The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 10-13-2020, 06:12 AM   #1
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Exclamation 10 Things GL Could Improve

Aside from better characterization and stories in general, there are plenty of things that the comics could improve upon. Rather than adding more Lanterns with different colors or gimmicks I believe that creators should look back and develop some of the things that have been left untouched for years and in some case decades. Put a microscope to the GLC and look at what's already there to work with. Here's just 10 Things that've come to mind, lemme know what you agree or disagree with and what you think they could improve.

1.) Space Cops or Space Soldiers - I think most of us would consider them cops but there's not enough procedural stuff going on. If they're gonna be cops actually show them doing more law enforcement type of situations. There's a middle ground between Morrison and Johns that DC needs to explore...

2.) the Honor Guard - A different badge or standard uniform could be created to help separate them from the rest, but there's no clear definition of what these Lanterns are for. They've been called troubleshooters in the past with no assigned sector. DC could do much better than 'everybody's backup'.

3.) Flagship Title Balance - I firmly believe that what kept the Kyle Rayner era a success was the balance of Earth and Space adventures. After Hal was brought back he stuck around Earth more for a bit but was quickly drawn into the event era of DC where everything lead into the next big crossover. Now it's no wonder casual fans think that GL's can't have normal lives or day jobs! Regular cops don't always stop bank robberies or get in on hostage situations on a daily basis, it should be ok for GL's to have slow and boring days and time to get into their lives back on their home planets.

4.) The Planet Oa - I've always wondered what was in the city that seemed to be on Oa around the Central Battery. We know there are living quarters for the Lanterns, and we always see all manner of buildings of various shapes and sizes. Could a portion of the survivors of dead planets call Oa home? Somebody had to be working at Guy's place and I doubt they'd go off world to get home.

5.) Sector Partners - If its going to be a thing then do something with it. The Green Lanterns title proved that two GLs could share a title, and the pair were BOTH on the Justice League as well. Not saying they'd have to be, but no reason the two Lanterns in 2814 couldn't rotate.

6.) Hal & Kyle - There is absolutely NO REASON that the two most popular GL's shouldn't be in the 'main' title. Since the beginning of Vol. 4 of GL in 2005 sector partners have been a thing, yet these two haven't shared a title. Guy and Kyle have been in GLC, then John and Kyle, and both John and Guy showed up in Hal's book somewhat regularly. Its okay to be both a Hal fan and a Kyle fan. The 90's was a long time ago, and the fanbase wouldn't be as splintered with a solid flagship title featuring these two. You know how to consistently sell over 35k-40k? Stop taking a gamble with new heroes like Baz and Cruz and let the characters who've kept the legacy alive carry it as they should. You don't see Spoiler and Duke Thomas taking panel time from Batman, Robin, or Nightwing do you?

7.) No More [insert gimmick] Lanterns PLZ - Since the Emotional Spectrum became a thing we've had the addition of Reds, Oranges, Yellows, Blues, Indigos, and Violets as well as Black, White, the First, the Phantom, an Ultraviolet, a Teen, and now a Gold. It's got way out of hand and all of this extra stuff is taking the focus away from the GREEN Lanterns. There's a few diamonds in the rough like whomever is controlling Ion, but at this point we're even up to our 4th era of Darkstars.

8.) Rogues Gallery - Geoff Johns had the right idea reworking several classic enemies into more potent threats in the modern era. However there is so much more out there in terms of enemies that isn't being touched. DC could be reworking classics like the Puppet Master or Invisible Destroyer, or reintroduce a new Empire of Tears or Black Circle Syndicate. Any aliens/species that show up in Superman comics, Justice League, and the Legion of Superheroes should also come into play more often.

9.) Expanding/Connecting Cosmic Concepts - There are tons of cosmic characters and concepts sitting on the shelf that could be used sparringly here and there without it being an event or crossover. Adam Strange always gets a shot every so often but what about the Omega Men, New Gods, Capt. Comet [or is it just Comet now?], Lobo, Throneworld, the Wanderers, the Tamaranians, Thanagarians, LEGION/REBELS, etc? And why can't we get new cosmic heroes without ties to the various Corps? All the humanoids in space and there's no more than what we've got? Cosmic Marvel dwarfs DC easily.

10.) Rebuilding the Franchise - Once DC figures out how to make GL work without hiring the biggest names they can find another GLC title should be around the corner. There's enough characters to go around though, and it's been proven that the franchise can hold strong enough to support a third title. While other spin-offs have worked for a limited time, refocusing on Green Lanterns and not the various other colors and gimmicks would work just as well if not longer if handled with a bit more care. A third title centered around the Honor Guard could work, maybe rework the Alpha Lanterns... or if TPTB are determined to keep Hal and Kyle separated just stick Kyle in the last book. A third title can be a great thing without being Red Lanterns, Sinestro, Larfleeze, or the New Guardians, and if they want to test the waters with something first just give us a mini series here and there. Emerald Warriors was great while it lasted and it worked alongside both a GL monthly as well as GLC.

So what say you [all half dozen or so that are still around anyway LOL]?
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:27 PM   #2
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ωmega Man View Post
...1.) Space Cops or Space Soldiers - I think most of us would consider them cops but there's not enough procedural stuff going on....
Yep.

Quote:
...Now it's no wonder casual fans think that GL's can't have normal lives or day jobs! Regular cops don't always stop bank robberies or get in on hostage situations on a daily basis, it should be ok for GL's to have slow and boring days and time to get into their lives back on their home planets....
I'm okay with having slow days, but I really think it was always a stretch for them to have day jobs. Using your cop emphasis as an example, what cop can say, "no, I can't solve that case because this is now my time to work at Staples"?

It makes sense for Batman because he sets his own schedule and can let his personal life go to hell. But realistically, how many jobs are our there where you can just drop whatever you're doing with no notice and go fight a two-day battle with your Justice League buddies? Even if their sector was only earth, there'd be enough to do, but 2814 is way, way bigger than that. Add a regular job to that and not only is he going to do both crappily, but he will certainly have no time for R&R, relationships, or sleep.

Quote:
...8.) Rogues Gallery - Geoff Johns had the right idea reworking several classic enemies into more potent threats in the modern era. However there is so much more out there in terms of enemies that isn't being touched. DC could be reworking classics like the Puppet Master or Invisible Destroyer, or reintroduce a new Empire of Tears or Black Circle Syndicate. . .
The Tattooed Man.

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-13-2020 at 02:30 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:43 PM   #3
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I'm okay with having slow days, but I really think it was always a stretch for them to have day jobs. Using your cop emphasis as an example, what cop can say, "no, I can't solve that case because this is now my time to work at Staples"?
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I feel like GL having a secret ID with a "day job" was only ever a function of trying to fit him into the same mold as previous, popular super heroes, like Superman and Batman. Back in the day, that was just the way all superheroes were assumed to work, and there was no thought given to whether their different situations might logically modify that.

GL is really somewhat unusual among the big name superheroes (though certainly not entirely unique) in that his powers come with a defined job, as part of a larger organization.

He isn't somebody who just has powers and decides to do good with them (or doesn't have powers, but makes a personal decision to fight crime, and aquires powers, tech, and/or training to help achieve that end), he's somebody who takes a job that comes with powers.

He should have downtime, sure, but if he's got another job it should be because he can't bear to give it up, not because he NEEDS it, and if that job interferes with his superhero job, that should be a problem for his bosses.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:01 PM   #4
Space Cop
The Dandy

Exactly. Batman's vigilante work is a volunteer thing. Ditto Superman, who is also uniquely able to do a lot of things very quickly. But GL has duties and the duties are sporadic and often time consuming.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:45 PM   #5
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Kyle's freelance artist gig was perfect, and if Hal took on a private plane he could make his own work schedule as well. I find it easier to suspend my disbelief for GL's to have lives back home than Batman having 6-8 adventures at a time, time to train new heroes in Gotham, time for detective work, time for the League, time with Catwoman, as well as time enough to do things as Bruce Wayne despite making appearances in half of DC's titles. But that's just me.

And if being a Lantern is considered a job... then our boys should be getting paid.
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:58 PM   #6
Mister Ed

Quote:
And if being a Lantern is considered a job... then our boys should be getting paid.
Oh, I definitely agree with that. The Guardians cannot realistically expect the level of commitment that they seem to if they aren't willing to provide for their employees' needs.

Of course, they might see that as providing room and board, plus some other perks, at official GL facilities, rather than giving GLs a paycheck to spend as they see fit. If you choose to try to maintain a different lifestyle within your home society, they may consider that sort of thing your responsibility to maintain.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:50 AM   #7
jhpace1
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Quote:
They should, because look at what happens when a being puts their life on the line for the Guardians of the Universe and dies - the GL ring goes and finds another wielder. The next GL for your sector might not even come from your home planet. So there's no life insurance with your beneficiaries, even like today's cops and soldiers, unless a GL plans in advance. Sinestro did - look at all the times he put spare power rings and even power batteries in all kinds of holdouts from his shoes in the animated series to a 20-square-mile underground complex on Korugar in The Third Army.

The Sinestro Corps made a big deal about going after the families of the GLC, and it showed many members made little or no preparations for their families once they were members of the GLC.

Hal Jordan made what, one or two spare power rings that Batman and Green Arrow knew about? And Hal Jordan kept his GL service a secret from his family as long as he could. There was no setting them up financially or with lifestyle security for being on-call 24/7 for several years.

The only time Hal or Guy or Kyle (or Baz) visited their families, they showed no improvement in their quality of life from being a Green Lantern. How are they supposed to have the "retirement" stories like in the 80-page special recently, if they were not getting paid in a way and with enough compensation to retire?
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:54 PM   #8
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

1. Get rid of Baz and Cruz.

That'll be good right there.

But if anybody is worried about Hal having time for a job (as if Bruce Wayne has the time for all the stuff Batman does), then put him on Earth.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:38 PM   #9
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

But, but.. what if the universe is on the verge of being destroyed? (Which, according to comic books, is the case almost all the time.) And Hal is working?

Well then, call Guy or John. Hell, maybe even Kyle. Or the Justice League.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:11 AM   #10
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post

But if anybody is worried about Hal having time for a job (as if Bruce Wayne has the time for all the stuff Batman does), then put him on Earth.
Maybe go the old man bruce wayne route where hal or even john are older retired from the glc and they work in the pentagon as some form of general personel keeping track of alien activity from earth? Make it like a men in black type story

If you want evidence of unintelligent extraterrestrial life existing look at the Chicago mayor lori lightfoot , lori lightfoot phone home
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:23 PM   #11
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Hal can have a job. The universe isn't in peril at any time, let alone all the time. The universe and "the fabric of reality" got along OK for 14 billion years, until comic book writers came along. Then all kinds of shit started happening, didn't it?

Last edited by Trey Strain; 10-15-2020 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:08 PM   #12
Mister Ed

Quote:
Hal can have a job. The universe isn't in peril at any time, let alone all the time. The universe and "the fabric of reality" got along OK for 14 billion years, until comic book writers came along. Then all kinds of shit started happening, didn't it?
The point is, he DOES have a job. Being a Green Lantern is, logically, a full time job. It makes sense that any OTHER job he might have should take a back seat to that, and he shouldn't be FORCED by necessity to have another job, but maybe have one that he loves enough that he just doesn't want to give up (while recognizing that conflicts will arise if he goes that route). I'd agree that the "fabric of reality" is in peril way too much these days, but even without that, it sure seems like the responsibility of being a space cop for a Sector containing multiple inhabited planets should take up enough time to make a regular, Earth-bound job problematic at least.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:08 PM   #13
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Meh the whole reality time travel multiverse has been done to death. Id like to see how green lantern tackles ptsd when dealing in cosmic wars. I mean it would have to be more terrifying than wars on earth. The glc is a corps so lets treat it like a space military force instead of space police. Hell even have the earths wofld governments debate if the glc is a ally to earth or a threat

If you want evidence of unintelligent extraterrestrial life existing look at the Chicago mayor lori lightfoot , lori lightfoot phone home

Last edited by TazzMission; 10-15-2020 at 05:11 PM.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:39 PM   #14
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Ed, I think you're saying that Hal is too great to have a job.

That would be fanboyism in the first degree.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 10-15-2020 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:17 PM   #15
Mister Ed

Quote:
Ed, I think you're saying that Hal is too great to have a job.

That would be fanboyism in the first degree.
I don't know where you get that idea. I didn't say anything remotely like that. I said he's got a job.

If I've got a job already, and then say I don't need to get ANOTHER job on top of that, that doing so would actually be problematic, are you somehow interpreting that as me saying I'm too great to have a job? Because that is exactly what I'm saying about Hal (and not just Hal, but ANY Green Lantern).

The nature of being a Green Lantern is one of the things that sets them apart from many other superheroes. Doesn't make them better, it is just an interesting distinctive, in that their powers come with the job, a job where they have bosses, and set responsibilities, unlike many other superheroes who get more freedom to set their own priorities, and aren't beholden to anybody for their powers.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 10-15-2020 at 06:24 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:13 AM   #16
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
6.) Hal & Kyle - There is absolutely NO REASON that the two most popular GL's shouldn't be in the 'main' title.
I think the main problem is that whoever writes the main GL title always ends up being someone who doesn't like Kyle (or resents him because he reminds them of the 11 years there was no Hal as GL), or likes John more. When Morrison was announced I had hope, since he seemed to love writing Kyle in the JLA book... alas, he was nowhere to be seen.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:56 AM   #17
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I think the main problem is that whoever writes the main GL title always ends up being someone who doesn't like Kyle (or resents him because they remind them of the 11 years there was no Hal as GL), or likes John more. When Morrison was announced I had hope, since he seemed to love writing Kyle in the JLA book... alas, he was nowhere to be seen.
If I could wave a magic wand and make Kyle go away, I'd do that. But I don't think it's feasible. Still, the idea of getting rid of Kyle and keeping Baz and Cruz is way, way out there. Just fucked up.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:05 PM   #18
JohnMc
Weaponer of Qward

How about actually using the characters people care about?
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:35 PM   #19
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
How about actually using the characters people care about?
They'd rather tell you who you should care about at this point than that.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:36 PM   #20
JohnMc
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Because that worked out so well for Marvel.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:29 PM   #21
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
There's actually a term for that. It's called being product oriented rather than market oriented.

It's the difference between "here's what you should want" and "here's what you want."

Product orientation is exactly the wrong approach for a declining industry to take.

http://www.differencebetween.net/bus...t-orientation/
Old 11-20-2020, 09:51 PM   #22
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Hal's having a job and a supporting cast is "a fundamental part of the Green Lantern mythos." I seem to remember a couple of guys throwing that phrase at me constantly when I said that the ring constructs were best left in the era when the comic's readers were boys under 12, but I can't quite remember who those guys were.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:26 PM   #23
Mister Ed

Quote:
Hal's having a job and a supporting cast is "a fundamental part of the Green Lantern mythos." I seem to remember a couple of guys throwing that phrase at me constantly when I said that the ring constructs were best left in the era when the comic's readers were boys under 12, but I can't quite remember who those guys were.
I'll bet you can.

And, no, I don't think his having a "day job" is a fundamental part of the Green Lantern mythos. Once upon a time, it was a standard part of ALL superhero comics, but it was never fundamental to the Green Lantern concept specifically.

The constructs, however, are a fundamental part of the concept, IMHO. But then, you knew that already, didn't you?

As to having a regular supporting cast, I don't know if I'd say it is fundamental to the concept, but I have to say I prefer it. Be they Earth-bound or fellow GLs, I find it interesting if the main character has at least some people that he interacts with, and builds various types of relationships with, on an ongoing basis. GL, and Hal especially, has been sorely missing that aspect for quite some time, and I'd be happy to see it come back.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 11-20-2020 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:42 PM   #24
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

If you guys like something, then it's "a fundamental part of the Green Lantern mythos" and can't be questioned. If you don't like it, then it's not.

That's how that trick works.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:58 PM   #25
Mister Ed

Quote:
If you guys like something, then it's "a fundamental part of the Green Lantern mythos" and can't be questioned. If you don't like it, then it's not.

That's how that trick works.
Except I do like the supporting cast idea, yet still don't think it is a fundamental part of the GL mythos. So there goes that generalization out the window.

In fact, it would be trivially simple for me to list a large number of things I have enjoyed in GL that are not, IMHO, a fundamental part of the mythos. If you force me to, I will, but the one example above already serves to falsify your premise.

As a bonus, I'll also give you something that I do tend to think of as fundamental to the mythos, even though I very often don't like how it is handled, that being the charge limit on the ring. I mean, it seems like an important thing for a power that derives from technology to have some kind of limit, but the time limit version was always a bit of a headscratcher, and the gas tank version usually just means that the writer gets to toss in cheap dramatic tension about the ring running out of energy whenever they want, without having to figure out how long since the last charge.

I have to say the part where you say "If you don't like it, it's not" sure seems like a perfect description of you with regard to the constructs, though. Take a good look in the mirror.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 11-21-2020 at 12:06 AM.