The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics
View Poll Results: Rate DCU: Rebirth #1
* 1 9.09%
** 0 0%
*** 2 18.18%
**** 5 45.45%
***** 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2016, 03:49 PM   #51
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -M- View Post
I would imagine this Wally was a bit out of it. If he was thinking back to his days as the Flash maybe Batman was number one on his speed dial before his uncle came back from the dead. I wanna know what happened to Wally after Barry came back and he went missing. Was he ever shown actually being lost in the Speed Force pre New52?
that likely wouldve happened in Flash, and I don't believe they ever bothered to do so..... :/

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:25 AM   #52
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

So overall I really enjoyed this issue, Johns writing Wally again felt right and just seeing classic Wally was such a great feeling even if he was de-aged. Something that this issue drove home for me is how much I missed the legacy aspect of the DCU and how happy I am that's it back. So yea fuck it, I loved this issue.

That being said this issue also raised a lot of concerns for the DCU moving forward, mostly because of simplifying their continuity they seem to be complicating it even more.

First on the Watchmen stuff, personally if DC were going to go this route I would've preferred that they explained that Dr. Manhattan had fucked with the universe and didn't go too deep into because after all we can't really understand a higher beings motivations can we?

Instead with the Comedian's badge coming out of the Speed Force and burying itself in the batcave it certainly looks they're going to tightly couple the two. Bleeding Cool ran a couple of posts with a few guesses on how the Minutemen might show up in the DCU and I'm really hoping they don't go this route (though I think the Oz one is a lock):
  1. Mr Oz could be Ozymandias
  2. The Question could be Rorschach
  3. Comedian could tie into the Jokers
  4. Silk Spectre and Nite Owl could be the new duo in Gotham

Right now DC seems content with the Watchmen stuff playing out in the future and I hope that they stick to that plan because if they're gunna go down that road I want Johns to be free to tell the story. He's one of the few writers they have that MIGHT be able to pull this off in a satisfactory way so let's hope they don't change plans give it to someone like Lobdell.

The main non-Watchmen questions I have coming out of this issue are:
  1. N52 Superman. This issue reinforces the fact that the New 52 wasn't set on alternate Earth but is the same Earth albeit modified. The reason Pre-Flashpoint Superman still exists is due to Brainiac capturing him before Dr. Manhattan modified the Earth, so if that's true what or who exactly was N52 Superman? In the issue Wally mentions that he can't see N52 Superman's body so I'm assuming we'll get an answer eventually.
  2. Wally. Why the fuck was he de-aged?
  3. Dr. Fate. Which Fate was this? The old one reappeared recently in the comic, apparently he's the new one's great uncle.

So yea, loved the issue but concerned about continuity moving forward. 4/5.

Last edited by Hypo; 06-02-2016 at 12:28 AM.
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:14 PM   #53
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

DC Universe: Rebirth #1 3rd Printing Cover by Gary Frank

Old 06-04-2016, 01:33 AM   #54
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Goddamn that's a great cover. Make me wish I waited for the THIRD printing!
Old 06-04-2016, 01:48 AM   #55
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
The main non-Watchmen questions I have coming out of this issue are:
[LIST=1][*]N52 Superman. This issue reinforces the fact that the New 52 wasn't set on alternate Earth but is the same Earth albeit modified. The reason Pre-Flashpoint Superman still exists is due to Brainiac capturing him before Dr. Manhattan modified the Earth, so if that's true what or who exactly was N52 Superman? In the issue Wally mentions that he can't see N52 Superman's body so I'm assuming we'll get an answer eventually.
This has the potential to be something awesome, but knowing the writers it'll probably turn into an even bigger convoluted mess. I'd personally just say it was a 'perfect clone' of Supes, but then again what about New52 Lois?

And if the classic version of Wally didn't make it to the New52, does that mean his character was literally missing on New52 Earth and nobody looked for him? Or he was just completely forgotten because of Flashpoint?

Still, looking forward to a few of these titles coming out, just dunno if I can afford many twice monthly. Right now my list is looking like Superman, Batman, Aquaman, GLC, and Titans. But again, that twice monthly thing might make it hard to stay caught up...

~M~
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:54 AM   #56
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
... ight now my list is looking like Superman, Batman, Aquaman, GLC, and Titans. But again, that twice monthly thing might make it hard to stay caught up...
I know. I don't really want to think about this. I'll have to get what I want for a month or two and figure out if I'm spending too much on comics.
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
—Isaiah 9:6
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:11 AM   #57
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

It kills me because I like a lot of the stuff I'm reading about, but a lot of the artists on books have yet to really impress me. I don't wanna be a dick though and just collect every other arc of the artists I do enjoy LOL.

Right now I mainly wanna see what happens with classic Wally, be it in the Flash or Titans. GLC is another given since that's the only place I'll see Kyle featured. Aquaman depends on how good the artist is, Batman is looking pretty solid on art, and Superman I wanna see how things play out with this big shake up.

Whenever the JSA and Legion return, I'll be on board for that no matter what the comic or crossover.

~M~
Old 06-07-2016, 09:19 PM   #58
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Whenever the JSA and Legion return, I'll be on board for that no matter what the comic or crossover.

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:23 PM   #59
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Quote:

~M~
I'm so with you, JSA is LONG awaited for me. I hate that I haven't heard too much definite.

I read Superman: Rebirth today and was happily shocked by the art. Doug Mahnke is knocking it out of the ballpark imo, the spread with Doomsday, yee HAW! Very happy with that. The story was good (I'll never like all these different Supermen, it happens way too often in DC imo), but it piqued my interest enough to renew my subscription.
KilowogsDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:34 AM   #60
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I just hope whatever Legion of Superheroes comes to fruition it isn't just picking up from another previous universe and altered. Stuff needs to change yet still remain true to the core concept, you can't just toss 8-15 characters at a fan and say "pick your favorites and follow their adventures." The creators need to focus on making the entire team something it hasn't been in awhile, otherwise it's as doomed as the last couple attempts at Legion books.

Mark Waid and Barry Kitson's original vision for that era of the LoSH for example, that was fresh and entertaining as hell!

~M~

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 06-08-2016 at 01:37 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:24 AM   #61
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Sigh, Waid needs to come back to DC imo.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:33 AM   #62
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilowogsDisciple View Post
Sigh, Waid needs to come back to DC imo.
QFT!
Old 06-08-2016, 01:02 PM   #63
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

More people were talking about Kingdom Come twenty years ago than the fans are now with the New52 and Rebirth LOL

He could write the Legion or JSA and I'd be completely content. Or Superman. I'd be good with him on Superman too...

~M~
Old 06-08-2016, 01:27 PM   #64
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Quote:
More people were talking about Kingdom Come twenty years ago than the fans are now with the New52 and Rebirth LOL

He could write the Legion or JSA and I'd be completely content. Or Superman. I'd be good with him on Superman too...

~M~
JSA or Superman, would LOVE that. You know, even though Bats isn't exactly my favorite character, if Waid wrote it I would definitely be interested. Though I have to admit, Detective Comics is already looking to be pretty freaking GREAT.

I haven't seen Waid do anything outstanding in Marvel since his Daredevil run. The All New All Different Avengers is good...I'm just convinced on that one though. It started out great. Just my opinion.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:05 PM   #65
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Can someone explain to me what exactly happened with "Rebirth"? Did it even end as a story, or was it just this special and then a lot of soft rebranding?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:40 PM   #66
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

It was a reboot's reboot. Rebirth started making the characters more like they were before the New52. The New52 Titans Hunt lead directly into the adult Titans comic post-Rebirth and the truth was out about someone taking ten years away from the universe and altering history. Everybody got new #1's, Action and Detective went back to classic numbering, and the 'end' of the Rebirth story will likely be the end of Doomsday Clock with presumably the return of the JSA and LoSH.

Then all will almost be right again.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:41 AM   #67
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Storywise, plots introduced in this issue are still up in the air, to be resolved in Doomsday Clock or Three Jokers or whatever ending-less hype-event Geoff Johns pitches tomorrow.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:43 AM   #68
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Oh, I guess the Wally plot got resolved in Heroes in Crisis. Harley Quinn snuck up on him from behind and beat him to death with her ridiculous oversized mallet. That's how the speed force works, right?
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:33 AM   #69
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
Oh, I guess the Wally plot got resolved in Heroes in Crisis. Harley Quinn snuck up on him from behind and beat him to death with her ridiculous oversized mallet. That's how the speed force works, right?
No.... but it IS how giant mallets work.