The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Events & Fan Meetups
FLASHCHAT

Old 10-15-2013, 03:47 AM   #76
plastroncafe
Alpha-Lantern

NYCC is certainly not the same con it was a few years ago. While I've gotten tickets for the last four years, this is only the second time I've been able to attend. Back in 2009, my first time there, it felt far more like a trade show than a fan-friendly convention. Which isn't bad, just different.

This time it felt like a little SDCC, only with much worse logistics.
Seriously, who the hell makes it so that you can only go from one floor to the other on escalators, and then doesn't have the escalators in two by two banks?
Not to mention it seemed like everyone forgot the golden rule of "Keep to the right."

The Sea of People aside, I had a great con. Even went to far more comic-related panels than I usually do, though neither one was from the Big Two.

All in all a great geek weekend.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:29 AM   #77
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
So did anyone succeed in a picture of Tazer at all?
's like I toldja; its NEVER gonna happen.

my anon-status of this board AND the interWEBS is GA-RAUN-TEED (and its misspelled on purpose, so that Grammar Nazi can keep his mitts off plz).

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:29 AM   #78
Trigger
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

's like I toldja; its NEVER gonna happen.

my anon-status of this board AND the interWEBS is GA-RAUN-TEED (and its misspelled on purpose, so that Grammar Nazi can keep his mitts off plz).

Tazer
I'm sure the gov't has you somewhere on a server online. It's just a matter of hacking into their systems and finding said pictures.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #79
Tazer

Yo.

if theyve got'em, its only of the back of my head.....

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #80
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Yo.

if theyve got'em, its only of the back of my head.....

Tazer
I found one!

Seriously, I was kind of hoping to meet up with Tazer. As much as I joke around about holding him down and getting a shapshot, I would have respected his right for privacy. Most of the crap I say on this board is tongue in cheek stuff anyway. I did see A-Train at the show and ran into him as my wife and I were coming back from Times Square to the hotel.

Regarding the NYCC, I had a BLAST! I had an agenda and got almost everything that I wanted fulfilled. This time around, everything on my must-have list was cosplay, comic and art-oriented, so no wasting time for exclusives and autographs. Initially, I wanted to get a shapshot with Hulk Hogan, but he was charging $80. In addition, the hall for Autographs was packed all day long, and not worth the trouble.

Even though the show was INSANELY crowded and difficult to navigate around (even in artist alley), I made it a point to get all my comic stuff knocked out in one day. Once that was done, it was smooth sailing. As always, I've composed a blog on the show. Once I get all the photos uploaded, I'll share the link.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #81
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Awesome! Glad to hear you had a great time at NYCC.

Darth_Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #82
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
I found one!

DUDE! the back of that guys head has more rolls than a jewish deli!!

Quote:
Seriously, I was kind of hoping to meet up with Tazer. As much as I joke around about holding him down and getting a shapshot, I would have respected his right for privacy. Most of the crap I say on this board is tongue in cheek stuff anyway. I did see A-Train at the show and ran into him as my wife and I were coming back from Times Square to the hotel.
LIES!!!!! Atrain told me how U, the wife and a whole crew of ppl were canvassing the con floor, wearing hidden cctv-cams in yur clothing while trying to be all surrepititious-like, all just to catch a sight of the ever-elusive Taz-man......

Tazer

Quote:

Last edited by Tazer; 10-21-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:51 PM   #83
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Yo.

LIES!!!!! Atrain told me how U, the wife and a whole crew of ppl were canvassing the con floor, wearing hidden cctv-cams in yur clothing while trying to be all surrepititious-like, all just to catch a sight of the ever-elusive Taz-man......

Tazer

If you think I would go to such painstaking lengths to get a photo of you, you've been sipping too much of that sizz-zurp, son! You had better strap on your tinfoil hat cause' there's aliens a comin'... and watch out for those agents.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #84
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
All that fuss, and then you just go ahead and post your picture right here?
Old 10-22-2013, 02:43 AM   #85
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:

If you think I would go to such painstaking lengths to get a photo of you, you've been sipping too much of that sizz-zurp, son! You had better strap on your tinfoil hat cause' there's aliens a comin'... and watch out for those agents.

ok, FOIST O' ALL I never go anywhere w/o my tin hat (becuz I know *for a fact* that without it the gubmint is far more likely to steal my precious mind juices), and 2nd-ly Ive already got 3 agents under observation (becuz I KNOW ya cant trust *them*), and 3rd most Id like to remind ppl that just becuz Im paranoid doesnt mean that Sylent isnt trying to get a pic of me to sell to the FBI..........

heed my words guys: DONT TRUST THIS MAN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
All that fuss, and then you just go ahead and post your picture right here?
no worries; twas only a baby-pic. I look quite a bit diff nowadays..........

Tazer

Quote:

Last edited by Tazer; 10-22-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #86
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Yo.

ok, FOIST O' ALL I never go anywhere w/o my tin hat (becuz I know *for a fact* that without it the gubmint is far more likely to steal my precious mind juices), and 2nd-ly Ive already got 3 agents under observation (becuz I KNOW ya cant trust *them*), and 3rd most Id like to remind ppl that just becuz Im paranoid doesnt mean that Sylent isnt trying to get a pic of me to sell to the FBI..........

heed my words guys: DONT TRUST THIS MAN!!

Tazer
Okay, you got me. I'm working for the FBI to get photos of you. So far, all I've gotten is that photo with the Ball Park Franks on the back of your neck.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #87
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Here's a pic of TeEss Arrr, aka Black Shadow.

Although, he's not really black.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #88
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
Okay, you got me. I'm working for the FBI to get photos of you. So far, all I've gotten is that photo with the Ball Park Franks on the back of your neck.
HA!! a confession at last! my paranoia satisfied & justified.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post
Here's a pic of TeEss Arrr, aka Black Shadow.

Although, he's not really black.
sadly, its doesnt get my good side....or my pupils.

Tazer

Quote:
Old 10-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #89
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

You have a good side?

Old 10-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #90
Tazer

Yo.

thy words cut deep sir..........

Tazer

Quote:
Old 10-24-2013, 01:03 AM   #91
Godmera
Champion of the World

Send a message via AIM to Godmera Send a message via Yahoo to Godmera

Hmmm ok not sure what this all has to do with NYCC....
Godmera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #92
Tazer

Yo.

.....spoilsport......

*runs away*

Tazer

Quote:
Old 10-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #93
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Hey yall'! My NYCC blog is up. The linkage is in my signature. Enjoy!

When I get a minute, I'll post some photos from the show... and I'm waiting to hear from Ultimate Fighter, because I don't believe he was really there.

Last edited by Sylent_Asassin; 10-28-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Sylent_Asassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #94
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Default A few sights from NYCC not in the blog

Love the guy down below. You can't look gangsta if you're posing with Felix the Cat.

Tito Santana, Brutus Beefcake and Greg Valentine at a signing.

Ernie Hudson. He's a good guy, and it was great to see him get some love.

Last edited by Sylent_Asassin; 10-28-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Sylent_Asassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #95
UltimateFighter
Fatality's Blacksmith

Quote:

Regarding the NYCC, I had a BLAST! I had an agenda and got almost everything that I wanted fulfilled. This time around, everything on my must-have list was cosplay, comic and art-oriented, so no wasting time for exclusives and autographs. Initially, I wanted to get a shapshot with Hulk Hogan, but he was charging $80. In addition, the hall for Autographs was packed all day long, and not worth the trouble.

Even though the show was INSANELY crowded and difficult to navigate around (even in artist alley), I made it a point to get all my comic stuff knocked out in one day. Once that was done, it was smooth sailing. As always, I've composed a blog on the show. Once I get all the photos uploaded, I'll share the link.
Shit?! Sylent you went? Why the hell didn't you say earlier? Last minute decision? Trying to be "sylent?" Man I was solo so would have loved to catch up and say hello! Maybe grab some Chicken/Lamb and rice from Halal Guys or something! This one's on you!!

I'm shocked I didn't see you. NYCC is not as crazy big as SDCC and I was on the floor all day Thursday and good parts of the rest of the days. I never ventured into Artist Alley.

Anyways, I was there and I got pics to prove it!! I'm actually going to try to post a few!

Like you, I had a short "must have" list, quite honestly, NYCC doesn't have the exclusives, SWAG or give aways SDCC has so no one's list was going to be very big. Which was nice because I spend some much time at SDCC in lines, on the hunt to get this cool item, that awesome exclusive or this sweet give away I never feel I truly get to enjoy the con.

I actually have a different take than what most of the other corp members have noted here. While NYCC has a comparable amount of attendees to SDCC, NYCC still has a much more small time con feel to it. It's only 30% corporate and 70% smaller/individual exhibitors. Maybe even less. In contrast to SDCC which I feel is like 80% big corporate vendors and 20% smaller exhibitors. There was no Hasbro, no Fox Studios, no HBO, no Legendary Pictures, etc. No true DC presence even! I'd say the biggest name exhibitors were Mattel, Marvel and Nintendo? (Maybe I'm missing someone but you get the idea it's not got a lot of the huge exhibitors that dominate at SDCC).

So this was all good because I got to do much more exploring, went to a couple of panels without having to camp out! (Comic Book Men, Curse of Chucky, Star Wars Rebels) I even got to do a new experience and attend a couple of signings! That was the only time I had to do a lot of standing and waiting but it's all relative because the line for that was an average SDCC line! I got a signing for Person of Interest, The Following and Sleepy Hollow! It was fun! (Sylent I did see Hulk Hogan and his line since these signing were just 2 tables over. He was really cool and accomodating to his fans.)

Anyways, I had a very enjoyable time too. The question is was it enough to bring me back there again next year? This was a bucket list item and my story for this year was everything seem to align. (1) I work in education and got put on a Year Round School schedule which breaks for 3 weeks in October, right when NYCC happens. If I was on a "traditional" school calendar, no way could I go and miss that much work. (2) I have family in Manhattan to stay with. This may not always be since they are always mentioning moving to a less crowded family friendly place like Denver and not sure I could have afforded 5 days in a NYC hotel and food! (3) My B-Day is October 9 so figure this would be my present to myself. So my only real expense was the airplane ticket and since it's off season, tickets were relatively cheap so I went for it!! I'm glad I did.

Right now, next year all the same pieces are there. So today I'm optimistic I'd go but check back with me in 8 months!

I'll try to load up some pics in my free time ... whenever that is

Last edited by UltimateFighter; 10-30-2013 at 04:41 PM.
UltimateFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #96
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateFighter View Post
Shit?! Sylent you went? Why the hell didn't you say earlier? Last minute decision? Trying to be "sylent?" Man I was solo so would have loved to catch up and say hello! Maybe grab some Chicken/Lamb and rice from Halal Guys or something! This one's on you!!

(Sylent I did see Hulk Hogan and his line since these signing were just 2 tables over. He was really cool and accomodating to his fans.)

Anyways, I had a very enjoyable time too. The question is was it enough to bring me back there again next year? This was a bucket list item and my story for this year was everything seem to align.
Just to respond to a few points here-

I didn't say anything about going in case something came up at the last minute and caused us to cancel. Sometimes, getting away from work is a pain.

My wife and I had an east coast trip planned and luckily, I mananged to sneak NYCC in. For her to attend a con, there has to be something else in it, since she doesn't care for these events, especially after the hassles of SDCC. Aside from going to the con, we went to Niagara Falls, Washington DC, Philadelphia and a few other places on the east coast.

Hulk Hogan was charging too much for my liking. $80 for someone that's not relevant is too much. For him, $50 would have been my limit, plus the lines were outrageous when I went to the Autographing area.

Glad you had a good time. I thought it was an enjoyable show, overall, mostly because there were no 'must have' exclusives or ticket/wristband nonsense. In addition, everyone was friendly and helpful, which was the polar opposite of SDCC.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #97
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
Glad you had a good time. I thought it was an enjoyable show, overall, mostly because there were no 'must have' exclusives or ticket/wristband nonsense. In addition, everyone was friendly and helpful, which was the polar opposite of SDCC.
gonna hafta get that memo out sooner next year to stop this; I cant have all U out-of-towners thinking we LIKE having ya'll here or something........

Tazer

Quote:
Old 10-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #98
UltimateFighter
Fatality's Blacksmith

Quote:
Just to respond to a few points here-

I didn't say anything about going in case something came up at the last minute and caused us to cancel. Sometimes, getting away from work is a pain.

My wife and I had an east coast trip planned and luckily, I mananged to sneak NYCC in. For her to attend a con, there has to be something else in it, since she doesn't care for these events, especially after the hassles of SDCC. Aside from going to the con, we went to Niagara Falls, Washington DC, Philadelphia and a few other places on the east coast.

Hulk Hogan was charging too much for my liking. $80 for someone that's not relevant is too much. For him, $50 would have been my limit, plus the lines were outrageous when I went to the Autographing area.

It's all good! It's just that you always bust on me about being invisible but I really would have caught up with you and your wife and grabbed a bite or even hung out on the floor since I was solo and a couple of times was just people watching and waiting around until a signing or panel I wanted to go to. Next time. Maybe WonderCon or if I finally find the time to make Big Wow!

Yes the East Coast is fun and has so much history to see. I actually was out here in the summer, my sister in-law got married, so the family made it a vacation stay and we too took a rental car and visited Boston and Philly. I did Fenway Park, the Freedom Trail and Minute Men in Boston. Checked out Independence Hall, Freedom Bell and even the Rocky Statue in Philly and of course NYC with Times Square, Statue of Liberty, 9/11 Memorial and more. It's pretty awesome! Didn't do any of that this time, just did NYCC, did a little walking in Times Square to get my favorite Chicken/Lamb Rice Mediterrean food cart. I did go see Gravity in Imax 3D when I was there. Highly recommend it.

Didn't know the Hulkster was charging $80 for an autograph. Wow! And yes he did have a big ass line. I agree too much for him. Don't know if you noticed but you know who had the biggest line ... Jason David Frank. Yes the Power Ranger. I visited the auto area a couple of times on Saturday and was there for hours on Sunday and the whole time his line was the longest, reaching past the entry chains into the concrete floor area. Yes he was "only" charging $20 but there were others that were cheap too but his line was forever long. But here's a cool story, the last signing on Sunday was Sleepy Hollow. I was lucky and maybe 15 from when they cut off the line. Well to the cast's credit, they were friendly talkative and allowed photos so it took forever and by the time I got up front the whole autograph pavilion area was closed and clear. Jason David Frank had just wrapped up his line so was walking off his platform and a couple of people in front of me asked for his autograph and he was totally accomodating and signed them ... for free ... so I walked up and asked him to sign my badge, the only thing I had available. He totally did and gave me a high five and left. (At the very least, I promise to post a picture of my signed badge!)

Anyways, I enjoyed it, and despite Tazer's razzing, I'd recommend checking NYCC out at least once and soon before it gets too big which could be coming soon. I think it's just a matter of time before it evolves more into SDCC East which some already are calling it but it's NOT there yet. It's got at least 3 or 4 more years and maybe never since I don't think these big corporations are going to invest in attending 2 con's over 3 months on complete opposite coasts.

Last edited by UltimateFighter; 10-30-2013 at 11:15 PM.
UltimateFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #99
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateFighter View Post
Yes the East Coast is fun and has so much history to see. I actually was out here in the summer, my sister in-law got married, so the family made it a vacation stay and we too took a rental car and visited Boston and Philly. I did Fenway Park, the Freedom Trail and Minute Men in Boston. Checked out Independence Hall, Freedom Bell and even the Rocky Statue in Philly and of course NYC with Times Square, Statue of Liberty, 9/11 Memorial and more. It's pretty awesome! Didn't do any of that this time, just did NYCC, did a little walking in Times Square to get my favorite Chicken/Lamb Rice Mediterrean food cart. I did go see Gravity in Imax 3D when I was there. Highly recommend it.

Anyways, I enjoyed it, and despite Tazer's razzing, I'd recommend checking NYCC out at least once and soon before it gets too big which could be coming soon. I think it's just a matter of time before it evolves more into SDCC East which some already are calling it but it's NOT there yet. It's got at least 3 or 4 more years and maybe never since I don't think these big corporations are going to invest in attending 2 con's over 3 months on complete opposite coasts.
My wife and I did a good deal of what you mentioned, but because of the Government shutdown, everything was closed, including all of the museums and all the memorials in DC, which sucked. Despite that, we still had a great time. Fortunately for us, this wasn't our first time out; we did the Statue of Liberty, Empire State, Rockefeller and NYC tour stuff the first time around. In addition, the weather held up for most of the trip. Initially, rain was in the forecast for our entire stay, but it ended up being pretty nice and mild, besides a bit of humidity.

We visited Yankee Stadium this time around, and I did so wearing my Giants jersey. I'm shocked nobody said anything. Perhaps next time, we'll get out to Boston and check out Fenway Park. I was a bit disappointed that we never got the chance to get out to Coney Island (because it was too far) or to Central Park.

Regarding NYCC, I don't think the media will take over because the venue isn't large enough. The show is bursting at the seams as is. If it turned into a media frenzy show, like SDCC, there wouldn't be space for anything else, even with the south side opened; Javits just isn't big enough to accomodate such an undertaking. Then again, you never know. Money talks.

Here are some more photos from NYCC 2013 not in my blog: