The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0
View Poll Results: If a GL *had* to die, who would you pick?
Hal Jordan 3,600 99.67%
John Stewart 6 0.17%
Guy Gardner 5 0.14%
Kyle Rayner 1 0.03%
Voters: 3612. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2015, 04:47 AM   #51
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

There's a flip side to this that we should also be weary of if DC did kill off one of the human GLs with at least the intention that they weren't bringing him back any time soon.

We run the risk that some genius at DC would try to take advantage of the situation and create ANOTHER human GL to replace him. Geoff Johns basically created two of them because he couldn't help himself. Someone else could get the same idea.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:47 AM   #52
TEN_RINGS
Weaponer of Qward

Kyle had an awesome run IMO,he got ten decent years far longer than Hal John or guy have ever gotten. Why are GLs so hard to write??? Wasnt Kyle the spiderman of DC? the hard luck kid who cant catch a break and actually has a life outside of fighting crime? That should be the easiest character for writing stories about.

I voted for John even though I dont think he should be killed(since i like him)
TEN_RINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:08 PM   #53
G'nortDoggie88
Major Force's Dinner Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEN_RINGS View Post
Kyle had an awesome run IMO,he got ten decent years far longer than Hal John or guy have ever gotten. Why are GLs so hard to write??? Wasnt Kyle the spiderman of DC? the hard luck kid who cant catch a break and actually has a life outside of fighting crime? That should be the easiest character for writing stories about.

I voted for John even though I dont think he should be killed(since i like him)
Even Spider-Man had to grow up sometime. Then again, there's One More Day...

Give 'em the evil look son!
G'nortDoggie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:28 PM   #54
mrumsey
Fatality's Blacksmith

That's the inherent problem with the Spiderman dynamic - you have to move past the "new guy" routine at some point. Lee and Ditko did a much better job of it, imo.

mrumsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:51 PM   #55
weareborg
Guy's Drinking Buddy

I had a hard time picking just one. I voted for John because, I can't stand a character whose only purpose is to be the black guy. Racism and segregation died over fifty years ago. Let's move on left, we've got a black president now.

The biggest problem GL has right now is too many characters and not enough panel space. Convergence imo should kill off all the human GL's but Hal. Everybody wants to be a pilot and everyone loves a hero. Movies like American Sniper and Lone Survivor are big blockbuster hits, a well-written Hal, with his huge rogue gallery, could rival, maybe even surpass Bat man with a little effort.
weareborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #56
TEN_RINGS
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareborg View Post
I had a hard time picking just one. I voted for John because, I can't stand a character whose only purpose is to be the black guy. Racism and segregation died over fifty years ago. Let's move on left, we've got a black president now.

The biggest problem GL has right now is too many characters and not enough panel space. Convergence imo should kill off all the human GL's but Hal. Everybody wants to be a pilot and everyone loves a hero. Movies like American Sniper and Lone Survivor are big blockbuster hits, a well-written Hal, with his huge rogue gallery, could rival, maybe even surpass Bat man with a little effort.
Your forgetting John actually was an american sniper now with his military retcon.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:04 PM   #57
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
There's a flip side to this that we should also be weary of if DC did kill off one of the human GLs with at least the intention that they weren't bringing him back any time soon.

We run the risk that some genius at DC would try to take advantage of the situation and create ANOTHER human GL to replace him. Geoff Johns basically created two of them because he couldn't help himself. Someone else could get the same idea.
Wasn't Geoff talking about a female Native American Green Lantern at one time? You know, move Kyle, John and Guy to space and Alan to Earth 2, and you just NEED some more human GLs, right?
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #58
weareborg
Guy's Drinking Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEN_RINGS View Post
Your forgetting John actually was an american sniper now with his military retcon.
Who was dishonorable discharged for punching a superior officer during a mission.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #59
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrumsey View Post
That's the inherent problem with the Spiderman dynamic - you have to move past the "new guy" routine at some point. Lee and Ditko did a much better job of it, imo.
How about the Teen Titans? How long are they going to be teenagers?

I didn't have a problem with Spider-Man being that same young character permanently. But with Kyle, you nuke the whole GL mythos and replace him with a guy who's a rookie for 10 years? No!
Old 02-11-2015, 07:42 PM   #60
G'nortDoggie88
Major Force's Dinner Date

Quote:
Who was dishonorable discharged for punching a superior officer during a mission.
Remember, when Jordan does it he's a badass. When Stewart does it, eh he's just there to be black eh too angry ehhhhhhhhh. Said officer wanted him to commit war crimes if I remember correctly.

Give 'em the evil look son!
G'nortDoggie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:39 PM   #61
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrumsey View Post
That's not a problem, that's called a character arc... it gives him somewhere to go. You start out with someone like Hal, there's nowhere for him to go (except possibly evil, which worked) because he's already Top Dog Dot Com and perfect.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:52 PM   #62
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

but theres LOTS of heroes this holds true for (Batman, Thor, Superman, Flash [Barry OR Wally], C. America, C. Marvel [from either company] & Ironman for starters), and yet for some incomprehensible reason *Hal* is difficult to work with/write for since....... he doesnt have to struggle for anything? is confident & isnt emotionally damaged/lacks built-in dogma like Bats?? wat?!??

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:25 PM   #63
TEN_RINGS
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
I'm only playing along for the thread, that if you put a gun to my head and said to pick one. I wouldn't kill any of the 4 of them if I had a choice.

All 4 do need to get cleaned up a bit to be fair. They've gone off the rails with John's characterization, using past tragedies as a crutch in place of real characterization. Guy just needs his ring back and is the best off. Kyle is WAY the fuck off the rails and is probably the most in need of fixing. Hal has become window dressing in his own stories. They need to be brought back to basics to what made each of them appealing in the first place. And writers who get them.

Baz I'd throw under the bus with a shit eating grin on my face.
I agree with everything in this post
Old 02-11-2015, 11:06 PM   #64
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
I had a hard time picking just one. I voted for John because, I can't stand a character whose only purpose is to be the black guy. Racism and segregation died over fifty years ago. Let's move on left, we've got a black president now. . .
Whew, I'm glad to hear racism is dead now.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #65
Tazer

Yo.

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Last edited by Tazer; 02-12-2015 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:37 PM   #66
weareborg
Guy's Drinking Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by G'nortDoggie88 View Post
Remember, when Jordan does it he's a badass. When Stewart does it, eh he's just there to be black eh too angry ehhhhhhhhh. Said officer wanted him to commit war crimes if I remember correctly.
While I agree, Geoff wrote that scene poorly, you're comparing apples to oranges. Johns should have had Hal Jordan apply for personal leave, and lie to his mother than punch his superior officer.

However, for the scenarios to be the same, Hal's superior officer would have had to order Hal to bomb a Joker munitions dump, in which Hal would have said I won't because the collateral damage will kill innocent civilians. Then in a fit of fury Hal flies to the airfield and does a strafe run on the command headquarters.

The military has a chain of command that may not always be right but doesn't go out of its way to put soldier's or the government in a moral dilemma.

I can see you have the typical left-wing knee-jerk reaction that everything is racist, but the military gives orders to protect soldiers and civilians. Color doesn't figure in to this scenario.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:11 PM   #67
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

You can keep a young character young. Think of it like the Trix Rabbit people expect him to not get the ceral. Though it would be fuuny as hell if he ever eat a bowl,and said " This Stuff tastes like shit! I have litterly been wasteing my life"! DC gets it's self into all kinds of trouble when they try to make sense of thier time line. They need to stop!

I think Kyle has a better shot of being liked as the young guy then he dose as Super Ultra mega Lantern Extreme with a shiney new title and Costume to boot.

Let's not kid ourselves. John had to become somone else in the JL cartoon to be liked. You"re no longer the nerdy Achatect now you are Sam Jackson.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:27 PM   #68
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
Let's not kid ourselves. John had to become somone else in the JL cartoon to be liked. You"re no longer the nerdy Achatect now you are Sam Jackson.
That's a good point.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:58 PM   #69
TEN_RINGS
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
You can keep a young character young. Think of it like the Trix Rabbit people expect him to not get the ceral. Though it would be fuuny as hell if he ever eat a bowl,and said " This Stuff tastes like shit! I have litterly been wasteing my life"! DC gets it's self into all kinds of trouble when they try to make sense of thier time line. They need to stop!

I think Kyle has a better shot of being liked as the young guy then he dose as Super Ultra mega Lantern Extreme with a shiney new title and Costume to boot.

Excellent post.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:26 AM   #70
weareborg
Guy's Drinking Buddy

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Whew, I'm glad to hear racism is dead now.
It is nice isn't it.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:42 AM   #71
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
. Racism and segregation died over fifty years ago.

Convergence imo should kill off all the human GL's but Hal. Everybody wants to be a pilot and everyone loves a hero.
Watch the news, look up a list of hate groups that the FBI is tracking, read some recent statements on issues with which the NAACP is dealing and you'll see that the "racism is dead" stance just isn't defensible.

As for the 2nd sentence, I wouldn't trade my artistic skills for pilot skills and a million dollars to boot. I'm not arguing that anyone other than Hal is the tentpole for GL, but there are numerous reasons that various other people find John, Kyle, or Guy more interesting than Hal. Killing them all off would cost DC fans and money.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:12 AM   #72
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
Watch the news, look up a list of hate groups that the FBI is tracking, read some recent statements on issues with which the NAACP is dealing and you'll see that the "racism is dead" stance just isn't defensible.

As for the 2nd sentence, I wouldn't trade my artistic skills for pilot skills and a million dollars to boot. I'm not arguing that anyone other than Hal is the tentpole for GL, but there are numerous reasons that various other people find John, Kyle, or Guy more interesting than Hal. Killing them all off would cost DC fans and money.
Yeah but you make it sound like we are still back in the 40's. We have come a long way. To pretend that a young Afracin American has to struggle as much as people back in the day did is Uncool. Is there racisim today,Certainly. people have a red white and Blue American right to be stupid. However they are in the minority. That's the real point. We have come along way. But we are still singling out characters because they are black.Singling some one out for thier skin color even if it's with good intentions is still raceist.

Last edited by Rotten2thecorps; 02-13-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Rotten2thecorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:58 AM   #73
Tazer

Yo.

ok, I see both sides of the arguments of John being used on the show, but I honestly think he couldve been an interesting character on JL if they'd kept him an architect; it was TPTB who decided to take him *even further* into stereotype territory by making him the "strong, mature, straight-backed, serious nubian soldier" guy, which then Johns liked so much he made it part of his comic backstory....becuz reasons. and U can be snide all ya want about them turning John into Sam Jackson to be liked, but lets not forget they had to do *even worse* to Guy, whom they made into an idiot shithead for the same reason.

face it: John is the only thing which kept that show from being subtitled 6 Caucasians & a Greenie, and while it bites cuz Id rather they'd have used Hal, it helped keep the show from looking generic as fuck (same reason they used Shayera/Shiera instead of Katar/Carter in the Hawk- role.)

Tazer

Quote:

Last edited by Tazer; 02-13-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:26 PM   #74
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

The beauty of comics is that characters don't have to age. Spider-Man could have been kept young. Kyle too. Just like Charlie Brown. What was annoying about Kyle was the 10-year rookie thing. He didn't need to ever be a rookie, except for maybe his first two stories or so. That stuff has a limited shelf life.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:49 PM   #75
weareborg
Guy's Drinking Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post

I watch the news all the time. The word racist is used to stop discussion, not right wrongs. Anyone who disagrees with this president is called a racist by the media, when in reality it's because people can't stand his policies. The media makes the news not report it. Brian Williams anyone?

I judge people by the content of their character not their skin color. Yet I say I don't like John because DC shoehorned him on a TV show for diversity only and it's insinuated I'm racist. Pluuuleeaaase!

As to your second sentence, sales don't back up what you're saying. People don't buy those other characters books, if they did, Hal would be gone, or never even have been brought back in the first place. DC losing you as a reader won't cost them millions.

Hello DC dumping the whole GL line would cost them much, they'll just print another Bat book