The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 5
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 5

Old 03-01-2015, 02:39 AM   #1
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

Default I Want Parallax on this title (Not the Bug)

Looking at the Convergence Green Lantern previews I refound my love for Parallax, not the yellow bug but the grey templed armor wearing Hal Jordan version. No I am not a "turn Hal villain so insert your alternative lantern here on the title' guy. I want Hal Jordan to remain the Green Lantern on this title. However I feel like Peter David's the Maestro was the ultimate foe, to his incredible Hulk. An older Hal Jordan, intent on fixing the universe, maybe with a Zoom like, make the younger Hal a 'better' hero by pushing him to up his game. For one thing the Darryl Banks armor design is one of the best costumes of the modern era. Secondly with Sinestro being an anti hero with his own title, Hal needs a new apex arch nemesis. Heroes overcoming an impossible situation makes for the highest drama. How could the GLC survive the Sinestro Corps war? How can Hal defeat a wiser more powerful version of himself? That would make for great drama.
EmeraldGladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:13 AM   #2
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

Default Newsrama convergence preview, can Parallax save the day?

I might get my wish post convergence per Newsarama.....
http://www.newsarama.com/24622-can-p...ce-finale.html
funny looking at Convergence, they mention the big multiverse altering events in the history of the DCU and it occurred to me that Parallax has done something even Darkseid hasn't, only the Anti-Monitor (never developed but got the rub of being the antagonist in DC's first mega event), Superboy Prime (Geoff's critique of fan boys), and the Flash in Flashpoint. These were the only multiverse altering events and post Convergence and JLA's Darkseid War, Parallax might be positioned to unseat Darkseid as DC's Thanos, (apex ultra villain).

Last edited by EmeraldGladiator; 05-23-2015 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:56 AM   #3
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL
Default :Moderator:

I'd be ok with that, but then what would happen to Nu52 Hal? It would be odd to have two Hals running around. I would much prefer Parallax to current Hal myself.

I have a feeling he'll make another "heroic sacrifice" though. But it is really cool to see him given such prominence in this title.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:05 AM   #4
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Lemme post a poll about that.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:16 AM   #5
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Having two Hal's run around with one being an enemy for Hal like the Maestro was to the Hulk? Sounds like it COULD be cool, but far too close for comfort for my tastes. Too much temptation for a hack writer to come along and do more damage that took considerable time and effort for Geoff Johns to undo. No thanks.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:53 AM   #6
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

We could have a non Hal Jordan Parallax I suppose?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:49 PM   #7
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

If you reboot Green Lantern, anybody could become Parallax. Not necessarily Hal. And that might be a good way to reduce the number of Earth Lanterns.

Hmmmmm. BAZ!!!!!!!!!!!
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:11 PM   #8
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn Lantern View Post
If you reboot Green Lantern, anybody could become Parallax. Not necessarily Hal. And that might be a good way to reduce the number of Earth Lanterns.

Hmmmmm. BAZ!!!!!!!!!!!
Bazallax?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:30 PM   #9
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

No I prefer the Maestro version, I wouldn't want Parallax as an everyday overused villain but more like Ra's or Thanos (used to be) big events every so often. I remember thinking back in the Kyle era, that Parallax was the first opportunity to have that great villain, that once was a hero. We had been told about how tight Xavier and Magneto were or the like but with Hal at the time, it would be great to see the JLA go against someone that saved the universe with them, that was in fact a founding member. As great as a character with a great costume as Parallax is, I wouldn't want it to be at the expense of Green Lantern Hal Jordan. There is a poll up about would you like a Hal Jordan Parallax title, I think yes will win for a couple of reasons. For all the GL fans of anyone except Hal, it moves him out of the way, and your favorite GL closer to the top spot. Also the Hal fans will probably vote for it because, Parallax Hal is in effect Earth 1/Post Crisis Hal, the one that had all the adventures we grew up with (except the Sinestro Corps War), GL Hal is Geoff Hal or worse yet New 52 Hal who hasn't done much to endear himself to the masses.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:35 PM   #10
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

Parralax like the Maestro is to the Hulk is a villain that has the same will, all the drive that made Hal the greatest GL of them all, plus years of experience, plus even more power, how can GL Hal triumph over that? Impossible situations are what a great hero is judged by, since Sinestro has been co-opted into anti-hero status, Hal needs a new arch enemy and Parallax fits that bill. Plus I would love to see Parallax slap down Sinestro, explaining to him the years of battling him, taught him the value of planning and that adding Hal's drive to Sinestro's planning makes him nigh impossible to defeat.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #11
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

Default Looking at GL solits

It appears that I may get my wish. Now I only wish that he is written correctly. If done correctly not as a one note antagonist, but a layered complex, version of pre-nu52 version of Hal. The current writer has yet to really move me, not hate but meh. I would have believed a New God's GL war would blow my socks off but it didn't. That being said nothing has since the Sinestro corps war. That being said Par(Hal) lax appearances in Telos and GL per solicits suggests a character that actually could excite me return is imminent.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:46 PM   #12
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL
Default :Moderator:

Well, now we will see what happens.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #13
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_GL View Post
Well, now we will see what happens.
Yep. I'm wondering how this even works. Some Convergence thing.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:13 PM   #14
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

Default Space Cop quick question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Yep. I'm wondering how this even works. Some Convergence thing.
Or anyone else that wants to hazard a guess, since where Hal's new 52 history starts and his pre 52 history ends has never been addressed, is this Par(Hal)lax supposed to be pre 52 Hal? Is this Hal the Convergence Hal? If so is this version actually influenced by the bug or not? The whole Superman Lois and Clark book has me curious if this Para(Hal)lax and Clark are in fact "supposed to be the de facto survivors of the universe we grew up with. If so I am not sure if I am happy that Clark gets a happily ever after, Bruce is dead and Hal gets stuck in villain mode. I know how DC is in "continuity hamstrings the writers" mode but if Bane broke Bruce's back is still in continuity, how can Azrael just now be introduced (in B & R eternal)?