The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 05-16-2017, 04:56 AM   #701
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

I think a team with characters from Charlton, Quality, Fawcett, etc. that DC owns should happen. The Freedom Fighters get more corny with each decade, and Last American Warriors isn't any better...

I'm a HUGE fan of the Fall and Rise of Capt. Atom and him getting back more to his roots post Rebirth. If he doesn't get an ongoing he needs to be on a team somewhere. Maybe they could reuse that Justice League United title for a group composed of purchased characters/concepts. Just a bummer Wildstorm and Milestone are separate now.

~//V\\~
-//V\\- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:01 AM   #702
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
DC did a team book of the then current versions of the Charlton heroes. It was title The L.A.W. Dick Giordano did it IIRC, and it was terrible. I would love to see it tried again though.
It was a six-issue mini that came out 20 years ago. I don't know how well it sold.

The way it was set up, the team was depicted pretty much like the Legion of Substitute Superheroes. The real deal -- the JLA -- was gone, so the Charlton chumps needed to step up.

Needless to say, if DC takes that attitude about a Charlton team again, the comic will fail. As well it should.

I think Captain Atom is too powerful to fit on the team. They should do something different with him.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-16-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:18 AM   #703
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I found the sales. The first issue sold 25,515 copies, and the sixth one sold 15,979. So, predictably, the B team approach didn't go over with the readers. DC will have to swallow any bias or condescension toward these characters and depict them as big boys. They won't sell as the JLA's JV squad or as comic relief.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-16-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #704
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

If you see your own characters as jokes or losers, then your readers will see them as worse than that. As much as I enjoy a lot of Keith Giffen's work, that's a bad long-term influence he's had. Can you have some humor a Charlton team title? Yes, you can and you should.

But you can't be dismissive of your characters. The readers will pick up on that and will drop your comic.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:15 PM   #705
Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I
First of His Name, King of the Andals and Jägerbombs

I liked Peacemaker as batshit crazy, like he was depicted in Vigilante, and the Peacemaker mini series that spun off from it. I don't want Blue Beetle to act like an idiot like he did in JLI. More like the Len Wein/Paris Cullins series. Captain Atom was best in the Cary Bates series. The Question the way he was handled in Denny O'Neil's series.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:27 PM   #706
JohnMc
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by -//V\\- View Post
So... Trump is the new Nixon, America is going to shit again, and superhumans like Superman will question his destiny similar to Doc Manhattan. Manhattan rewrote and retrofitted the DCU to give the future more of a fighting chance and the whole series will be meta and break boundaries.

This will either be HUGE for Geoff, or a big let down after all this build up and the restarting of a universe once again to cater to a Geoff story. I have a feeling it'll read something like an Ellis issue of Planetary.

If DC won't restore the Question back to his Ditko origins, they should stick Rorschach in the modern DCU post Doomsday Clock.

We have 'The Button.' Now the 'Doomsday Clock'. How about 'The Mask' for introducing Rorschach into the DCU.

~//V\\~
I can't understand why DC is letting Johns get political with this. They've been doing better than Marvel lately because they did away with the political propaganda with the Rebirth line. I can't imagine people who decided to give DC another chance are going to be happy that they're bringing back the political agenda.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #707
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
I can't understand why DC is letting Johns get political with this. They've been doing better than Marvel lately because they did away with the political propaganda with the Rebirth line. I can't imagine people who decided to give DC another chance are going to be happy that they're bringing back the political agenda.
Politics doesn't sell entertainment. Period. ESPN denies it, but its gratuitous political commentary is the main factor that's driving its viewers away. People who are trying to watch sports don't want to hear that stuff. It's the same with people who are trying to read comics.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:40 PM   #708

Remember several years ago when DC did that horrible event in 2008 called DCU: Decisions that centered around revealing which superhero would vote which way? Did anybody read that garbage?
Old 05-17-2017, 06:08 PM   #709
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Remember several years ago when DC did that horrible event in 2008 called DCU: Decisions that centered around revealing which superhero would vote which way? Did anybody read that garbage?
There was a blowhard character in a Hawkman comic who was a takeoff on Rush Limbaugh. As if Hawkman, of all comics, could afford to tell half its audience to go to hell.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #710
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Nobody wants to sign Colin Kaepernick, and look at how hard the news media are trying to persuade someone to take him.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/mi...204612801.html
Old 05-17-2017, 07:42 PM   #711
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Unless DC is making a comic book about the guy, WTF does it have to do with DC Comics? Post that shit in the NFL thread...

~//V\\~
Old 05-17-2017, 08:44 PM   #712
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
One person did:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2008/09/...sions-1-review
Old 05-17-2017, 08:48 PM   #713
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Todd Rundgren recently told Trump voters not to come to his shows. He's not exactly a guy who packs the arenas either. He's been living off Ringo Starr for a long time.

Why do people in the entertainment industry do this? It bites them in the ass every time.

If you're an actor, then act. If you're a singer, then sing. If you're an athlete, then play. If you're a comics writer, then write a story. Keep your politics to yourself. If you want to be a political commentator, then change your profession.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-17-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:16 PM   #714
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

The layout of DC's web site doesn't serve the site's purpose. It's supposed to help sell their publications, so all their ongoings, minis and collections should be displayed on the front page.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:57 PM   #715

Quote:
Originally Posted by -//V\\- View Post
I think a team with characters from Charlton, Quality, Fawcett, etc. that DC owns should happen. The Freedom Fighters get more corny with each decade, and Last American Warriors isn't any better...

I'm a HUGE fan of the Fall and Rise of Capt. Atom and him getting back more to his roots post Rebirth. If he doesn't get an ongoing he needs to be on a team somewhere. Maybe they could reuse that Justice League United title for a group composed of purchased characters/concepts. Just a bummer Wildstorm and Milestone are separate now.

~//V\\~
That Cap mini must be almost over now right? Has DC solicited the trade for it yet?
Old 05-18-2017, 04:14 PM   #716
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Last issue is early next month IIRC. I made a thread on it down a few spots on page 1 in this Other Comics sub forum. Lots of spoilers though.

~//V\\~
Old 05-18-2017, 04:31 PM   #717

I'll skip the spoilers. I actually want to read it. Just not in floppy form.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:35 PM   #718
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

I wish DC would get Hawkman back to readable again. Or a member of the JL or JLoA.

~//V\\~
Old 05-18-2017, 05:51 PM   #719

I have an entire longbox of Hawkman comics stretching back to his silver age run, and used to be a real fan of the character and different incarnations. Of all of them, the golden age JSA version was what I liked, so Geoff Johns' version of him was right up my alley, as he was really just an updated version of the golden age Hawkman. That run is still the best series IMO.

Everything from nU52 on I can't be bothered to consider owning it's so bad.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:09 PM   #720
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Yeah the shifting Nth metal and 'Wolverine with wings' approach didn't do it for me after Geoff managed to make the character gold.

~//V\\~
Old 06-02-2017, 02:55 PM   #721
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

These are the most recent sales for Black Panther and Cyborg. Why is Marvel's black super-hero selling pretty well, and DC's isn't? What is Marvel doing right?

BLACK PANTHER #13 $3.99 MAR 30,509

CYBORG #11 $3.99 DC 13,677
Old 06-02-2017, 03:44 PM   #722

People really like Black Panther? The guy has been around forever and has a better fanbase.

And they are completely different gimmicks. Growing up, I'd MUCH rather pretend I was Black Panther than being Cyborg. It sounds depressing as HELL to be him. Same with Robotman and The Thing. A super hero is someone you want to be, that supplies that wish fulfillment fantasy as a boy. Who in their right mind would fantasize about being Cyborg? That sounds like a living hell. Maybe that has something to do with the limited appeal?

I don't know, just throwing that out there.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:17 PM   #723
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

The Thing works as a supporting character but not as a solo star. So maybe Cyborg is inherently a supporting character. Not to mention that it's hard as hell in this mature industry to sell a solo star who isn't already over.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:06 PM   #724

Exactly. Thing? Great in FF, not so much on his own. Robotman? Great in the Doom Patrol, couldn't carry a solo title. Perhaps they are just overestimating Cyborg's appeal, and he is fine in a team title, but not solo title material. There's no shame in that.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:30 PM   #725
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

They just need to get him back to his roots with the Titans. Spinning him out of JL was never going to work. That's a good tidbit of info, Trey should've posted it in that Cyborg thread... oh wait...

LOL

~//V\\~