The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Events & Fan Meetups
FLASHCHAT

Old 08-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
Jay Burg
American Bad Ass

Default Wondercon 2014

... When the fuck ???

Frisco or Anaheim???

Five Guys or In and Out ???

McFly or Buehller ???

Team Cyclops !!! ...Screw Wolverine.
Jay Burg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

From what I've read, it's still up in the air, but it looks like the show is going to stay in Anaheim. After all, they renamed it "WonderCon Anaheim." In addition, the show's attendance increased dramatically over the last couple of years:

2009: 34,000
2010: 39,000
2011: 49,500

Even though CCI is a Non-Profit Organization, money and the Hollywood influence have a good deal to do with the decision to stay in SoCal. Allegedly.

Regarding the open dates for Moscone, here they are as of August 1st:

3/7-3/9: Free
3/14-3/16: Free
3/21-3/23: Free
3/28-3/30: North booked 3/28 and 3/29 for MacWorld (WonderCon typically only uses South, but I doubt they'd have it the same weekend as MacWorld)

4/4-4/6: North booked 4/4-4/5 for Rock & Roll Marathon, North & South 4/5-4/6 for Surgeon Conference
4/11-4/13: Free
4/18-4/20: Free
4/25-4/27: West booked on 4/25 for Materials Research, North booked on 4/26-4/27 for Plastic Surgery conference. South not booked yet.

We'll see if CCI does the right thing and returns the show to its roots, OR gives into the almighty dollar.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
Jay Burg
American Bad Ass

i heard rumor that it was gonna split into two shows, north and south.

i jus want it back up here.

Team Cyclops !!! ...Screw Wolverine.
Jay Burg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:20 AM   #4
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

I would attend Wonder Con in Anaheim again, I loved the 2013 show.
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:50 AM   #5
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Burg View Post

Heard that too.

I may not be able to attend WonderCon if it's in San Francisco if it's at the end of March or in April due to the way my work schedule is setting up.

Darth_Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:47 AM   #6
nevermore
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Burg View Post

I heard that as well and agree completely...we need it back in SF. The shitty thing about splitting it will be if they do it close together than I think they will split the starpower and I would bet SoCal would get more.

-Henry Adams
nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Yeah, plus if WonderCon North is held in October, which is when APE, it will also compete for the industry's talent with New York ComicCon.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
UltimateFighter
Fatality's Blacksmith

Bring it back here!!

And no diluted shit ... ie WC North or "expanded" APE!

WonderCon was doing just fine up here and growing. Comic Con owes us. Anaheim owes us. There would be no Wondercon to even bring it down south without us making it what it is today and growing it. WonderCon is ours. Even if they split it or choose to keep it down south, they need to change the name entirely. Sort of like Seattle SuperSonics vs OKC Thunder. Sure they moved the franchise but they didn't take the SuperSonic name with them to Oklahoma! That's BS!

Last edited by UltimateFighter; 08-15-2013 at 09:57 PM.
UltimateFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

WonderCon Anaheim 2014: April 18-20!

Quote:
WonderCon Anaheim returns in 2014 for another big weekend of comics and the popular arts at the beautiful Anaheim Convention Center on April 18, 19, and 20 (Easter weekend). With over 56,000 attendees in 2013 (and only the second year in Anaheim), WonderCon Anaheim continues to be one of the top comics and pop culture events in the country. 2014 marks the event’s 28th continuous year.

We’re working on the special guest list as you read this. The official Exhibitor Application Form for WCA 2014 is now available … if you’re interested in exhibiting in our giant Exhibit Hall, you’ll want to get that form in early, as this show tends to sell out of space quickly. Click here to download the Exhibitor Application.

Check back for more info as we rocket towards 2014, including the Exhibitor Application, our first round of special guest announcements, hotel reservations at our official headquarters hotel, and badge sales. Make sure you have a Member ID in order to purchase a badge for WonderCon Anaheim 2014, and save the dates: Easter weekend, April 18–20, at the Anaheim Convention Center! - See more at: http://www.comic-con.org/toucan/wond....0lTLkBoS.dpuf
Not sure if I'll be able to attend since it's on Easter Weekend.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Although I said WC is dead to me, I've actually been reconsidering about this particular show. I might be able to get a couple of friends to cosplay as a group, which would be fun. Just sucks that the show is on Easter weekend.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
nevermore
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Damn I was really hoping it would be back.

-Henry Adams
nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #12
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I've pretty much lost all hope that WonderCon in the Spring will ever come back to San Francisco.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:59 PM   #13
projectile
Sidekick

Wondercon tickets are on sale now

" He who does not punish evil commands it to be done."-Leonardo da Vinci
projectile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #14
UltimateFighter
Fatality's Blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectile View Post
Wondercon tickets are on sale now
Got mine.

Notice came out that they're starting to run low so anyone interested should go and get now.

So who's going?
Old 04-19-2014, 06:46 AM   #15
UltimateFighter
Fatality's Blacksmith

So who attended? Anyone? Our own Tanya Tate was here but didn't notice anyone else.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:22 AM   #16
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I was fortunate to be able to attend this year's WonderCon. I wasn't sure if I would be able to attend because of my work schedule, so I initially bought a Saturday only badge, but when I found I could attend, I bought a Friday and Sunday pass. However, I did not attend on Sunday because I decided to take the first flight back home and spend Easter with my wife.

I attended WonderCon 5 years in a row when it was in my backyard in San Francisco, but when it moved to Anaheim I wasn't able to attend due to work schedule or other conflicts. I was thrilled to have the opportunity to attend this year's event because I've never been to the Anaheim Convention Center and WonderCon has the SDCC feel with it's Hollywood panels with exclusive footage, warm & beautiful weather and the mass of people and beautiful cosplayers.

I had a great time at WonderCon. It was easy to get into the Arena (The Hall H of WonderCon) as there was plenty of seating. I don't think any of the panels in the arena were filled to capacity, so you could show up for a panel like Godzilla/Dawn of the Planet of the Apes like a few minutes before it started and still get into the Arena.

There were some pretty good deals to be found on Friday like these Justice League statues for $25 each (regular price around $40), but on Saturday most of the prices returned to market value.

As tradition by folks that attend a convention, here's some of my con haul.

I didn't bring a lot of comics to have signed because I wanted to travel light, but I got most of the signatures from artists and writers. I wasn't able to get Gail Simone's or Francis Manapul's signatures.

I picked up a few more fanboy shirts and picked up the Age of Apocalypse hardcover omnibus and the exclusive 3D cover version of Sandman #1.

I got signed prints from world famous cosplayer, Yaya Han and a fellow SF Bay area resident, Abby Dark Star.

Last edited by Darth_Primus; 04-21-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #17
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Red face

Some videos from WonderCon

WONDERCON, BITCHES!
Interviews with dah best cosplayers. Awkward fun is had by all.
Featuring:
Abby Dark-Star (Shanna, the She-Devil)
https://www.facebook.com/abbydarkstar[/QUOTE]

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Miss out on WonderCon, 2014? Well, then you missed the once-in-a-lifetime Batman 75th Anniversary panel featuring Kevin Conroy, Jim Lee, Bruce Timm, Peter Girardi, Kevin Smith and Ralph Garman. But never fear, we're bringing it to you in this exclusive Batman Month bonus clip from DC All Access![/QUOTE]

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Quote:
Our 2nd day on the floor and Jessica brings the best DEADPOOL cosplays PLUS exclusive interviews with Dawn of the Planet of the Apes' ANDY SERKIS, Son of Batman's JASON O'MARA and X-Men: Days of Future Past's SIMON KINBERG & more on a special Saturday episode of Nerdist News w/ Jessica Chobot!
+ YouTube Video

Wicked GODZILLA Reveal & More! (Nerdist News @ WONDERCON w/ Jessica Chobot)

Quote:
Get your BEST look at GODZILLA yet, plus a Guardians of the Galaxy one shot feat. ROCKET RACCOON and GROOT, Astonishing X-Men/Black Widow writer MARJORIE LIU stops by and a preview of the Wondercon floor on Nerdist News w/ Jessica Chobot, straight from the Nerdist booth at WONDERCON 2014!

+ YouTube Video

Last edited by Darth_Primus; 04-25-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #18
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Abby (Shanna) Interview: WonderCon 2014

+ YouTube Video

Old 04-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #19
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Kassem G: California On WonderCon 2

+ YouTube Video

Kassem G: WonderCon 2 EXTRAS

+ YouTube Video

Old 05-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #20
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I should have my photos from WonderCon in about two weeks.

Here's some photos from the WonderCon website photo gallery:

Old 06-07-2014, 11:16 PM   #21
TanyaTate
Honored Guest

I love Wondercon. Kind of gets me ready for SDCC LOL
TanyaTate is offline   Reply With Quote