No announcement yet.

Son of Classic Horror Films (50s & 60s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Son of Classic Horror Films (50s & 60s)

Since the Pre-50s Classic Horror Films thread seemed to be doing so well, I thought we'd have another to include all of the 50s' strangeness as well as the classic Hammer studio oevre and things produced by directors like Mario Bava, Roger Corman, Jesus Franco and the like.

At least Moose thought it was a good idea, so if no one else shows up, I'll blame it on him...LOL.

First up: a couple of late 50s films, both involving creatures released from the Earth by tectonic movement;

TCM showed this last Saturday (you know...Rapture Day...LOL);

Tim Holt must have been channelling Joe Friday for this one. The monster actually didn't look half-bad considering the times and the budget. I just remember as a kid seeing this that I wished that they'd got Ray Harryhausen involved.

This scene does not appear in the movie...It's a still shot used as reference for the poster illustration.

Spielberg did not invent "Children in Peril".

And then there's this one that I watched in its entirety on YouTube today. I have not seen this film since I was about ten years old. Its basically an Italian version of The Blob with Mayan mythology, a little bit of voodoo and without the teen angst. Allegedly, Mario Bava (one of Tarrentino's heroes) was 'allowed' by the 'nominal' director to direct most of the film (uncredited, of course).

The Italians were not as squeamish about viscera back then.

The much anticipated sequel! Finally a place for Hammer films, Creature From The Black Lagoon, The Thing From Another World, Them!, Collossal Man, and so many other great films!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cormier View Post
      The much anticipated sequel! Finally a place for Hammer films, Creature From The Black Lagoon, The Thing From Another World, Them!, Collossal Man, and so many other great films!
      Tor needed a home.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cormier View Post
        I've always found it hard to place Gilly in a certain genre; he is definitely part of the classic monsters lineup, but it was so many years later that he came out that it was truly a different time period.

Ok, I want some honest opinions on "The Creature Walks Among Us"....it is my favorite Gilly movie. It didn't have the fluff and grandeur of the first (which I also like very much) but I think it captured that initial feeling of empathy and sadness for a creature that just wanted to be left alone. What do you guys think?

Comment

I think TCWAU is definately overlooked. It doesn't have the iconic value of the first movie, and not even the second one, which didn't stray too far from what worked in the first. The whole thing with them opperating on the Gillman to make him more human makes you a lot more symathetic, he's closer to a person than the monster he was before. And the ending is really sad.

Just goes to show that man shouldn't try to play God!
          Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
          Moisture Farmer
          Last edited by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker; 05-24-2011, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
            I've always found it hard to place Gilly in a certain genre; he is definitely part of the classic monsters lineup, but it was so many years later that he came out that it was truly a different time period.

Ok, I want some honest opinions on "The Creature Walks Among Us"....it is my favorite Gilly movie. It didn't have the fluff and grandeur of the first (which I also like very much) but I think it captured that initial feeling of empathy and sadness for a creature that just wanted to be left alone. What do you guys think?
            Gill has always been a tough one to 'pigeon-hole'...he looks alien, but he's terrestrial...he's human-shaped, but he's a fish...he's an Universal 'creature' but he's not 'goth' and he's from the decade of sci-fi...all of the others (Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman, The Mummy, the Invisible Man, Jekyll and Hyde, Phantom of the Opera, Quasimodo) were either human or had at least been human at some point...but we all love Gill and welcome him with open arms (or talons, or tentacles, what have you) on either thread.

I've been meaning to get the Universal box set of CBL for quite some time now but I seem to get derailed by requests for new Disney DVDs for the kids or stuff that my lovely wife needs for work. I would have to say that I've always, even in the first film, found Gill both extremely cool looking, and very sympathetic. He was minding his own business in the Black Lagoon. He didn't ask any of those humans to come mess with him. He was obviously glad when Ms. Adams showed up, but, well, we all know how that turned out.

As far as the third film goes, I can remember being dissappointed as a kid by the fact that after the beginning, he looks completely different...it was more like he had become The Invalid from the Black Lagoon. But, like I said, I was a kid then...what the hell did I know. But I really need to get my hands on these before I make any kind of educated comment (although, as you can see, that hasn't stopped me yet.)

Comment

Here's another quandary...a Dracula movie set in Small-Anytown, USA...some scenes in cemetaries that are about as non-gothic as you can get (like Forest Lawn shot with a day-for-night filter, or not).

There's more 'skin' in this poster than anywhere in the actual movie.

Abin Surly
              or ewe sirius
              Last edited by Abin Surly; 05-24-2011, 02:33 PM.

Comment

This was a toy made by Marx (believe it or not). Considering the title of this thread, what does this remind y'all of (Wizard of Oz and Lord of the Rings doesn't count).

Comment

I just watched a very strange late Hammer film made in 1970. They were by this time trying to 'resurrect' their formula by adding more blood and skin. Certainly not up to the standards of the early Hammer films. Not even really soft-core except for a couple of short scenes (although it was probably seen that way at the time of its release).

Some screen captures, just to give y'all an idea of the 'look' of the film. Our "no nipple" policy does not allow me to post most of the images that came up in the Google search.

Comment

Today's feature certainly 'looked' like a Hammer film, but then it also looked like a Jesus Franco movie for that matter. The cinematography has that late 60s - early 70s made-for-British-television look to it.

"[The director] Larraz admitting he had no interest in logical story telling, and Larraz comparing his script to Bukowski’s novels."

Yup.

I'll be heading back to "real" Hammer films from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by Abin Surly View Post

This was a toy made by Marx (believe it or not). Considering the title of this thread, what does this remind y'all of (Wizard of Oz and Lord of the Rings doesn't count).
                      ANSWER (if anyone cares):

Abin Surly
                      or ewe sirius
                      Last edited by Abin Surly; 05-28-2011, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Comment

Abin Surly
                          or ewe sirius
                          Last edited by Abin Surly; 06-02-2011, 03:30 PM.

Comment

I figured 'Gil' needed to be here on this thread, too. He's sort of the 'bridge' between the gothic 30s and 40s classic monsters and the more sci-fi monsters of the 50s.

Comment

Sorry I missed on the birth of this thread while on vaca. I love this time period of monster/horror/alien movies.

Given the success of last October's Drac/Frank double feature I'm hoping to do a 50s version this October for my church film club. My current thought is Invasion of the Body Snatchers (for aliens and Red Scare flix) and Them (for atomic mishap flix). However, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Thing from Another World, and The Blob have been bandied about too.

BTW: Lust for a Vampire was definitely different for Hammer. I think for it's day it would've border on soft core if you just think of the percentage of the film with some nudity in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X