The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Action Figures & Toys
FLASHCHAT

Action Figures and Toys

Old 05-21-2011, 02:29 AM   #76
Hack
Kyle's Nude Model

The reasoning is twofold, I'd suspect. For one, Mattel repacked those two figures with the new ones from Series 3, so technically you're still buying a set of "wave 3". Secondly, as Mister Ed alluded, they don't want to get clogged with millions of main characters, so they make you buy a few figures you don't need in order to get the ones you do.

Unfortunately, this is commonplace amongst online dealers. Can't really blame them, if they don't unload the "pegwarmers", they'll never be able to order more stuff. If these toy companies would just pack "new" cases with all new characters and stop throwing in fillers from previous waves, this wouldn't be an issue. Thankfully cases of GL come in 8 instead of the normal 12 or it would be even worse. There are some Star Wars collectors that buy full cases of figures in order to get 4 new ones only to get stuck with 8 repacks they already have.

I have to say the diversity of characters in the GL universe has made collecting these not nearly as painful as some of the other comic lines. Iron Man and Captain America are just repaint after repaint of the same old figures over and over. Other than a Redskull here and Whiplash there, it's all main characters. Sure, 6/16 GLs are Hals, but that's pretty damn good considering.

I'm really liking this line as well. I currently have 11 and plan to get the other 5 tomorrow before K-Marts sale is over. When I first saw them in TRU back in the beginning of May I wasn't impressed. Now that I see Martin, Guardians, and lots more Corp members to fill in the ranks, I can't help myself. I really hope we get more than just the 20 we already know about.

Last edited by Hack; 05-21-2011 at 02:35 AM.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:37 AM   #77
GreenLanternFan5289
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

I can't wait to see Salaak. So far only two of mine are Hals but I'm really liking the Hal with the hammer and angry face.
With liberty and justice for all! - Duck Dodgers
GreenLanternFan5289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #78
Muthasucka
Parallax Host

Y'know, I think Salaak is the only one we haven't seen yet. There's at least blurry pics of G'Hu and Voz, but Salaak wasn't at Toy Fair. I hope they actually make him...
Muthasucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #79
Hack
Kyle's Nude Model

I was thinking, if this line actually survives through the year, there's a small possibility of getting a Carol figure out of it. Doubtful, but you never know.

I said I didn't need it, but damn Mattel for not giving these more articulation. If this line was more revered by the majority of fans, they'd be flying off the pegs. We'd get like every lantern eventually!
Old 05-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #80
Muthasucka
Parallax Host

Yeah, I kinda agree. Aside from a few duds (Hannu, Stel) the designs and sculpts are great. They skimped on articulation to keep the price point down, but places like TRU and LCSs are still selling them for $11-$14. It's not like they'd charge $20 if they were as articulated as the Hasbro stuff (or even the DCIH line). Maybe they have a really accurate cost-benefit analysis but it seems like they could be making up the difference in cost by selling more figures to collectors who, you're right, would be snapping these up by the case if they had better poseability. I guess we'll see how the line sells...
Muthasucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #81
Hack
Kyle's Nude Model

Exactly. The sculpts are great. Personally, I'd rather have better looking figures with stiff limbs, than ugly ones that can be posed in more variety, but as you mentoned, Hasbro are able to offer both and keep the same price point. Mattel didn't have to go all out, either. Just knees and elbows would have been fine. Hell, swivel wrists so you can point the ring in the right direction would have been something.

Had the ring lit up, I could see them cutting corners in order to offer a seriously cool pack-in and keep the price point. At least with the lackluster sculpts on the Tron Legacy line, you know the money went into the light-up feature, but with these, a construct and cheap ring don't really justify the final cost.

The saving grace of this line is diversity, in my opinion. If they make a vast amount of Lanterns that they could never match in the MM line, collectors will jump on board just to have representations of them all. If kids like the movie, then there's a great chance it will thrive! How many times do you hear mothers say in the toy aisle "I'm not buying you ANOTHER Spider-man!"? That's not gonna happen here.

Last edited by Hack; 05-21-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #82
GreenLanternFan5289

That's probably what I'm enjoying most about the smaller line is the diversity of the Lanterns right out of the gate. With the MM we only have what 3 or 4 out right now but with the smaller line there's at least 15 or more available right now. But on a serious note what's with the no Hector Hammond figure in the 4 inch line?
Old 05-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #83
GreenLanternFan5289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muthasucka View Post
Y'know, I think Salaak is the only one we haven't seen yet. There's at least blurry pics of G'Hu and Voz, but Salaak wasn't at Toy Fair. I hope they actually make him...
According to this they are but hopefully he's going to be released as a single figure as well. I'm hoping they make a Stel that is like his final movie design instead of the early concept figure they put out now.
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/p...10&mode=retail
Old 05-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #84
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

i got the parallax/hal 2 pack.... the parallax figure makes a nice mantel piece but i admit the articulation in this hal figure is not good at all.

i also managed to get solar saw hal, kilowog, abin sur.

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:00 AM   #85
GreenLantern888
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to GreenLantern888 Send a message via MSN to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Yahoo to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Skype™ to GreenLantern888

Yeah see I wish the articulation was better at least for knees and arms so you could put Test Pilot Hal Jordan in model or toy jet. Which would've been awesome. I too also hope they make a true movie version of Stel figure.

Villain Draft (Best Team Winner)/Proud Supporter of the DCnU
GreenLantern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:11 AM   #86
GreenLanternFan5289

I thought about getting a cheap F-22 or F-16 for my Pilot Hal as well.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #87
Monte4
Kyle's Nude Model

I picked up the Green Lantern Hal Jordan with giant fist, Sinestro and Kilowog figures. Very nice and they're the same size as Star Wars figures which is awesome. Still looking for Tomar-Re and kinda disappointed there isn't a Hector Hammond figure. Is it confirmed no Hammond figure???
Monte4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #88
TheWritingRambler
Kyle's Nude Model

Has anyone been collecting the Target exclusive light up figures? Ive actually been able to find multiples of hal, abin sur and sinestro but no luck with kilowog or voz (though there are pics of them on the back of the box so i know they exist). Ive had the same issue with the guardian packs at walmart. i got the first 3 but i assume 4,5 and 6 will be released later
TheWritingRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #89
GreenLanternFan5289

I haven't seen any of the light up figures or the guardian packs and I was in both Target and Wal-Mart yesterday.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:22 AM   #90
TheWritingRambler
Kyle's Nude Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLanternFan5289 View Post
I haven't seen any of the light up figures or the guardian packs and I was in both Target and Wal-Mart yesterday.
i've found hitting up local stores on tuesdays (earlier the better if possible) is the best time to find restocked shelves. my local target here in NJ had at least 10-15 of the light up figures (abin/hal/sinestro mix)
Old 05-25-2011, 07:38 AM   #91
Green Lantern Ninja
Kilowog's Recruit

K-Mart's website said that my local one had Krona in stock, so I ordered it for pick-up in-store. I get there and it's effing standard Hal Jordan. Their excuse? All of the SKUs are tied to one master SKU so when you purchase one online you get one at random. I don't know if that's bullshit or not but it sounds like a terrible business practice.

On the plus side, although they also didn't have the Martin Jordan 2-pack, I got the Captain American International Patriots box set.
Green Lantern Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #92
TheWritingRambler
Kyle's Nude Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern Ninja View Post
K-Mart's website said that my local one had Krona in stock, so I ordered it for pick-up in-store. I get there and it's effing standard Hal Jordan. Their excuse? All of the SKUs are tied to one master SKU so when you purchase one online you get one at random. I don't know if that's bullshit or not but it sounds like a terrible business practice.

On the plus side, although they also didn't have the Martin Jordan 2-pack, I got the Captain American International Patriots box set.
That sucks. Good find on the hal/martin 2 pack, theyre definitely the hardest to find so far. Ive been going through them same issue with them (k-mart). I ordered a bunch from the kmart stuff online only to have to be returning it all now for a refund.

also just got my green man movie masters from mattycollector in the mail and its awesome. highly recommended even for the $25 pricepoint
Old 05-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #93
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWritingRambler View Post
That sucks. Good find on the hal/martin 2 pack, theyre definitely the hardest to find so far. Ive been going through them same issue with them (k-mart). I ordered a bunch from the kmart stuff online only to have to be returning it all now for a refund.

also just got my green man movie masters from mattycollector in the mail and its awesome. highly recommended even for the $25 pricepoint
i was able to buy rot lop fan at c2e2 a few months back but i didnt wanna spend 45 bucks for it.

glad i didnt because hopefully my cousin ( walmart manager) can find me one

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #94
TheWritingRambler
Kyle's Nude Model

yeah rot lop fan is available in most of the stores I've seen for the most part with some hunting ive been able to find everything (though my bank account is not happy lol) I included a pic just to share my accomplishment of this madness lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GL movie collection MAY 25th.jpg (96.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 05-25-2011, 05:59 PM   #95
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
yeah rot lop fan is available in most of the stores I've seen for the most part with some hunting ive been able to find everything (though my bank account is not happy lol) I included a pic just to share my accomplishment of this madness lol
whats that 4 pack called? nice stuff

Old 05-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #96
TheWritingRambler
Kyle's Nude Model

theres 2 of them. one is the OA defenders (green man, sinestro, hal and hannu) and the other is the Power of Will (abin sur, isamot kol, max charge hal and kilowog) theyre basically just 4 regular figures (no new paints or anything) collected together with different constructs than theyre normally packaged with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oa defenders 4 pack.jpg (54.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg power of will 4 pack.jpg (60.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #97
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
theres 2 of them. one is the OA defenders (green man, sinestro, hal and hannu) and the other is the Power of Will (abin sur, isamot kol, max charge hal and kilowog) theyre basically just 4 regular figures (no new paints or anything) collected together with different constructs than theyre normally packaged with.
and you found these at walmart?

Old 05-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #98
TheWritingRambler
Kyle's Nude Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
and you found these at walmart?
i actually got these on amazon. heres the links

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Lantern-...6347244&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Lantern-...6347264&sr=8-5
Old 05-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #99
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
guh the power of will pack has some rehashed figures. i have kilowog and abin.

ill just get the defenders of oa and thank you

Last edited by TazzMission; 05-25-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #100
TheWritingRambler
Kyle's Nude Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
guh the power of will pack has some rehashed figures. i have kilowog and abin.

ill just get the defenders of oa and thank you
No prob, happy to help. Always good to share info with fellow collectors.