X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
    Batman: The Movie (1966)

"A sparrow with a machine gun!"

Been a long time since I watched this, and even though my dad never liked West's version, I sat down today and watched it with him. He fell asleep a few times (regular Sunday naps, and this was right after lunch), I just kept watching.

This really makes me want to watch all the old episodes, but that would take a while and I'm busy as hell right now. I do find the massively tongue-in-cheek nature to be fun and a good form of escapism with all its outrageous nonsense, and I really love the restoration the Blu-ray has (picture quality is better than ever, and it's appreciated).

Sad as hell that West is gone, but he'll be fondly remembered.
    Around here the old shows are still aired on MeTV. Don't know if they have that channel where you are.

Comment

• Journey to the West (2013)

"I'm in search of greater love."

A very strange movie. At times gory, slapstick, goofy romcom, but interspersed throughout with (and I'd have to sat ultimately about) very serious Buddhism.

From Hell It Came (1957)

"Terry, will you stop being a doctor first and a woman second?"

Tai Chi Master (1993)

"The past is what makes up who we are. Don't let it become your burden."

Hell High [aka Raging Fury] (1989)

"There's nothing after High School. There's only more stink."
      Space Cop
      The Dandy
      Last edited by Space Cop; 06-26-2017, 03:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
        Around here the old shows are still aired on MeTV. Don't know if they have that channel where you are.
        My work site has a TV tuned in to that channel in one building, always running Bonanza when I walk by. Don't know if my home provider has the channel, so I'll have to check.
        Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Cat People (1982)

"I'm not like you."

Sleepwalkers (1992)

"I lied! It does have to hurt!"
          Space Cop
          The Dandy
          Last edited by Space Cop; 06-29-2017, 03:45 AM.

Comment

• seen Transformers the Last Knight last night............................ and i liked it (may even get the DvD) it's not as bad as the reviewers are saying

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

• Mystery Science Theater 3000: Cry Wilderness (1987/2017)

"What are they not going to shoot this time?"

Don't Breathe (2016)

"It's kind of messed up to rob a blind guy, isn't it?"
              Space Cop
              The Dandy
              Last edited by Space Cop; 06-29-2017, 03:45 AM.

Comment

• Nocturnal Animals

I thought this was a really good film, as the story is told from 3 different narratives and through wonderful metaphors.

Thumbs up.
                You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• MST3K: The Time Travelers (1964/2017)

"They're the Blandtastic Four."

Steep (2007)

"No one could tell me where I could ski, what I could ski, when I could ski. Any of those rules, thrown out the window. That was a really big freedom."

A pretty good documentary about extreme skiing. I liked it despite the fact that I've never even strapped on a pair of skis. Beautiful just to see.

And uniting the above two (without planning it):

MST3K: Avalanche (1978/2017)

"Just when you thought this movie couldn't get any whiter."

Comment

• How are those MST3K flicks? Haven't seen any new reviews in the relevant thread from you, and I was hoping for something to give me a good chuckle.

Comment

• Son of Godzilla (1967)

"Let's go to the beach."

Don't Go in the Woods [. . . Alone!] (1981)

"Killer like this, you probably won't get but one shot."

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                      How are those MST3K flicks? Haven't seen any new reviews in the relevant thread from you, and I was hoping for something to give me a good chuckle.
                      So, those last ones (with the 2017 dates) were all from the new Netflix show. I've liked them all so far. They're pretty fast paced and make lots of pop culture references.

Avalanche is a typical 70s catastrophe movie. Here they were particularly rough on Mia Farrow's total lack of chemistry with either man she's linked to and Rock Hudson's sexist domination. They rightly point out that it takes forever for the titular threat to arrive and that after it does an equal amount of damage is caused by panicky emergency response (like a cop who spins out on the ice and wipes out a store).

Time Travelers is a pretty bad 60s HG Wells knockoff with lousy acting. Their primary target was the goofy/useless sidekick character (Danny, iirc).

Cry Wilderness
                      is a bizarre family-friendly movie with a kid who's obsessed with his Bigfoot buddy (whom he is convinced sent him a telepathic warning that his ranger dad was in trouble) and disobeys every single adult that tells him to do anything. Throw in a great-white hunter (who the bots pretend is Stallone) and some American Indians and you have a movie that's just wacky enough I may have to watch it unriffed some day. It's bad, but my goodness how can I hate a movie where an old Indian in a wheelchair surrounded by forest animals tells a white kid to run away and help Bigfoot?!
                      Space Cop
                      The Dandy
                      Last edited by Space Cop; 07-01-2017, 03:11 AM.

Comment

• I'll have to check out Avalanche then, thanks.

Comment

• Kiss Me Deadly (1955)

"What's the pitch, Pat?"

Blood and Black Lace (1964)

"We sink or swim together."

An early Bava giallo, which is credited (along with Psycho and Peeping Tom) as being a proto-slasher. The killer also wears a trench coat and blank mask, giving them a look like the Question, though the commentary mentioned that Dick Tracy's villain The Blank had already premiered and there was some German crime novel with a similar perp.

I'll have to check out Avalanche then, thanks.
                          Yeah, that was the kind of movie I would've watched anyway, but somehow had never gotten to. I get a kick out of those disaster movies even the bad ones. This one also featured Robert Forster of Alligator and Jackie Brown fame.
                          Space Cop
                          The Dandy
                          Last edited by Space Cop; 07-01-2017, 03:10 AM.

Comment

• Shit man, I love Forster in Alligator, a favorite from my childhood. Depending on how good I find the flick, I might just buy it since he's in it.

Comment

• MST3K: The Beast of Hollow Mountain (1955/2017)

"It's Mexican Chinese New Year!"

Crossroads (1986)

"I'm the bluesman, he's from Long Island!"

Shit man, I love Forster in Alligator, a favorite from my childhood. Depending on how good I find the flick, I might just buy it since he's in it.
                              Yep, me too. He's a fairly important part here (third biggest, I guess). The movie's not quite as eclectic and all-star (imho) as other disaster movies so Farrow, Hudson, and Forster get a bit more screen time than their equivalents might in say Earthquake or Towering Inferno.

Space Cop
                              The Dandy
                              Last edited by Space Cop; 07-02-2017, 02:00 AM.

Comment

• The Equalizer (2014)

"I want the head of the snake."

A home improvement store worker intervenes when a young female prostitute is nearly killed, taking out a branch of the Russian mob. As the gangsters begin hunting him, he continues to reprimand criminals for the errors of their ways.

I've been putting off watching this because of various things that have come up, but I finally felt like popping this in at Dad's. Was not disappointed at all.

Denzel is the man himself, and he plays the aging mentor well here (the joke about The Pips is hilarious, I love it). I also love how they don't go the route of "he's dangerous but getting old, and slipping up a bunch." He's a goddamn killing machine the whole time.

You know how people joke about the Taken films just being Liam Neeson slaughtering dudes for two hours and the studio lies about there being a plot? This is the same thing, except with a tough-as-nails black dude with an award-winning smile. Though I was a little let down that we don't get to see what he does to the register robber.

The main antagonist, Teddy/Nicholai (Marton Csokas) is a ringer for Kevin Spacey, I swear. The acting all around was solid, from the coworker trying to become a security guard to the desperation of the corrupt cop trying to contain Nicholai's brutal handling of his boss's problems.

I really did like the style of the film. I don't know if John Wick's creators were taking some notes during a viewing of this or the other way around, but I swear they've got a lot in common. I talked with my comic shop's clerk, and he told me a bit about the old TV series with Edward Woodward, and after seeing this, I have a kind of urge to watch the pilot of that series, just personal curiosity and all.

Highly recommend.

Comment

Working...
                                X