Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is DC gearing up to kill off Kyle again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To kill Kyle Rayner the youngest of the human lanterns (not to mention his latino heritage) would be a dick move of DC to the fanbase demography.

Comment

That's assuming he's still the youngest or is still half latino.

Comment

He needs a gimmick again. It use to be the new kid who was discoverying every thing on his own. That was his sale point,you can't keep doing that after 10 years. Where do you take him now? It's a good question. Me I think I would go back to the roots until I could dream up a new angle for him to play.
        Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Originally posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
          He needs a gimmick again. It use to be the new kid who was discoverying every thing on his own. That was his sale point,you can't keep doing that after 10 years. Where do you take him now? It's a good question. Me I think I would go back to the roots until I could dream up a new angle for him to play.
          I agree with what you're saying but would add that Kyle being an artist was one of the "gimmicks" too. He had some of the most unique constructs at the time and him being detailed and original in forming constructs was an important part of his identity (and one I liked).

Comment

Didn't they quite recently jerk with his origin story? Initially, Ganthet gave him the ring as a *looks around* "You'll have to do" sort of thing." Sinestro would call him an "alley rat" whenever they confronted each other. I remember it being changed to him being chosen, instead... or something goofy.

Comment

Yeah it came across more like Ganthet sought him out. However, Sinestro can still call him Alley Rat as he was still given the ring in an alley behind a bar.
              I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lantern A-train View Post
                Yeah it came across more like Ganthet sought him out. However, Sinestro can still call him Alley Rat as he was still given the ring in an alley behind a bar.
                Which Sinestro knows....how, exactly? I mean it makes for a fun, ongoing insult for Sinestro, but I'm not sure when he would have learned the details of Kyle's origin.

Comment

^^^ That's bugged me since Rebirth. Bugs me even more now not knowing a clear origin for Kyle. One flashback showed him in a classic Corps uniform with Hal, John, and Guy all smiling and shit which made no sense at all. Nobody trained Kyle, not Ganthet or the Corps, THAT was the gimmick. He had to write and draw his own instruction manual.

At this point, if nothing is being done with the Starheart in the New52 let it be something that powers Kyle in the near future after making contact with it. New52 Alan Scott took Kyle's sole GL status and Jim Lee symbol to another Earth, so why not do something similar and give Kyle Starheart based powers and call him Sentinel? The sooner it ditched the deep roots in the GLU in favor of quality storytelling that's not tied to a half dozen crossovers every two years with 10 different Corps with crisscrossing ring wielders the better...

~KL~

Comment

At least his crabmask will live on...

Comment

As for the orgin they never really changed it,but they keep adding shit on to it.

As for Sinestro knowing his origin it is also never covered because it is not a important detail. But one can assume,that being Trapped in the Central Battery he probably has a connection to the sole remaining GL ring. Or to simplfy things it is quite the story. the Guardians giving the most powerful weapon in the universe to a kid behind a dive bar. I am sure the every GLC member probably knows about it.

I too would like to see Kyle be seprated from the Corps in a way. I think Hal should make him the toarch bearer. Kyles ring runs off a diffrent source,so if a Emerald Twilight happens again there will be someone to keep the Corps going. I relieze that he has failed at building the Corps before but Hopefully it will never need to be restarted again.
                      Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

As for the origin they never really changed it,but they keep adding shit on to it.
                        Kyle's origin? They've changed almost every single aspect of it at this point. Now he was already in NYC when getting the ring [no clue if Alex died in Cali] and had Ganthet leading him by the ring finger. Originally he got the ring in Cali and Ganthet split. So it's like his rookie years were cut short to a few months before the Corps returned in full swing to make the flashback with Kyle [still in a Corps standard issue suit] and the three musketeers happen. To make it even more convoluted we had a flashback where Kyle's costumes over the years were shown similar to the above new banner. The Ion 2.0 thing could never have happened without Alan and Jade, Kyle could never have held the Ion power before the return of the Corps the first time if he only had a few months experience. He barely managed after being a GL for a couple years in regular continuity, and then he only re-lit the battery.

~KL~

Comment

Originally posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
                          Kyle's origin? They've changed almost every single aspect of it at this point. Now he was already in NYC when getting the ring [no clue if Alex died in Cali] and had Ganthet leading him by the ring finger. Originally he got the ring in Cali and Ganthet split. So it's like his rookie years were cut short to a few months before the Corps returned in full swing to make the flashback with Kyle [still in a Corps standard issue suit] and the three musketeers happen. To make it even more convoluted we had a flashback where Kyle's costumes over the years were shown similar to the above new banner. The Ion 2.0 thing could never have happened without Alan and Jade, Kyle could never have held the Ion power before the return of the Corps the first time if he only had a few months experience. He barely managed after being a GL for a couple years in regular continuity, and then he only re-lit the battery.

~KL~
                          They started retconning his origin almost immediately and they haven't stopped since then. I have no idea where it stands now. At first it was "You'll have to do" and then it was Kyle was chosen because he was special. Then Guy was offered the ring first but turned it down(!!!!!) And so on.

Comment

It could be worse.

Look at Wally West. Or the JSA who doesn't even exist. This is what happens when you compress decades of stories into a five year timeline, then give it to writers and editors who really don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
                              The Ion 2.0 thing could never have happened without Alan and Jade
                              It didn't even work as appeared even pre-Flashpoint. Where was the whale?

Comment

I'd argue that he doesn't need a special gimmick. All Green Lanterns have something that makes them special but what really got most of us into Kyle Rayner in 1996(?) was the fact that he wasn't special. He was just a regular Joe, trying to get by, failing in managing his life.
                                And then he became 'the chosen one', 'ION', 'White Lantern', blah blah blah.

You see the problem? He was never intended to be special.

Comment

Working...
                                X