The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 5
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 5
View Poll Results: Justice League: Darkside War - Green Lantern
* 0 0%
** 0 0%
*** 2 15.38%
**** 4 30.77%
***** 7 53.85%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2015, 05:41 PM   #26
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I hate to just say yes or no. It was a pretty good issue; more philosophical and esoteric than action (centered around the concept of what Hal would do with the power of a god)
We've already seen what he would do. He'd erase the universe and create a new one.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:52 PM   #27
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
We've already seen what he would do. He'd erase the universe and create a new one.
Well, we've seen what he'd do under editorial fiat, anyway.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 11-12-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:02 PM   #28
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
True. Actually, they should've addressed that this issue, but instead they acted as if this was Hal's first time with godlike omnipotence.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:22 PM   #29
Mister Ed

Quote:
True. Actually, they should've addressed that this issue, but instead they acted as if this was Hal's first time with godlike omnipotence.
Of course, for all we know, it IS his first time with godlike omnipotence in the current continuity. It is at least his first time with such power when he wasn't being manipulated by Parallax, under the last continuity that addressed such matters explicitly.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:51 PM   #30
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Haven't picked up my comics in the last two weeks, but I'm getting this one. I haven't read anything from this arc so I'm in and out with this one issue.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:39 PM   #31
jhpace1
Corpse Trainee

Three stars.

I'm not going to rehash all the comments above. Hal's characterization was good; I'll say that I didn't like the artwork because it suffered bipolar disorder, sometime good, sometimes cartoonish. The concept of a Mother Box merging with the Central Power Battery and then becoming a Mother Ring was something we should leave for a future alternate Earth story. New God Hal vs Parallax, anyone? But of course with the ultimate machine comes the ultimate deus ex machina.

This issue was like a Marvel Infinity Gauntlet What If? A nice solo, but don't read too much into it. I found all the "flashbacks" between Young Hal and NG Hal to be inadvertent to the story.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:32 AM   #32
IonFan
Forum Member

omg i just realized this issue show us once again just how great Kyle is, think about it the 1st time Hal becomes a god he goes crazy right off the bat this time he give it up after 5 minutes cause he fears going crazy again. Kyle on the other hand became a god for a week but gives it up cause S-man was all jealous and sh!t (plus it was the only way to restart the Corps), then he became a god once again for a year this time til Sin. pulled it out of him, then he became a Super-Lantern (for like 5 minutes) but had to give it up cause the power was too much for him, now he's got the power of a god but he's still only human (til DC took that power away from him for some reason )

btw my new WP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k the "Deep-State" and screw all the fake news, one year in and I still support our President one
Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #33
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
omg i just realized this issue show us once again just how great Kyle is, think about it the 1st time Hal becomes a god he goes crazy right off the bat this time he give it up after 5 minutes cause he fears going crazy again. Kyle on the other hand became a god for a week but gives it up cause S-man was all jealous and sh!t (plus it was the only way to restart the Corps), then he became a god once again for a year this time til Sin. pulled it out of him, then he became a Super-Lantern (for like 5 minutes) but had to give it up cause the power was too much for him, now he's got the power of a god but he's still only human (til DC took that power away from him for some reason)
Are you sure you read it? He didn't go crazy at all. He just didn't want to stay a god. So he did everything he needed to do and gave it up. He wasn't having a breakdown or anything. He just decided it would mess with his fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants mojo and calmly (even rationally--going over the options with his ring) undid it.

Last edited by Space Cop; 11-16-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Space Cop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 02:52 AM   #34
IonFan
Forum Member

got to read between the lines SC

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k the "Deep-State" and screw all the fake news, one year in and I still support our President one
Donald J. Trump
Old 11-15-2015, 06:18 PM   #35
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL
Default :Moderator:

Quote:
got to read between the lines SC
There's nothing between the lines to read...

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:14 AM   #36
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_GL View Post
There's nothing between the lines to read...
right.
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:33 PM   #37
Tommy Boy
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
I remember Hal celebrating Hanukkah in the cartoon, but besides that, what are all these clues that Hal's dad was Jewish? I'm usually pretty quick to spot even minor details about a character's religious background (side effect of having been a theology grad student) and I don't recall them in the comic.

Oh, and way to go ComicVine in misspelling "Protestant." Such an obscure, new word.

EDIT: Actually, the comic says the opposite: mom Jewish, dad Catholic.
He didn't misspell it. He's a Protistan, a worshipper of protists.

*insert crappy biology rimshot here*
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:37 PM   #38
IonFan
Forum Member

got a question, when did OA come back? after re-reading this issue (and i can't believe i didn't see it before) but Hal was fighting on OA and not MoGo the new home of the GLC cause the old one blew up sometime ago

or is this one of DC's new "We have no continuity what-so-ever anymore" thing?

IonFan says

Quote:
Donald J. Trump
Old 11-18-2015, 10:56 PM   #39
Mister Ed

Quote:
or is this one of DC's new "We have no continuity what-so-ever anymore" thing?
Pretty much that.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:08 AM   #40
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I picked up my book tonight and hadn't been there in three weeks. They didn't have this issue for me or Omega Men #6. But hell, I haven't read anything from the annual #4 onward so I'm not in a big hurry. I pulled my growing stack out of my nightstand drawer to make an effort to get caught up, but this Star Wars Battlefront with my son are hard to pull away from.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:33 AM   #41
CeltiC5-27
Weaponer of Qward

Can Tom King be the new Green Lantern writer please???? This issue was great! Best Hal Jordan story I've read in years. Tom King gets Hal Jordan's characterization perfectly! A lot better than Venditti does anyway. And I wouldn't mind seeing Doc Shaner on GL too. His art has an old school look to it and I think it looks good with the GL universe.

5 stars from me

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527
CeltiC5-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:49 PM   #42
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I picked up my book tonight and hadn't been there in three weeks. They didn't have this issue for me or Omega Men #6. But hell, I haven't read anything from the annual #4 onward so I'm not in a big hurry. I pulled my growing stack out of my nightstand drawer to make an effort to get caught up, but this Star Wars Battlefront with my son are hard to pull away from.
Now this I don't get. I get your collector's completism, but I don't know how you can insist you have to have a comic and then put it aside for weeks or months. I feel weird if I'm one day late to the discussion on the new GL issues here. Makes me kind of tense, like the guys here know something about GL I don't.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:23 PM   #43
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I've been going through a comic slump for a while now. I sometimes have to force myself to read them to get through the pile. It's been a lack of interest. The comics aren't as good and I find I really don't think about comics that much anymore. I'm buying them to try to maintain the routine, but I've been seriously considering walking away from the hobby for a few years now. I stay here because I like chatting with you guys and I'm very much still enjoying books, movies and tv shows so there's always something to talk about.

I feel like I need something really good to come out to renew my interest in the medium, because right now I'm at an all time low in my 30+ years of comic reading for being engaged in what's going on.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:05 PM   #44
jhpace1
Corpse Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I've been going through a comic slump for a while now. I sometimes have to force myself to read them to get through the pile. It's been a lack of interest. The comics aren't as good and I find I really don't think about comics that much anymore. I'm buying them to try to maintain the routine, but I've been seriously considering walking away from the hobby for a few years now. I stay here because I like chatting with you guys and I'm very much still enjoying books, movies and tv shows so there's always something to talk about.

I feel like I need something really good to come out to renew my interest in the medium, because right now I'm at an all time low in my 30+ years of comic reading for being engaged in what's going on.
You're not alone, Big Daddy Dave Skywalker. I talk regularly with my LCS owner, and the DCNew52 was a big money-maker for him. Lots of new readers came in. Young women loved the way Guy Gardner was portrayed as the "angry" GL.

I'm not hearing the same numbers here with the DC52You reboot. Golden Age, Silver Age, Copper Age, Iron Age - what's after Iron? That's where we've fallen to.

But hang in there, I've just learned to pick-and-choose among the leftover titles. Right now Sinestro is the best Lantern comic out there.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:53 AM   #45
Highball2814
Corps Recruit

When can we get the action figure? lol

Minus some of the continuity flubs, it was written really well. I agree this creative team would be better than the one we got.
Highball2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:10 AM   #46
Lundonj
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:
No, I think the issue was written with his previous decisions in mind. He actually came to a similar conclusion as he did to first become Parallax - only he could fix it, despite John's warning to not take the God job.

We didn't have a flashback balloon, it was more subtle, and I think really well written for a one shot. And the art was unique, simple line work that worked perfect for the story.

In this instance, he took his shot, realized what to do and did a reset. Kind of like he was trying to do before - agreeing or disagreeing with editorial fiats back in the day.

To me, this was a suggestion of what would have happened if Parallax won.

-Don

Last edited by Lundonj; 12-12-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Lundonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:12 AM   #47
Lundonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highball2814 View Post
When can we get the action figure? lol

Minus some of the continuity flubs, it was written really well. I agree this creative team would be better than the one we got.
It was only one story, but it seemed to combine nearly every take we have read of Hal - ever - rolled up in one book. I had to read a couple times, and the more I read it, the better it got.

So, yes, I agree, much better than the current creative team - although last issue finally got interesting in the regular series.

-Don
Old 12-12-2015, 12:16 AM   #48
Lundonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltiC5-27 View Post
Can Tom King be the new Green Lantern writer please???? This issue was great! Best Hal Jordan story I've read in years. Tom King gets Hal Jordan's characterization perfectly! A lot better than Venditti does anyway. And I wouldn't mind seeing Doc Shaner on GL too. His art has an old school look to it and I think it looks good with the GL universe.

5 stars from me
Five stars for me too. And I would love to see this creative team get another shot at GL.

-Don
Old 12-12-2015, 12:18 AM   #49
Lundonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Pretty much that.
DC is kind of doing the Marvel thing - which isn't always a good idea. The stories are all in continuity, they just place them on the timeline like a puzzle when they are all done.

And Geoff Johns ignores most of the reset stuff altogether, which I think is a decent strategy. Pushing for some sense of continuity rather than reset/reboot every 26 months.

-Don
Old 12-12-2015, 01:59 PM   #50
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundonj View Post
Five stars for me too. And I would love to see this creative team get another shot at GL.

-Don
FYI, it's no big deal, but in the future try "muli-quote" when you're doing these back-to-back replies. Hit the multi quote button for all the posts you want to quote in the order you want and make sure to hit "quote" for the last one. Then you can just reply in between the quote blocks (or even edit them down if you want to highlight certain sentences).