No announcement yet.

Notable Events of Vol3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks a lot for the discussion, kinda thought a thread about old comics would be dead-on-arrival! Will incorporate these into the top list. If anyone wants, feel free to update the list in a new post, and I will copy-paste back to the top. I have to work so won't be able to update the list for a while.

Another thing, somewhere near the end of the run, issue #176 I believe, Kyle returns from a space mission, to find Jade cheating on him. Question is, when did this relationship start (Jade is hot, even green I'd totally hit it), and when did this space mission start? The mission thingy sounded pretty interesting (love sci-fi) but I was lost starting in the middle of it.

Comment

Green Lantern #9 - Introduction of the greatest Lantern of them all - G'Nort (A Guy and his G'Nort #9-12)

It's hard to get a good copy though. All my GL from the beginning of vol 3 have deteriorated very much

Comment

Originally posted by SocializingMogo View Post
        Green Lantern #9 - Introduction of the greatest Lantern of them all - G'Nort (A Guy and his G'Nort #9-12)

It's hard to get a good copy though. All my GL from the beginning of vol 3 have deteriorated very much
        That's a good one to add. When does G'nort get his "real" ring?

edit: Apparently Gnort first appears in JLI #10
        sundrop
        Fatality's Blacksmith
        Last edited by sundrop; 06-04-2014, 09:58 PM.

Comment

He gets his real ring in issue #13, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by sundrop View Post
            Thanks a lot for the discussion, kinda thought a thread about old comics would be dead-on-arrival! Will incorporate these into the top list. If anyone wants, feel free to update the list in a new post, and I will copy-paste back to the top. I have to work so won't be able to update the list for a while.

Another thing, somewhere near the end of the run, issue #176 I believe, Kyle returns from a space mission, to find Jade cheating on him. Question is, when did this relationship start (Jade is hot, even green I'd totally hit it), and when did this space mission start? The mission thingy sounded pretty interesting (love sci-fi) but I was lost starting in the middle of it.
            Issue #86 is when Jade showed up at Kyle's apartment looking for a place to stay, two issues later Donna left Kyle after her ex hubby and son were killed in a car accident. IDK when exactly Kyle and Jade became an item, sometime during Emerald Knights I think cause by #107 they were already in a budding relationship. The mission in space started at the end of the two-part Hate Crime arc that had Kyle's gay friend get beaten to near death, in issue #155. By issue #161 Kyle and Jade had a pregnancy scare and in the end she decided to move back to Earth. #162-164 had Kyle teaming with the resurrected Ollie Queen after returning to Earth short term to take on the Black Circle which also introduced Abin Sur's evil son Amon Sur. It was issue #177 where Kyle walked in on another man in his shower after his journey in space met it's end [at the time anyway] and in the end he and Jade called it quits.

Issue #81 was the funeral of Hal Jordan after Final Night. #83-85 was the initial Fatality arc/introduction. Hard Traveling Heroes: the Next Generation ran in GL #76-77 with the other parts being in Green Arrow. Hero Quest ran from issues #71-73 and had Kyle learn lessons from Batman, Wonder Woman, and Capt. Marvel. Parallax View ran from issues #63-64 and returned Hal after his supposed death in #0.

Hope this helps!

~KL~

Comment

Issue #81 was pretty bad though. And HTH: TNG also collects #91 think.

EDIT
              GL #92 is part of the Emerald Allies TPB.
              SocializingMogo
              Corps Honor Guard
              Last edited by SocializingMogo; 06-05-2014, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Screw you, hippie. #81 was great, and honored Hal in a way unseen since.

In unrelated news, #86 is my favorite GL issue of all time.
                The last fan of 1990s comics
                Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
                  Screw you, hippie. #81 was great, and honored Hal in a way unseen since.
                  Hal just killed the entire GL corps, tried to kill and remake the entire universe, showed during Kyle's time as a Lantern how much a jerk he is, still is a jerk in Final Night and then, just because he finally made up his mind on being good again they dedicate #81 to Hal where they honor him and tell stories of his greatness and stuff?
                  Fuck that!

Comment

Originally posted by SocializingMogo View Post
                    Hal just killed the entire GL corps, tried to kill and remake the entire universe, showed during Kyle's time as a Lantern how much a jerk he is, still is a jerk in Final Night and then, just because he finally made up his mind on being good again they dedicate #81 to Hal where they honor him and tell stories of his greatness and stuff?
                    Fuck that!
                    Well, considering that all that bad Hal stuff was pulled out of nowhere just for shock value, I think it was rather nice to remind readers that, recent hatchet job notwithstanding, Hal Jordan was actually a hero...

Comment

It just makes more sense now with Parallax being retconned into a fear entity. It was Parallax who did the bad stuff, Hal was still a hero. I just loved the standard cover with everyone in the DCU holding a green flame. And back then Swamp Thing didn't appear much in the mainstream DCU, but he showed up to grow the garden...

~KL~

Comment

I'm not sure that it made a LOT more sense, but given the hatchet job that had been done on Hal up until then, it was kind of necessary (IMHO, anyway) to do something like that if he was going to come back as a hero.

(Ironically, given that Goeff was working so hard at scrubbing Hal's reputation, after Barry was brought back from the dead, this whole funeral was apparently retconned out with a scene where Hal talks with Barry and says that Barry was remembered as a hero at his funeral, while Hal was not. So while Geoff was working to make Hal a hero again, he also decided to retcon things so that Hal was judged far more harshly after his death than we saw in the actual comic.)

Comment

It was two years between though (in human years)...

I blame the Guardians for Parallax. Had they tried to have a rational conversation instead of being a**holes then perhaps Jordan would have calmed down enough to become reasonable again.

What bothers me primarily is there wasn't enough foreshadowing. It shoulda been at least a 20-issue foreshadowing arc that prepared the groundwork for Hal losing it. Also, the constant return of Hal as a good guy = silly.

Comment

I blame the Guardians for Parallax. Had they tried to have a rational conversation instead of being a**holes then perhaps Jordan would have calmed down enough to become reasonable again.
                            That, too, was somewhat uncharacteristic of them, but it served the desired plot, so...

What bothers me primarily is there wasn't enough foreshadowing. It shoulda been at least a 20-issue foreshadowing arc that prepared the groundwork for Hal losing it.
                            Well, yeah, if they were going to do it, that would have been the way to do it right. Unfortunately that was impossible, since they made the whole thing up AFTER issue #47 was written (that's why they skipped a month of publishing GL). They scrapped the story they already had (and had solicited) and brought Marz in to write Hal going cuckoo (and wouldn't give him any more than three issues to do it, even though he wanted more, since it HAD to be done by the nice round anniversary of issue #50). So the lack of forshadowing is to be expected.

Comment

Hal was angry at the Guardians for years, but it wasn't enough. He just snapped with the Coast City debacle. They definitely needed more lead-in time. At the very least, #47 should've been skipped!
                              The last fan of 1990s comics
                              Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
                                At the very least, #47 should've been skipped!
                                That would have been a good idea for more than one reason. Skipping #47 would have helped with the setup for #48-50 because they would have avoided all the exposition about Hal coming to terms with the loss of Coast City, and moving forward that made it so jarring when the next issue showed him mad with grief from the very beginning.

Plus skipping #47 would have been good simply because, independent of any other consideration, it just sucked, plain and simple.

Comment

Working...
                                X