The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 5
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 5

Old 06-11-2015, 04:14 AM   #1
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Question Hal's Eventual Crew...

I don't think for a second Hal will be running around solo for long. Seeing Hal take off to sector zero before taking that prince home or whomever had me wondering if that would be Hal's first crew member. Then I started thinking about how lame it would be if he got a crew comprised of all new original characters/aliens. But the GLC is in another dimension or something... so it's not like a ringless Stel or Kilowog will be joining Hal any time soon. But what of other ringbearers?

Here's a list of already existing characters I think would make good additions in a supporting cast. I'm looking at this still in the same vein as Firefly and GotG...

1.) Martian Manhunter - I'd ditch his MM alias and have him off world with limited powers after nearly being killed in a fire. He'd mostly be added to the group for his telepathy.

2.) Bro'Dee Walker - formerly a Blue Lantern and one of the most spiritual people in the galaxy. I could see him filling the position of healer or spiritual guide.

3.) Maul - I know what you're all thinking... he's a Wildstorm character and they just barely manage to work in the DCU. Key factors are he's an alien even still, and smart as a runt and as strong as a Hulk when bigger. He'd fill the obvious tanker role with J'onn being handicapped.

4.) Fatality - This would be a bit of a stretch, but let's say for the sake of argument she breaks free of the hold the Sapphires have on her and goes back to her old ways. Until finding out there are no longer Lanterns to hunt. She'd join Hal's crusade just so she could save the GLC to have something to hate on later. One of those "nobody kills John Stewart but ME!" rants...

5.) A LoSH-ish alien - it's always bugged me all the untapped potential for GL there is in the alien races introduced in LoSH. Maybe a male freedom fighter from Cargg who can triplicate? Or a ghost girl from Bgztl? Maybe if J'onn is unavailable Hal could pick up a telepath on Titan while in 2814?

6.) Another Tomar - I honestly just love how these guys look.

7.) A New God - I'm mostly thinking of places to stick Mr. Miracle and Barda after Darkseid War. I'd love to see Mr. Miracle in space with Hal as much as I would J'onn.

Now I'm not suggesting Hal have an eight man squad, and nowhere did anybody see me try and stick Captain Carrot or Ch'p into the picture for the sake of Rocket Raccoon fans. If I even got one character on the list along with Hal for awhile in space I'd be excited. I think the new status quo is interesting enough but for it to really work it's gotta keep doing things we haven't seen in GL or even DC space themed comics in awhile. What characters could you see adventuring in space with Hal? Or would you rather have a completely new cast of aliens? Could Hal just go Han Solo and manage well enough with somebody like Chewie?

~KL~
Old 06-11-2015, 12:56 PM   #2
Space Cop
The Dandy

Itty for the win!

Actually, a couple new characters would be fine with me. I don't see why that's so lame. I think it would be comparable to the New-Corps story line during Kyle's era.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:51 PM   #3
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

That's always the problem though with Hal's book. He's always taking a backseat so new supporting casts can be made then forgot about in 12 issues. Based off of the first issue post Convergence it almost seems like the little skinny prince guy is gonna be hanging around a bit. If/When Hal gets a crew, I hope it has a little more staying power than the New Guardians team which got old after about 5 issues in Blackest Night. Had the Omega Men not been used post Convergence Tygorr or whatever his name is would've made the list. I've always found him more interesting when running around solo [without the other Omega Men] like during R/T War.

Especially if you go by the GotG model, each character in that team was like 4th and 5th stringers who all improved greatly after being slightly reimagined and thrown into a team with a few other misfits. Drax was running around in a purple cape and about as dumb as you could get, Gamora wore a body suit of fishnets and had 80's rocker hair, and I had never even heard of Rocket or Groot until they joined the GotG. You put a bunch of no-name jobbers with Hal taking panel time for huge backstories and whatnot I don't see it helping the series or the new status quo.

And Kyle's New Corps lasted as long as that prestige series... a whole 2 issues. I'd have LOVED to see those characters return, the Russian girl could've made an interesting love interest for Kyle.... but alas it never got mentioned again. Off the top of my head I can even name most of those new Lanterns: judge Sool, Anya, Garl Rathbone, and the guy that died was Hameroon. Can't remember the badguy's name other than the fact he was from Van. Garl was probably my favorite. A four armed purple space trucker looking dude was perfect for that era...

~KL~
Old 06-12-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
Evergreen City
Corps Den Mother

No crew. No sidekicks. Keep the computer.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.
Evergreen City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #5
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

I like the idea of Hal having a crew, but I would hate for them to seem like throwaways and they would need a reason to be together - something that bonds them.

I like the idea that they tie in to other parts of DCU space stories like a New God or a familiar race, be it thanagarian or durlan. I wouldn't want anyone of J'Onzz's power level or anyone too familiar. Reinvented characters like Itty or even Flicker sounds fun.
Kane2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:50 PM   #6
Space Cop
The Dandy

Old 06-14-2015, 06:17 AM   #7
greenblogger
Fatality's Blacksmith

List looks interesting. I like the idea of having Maul come in. Hal having a crew would be good for one or two story arcs but I would still prefer him going solo.
greenblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #8
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

If he's on Earth he'll have a actual supporting cast and won't need a crew. Anyway if you try to use a character like the MM, the company guys will say, "No, wait, you can't use him because we have a great plan for him that's FINALLY going to get him over with the fans! This time for sure!"
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:07 PM   #9
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

If his new solo series tries and fails like it most likely will, traveling the stars with Hal might be good for him afterwards. He's been stuck on Earth for far too long. He's the last green Martian alive, you'd figure he'd be something like Superman to the rest of at least a few neighboring sectors to 2814.

~KL~
Old 06-14-2015, 07:08 PM   #10
Space Cop
The Dandy

I haven't liked J'onn since the New 52.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:52 PM   #11
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Joining Hal for an adventure or three off world may start to evolve J'onn into a character we're more familiar with a tad similar to his pre New52 self. Does he even know what Oreos are now?

When I mentioned Maul earlier I'd forgotten about warrior Amazons like Zealot also being Kherubim. Could bring her into the mix instead of some other Gamora analog.

~KL~
Old 06-14-2015, 11:52 PM   #12
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

Honestly, the problem with bringing on someone like J'onn or other "lead" caliber character is that it would pull focus from Hal and would probably be a disservice to that character. Also, while Hal might have a crew, this still isn't a team book. This isn't "L.E.G.I.O.N." or "Guardians of the Galaxy" - it's still "Green Lantern." It would be great to have maybe one former Green Lantern there but too many name characters would spoil it.

Unless of course they're using this title as a means to spin-off a real team that forms from Hal's crew after Hal becomes a real GL again...

Either way, they'd need a compelling raison d'etre other than simply being on the run. Personally, I'd love it to be one big story where Evil Star were the Big Bad, but that's just me.

Last edited by Kane2814; 06-15-2015 at 12:43 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:10 PM   #13
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane2814 View Post
Honestly, the problem with bringing on someone like J'onn or other "lead" caliber character is that it would pull focus from Hal and would probably be a disservice to that character. Also, while Hal might have a crew, this still isn't a team book. This isn't "L.E.G.I.O.N." or "Guardians of the Galaxy" - it's still "Green Lantern." It would be great to have maybe one former Green Lantern there but too many name characters would spoil it.
J'onn is barely lead caliber, same goes for Aquaman who wasn't enough of a draw to keep the Others monthly continuing. Many may see making J'onn a backup character again to be a disservice but what's the difference between that and a giant space Hulk who's an idiot in a purple cape turning into the space equivalent of Conan [talking about Drax if it isn't clear LOL]? And I get where you're coming from about this not being a team book, but Hal's always had the GLC backdrop and history to pull from and often has to to maintain sales. His monthly title is as much a team-up book as anything else on the shelves. I agree too many name characters would ruin it. But one, maybe two... not so much.

Quote:
Unless of course they're using this title as a means to spin-off a real team that forms from Hal's crew after Hal becomes a real GL again...
I hope he imitates Starlord for awhile myself. This is the most interested I've ever been for new Hal stuff. I've no idea what they'd call the team though, New Guardians would be pushing it a bit. If it spins off into it's own title and Hal isn't the lead, watch it fall on Kyle. Unless he's reborn with internalized power and written into limbo as a member of the Omega Men....

Quote:
Either way, they'd need a compelling raison d'etre other than simply being on the run. Personally, I'd love it to be one big story where Evil Star were the Big Bad, but that's just me.
I could see Evil Star as a main antagonist in a larger space opera kinda sense. I've always favored the Black Circle Syndicate introduced during Kyle's era, though most of them were written off as being killed by their leader Amon Sur himself after becoming a Sinestro Corpsman later on. But still, an illegal alien black market run by a gang spanning across several sectors was brilliant. Loved some of the designs for the tattoos as well and for awhile I thought about getting one.

~KL~
Old 06-15-2015, 08:52 PM   #14
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Here's something I whipped up after finishing the coat:

The Renegades: Hal w/Itty, Darlene, and J'onn. Not gonna lie I had to Google Itty, I like how TAS comic gave him more of an alien look. I just gave the little flower thing a face...

Hal: "Darlene, your hologram have any other colors?"

Darlene: "I am only able to project in blue and yellow..."

Hal: "Blue's fine."

~KL~
Old 06-23-2015, 04:37 PM   #15
sundrop
Fatality's Blacksmith

Can't be GL because he's outcast from the Corps... so no Kilowog... how about Kilowog's counterpart, Arkillo?

I'd rather see some more exotic characters, like Slushh, Maash, Low, or something absurd like Flayt or Sn'Hoj.

Bringing on a Yellow Lantern would give Hal+Sinestro something juicy to fight about.
sundrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:58 PM   #16
Tarmode
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Hal really doesn't need a crew.Just keep the punani flowing, and the man's okay.BTW, Fatality has been broken from the Sapphires' hold for awhile now.
Tarmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:16 AM   #17
CeltiC5-27
Weaponer of Qward

After reading GL #41, I think we already know who Hal's new crew is. Darlene, his ship, and then the other two characters introduced. Can't think of their names but here's a look at them from the issue.

Credit to Myron from The Blog of Oa for the panel screenshot.
CeltiC5-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:11 PM   #18
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

When I saw Trap on one of the upcoming covers I was a bit bummed.

~KL~
Old 08-12-2015, 02:49 AM   #19
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

I was hoping that Hal's crew would be more interesting. They should at least have a more interesting profile. When they had the "GLC" title you had different types - like Kilowog, Ch'p and Salaak in addition to regular humanoid types. These guys are a little bland, imo.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #20
Locomoco808
Kilowog's Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by -M- View Post

2.) Bro'Dee Walker - formerly a Blue Lantern and one of the most spiritual people in the galaxy. I could see him filling the position of healer or spiritual guide.

4.) Fatality - This would be a bit of a stretch, but let's say for the sake of argument she breaks free of the hold the Sapphires have on her and goes back to her old ways. Until finding out there are no longer Lanterns to hunt. She'd join Hal's crusade just so she could save the GLC to have something to hate on later. One of those "nobody kills John Stewart but ME!" rants...

~KL~

What, whaaa? So Saint Walker is no longer a blue lantern? This happen in the Lobo comics or something?

On Fatality- that would be a good match-up. Brings her into the GL orbit once again, and from there she can gradually make things up with John Stewart. I mean, she's no longer the GL killer she once was after the Sapphire indoctrination, neither is she a Sapphire corps member either, so she's in-between. It wouldn't be hard to portray her as an anti-heroine sort of figure. Just sayin'.
Locomoco808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:55 AM   #21
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Speaking of Loboring... since his title's getting the ax soon maybe they can bring back the real bastich and make him a member of Hal's crew? Give him a haircut like DCYou Superman and let him run around shirtless, he could be Hal's GotG analog for Drax.

~M~
Old 10-11-2015, 11:33 PM   #22
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

That's an interesting idea. A slightly humbled Lobo (or whatever his name would be) might actually be a more interesting character than the one who was 100% bastich 24/7. (who seemed to me as paper-thin a character as Harley Quinn is now.)