Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why aren't the Bat titles the diversity corner of the DCU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why aren't the Bat titles the diversity corner of the DCU?

Why is it Green Lantern instead?

There are so many But titles and they sell well enough that even if a "diversity initiative" didn't work very well there, it probably wouldn't do much damage.

Why would anyone cheerfully sacrifice Obsidian and Jade to make Alan, who had been straight for 75 years, suddenly gay, and think readers would be so pleased by this that the Earth 2 comic would fly off the shelves?

That didn't exactly go according to plan, did it?

If you're too unconfident to create a new gay character, then there are any number of older Bat characters who nobody has any reason to think ever were straight. So why do that to Alan rather than to one of them?

And why demote FOUR existing Earth Lanterns to promote two minority Lanterns who nobody asked for? Why not create such characters for the Bat-verse instead, where they'll be far less intrusive and problematic?

Come on now. If you're going to do this, then don't do it in a way that you should know very well will annoy a lot of people.

Are you in the business of making people swallow bad-tasting medicine that you think might be good for them? Or are you in the business of selling comics?
    Trey Strain
    Guardian of the Universe
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-11-2017, 01:19 AM.

On the Bat titles, the diversity checklist items I can think of offhand were the African in Batwing, and the lesbian in Batwoman. Was there anything else?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
      On the Bat titles, the diversity checklist items I can think of offhand were the African in Batwing, and the lesbian in Batwoman. Was there anything else?
      I don't much keep up with the Bat books, but I believe that's correct.

The whole damned thing ought to be over there, where's the most room for it and it's likely to do the least harm. Get it off Green Lantern's back.

Comment

I'm all for that. They usually have like 14 or so titles a month. Thats plenty of room to please the diversity police. And being the bread and butter of the DC line, that'd show the SJW DC means business.

Comment

Designating Green lantern for this goes way back. Remember Terry Berg? And Obsidian was designated as gay too.

Why not Alfred? He's a much more obvious choice.

Comment

Cassandra Cain is an Asian/former Batgirl, Duke Thomas is Lark/the first black Robin, Nightwing is Romanian, Batwoman's gay, Montoya/2nd Question was gay, and there's enough female sidekicks to shake a Batmobile at [Stephanie Brown/Spoiler, Batgirl, Carrie Kelly]. There's also Batwing as well as the other multi-national Batmen Inc. members....

Batman already had the diversity thing covered. And Alfred fits another minority... he's European.

~//V\\~

Comment

When you try out sales initiatives, you have to do them in a way that they'll cause the least amount of damage if they don't work. That's the idea behind my proposal that DC launch a line of recurring minis. If a mini title doesn't sell well for two stories (that is, eight issues), then so what? You've not harmed yourself. You just try something else.

DC has made Green Lantern its diversity corner while quite oblivious to the potential long-term harm that the changes it's made could do the property. There were already too many Earth Lanterns, but to "be diverse" they created two more, and promoted them over the original four? What could they have been the thinking about there?

Are they now going to keep Alan gay, with Jade and Obsidian gone? Why would they do that, when the idea flopped badly the first tine? Why can't they promote another gay character without doing so much collateral damage? And if making Alan gay flops again, how would they undo it a second time?

The Bat books are clearly the best place for any "diversity initiative." Choosing Green Lantern was random and borderline weird.

I'm assuming, of course that DC doesn't want to hurt its sales by doing this, and that it's unwilling to sacrifice Green Lantern on the altar of political correctness. I'm assuming that they see their job as making money for their investors. Maybe I'm wrong about that.
              Trey Strain
              Guardian of the Universe
              Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-11-2017, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
                Cassandra Cain is an Asian/former Batgirl, Duke Thomas is Lark/the first black Robin, Nightwing is Romanian, Batwoman's gay, Montoya/2nd Question was gay, and there's enough female sidekicks to shake a Batmobile at [Stephanie Brown/Spoiler, Batgirl, Carrie Kelly]. There's also Batwing as well as the other multi-national Batmen Inc. members....

Batman already had the diversity thing covered. And Alfred fits another minority... he's European.

~//V\\~
                Since he has you on Ignore.

The Batman line is already diverse Spy, you said earlier that you don't really follow the Batman line so here's the information.

Comment

Working...
                X