The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 03-11-2015, 03:49 PM   #1
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Default What attracted you to Green Lantern in the first place?

Please share your thoughts.

If it was the fact that Geoff Johns was writing it, then it's OK for you to say that. Nobody will think any less of you for it.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:18 PM   #2
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Mostly it was the idea of a hero who could do literally anything using their imagination and will. I just found that far more interesting than many of the other heroes with a more limited powerset. I also like the mythos of ancient, wise beings establishing a Corps of worthy folks to protect the universe. It seemed more exciting than just getting some powers by accident, or even developing your own powers independently through training or building tech for yourself. It just seemed to be more epic in scope (and I've always been a big SF fan).
Old 03-11-2015, 04:27 PM   #3
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

I got burned by Marvel too many times. So I opted out of thier universe. Me and my Gradeschool chums use to debate who was the strongest superhero. I had no comic to call my own any more. There was a flea market that sold cheap back issues,so I experimented. I found my answer with Green Lantern keeper of the most powerful weapon in the universe.

I was reading ED2#2 and I liked how Sinestro handeled the meeting scene. I bought 3 GL issues that day,then I had to have more. the the more I read the more I wanted to read. Eventually I was in a comic store buying a hand full of back issues when the guy told me what a pull box was. A small fortune later and here we are.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:32 PM   #4
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

When I was a kid I saw GL on Superfriends and loved GL's costume and powers. And the guy that did Hal's voice had this awesome, super deep voice.

I loved the green and black color scheme of his costume and found it very striking, much moreso than the other DC and Marvel heroes I was discovering. Then when I saw what GL did with his ring? Making all of these cool things? He could make anything he thought of and I could think of a LOT of things. The imagination was a huge part of it.

Eventually I checked out the actual comics and fell in love with the Hal Jordan character. I loved his origin with the crashed alien passing on the job to him. I loved his job and supporting cast. He didn't act like the other heroes, and he handled things differently. Even when he was making a mistake I was rooting for him. He was a generic good guy in a time when EVERY DC hero was a generic good guy, but he felt different to me, even if he wasn't.

I didn't WANT to have Supes, Bats, or spidey be my favorite hero. That's what all the OTHER kids did. They were everybody's favorites. But GL was all mine. It was this quiet corner of the DC universe that belonged just to me. And completing my collection wasn't a hopeless cause like it would be if I had Batman as a favorite character. I was going to have it ALL.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:33 PM   #5
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post

I was reading ED2#2 and I liked how Sinestro handeled the meeting scene. I bought 3 GL issues that day,then I had to have more. the the more I read the more I wanted to read. Eventually I was in a comic store buying a hand full of back issues when the guy told me what a pull box was. A small fortune later and here we are.
Weren't those the days? When we were young, and the longboxes of a comic store still HAD issues we needed in them? That was the quest, checking off the list and filling in the gaps. Good times!
Old 03-11-2015, 04:36 PM   #6
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

It was three things for me. The character of Guy, the concept of the Guardians and their GLC, and the fact that the property had several protagonists who were viable with the fans. Those things were utterly unique in comics.

But DC places no value on any of them now. Today it's all about Harold, who to them is obviously so excellent that he should he should be the boss of the GLC.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:52 PM   #7
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

it was covers like this:

...and the idea that GL would take on whole alien armadas, plus stopping natural & artificial disasters, while saving lives all over the universe; as a concept that just called out to me as a kid, and is partly why I enjoy space adventures novels now.

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:07 PM   #8
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy Smasher View Post
It was three things for me. The character of Guy, the concept of the Guardians and their GLC, and the fact that the property had several protagonists who were viable with the fans. Those things were utterly unique in comics.

But DC places no value on any of them now. Today it's all about Harold, who to them is obviously so excellent that he should he should be the boss of the GLC.
With all due respect the others are supporting cast in his original story.That is one thing that fans of the other GLs seem not to get. The best way to get behind the other GLs is to get behind Hal. Because he the the trunk that the rest of the brances flow from. When they tell Hal's story they will make it to Guy,they will make it to John and in my Case they will make it to Sinestro,and thier respected stories.

They are big parts of the mythos of Green Lantern,wich is really the story of Hal Jordan. without Abin Sur chosing that test pilot on that fateful day there is no Green Lantern Corps.

Every body loves Han Solo,but with out whiney Luke Skywalker there is no story or universe for them to exisist in. Back the franchise and the side characters WILL get thier due.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:10 PM   #9
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
With all due respect the others are supporting cast in his original story.That is one thing that fans of the other GLs seem not to get. The best way to get behind the other GLs is to get behind Hal. Because he the the trunk that the rest of the brances flow from. When they tell Hal's story they will make it to Guy,they will make it to John and in my Case they will make it to Sinestro,and thier respected stories.

They are big parts of the mythos of Green Lantern,wich is really the story of Hal Jordan. without Abin Sur chosing that test pilot on that fateful day there is no Green Lantern Corps.

Every body loves Han Solo,but with out whiney Luke Skywalker there is no story or universe for them to exisist in. Back the franchise and the side characters WILL get thier due.
Um, I think DC is absolutely behind Harold, and has been since Geoff took over GL. Totally. No need to worry about that!
Old 03-11-2015, 05:15 PM   #10
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Um, I think DC is absolutely behind Harold, and has been since Geoff took over GL. Totally. No need to worry about that!
46 out of 56 years is pretty good.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:18 PM   #11
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

I was first introduced to GL in the JL cartoon, he was my favourite character at the time. Probably because back then green was my favourite colour. (Purple is now, purple for the win!!!!)

I also liked John's character, he was more "interesting" than he is in the comics I've read (which is why he went basically from my favourite to least favourite GL), plus his costume was really good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:25 PM   #12
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Not really. DC could give 2 shits about any Green Lantern. If you are not Superman and Batman you can go fuck yourself is the offical DC stance.The only exception being the aatempts to make the super lame Dethstroke cool,and the new fad of pimping Harley Quinn.

If DC cared about Green Lantern they would have not let the Cartoon get Canceled,they would have booted Venditti.and they sure as hell would not be punking him out on the direct to video titles.

After the movie flopped GL has been on the shitlist.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:44 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

I saw a glowing cover for Vol. 3 #50 on the shelf, with #51 and #49 next to it. I bought them all and was hooked.

At the time I was only reading Batman comics. And Mirage TMNT.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:02 PM   #14
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Say what you will about Emerald Twilight. but that cover was AWESOME!
Old 03-11-2015, 09:33 PM   #15
Space Cop
The Dandy

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if Spy started this partly from yesterday's conversation and my saying constructs are the main reason I got into and stayed into GL. But to recap ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Davos View Post
When I was a kid I saw GL on Superfriends and loved GL's costume and powers. And the guy that did Hal's voice had this awesome, super deep voice.

I loved the green and black color scheme of his costume and found it very striking, much moreso than the other DC and Marvel heroes I was discovering. Then when I saw what GL did with his ring? Making all of these cool things? He could make anything he thought of and I could think of a LOT of things. The imagination was a huge part of it.

Eventually I checked out the actual comics and fell in love with the Hal Jordan character. I loved his origin with the crashed alien passing on the job to him. I loved his job and supporting cast. He didn't act like the other heroes, and he handled things differently. Even when he was making a mistake I was rooting for him. He was a generic good guy in a time when EVERY DC hero was a generic good guy, but he felt different to me, even if he wasn't.

I didn't WANT to have Supes, Bats, or spidey be my favorite hero. That's what all the OTHER kids did. They were everybody's favorites. But GL was all mine. It was this quiet corner of the DC universe that belonged just to me. And completing my collection wasn't a hopeless cause like it would be if I had Batman as a favorite character. I was going to have it ALL.
This is my story almost to a word. The only part I can't echo is to say that Hal's costume was a factor (although I will say that being a diehard GL fan is why green is now my favorite color; I believe when I was real little it was blue). But, yep, I used to watch Challenge of the Superfriends and reruns of the original Superfriends when I was pretty young (early to mid 80s). Every now and then a much, much cooler character called Green Lantern would appear and I would think "why isn't there more of this guy, he has the coolest power of all."

Then, in the late 80s and early 90s (I was born in October of 79) I started getting comics from 7-11. I was hooked and so I stated going to comic book stores and picking up back issues of vol. 2 of GL. I started collecting vol. 3 from #1 and never looked back (except for a brief period in college when I didn't have the money or patience to follow Kyle's adventures).

But basically the things that appealed to me were that he could make whatever he wanted and that his power was based in sheer willpower---as a handicapped kid, the idea that you can win if you just try hard enough is very appealing.

By the early 90s, there was definitely the added insider appeal that Dave speaks of because even my comic-loving friends had only a vague notion of who GL was but I was committed to telling them how he could beat Silver Surfer, Superman, or whoever (back when he actually could).
Old 03-11-2015, 09:36 PM   #16
Noct
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Teen Titan Kyle Rayner and classic Harold Parallax. That is all.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:07 PM   #17
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

The 70's "Challenge of the Superfriends" cartoon is what opened my eyes to the Emerald Gladiator. Like Dave mentioned, I thought he had a cool costume and color scheme, a great ability limited only by his imagination (although his weakness was lame and inconsistent) and a voice actor had a cool, leadership-type voice. Shortly after, I went to the LCS, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Initially, I didn't care for the GL Corps (or the Guardians) as I thought ONE GL was unique and distinct, but many GL's detracted from the group as a whole; If you have a group of Supermen from Krypton, Kal-El wouldn't be as special. As I grew older, I learned to like all of the Corps... or well, most of them.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:10 PM   #18
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct View Post
see now, for me that was a low point; U mean to tell me the guy who is supposed to patrol the universe......has been put on the C-team? INSULTING!!!

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Last edited by Tazer; 03-12-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Tazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:28 PM   #19
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct View Post
He was never a Teen Titan. But that didn't last but a few issues and then he was a full-on member of Morrison's JLA.

Though about "classic Harold Parallax," I agree. Especially after Zero Hour. When he popped up at the end of the issue right before the pretty cool "Parallax View" two-parter, that was truly an "Oh shit!!!" moment. If he's showing up, you just know some shit is about to go down... I was riveted.

Seeing him in that, and #0, and "The Final Night," that really compelled me to go back and read all the old Hal Jordan comics, to see him in his prime and maybe look for clues to how he got to that point. Hal Jordan as Parallax, to me, was an even more fascinating character than Kyle.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:31 PM   #20
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
He was never a Teen Titan. But that didn't last but a few issues and then he was a full-on member of Morrison's JLA.
Which was WAAAY more awesome. I think that was Tazer's point.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:53 AM   #21
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

I got into Green Lantern after seeing him on the superfriends and loving the concept of his powers. I started reading the comics and Kyle was the lantern. In the comic book I was really drawn to the sci-fi element, and the concept and the mythology. It was awesome.

Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 03-12-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:16 PM   #22
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
I got into Green Lantern after seeing him on the superfriends and loving the concept of his powers. I started reading the comics and Kyle was the lantern. In the comic book I was really drawn to the sci-fi element, and the concept and the mythology. It was awesome.
All of them on that show were so cheezy. But out of all of them Hal seemed the coolest. His Calafornia tan,Gameshow host voice,and every once in a while he would be in the coolest of posess. Like chillin in the back with his arms folded like a boss. He was as cool as you could be in that show.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:56 PM   #23
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
I got into Green Lantern after seeing him on the superfriends and loving the concept of his powers . . .
Well, it sounds like the GLC franchise owes a lot to the Superfriends.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #24
buffalorock
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

I've always liked sci-fi stuff so when I was getting back into comics the GL series was the natural place to land (sorry, no Marvel). For some reason I always like the concept of Space Police (going all the way back to the Lego series!) as well.
buffalorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:12 PM   #25
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
His Calafornia tan,Gameshow host voice,and every once in a while he would be in the coolest of posess. Like chillin in the back with his arms folded like a boss.

His powers on the show were almost limitless. He could time travel, turn himself large like Apache Chief and move planets with little effort, like when he moved the Earth out of the way of Sinestro's yellow comets, but forgot to put it back. LOL