The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0
View Poll Results: If a GL *had* to die, who would you pick?
Hal Jordan 3,600 99.67%
John Stewart 6 0.17%
Guy Gardner 5 0.14%
Kyle Rayner 1 0.03%
Voters: 3612. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2015, 08:35 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default If a main GL *had* to die, who would you pick?

You choose.

And no, I'm not putting Baz on there because I'm pretty sure he'd "win."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:42 PM   #2
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Ugh. Baz is the only one I'm certain I want to die! His is the only death that I think would stick. Any of the other four would come back.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:48 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Fun fact: on that list, John Stewart is the only one who hasn't ever died already.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:59 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

I'm going with Hal, but I'll explain why.

None of the powers that be, Geoff himself included, have any interest in Hal Jordan as a character. They don't. He hasn't even had a story arc in about 8 years, let alone anything resembling a character arc. He had job and a girlfriend... the job is barely ever referenced and the girlfriend (Cowgirl) literally vanished, as if Superboy Prime punched out of his life. The constant "will they?" "won't they?" nonsense with Carol got old 40 years ago and is even lamer now. Though I do fault TPTB for not trying, I don't necessarily blame them, either. Hal just isn't that interesting of a character. He's a throwback to the cookie cutter "iconic" characters wrought out of 60s, and none of the "interesting" things they've done with him over the years (going rogue as Parallax, the lady's man thing, the job) have ever managed to stick. All they can do is take away his ring every couple of years.

So... yeah. I say kill him off (again) and give someone more interesting the flagship Green Lantern title, which then leaves one less person to fill up the Lost Army title (which will inevitably be some kind of ensemble clusterfuck). I don't even care who they replace Hal with in the main GL title... it can be John, Guy, or Kyle, it doesn't matter, any of them would be vastly more interesting than more of Hal.

Though that's never going to happen. With WB now actively exerting influence on the comics (and you can bet more than ever after the move) and Hal as the cinematic Green Lantern, you can expect things to stay frozen for the foreseeable future.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:05 PM   #5
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Fun fact: on that list, John Stewart is the only one who hasn't ever died already.
This is true! They should bring this up while drinking beer together sometime.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #6
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

I went with Guy, most due to the fact that as far as deaths go, Im pretty certain *his* would be the most spectacular (as well as taking the most opponents w/him.)

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:20 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

I went with Guy, most due to the fact that as far as deaths go, Im pretty certain *his* would be the most spectacular (as well as taking the most opponents w/him.)

Tazer
I dunno, the last time Guy died it was fairly weak...

Old 02-06-2015, 09:23 PM   #8
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I'm going with Hal, but I'll explain why.

None of the powers that be, Geoff himself included, have any interest in Hal Jordan as a character. They don't. He hasn't even had a story arc in about 8 years, let alone anything resembling a character arc. He had job and a girlfriend... the job is barely ever referenced and the girlfriend (Cowgirl) literally vanished, as if Superboy Prime punched out of his life. The constant "will they?" "won't they?" nonsense with Carol got old 40 years ago and is even lamer now. Though I do fault TPTB for not trying, I don't necessarily blame them, either. Hal just isn't that interesting of a character. He's a throwback to the cookie cutter "iconic" characters wrought out of 60s, and none of the "interesting" things they've done with him over the years (going rogue as Parallax, the lady's man thing, the job) have ever managed to stick. All they can do is take away his ring every couple of years.

So... yeah. I say kill him off (again) and give someone more interesting the flagship Green Lantern title, which then leaves one less person to fill up the Lost Army title (which will inevitably be some kind of ensemble clusterfuck). I don't even care who they replace Hal with in the main GL title... it can be John, Guy, or Kyle, it doesn't matter, any of them would be vastly more interesting than more of Hal.

Though that's never going to happen. With WB now actively exerting influence on the comics (and you can bet more than ever after the move) and Hal as the cinematic Green Lantern, you can expect things to stay frozen for the foreseeable future.

Won't happen, but you do make a point about Hal as a character meaning nothing. I think it's just that they're too scared now to write Earth-based, non-event GL stories. They can do that for Batman, but they're baffled when they try to do it for GL. Go figure.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:25 PM   #9
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:

He got a one-panel death. And you see it right there.

Killing characters and bringing them back is just a crutch for poor writing. Sorry but I'm going to point out the elephant in the living room there.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:26 PM   #10
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Although later on in that event, there was a scene in a hospital of sorts where somebody was calling for "Vuldarian plasma", which could ONLY have been for Guy, which makes it seem like he did NOT die at that moment.

Of course it also makes it seem like they evacuated him, but that was flatly contradicted later on, in a Superman title I think.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:43 PM   #11
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:

he was mostly marginalized at that point; his visability now is much better than then, so I trust TPTB/Geoff will make it something respective of him.

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:46 PM   #12
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

This is a tough choice.

I'm not going to say Hal or Kyle. They are both too important of characters, in my mind.

But between John and Guy? Well, I'm a bigger fan of John, but mostly because of my memories of what he USED to be. Lately not much of interest has been done with him, IMHO, and his character shows only hints of the John that I came to know in my younger days.

Guy has had a more consistent characterization, and a more interesting current story arc, IMHO. But he also seems more primed for an epic death scene than John does, what with his Red turn, and his current sense of borderline self-loathing, looking for redemption of sorts. It seems like Guy might be able to die and have it feel like a natural progression of his character arc, whereas with John, if he dies at this point, it will feel more like they just ditched him because they didn't have anything better to do with him.

Which might well be a good reason to ditch him, but would be kind of unsatisfying, and be a sad end to a character for which I have had such fondness in the past.

So I guess the question is, do I want them to keep John, in hopes that he might once again become the character that I really like? Or do I want them to ditch him because I know that will never happen? Hmmm...

Last edited by Mister Ed; 02-06-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:59 PM   #13
CeltiC5-27
Weaponer of Qward

I'd kill off Kyle or Baz, Hal & John should be the only Earth Green Lanterns and Guy should stay a Red Lantern.

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527
CeltiC5-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:59 PM   #14
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy Smasher View Post
He got a one-panel death. And you see it right there.

Killing characters and bringing them back is just a crutch for poor writing. Sorry but I'm going to point out the elephant in the living room there.
correction, it actually happened later on:

Quote:
Superman suddenly finds himself transported months into the past, again watching Imperiex's attack on the Earth. He sees Gardner impaled on a spear, and presumed dead. But his Vuldarian genes kept him alive, trying to regrow his body. As the probe traveled around the world, Guy was dragged with it, his body constantly adapting both to heal and to remain hidden. His body was destroyed and reformed time after time until he resembled "hamburger," and no one ever came looking for him. When General Zod destroyed a probe, Gardner's probe was sent in as a replacement. Zod then proceeded to destroy that probe as well, and Gardner was plunged into Hell.
/shrugs

Tazer

Quote:
Old 02-06-2015, 10:00 PM   #15
Space Cop
The Dandy

I vote Kyle. I've liked several Kyle stories, but I didn't need him to begin with and he's the least interesting to me now. Plus, he stole Hal's girl so he deserves to die.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:22 PM   #16
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I vote Kyle. I've liked several Kyle stories, but I didn't need him to begin with and he's the least interesting to me now. Plus, he stole Hal's girl so he deserves to die.
I don't want him to die, but if I HAD to pick one of them, he'd be the one.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:26 PM   #17
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:52 PM   #18
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I were going to write GL, and THREE had to die, I'd keep Guy.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:21 PM   #19
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

I would refuse. even if it was going to cost me the job. Killing off GL's is what gets us into trouble. It was shocking when they killed Hal,and Superman. However DC keeps going to that well. It's not shocking to kill a hero any more. It is common place. If they are falling back into crappy old habits like that then they don't need me as a writer. They need a hack. Body counts to boost sales is weak sauce.

To be honest none of them deserve to draw breath. Anyone who has read the book as long as I have can list a large amount of crap from all Major GL's

I love Green Lantern,and I would love help to fix it,but that is not fixing it.

If it happens though,Kyle and Guy seem to be the best options. Hal is the Icon. John is the Minority. so killing them would be a bad move. That leaves Guy and his one dimension,and Kyle who not even his creator can write anymore.

My vote is no no deaths.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:28 AM   #20
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
And ditto on that. I don't WANT Kyle to die; it's just if it had to be one of those four, he could take one for the team; get a nice statue, yada yada.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:43 AM   #21
myuserid
Lantern Hex

Why is anyone other than Kyle even on the list?
Old 02-07-2015, 12:48 AM   #22
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

If it had to be one, I'd choose Kyle or Guy, leaning towards Kyle. It's like the writers don't know what to do with him, so they keep reinventing his character with cheap light gimmicks.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:53 AM   #23
CaptainFrxz
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy Smasher View Post
I were going to write GL, and THREE had to die, I'd keep Guy.
I like you.
And i agree.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:30 AM   #24
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
And ditto on that. I don't WANT Kyle to die; it's just if it had to be one of those four, he could take one for the team; get a nice statue, yada yada.
I'm only playing along for the thread, that if you put a gun to my head and said to pick one. I wouldn't kill any of the 4 of them if I had a choice.

All 4 do need to get cleaned up a bit to be fair. They've gone off the rails with John's characterization, using past tragedies as a crutch in place of real characterization. Guy just needs his ring back and is the best off. Kyle is WAY the fuck off the rails and is probably the most in need of fixing. Hal has become window dressing in his own stories. They need to be brought back to basics to what made each of them appealing in the first place. And writers who get them.

Baz I'd throw under the bus with a shit eating grin on my face.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:22 AM   #25
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Kyle, because at this point his character is one who needs the most fixing, and a real death and eventual return story is about the best thing I can think up for him.