The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation

Old 04-30-2016, 03:06 AM   #14701
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
There was nothing thrilling about fury road.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:17 PM   #14702
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
There was nothing thrilling about fury road.
I loved Fury Road (though I like all 4 MM movies). I'm pretty sure it Was my favorite for 2015, though I'd have to see a list to double check.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:24 PM   #14703
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
I love a good car chase and all but an hour and a half long chase with asthma man yelling "those are my girls" wasn't too thrilling or compelling to me.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:25 PM   #14704
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

It was a CHASE, and then a RACE!

Fucking AWESOME movie. I can't say a bad thing about it. Saw it multiple times in the theater!
Old 05-01-2016, 01:08 AM   #14705
Space Cop
The Dandy

I disagree that it's only a chase anyway. There's plenty of stops and battles and such. But even if it were, it wouldn't bother me. I think it's perfectly fine for a movie to be just one thing. A movie that was only a ball game or even just a conversation is fine if done well. In fact, I think there's something to be said for such simplicity.

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-01-2016 at 01:17 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:02 AM   #14706
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I love road trip movies and Mad Max 4 was a high octane road trip! The color palate alone was breathtaking. Beautiful cinematography, set designs, costumes and props. MM4 reminds me that film is an art form.

You guys are going to force me to watch this movie again!
Old 05-01-2016, 03:18 AM   #14707
Space Cop
The Dandy

^I like how Miller throws in specialized terms ("fang it") and cultural things (chrome, war boys, etc) without really explaining them. I think in a standard Hollywood movie they would've added some infantile exposition defining all those things that would've taken you right out of his world.

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-01-2016 at 03:31 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:47 AM   #14708
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
^I like how Miller throws in specialized terms ("fang it") and cultural things (chrome, war boys, etc) without really explaining them. I think in a standard Hollywood movie they would've added some infantile exposition defining all those things that would've taken you right out of his world.

That's a great point. In futuristic/dystopian/post apocalyptic settings, I like when slang terms, sayings and popular phrases of their time aren't spelled out and explained for me. Just put it out there and don't explain it, I'm cool with that. It helps with worldbuilding in fictional worlds too. A Song Of Ice And Fire, Star Wars, Middle Earth, some of the things I like are how sayings or events are just put out there and I'm given no explanation. In Star Wars they mention the clone wars as something that happened but we didn't get any details about it. In ASOIAF I know there is an event referred to as the tragedy at Summerhall, but we are never told much about it. THAT'S the way to do it.

So shiny! So chrome!
Old 05-01-2016, 03:52 AM   #14709
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Come to think of it, in a really GOOD Green Lantern movie, they would do that. It would help create the mythology of the universe for the new audience. GL has an amazing mythology when the writers can be bothered to remember to use it to their advantage.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #14710
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I really like Fury Road and was happy that it was nominated for an Oscar for Best Picture. However, I did think the plot was simplistic, but I think it was a good thing, unless Batman v. Superman which was super dense and was like 4 graphic novels.

I think George Miller would do a wonderful job with Green Lantern, and I think since he prefers practical effects over CGI, we won't get an animated GL uniform.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:39 PM   #14711
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
That's a great point. In futuristic/dystopian/post apocalyptic settings, I like when slang terms, sayings and popular phrases of their time aren't spelled out and explained for me. Just put it out there and don't explain it, I'm cool with that. It helps with worldbuilding in fictional worlds too. A Song Of Ice And Fire, Star Wars, Middle Earth, some of the things I like are how sayings or events are just put out there and I'm given no explanation. In Star Wars they mention the clone wars as something that happened but we didn't get any details about it. In ASOIAF I know there is an event referred to as the tragedy at Summerhall, but we are never told much about it. THAT'S the way to do it.

So shiny! So chrome!
I guess I agree, but I dislike it when that is overdone. Sure, it might be REALISTIC if your futuristic world is absolutely SWIMMING in terms I don't understand, but that doesn't mean I want to read/watch that. It just gets annoying. I can't stand the book "A Clockwork Orange" for that very reason, going to the extremes of distorting the language with future slang almost beyond recognition.

And I know that I have always found it irritating when I come across foreign phrases (often French or Latin) that a book's author just assumes the reader MUST know the meaning of (though really that's a separate issue from what you are talking about).

Last edited by Mister Ed; 05-02-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:47 PM   #14712
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I'm not a long time Green Lantern fan, but doesn't the ring translate everything to terms understandable to ring bearer? So, there wouldn't be alot of not understandable slang.

I'm really curious about the plot for a Green Lantern Corp film with the rumored 3 Earth GLs. I would imagine there still would be a need for some origin story telling.

I've also heard that the GLC would mostly take place on earth. I really hope that's not the case. GLC should expand the DCEU beyond earth and into outer space.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:49 PM   #14713
Space Cop
The Dandy

^Yeah, in terms of how it might translate to a GLC movie I wasn't thinking so much that they would throw in a lot of alien terms as that Miller would probably avoid sloppy exposition like the opening of GL (that I specifically heard multiple [re]viewers say was a turn-off).
Old 05-02-2016, 09:55 PM   #14714
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Yeah, that WAS pretty dumb. I mean, you CAN pull something like that off (I think it worked pretty well at the beginning of Fellowship of the Ring, for instance), but GL was not a good example of it.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:37 AM   #14715
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

I liked "Mad Max: Furiosa Road" - I mean ,"Fury Road" ... It was one of those visceral experiences for me - totally immersive and unrelenting in the action and I thought Furiosa worked as the heart of the movie. I'm trepidatious about him helming "GLC" though since he might have his own take on it that won't make comic book fans happy. We were all psyced when whatsisname got pegged for "Green Lantern" because he was a "real filmmaker", but he had no clue about how to make a good GL film or how to work within the WB movie machine enough to produce something good.
Kane2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:05 PM   #14716
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I have little concern if George Miller directs the Green Lantern Corp movie because I think he has the ability to tell a good action piece story.

Moreover, it was picked years ago to direct a Justice League film, and from what I know about that film, it was going to be amazing.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:08 AM   #14717
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

“Green Lantern Corps” Movie Will Probably Be Pushed Back
Old 05-11-2016, 05:18 AM   #14718
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

A whole month? Forget the meager month; I'll be shocked if it actually gets made.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #14719
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Quote:
A whole month? Forget the meager month; I'll be shocked if it actually gets made.
Whenever I see a movie projected over a few years in the future, as is the case with GLC, I am very dubious as to whether it will EVER get made. Such projections don't pan out as often as one might think, it usually means there are no real, solid plans for the movie (such as: zero script written, abstract casting considerations, etc). Being that there won't be ANY Green Lantern on the screen for a loooong time to begin with, we can expect further nothing for the unforeseeably future. The GL movie was too much of a failure, apparently.

I love the GLC more than any other superheroes, but I'm finding happiness in just watching the Animated series and reading my old comics. Because, from both a comics and movie perspective, we are getting indefinitely cornhole infiltrated.
KilowogsDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:28 PM   #14720
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I think I'm more optimistic than others about the GLC movie becoming a reality. As the long as the DCEU is still moving forward, I'll believe there will be a Green Lantern film in the works.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:30 PM   #14721
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

At this point I'm like 20% that it will be made, 80% that it won't.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:44 AM   #14722
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

I'm thinking it'll be 100% made and 100% bad.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:51 PM   #14723
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I'm 95% confident there will be a Green Lantern Corp film. 5% in doubt because they have not officially announced it. I'm 80% confident that is will be a good film.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:29 PM   #14724
W.West

Geoff Johns Becomes Co-Head of DC Films in Warner Bros. Executive Shake Up
Old 05-18-2016, 04:19 PM   #14725
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Well that is big news. Certainly bound to change the movies. Hopefully for the better.

Tags
movie