tried making John more interesting by bringing up his military service that was originally in the JL toons, Geoff had to bring back the Guardians as leaders of the GLC and not a bunch of Smurf babies, etc.

I think GL Rebirth is still a good story, bug retcon or not. I believe the War of Light and everything tied to it since has been what's killed the franchise, not absolving Hal of past sins.

When Green Lantern starred Kyle and 75% of the adventures were on Earth and the series frequently had other DC characters popping up.... it was the 3rd best selling title that didn't feature Superman or Batman. The only difference between that and what we're getting with Green Lanterns is that nobody cares about Jess and Simon and the adventures are still tied to the War of Light and other shoehorned in concepts like the Phantom Lantern, the First Lantern, etc.

The franchise needs to go back to basics and do the most obvious stuff in terms of status quo. Take the two most popular GL's [Hal and Kyle], and put them in Green Lanterns and also feature them in books like JL and Titans, the rest can go to GLC and be featured in rotating stories rather than every character being in every mission every issue. That gets old quick and great ideas like the GLC vs Starros and GLC vs Brainiac are barely catching anybody's attention. It should also be noted Superman comics aren't the only place DC has good space villains to use elsewhere. Remember all of the alien species in LoSH, characters from REBELS and the modern LEGION, etc.? DC needs to start looking at the rest of the universe. Who have they already used in GLC... Cyborg Superman, Brainiac, Zod's coming up... I mean I can't wait to see the GLC vs Zod but don't waste this opportunity to tell an epic story.

~//V\\~

Comment

In before Zod beat everyone and Hal comes to save the day, lets just remember that Stewart and Rayner are the ones who actually know how to handle Kryptonians

Kyle has made Ultraman his bitch in more than one occasion and John did take out Supes that one time in rebirth. I think there are more examples but would have to double check on that later

Anoher thing, shouldt there be a monument or something to bugallax since it saved the Earth from the Final Night?

That yellow bug is a HERO the sun couldt have be reignited if it wasnt for bugallax

like much of Johns' absolving of Hal Jordan does (oh he was possessed, oh that Arisia thing, well, she was actually 200-something years old) because working from the previously established canon instead of making retcons would make it seem much more organic.
                        Right. According to Johns Hal never did anything wrong in his life and everyone else is WEAK for being possesed by bugallax. The only bad thing Hal as ever done is havig daddy issues or something like that and..oh yea NO FEAR!

The thing that bothers me is that I actually like Hal or so I thought. Yes I was hyped for the return of Hal back in 2004 if only I knew this is how Geoff Johns would slowly kill the franchise...

An alternative I think Hal needs to join or create another Corps and replace Sinestro (no one want him anymore) as the parallax point of view, since that was the whole point of the name he picked in the first place. “Parallax View” to see things from another perspective opposite to the Guardians or John Stewart Corps in this case while none beign evil, the dynamic this could bring would be most interesting.

Comment

Right. According to Johns Hal never did anything wrong in his life and everyone else is WEAK for being possesed by bugallax. The only bad thing Hal as ever done is havig daddy issues or something like that and..oh yea NO FEAR!

The thing that bothers me is that I actually like Hal or so I thought. Yes I was hyped for the return of Hal back in 2004 if only I knew this is how Geoff Johns would slowly kill the franchise...
                          Believe it or not, I actually liked Hal Jordan, too. Mainly from the Gerard Jones comics and the 1980s Steve Englehart comics. Geoff Johns soured me on that character due to the fanboyish writing, his general annoying characterization (tries to be Han Solo or something, but just comes off as a jerk and dummy to me whereas Han has something Hal Jordan lacks and can believably pull it off... more annoying still is this jerk and dummy somehow makes everything work for him because NO FEAR! ["I don't know how"], which often caused me to root against him), and the constant not so subtle reminders that Hal Jordan is top dog and all the other human Lanterns are subservient to him. And that's the version that has more or less been Hal Jordan since. It also didn't help that I generally did not like Geoff Johns' Green Lantern concepts or stories.
                          Star-Lantern
                          Weaponer of Qward
                          Last edited by Star-Lantern; 01-07-2018, 08:12 PM.
                          ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

I really want to like Hal again but neither Johns nor Venditti are making it easy

Believe it or not, I actually liked Hal Jordan, too. Mainly from the Gerard Jones comics and the 1980s Steve Englehart comics. Geoff Johns soured me on that character due to the fanboyish writing, his general annoying characterization (tries to be Han Solo or something, but just comes off as a jerk and dummy to me whereas Han has something Hal Jordan lacks and can believably pull it off... more annoying still is this jerk and dummy somehow makes everything work for him because NO FEAR! ["I don't know how"], which often caused me to root against him), and the constant not so subtle reminders that Hal Jordan is top dog and all the other human Lanterns are subservient to him. And that's the version that has more or less been Hal Jordan since. It also didn't help that I generally did not like Geoff Johns' Green Lantern concepts or stories.
                            If I have to read one more time about him beign the “Greatest Green Lantern of them all” Im just...gointo...dont know...I guess Ill debate it lol

Carol certainly didnt think Hal was the greatest when she chose Kyle

Also I just changed my av and sig to represent better my parallax views

Av = the real Parallax/Hal Jordan in The Final Night
                            Sig = geoff johns generic bug monster raping Hal
                            Noct
                            Sinestro's Sparring Partner
                            Last edited by Noct; 01-12-2018, 04:27 AM.

Comment

I liked this issue quite a bit even though I'm lukewarm to the Controllers. The Four Corpsmen idea was the epitome of coolness since that's how the four long-time Earth GLs should see each other by this point. Also, the drama with Ganthet agonizing over Sayd's possible end was a nice set up for the next issue.
                              Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Working...
                              X