Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Lantern: Earth One

How would you do it?

Who'd be your creative team, how would you update Alan for the 21st century? What would be his job, his origin, how would his costume look?

I've got a few ideas myself, but I'm curious what the rest of you think.

i would make allan being in a state of depression, loosing his job, divorced wife, and hes about to kill himself in newyolk untill the ring finds him and asks him to join the corps and he excepts. he gets happier as a lantern, but his friend (bruce wayne) makes him a more advanced costume like more futuristic. he beats up fugs and stuff buy then major threats come.

Comment

I'd love to see Gaiman write Alan Scott.

Costume:
      - Similar to what it is now minus the cape (maybe sub it with a blazer) and update the boots.
      - Elegantly disheveled hair with a mask that ties up at the back of the head.
      - Move his emblem onto his heart.
      - Red shirt, black pants, green blazer. Green trim on boots.
      - keep the ring and lantern the same

Updated story:
      I'd like to see a sorta Phonogram like story. Where music and art is mixed with magic and mysticism.
      Alan Scott would be a lighting designer/coordinator for an old Opera house that has become a music venue. One day while searching for equipment in the attic he has an accident of sorts and stumbles upon the old lantern and ring. Thinking it to be no more than an cool looking antique prop of sorts he decides to keep/wear it. Later while hanging lights for an upcoming performance an altercation occurs between the band and the venue's manager. This some how eventually leads to Alan discovering his rings powers and preventing a crime.... and BAM! Our hero is born.
      "Don't disturb my circles."

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post

I've got a few ideas myself, but I'm curious what the rest of you think.
        I'm interested in hearing what you think.

I'm not sure what I'd do yet, have to give it some thought. I wouldn't have him in the Corps tho, nor any ties to current GL stuff. He'd be the only GL there is.

As for costume, maybe something like this but replacing the Red with Black (always liked this suit, even if it was sort of Christmasy)

Maverick_GL
        Last edited by Maverick_GL; 12-13-2009, 06:37 PM.
        sigpic
        Winner: Reality TV draft 2014

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman

Comment

If their going to do a Earth One GL, I would love to see them not just retell Hal's origin then add something in it that made it different. I say really go all out and update the origin. Hal's origin is very 1960's in structure perhaps it's time to update and alter it in a way that doesn't quiet have that all to familiar cold war space race feel of it. And make it more like A alien abduction thing at least to start where either the guardians or GL's kidnap hal and examine him seeing if his biology could handle the ring or something.

Darth_Andrea

Comment

I think we're talking Alan Scott here, Earth-One is the new series retelling Batman and Superman.
            sigpic

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick_GL View Post

I'm not sure what I'd do yet, have to give it some thought. I wouldn't have him in the Corps tho, nor any ties to current GL stuff. He'd be the only GL there is.

As for costume, maybe something like this but replacing the Red with Black (always liked this suit, even if it was sort of Christmasy)

I agree with what you're saying about that costume. Changing the red from that picture to black would be a good idea. I also agree with having him be the only GL in the story.

I would have Morrison. It should have a story with a classic feel like All-Star Superman did. I don't know about the art. Even though I like the Frank Quitely/Morrison combo, I don't think I'd put him on it. I think J.H. Williams III should handle it.

Comment

First of it would be Alan Scott, I would have Mark Waid be the writer, and Mike Mckone be the artist

Comment

Actually....if I can be totally serious. I would get Stan Lee to reinvent Alan Scott. Stan is one of the last of the Golden Age Comic writers who is still semi working. And I think it would fitting to let him have a wack at it.

Darth_Andrea

Comment

Why not? He's had tons of good ideas over the years. If nothing else, it would be an interesting take on the character.
                    sigpic

Comment

Wasn't there already a "What if Stan Lee created Green Lantern" story written by Stan Lee... and didn't it suck?

Comment

No idea how good or bad it was, but that's right.

It's funny to think at one time Stan Lee was part of DC comics. Whatever happened there? He write some little "What Ifs" and that's about it?
                        sigpic

Comment

Pretty much. Just to create little oddities like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick_GL View Post
                            I'd keep the name Alan Scott and the looks of him. But I'd change pretty much everything else. I'd move him to the West Coast, where he'd create CGI stuff for Hollywood and have a web page pet project where he'd give advice to people who need help. A contemporary alternative to working for the radio, I hope.
                            He'd get the ring and lantern when he survives a plane crash. He finds it in the luggage compartment. What he doesn't know is that it's part of an experiment by a secret government research group. The plane was targeted by a terrorist cell to stop the experiment. Alan keeps the ring and starts helping people, attracting the attention of both the governent guys and the terrorists. He starts wearing a costume and a mask, inspired by the guys in Metropolis and Gotham. And he gets addicted. It's dangerous to keep doing heroics (especially being targetted by the government and the terrorists), but the adrenaline rush and the pride of saving lives keep him going.

I can imagine Dave Goyer (JSA, Blade movies, Flashforward tv show) writing the book, with Juan Ferreyra (Rex Mundi) on art.

The costume would be mostly black, with red and green elements. No cape.

Comment

I would love to read that, fantastic reinvention Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X