This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Maze Runner

I thought the first two thirds of the film was intriguing and entertaining as it was like a mashup between Lord of the Flies and LOST.

The film didn't get great reviews, but I liked it and look forward to the sequel.

3/5
    You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff View Post
      The scene that stood out for me as far as bitchy Anakin goes was when he and Padme were in Padme's room on Coruscant and he was going through his "it's not fair!" crap and then she's like "Don't look at me that way." When he lost his mother in his arms? I wanted to fucking die.
      Didn't his madre die after the Coruscant scene?

Comment

• Originally posted by Booster Beetle View Post
        Didn't his madre die after the Coruscant scene?
        Yes, you are correct.

Comment

• Lone Survivor (2013)

"Moderation is for cowards."

Really liked this. Now I want to read the book. Actually, I wanted to read it before, but more so now.

Comment

• Son of Frankenstein (1939)

There are literally so many good one liners out of this film that it's hard to choose, so here are a few:

Baron Wolf von Frankenstein: "Hanged you... well, why did they hang you?"
            Ygor: "Because I stole bodies... they said..."

Ygor: [laughing] "I died living they all died dead."

Baron Wolf von Frankenstein: "Bullets. Crude bullets in his heart but he still lives. "

Ygor: "They hanged me once Frankenstein. They broke my neck. They said I was dead. Then they cut me down. They threw me in here, long ago. They wouldn't bury me in holy place like churchyard. Because I stole bodies, eh they said. So, Ygor is dead! So, Dr. Frankenstein. Nobody can mend Ygor's neck. It's alright."

Out of all the Frankenstein movies, this one is my favorite because it is so dark and moody, and the ascending score is perhaps one of my favorite horror scores of all time. This one didn't have the lavishness of James Whale, nor did it have a talking monster, but it did have one thing the other two did not: Bela Lugosi as Ygor. Most people connect him with Dracula as his defining role (and rightfully should) but when I hear his name, I always come back to this movie, because his performance was the break-out star of the movie.

Basil Rathbone also plays a most interesting Frankenstein. He's not a blubbering fool like poor old Henry, nor is he a sicko like Dr. Pretorious. He lies strictly in the realm of science and not godhood. Of course, I'm sure he had to contractually say "It's alive!" at some point in the film. Likewise, Lionel Atwill's performance is his defining role for me, and you can see how "Young Frankenstein" took so many visual and dialogue-related cues from "Son."

What's most important, for me, though, is Karloff's performance. Gone is the talking monster (which I wasn't all that crazy about anyways), and he has been boiled down to his very core elements- the apathy and pathos of this poor creature makes me sad; this being never asked to be created, nor did he ask for a malfunctioning brain, nor a hideous visual. The mirror scene with his "brother" makes me very emotional because he knows he has no choice over what he is, and not having that choice is what drives him mad. Ygor's influence over the creature is interesting; something I wish they had explored further in terms of "ok, what is he doing that makes the monster so obedient?"

Oh yeah, and mobbing villagers. Can't forget the mobbing villagers. (Somewhere, Mary Shelley is turning over in her grave wondering where the fuck they got these crazy villagers from)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff View Post
              Son of Frankenstein (1939) ... Out of all the Frankenstein movies, this one is my favorite because it is so dark and moody, and the ascending score is perhaps one of my favorite horror scores of all time. . .
              Interesting. You are probably the first person I've heard not pick one of the two Whale films. It's not my favorite, but I do think it's a bit underrated and I love the German-Expressionist-influenced set design.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                Interesting. You are probably the first person I've heard not pick one of the two Whale films. It's not my favorite, but I do think it's a bit underrated and I love the German-Expressionist-influenced set design.
                I do have lots of love for Whale's movies; I just like this one better. Plus Donnie Dunagan.

"Weeeeelllllllllllllllllll Hello!"

Comment

• The Amityville Haunting (2011)

This found-footage sequel was so bad---worse than the Paranormal Activity sequels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                    The Amityville Haunting (2011)

This found-footage sequel was so bad---worse than the Paranormal Activity sequels.
                    *memo to self-do not watch this film*

I think the only Amityville film I actually liked was the one filmed in 3-D with the creature.

Comment

• Stonehearst Assylum (2014)

"We're all mad Dr. Newgate. Some are simply not mad enough to admit it."

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                      *memo to self-do not watch this film*

I think the only Amityville film I actually liked was the one filmed in 3-D with the creature.
                      I like the first movie and the sequel, which was a prequel actually. The remake (with Ryan Reynolds) was alright.
                      Space Cop
                      The Dandy
                      Last edited by Space Cop; 02-08-2015, 12:37 AM.

Comment

• The Masque of the Red Death (1964)

"Each man creates for himself his own God. His own Heaven. His own Hell."

An expansion of Poe's short tale, which was only about the masquerade which is shown at the end of the film. This adaptation (86 min) shows Prince Prospero (Vincent Price) seeking to keep the Red Death plague from killing himself and his castle's guests, though you quickly see that the man and his ilk are more deserving of a terrible fate than the peasants they callously abandon. This adaptation also inserts Satanic cult elements.

The visuals are pretty good, with quite a variety of costumes (especially at the end). It's very ethereal in a way, and the Red Death as a character adds a lot of depth to the world by the time you reach the closing credits.

You can get this on a double-disc with Madhouse, which is how I bought it. Definitely worth owning both.

Highly recommend.
                        Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Project A-2 (1987)

"You can't go around mugging ladies on the street.
                          -But we're muggers.
                          Then mug someone else."

Comment

• Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

Favorite Quotes: Pretty much anything Una O'Connor (Minnie) says.

Since I had the Frankenstein box set out anyways, I chose to watch this last night. I'd forgotten how camp and comedic this romp of a film was; telltale signs of a James Whale film. There are some genuine horrific moments, but they are so laced with satire that it's hard to take this very seriously, even for fiction. But I give props to Elsa Lanchester and Boris Karloff simply for creating some of the most iconic characters in the history of cinema (with a little help from Jack Pierce).

And Karl. Poor Karl.

Comment

• Hick (2011)

"I think you find me worthy of note."

Comment

• John Wick

A classic action film, that has very little plot or development of its characters. Just straight up "I'm going to kill you" type of movie with a lot of well choreographed gun-fu.

I found the movie very entertaining and would watch it again.

4/5
                                You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

Working...
                                X