The J.R.R. Tolkien Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The J.R.R. Tolkien Thread

Since I'm totally getting into his stuff (which is more than merely LOTR, as some would think), I decided to just go ahead and create this here topic for proper and contained at-length discussion of his writings.

That out of the way, here are links to my thoughts on The Fellowship and The Two Towers, and I'll at some point in the future follow up with commentary on Return of the King.

But now that I've a little bit of birthday money, I think I might just hunt online and buy a copy of Bakshi's 1977 Hobbit, and Jackson's Extended 2012 version alongside it, if I can find the latter for a cheap price on Blu-ray.
    Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Yo.

Bakshi's Hobbit was fun, but the book.......that book is my FAVORITE STORY.

EVER.

plz tell me U've read it, or have plans to do so?

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
    Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...postcount=1104

Smaug 4 lyfe

Comment

Good idea for a thread.

The animated Hobbit actually wasn't done by Bakshi, but rather Rankin/Bass. That version of the Hobbit was my first exposure to Tolkien and it wasn't positive. The musical numbers and grotesque designs didn't do much for me. Years later, I had to do a book report or something from the library and I figured it'd be easier if I had some exposure to the book elsewhere. So I read the Hobbit and absolutely loved it. Such an easier read than LotR. I loved everything to do with the dwarves.
        MEH

Comment

Don't suppose anyone has any advice on which book to grab for a geographical look at Middle-earth?

I know there's Maps of Middle-earth and The Atlas of Middle-earth, but dunno about much else.

Comment

Yo.

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
            *brofist*

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
            Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Well, I welcome the thread.

At my old job I edited a couple books by Tolkien scholars so I've engaged in every level of Tolkien talk from "hey, did you like the last Hobbit movie" to the subtextual layers of The Silmarillion. A very rewarding author.

Originally posted by Gray Lantern View Post
              Good idea for a thread.

The animated Hobbit actually wasn't done by Bakshi, but rather Rankin/Bass. That version of the Hobbit was my first exposure to Tolkien and it wasn't positive. The musical numbers and grotesque designs didn't do much for me. Years later, I had to do a book report or something from the library and I figured it'd be easier if I had some exposure to the book elsewhere. So I read the Hobbit and absolutely loved it. Such an easier read than LotR. I loved everything to do with the dwarves.
              I love(d) the cartoon. "That's What Bilbo Baggins Hates" and "The Greatest Adventure" are awesome songs. But the RotK movie's "Where There's a Whip There's a Way" is embedded in my subconscious. It just randomly pops out of me.

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
              Don't suppose anyone has any advice on which book to grab for a geographical look at Middle-earth?

I know there's Maps of Middle-earth and The Atlas of Middle-earth, but dunno about much else.
              Sorry. I've always used the books and the stuff you can get free on the internet (which is a lot).

Comment

This is a map of Beleriand. It is where most of the stories in The Silmarillion take place. I had a poster of it make. The Silmarillion is one of my favorite books.

And this map shows where all of the land is. During LOTR Beleriand doesn't exsit. Sorry that the words can't be read.
                490j.jpg
                Time,Space and Will Power

Comment

Goddamn, thanks, man.

Comment

I'm a huge Tolkien fan. I am going to love this thread. I'll leave you with some pictures/painting of scenes from the Silmarillion.

This is my favorite picture ever.
                    Lantern of Gallifrey
                    Senior Corps Member
                    Last edited by Lantern of Gallifrey; 06-19-2015, 12:34 AM.

Comment

I have always wanted to read this

Comment

As one who went to college in the seventies with other scholars who took their notes in elf runes (no $#!t), I too welcome the thread. Ah, the memories. Long before movies were ever contemplated.

However, to ruin your Tolkien life forever, try to get a hold of the Harvard Lampoon's parody, "Bored of the Rings", then follow it with a piece of philosophical drivel called "Lord of the Elves and Eldils" by Dick Purtill (it compared Tolkien to C S Lewis, with varying shades of success).

Stay sane.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.

Comment

I've read Bored. Don't have it anymore, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lantern of Gallifrey View Post
                            I have always wanted to read this
                            Thanks for pointing that out. I'd never heard of that, and it sounds interesting. My library has exactly one copy. It's at another branch but it isn't checked out, and mine was the first hold, so it will be in my hands within the week, I expect.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X