Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emerald City Comic Con

Is anyone going to the ECCC?

I live here and I couldn't afford it this year. Guests seemed vacuous. How many times have I seen Nichelle Nichols?

Photo gallery here: http://www.komonews.com/seattlerefin...253083371.html
    Evergreen City
    Corps Den Mother
    Last edited by Evergreen City; 03-30-2014, 11:19 PM.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.

Comment

I'm not sure how the guest list seemed vacuous to you, EC. Typically, these shows book anyone they can... and I've never seen Nichelle Nichols.

I attended the show and will post pics shortly.

Comment

So, how was the show?
        You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
          I'm not sure how the guest list seemed vacuous to you, EC.

Vacuous: "having or showing a lack of thought or intelligence." Yes, they invited anyone they could. Which is precisely the problem. These were not intelligent picks, they were what was available. Plus, those who came weren't the ones I wanted to hear from. So maybe it's my interest in the comicdom genre that's vacuous right now. I resist paying $500 a weekend for panels that say nothing, dealer rooms that sell crap, and vendors that tell you that you're happy with the new 52, it's what you're getting, live with it, you'll get to like it, etc etc ad nauseaum. Cons have gotten out of hand. They're just big business now. Look at what's happened to San Diego. You can't even get in unless you've been there multiple times before.

For me the perfect con is a bunch of guys getting together with their long boxes and a few toys, and having a friendly exchange.

As for Nichelle, I love and respect her dearly. I served as her bodyguard for a day at a Star Trek con in the 1970s. Seen her a couple of other times too. She and the late Jimmy Doohan are/were good people. Sylent, I'm a lot older than I look.

Hope ya got a good shot of those five guys being The Flash. They were cool!

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.

Comment

How much was a 3 day badge for ECCC?
            You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

Originally posted by Evergreen City View Post
              Vacuous: "having or showing a lack of thought or intelligence." Yes, they invited anyone they could. Which is precisely the problem. These were not intelligent picks, they were what was available. Plus, those who came weren't the ones I wanted to hear from. So maybe it's my interest in the comicdom genre that's vacuous right now. I resist paying $500 a weekend for panels that say nothing, dealer rooms that sell crap, and vendors that tell you that you're happy with the new 52, it's what you're getting, live with it, you'll get to like it, etc etc ad nauseaum. Cons have gotten out of hand. They're just big business now. Look at what's happened to San Diego. You can't even get in unless you've been there multiple times before.

For me the perfect con is a bunch of guys getting together with their long boxes and a few toys, and having a friendly exchange.

As for Nichelle, I love and respect her dearly. I served as her bodyguard for a day at a Star Trek con in the 1970s. Seen her a couple of other times too. She and the late Jimmy Doohan are/were good people. Sylent, I'm a lot older than I look.

Hope ya got a good shot of those five guys being The Flash. They were cool!
              Typically, most comic conventions book anyone they can just to get the average Joe to attend. Most book B-list celebs, wrestlers and voice actors, which have next to nothing to do with comics. If you're looking for a strictly comic-centric show, you won't find one anymore. Those days are long gone... and if you want to talk vacuous, take a quick gander at WonderCon's guest list.

Those Flash guys were cool. This was my favorite photo from the ECCC.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
                How much was a 3 day badge for ECCC?
                Barry Zito, or 75. Well worth the price of admission, in my opinion.

Comment

I slapped together blog coverage for this show. The link is in my signature. You will find all of the photos there. Enjoy!

Comment

2015 Update

March 27-29, 2015
                    Seattle
                    http://emeraldcitycomiccon.com

I'll be going to see http://jimcalafiore.com/ for his work on Red Lanterns. Looks like there will be lots of good guests this year. See you there.

Noir Movies! Late Night Every Saturday http://moviestvnetwork.com/noir

Comment

I looked into this show, and the celebrity guest list is great, but the artists and writers leave a little to be desired. A group of friends and I are still on the fence about this show... and I have a bit of a scheduling conflict because Wrestlemania is the same weekend.

Comment

I live down the street from this but haven't gone in a few years now. Looking at the guest list... meeting Clark Gregg might be fun, other than that...

Comment

It would only be fun if you're the only one there, and you had time to interact. If there's a crowd, they herd you through the line like cattle. It's "Hi, how are you?" *shake hands* "Smile for the camera!" *CLICK* Next!

...and all of that takes place within 20 seconds or less.

When I met Cree Summer last year, there wasn't a great deal of people, so I actually got to talk to her, which was cool.

Comment

Working...
                          X