What happened to annuals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to annuals?

So there's pretty much no annuals anymore, eh?

No they still have annuals they're just not annual. How Jason Todd came back to life was told in the Batman Annual remember?

Conner and Cassie did the nasty in the Titan's annual.... but this year... no annual.

That's because they're nout annual... they're just oversized one shots they decide to put out every now and then these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Nived View Post
      No they still have annuals they're just not annual. How Jason Todd came back to life was told in the Batman Annual remember?

Conner and Cassie did the nasty in the Titan's annual.... but this year... no annual.

That's because they're nout annual... they're just oversized one shots they decide to put out every now and then these days.
      Not that I read the Sups books, But I;m pretty sure they put out a Action Comics Annual this year done by Johns too
      My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

Originally posted by GLJIMT View Post
        Not that I read the Sups books, But I;m pretty sure they put out a Action Comics Annual this year done by Johns too
        Yes, and there's another Action Comics annual coming where a plotline of the series concludes.

Comment

I think this years annuals are year one origins

Comment

Originally posted by PowerRingE3 View Post
            I think this years annuals are year one origins
            Odd, again? They did that in the 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
              Odd, again? They did that in the 90s.
              why not? everything else from the 90s is gettin retconned out and DC don't seem to have anything else to do but change origins every 5 yrs.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerRingE3 View Post
                why not? everything else from the 90s is gettin retconned out and DC don't seem to have anything else to do but change origins every 5 yrs.
                That's one thing that really bugs me about DC. They really ARE constantly changing origins. At times it seems like they're not really moving forward because of it.

Comment

I remember a few years ago when the annuals went away, their was a collumn or interview by whatever editor (I forget who) where they claimed annuals were basically going to be replaced by 80 pg giants, specials, secret files, etc. Meanwhile, Marvel got rid or THEIR annuals, with the intent that the regular books would publish 13 to 14 issues a year (insert rolling laughter here). The idea that both companies had, was that the annuals didn't have enough to tie them into what was going on and making them essential for readers to buy. They tried themes for several years with the annuals, with varying degrees of success.

The recent annuals we've seen are basically DC putting their toe in the water to see if annuals are worth bringing back. They're not coming out annually (god forbid), and only a few titles are getting them, like a pilot program. We'll just have to wait and see if it works out or not. All I know is, even if DC puts the annual gimmick back in the mothballs, there will always be some kind of specials pumped out to boost sales.

I just miss annuals that were part of the regular reading, and were so good you COULDN'T pass on them. Fuck Planet DC, Bloodbath or JLApe. I want annuals like when I was a kid! Swamp Thing annual #2 was just about the GREATEST goddamn annual ever produced! And the three Tales Of The Green Lantern Corps annuals were all pretty amazing. Ahh, the good ol' days...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cormier View Post
                    (...)I just miss annuals that were part of the regular reading, and were so good you COULDN'T pass on them. Fuck Planet DC, Bloodbath or JLApe. I want annuals like when I was a kid! Swamp Thing annual #2 was just about the GREATEST goddamn annual ever produced! And the three Tales Of The Green Lantern Corps annuals were all pretty amazing. Ahh, the good ol' days...
                    Well I agree Dave..
                    I think DC's new annuals will be pretty good..

I loved the new Action comics annual by Geoff Johns and am really looking forward to the second one.. as well as the upcoming Wonder Woman annual in which the story started by Allan Heinberg will come to a close!

And if you pay attention you see that these annuals are not related to any big crossover.. they're just stories that compliment the regular title.. like they should! That is, like you say, what's cool about them!

Comment

Originally posted by genesistorm View Post
                      I loved the new Action comics annual by Geoff Johns and am really looking forward to the second one..
                      I haven't read any of the new crop of annuals. Was that one part of an arc in the Superman books? Did it wrap up a storyline? Or was it just a self contained story?

Comment

Now see Annuals where one of the many items used to fill a 5th week in a month, My self I liked the special things that filled that role like the DC1st or the Tangent books or the special where the reused the GL rings for sale cover and had four stories about it.

Now that 5th has nothing I go to the LCS and pick up my crappiest book Countdown and thats it. If the 5th weeks again had some kind of a GL special I would gladly buy it
                        My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cormier View Post
                          I haven't read any of the new crop of annuals. Was that one part of an arc in the Superman books? Did it wrap up a storyline? Or was it just a self contained story?
                          The wonder woman one will wrap up a storyline that started with one year later..
                          the action comics one, actually plants the seeds for ALL of the storylines that will take place during the next year on the book.. it's a bit like the JSA #1 teaser in the last page or the one in Booster Gold.. It was an anthology of short stories, pencilled by different artists, and each small story is the beginning of a huge upcoming plot! You should try it.. I thought it was pretty cool!

Comment

Working...
                          X