General

Old 10-08-2018, 09:44 PM   #7426
Space Cop
The Dandy

I Walked with a Zombie (1943)

"What he could do to that word: beautiful. That's Paul's great weapon: words."

Nightlife (1989)

"Whatever you do, never bury yourself alive."

A pretty weak made-for-cable vampire comedy.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985)

"Jesse, who is doing this to you?
-Fred Krueger! He's inside me, and he wants to take me again!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post
Venom
Stuckman (whom I recall you follow too) called it "massively disappointing." You?

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-14-2018 at 02:51 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:15 PM   #7427
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
"Jesse, who is doing this to you?
-Fred Krueger! He's inside me, and he wants to take me again!"
Great. First it's Dirty Sunday Night Football on the radio when I'm going into work this morning, and now it's Gay Horror Quotes from Space Cop when I'm browsing the boards.

Quote:
Stuckman (whom I recall you follow too) called it "massively disappointing." You?
Speaking for myself, if it's better than Spider-Man 3, I'll probably enjoy it (and I'll admit it looks pretty damn off-kilter to begin with).
Old 10-08-2018, 10:23 PM   #7428
Space Cop
The Dandy

Temple (2017)

"Bit of a letdown."

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

"Jack, please, I'm only an elected official here, I can't make decisions by myself!"

25 years old today (10/9). Truthfully, I've never watched it for the Halloween season before (though I know people do) because I think of it so much more as a Christmas movie.

From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)

"I'm a mean, mhm mhm servant of God."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
Great. First it's Dirty Sunday Night Football on the radio when I'm going into work this morning, and now it's Gay Horror Quotes from Space Cop when I'm browsing the boards. . .
In Never Sleep Again, they pretty hilariously cover all the unintended, but now blatantly obvious gay references, which extend to a seeming imbalance in the cast's sexuality. When the same documentarians covered Jason, they tried to do the same with Friday the 13th Part VII, but it's much less overt there.

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-16-2018 at 03:09 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:12 AM   #7429
robojac
Senior Corps Member

Batman Unlimited: Monster Mayhem (2015)

robojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:14 AM   #7430
Space Cop
The Dandy

School of the Holy Beast (1974)

"Hell has come."

Japanese 70s version of nunsploitation. Alright. The basic plot is that a young woman joins a strict convent because her mother died there at her birth and she wants to know why. A bunch of sadism and a dash of lesbianism follow. Although this was a "pink" film, they could get away with the digs at Catholicism (or at least ascetic Catholicism) because it's not a Christian/Catholic country. That said, the controversial bits are mostly topless nuns being beat or bound.

Plan 9 from Outer Space (1959)

"God help us in the future."

Watched this with the trivia track to celebrate the 94th anniversary of Ed Wood's birthday (10/10/24). And the following because I was still in a Wood mood.

Orgy of the Dead (1965)

"A pussycat is born to be whipped."

Nowhere near as explicit as it sounds (and certainly not an "erotic masterpiece"), though it's not a family movie. The "fun" part is the horrible dialogue and terrible acting (much worse than P9fOS).

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-16-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:58 AM   #7431
robojac
Senior Corps Member

Ex Machina (2015)

Old 10-12-2018, 12:58 AM   #7432
Space Cop
The Dandy

Nightworld (2017)

"Do not go into the hangar alone."

A widowed ex-cop (the main guy from Dazed and Confused) takes a private security job in Bulgaria guarding an ancient door under a creepy mansion. The basic concepts have been done better elsewhere, but it was alright and Robert Englund is good as the former caretaker who is called in as a consultant when anything appears on the many security cameras.

What We Do in the Shadows (2014)

"We're Werewolves, not Swear-Wolves."

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojac View Post
Ex Machina (2015)
That is a very good one.

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-14-2018 at 04:41 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:34 AM   #7433
robojac
Senior Corps Member

Annihilation (2018)

Old 10-13-2018, 02:56 PM   #7434
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Devil's Dolls [aka Worry Dolls] (2016)

"She'll be at peace soon."

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)

" You can't kill damnation, Mister."

Sinbad: Eye of the Tiger (1977)

"Set sail in search of Melanthius and you'll set a course for Hell and damnation."

Watched this again in prep for meeting Patrick Wayne at Monster Bash (Pittsburgh) next week.

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-24-2018 at 01:35 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:47 AM   #7435
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Not just a conventional biopic Oscar baity pic, this is also an excellent look into Neil Armstrong and his aspirations. The movie successfully convoys the horrors of space, and comes off as terrifying at points, while also being an engrossing feature doing its entire 2 hour+ runtime. Gosling and Foy are both excellent, and are definitely Oscar worthy. Definitely one of the best films of the year, might even be my favorite.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:07 AM   #7436
Space Cop
The Dandy

Bride of Chucky (1998)

"Chucky? He's so 80s. . . He isn't even scary."

Twenty years old now (10/15). I still remember seeing this one in theaters (first night, I think). I wasn't yet a gore hound but I was a Chucky fan.

Dracula [Sovereign of the Damned ](1980)

"A message from the disciples of Satan, darling. I wonder what it could be?"

An alright animated adaptation of Marvel's Tomb of Dracula.

The Body Snatcher (1945)

"Well, I've no wish for a rope cravat. I never like the small of hemp."

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-19-2018 at 02:32 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:11 AM   #7437
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

The Pirates of Blood River (1962)

"I am not guilty. The cause of Maggie's death... was fear. Fear of her brutal husband. Yes, fear is your weapon, and it's a dangerous weapon because one day it will recoil on your heads. "

A young lover is exiled for adultery, and after grueling months at a penal quarry he manages to escape only to be captured by pirates. He strikes a deal with their captain to overthrow the corrupt town council in exchange for the pirates gaining a safe haven from patrolling navies, but things go south fast and the pirates demand the town's hidden treasure or they'll kill everyone.

Starring Oliver Reed, Christopher Lee, and Kerwin Mathews, Peter Arne, and Andrew Keir, this isn't the grandest flick (pretty humble, really) but it is fairly entertaining. You've got the Huguenots being the founders of the town on the Isle of Devon to escape persecution before falling to corruption themselves, which isn't a backstory I've seen very much (if ever; can't recall the Huguenots being mentioned outside of a historical text before), so I have to give that part a nod of appreciation for being a fairly original/uncommon premise.

I did like some of the acting, even if it wasn't especially inspired dialog. Andrew Keir has this really great retort to LaRoche (Lee) about not yielding to the Devil when threatened, and later when Mathews (playing his son, the exile) tries to urge his father to give up the hidden treasure, he comes up with this equally-impressive argument while still refusing (not very moral because he is willing to sacrifice the entire town just to spite some pirates, but still principled and inspired in its own way). On the opposite side you have Mathews, who wants fair laws and justice for his people, trying to find a safe way out of the madness engulfing them.

I have to say that Lee is somewhat handicapped in this role. He isn't poorly written, not really, but his character of Captain LaRoche is limited a bit and mostly just ruthless and pragmatic, not really given much room to be charismatic. He also has this ongoing issue where he can't use his left arm, always has up curled up to his side without a sling or anything, but we never get an explanation as to what the deal is about that.

For Oliver Reed fans...he gets a fairly cool fight against Peter Arne (playing Hench the Pirate), but otherwise he serves no real purpose here. The fight, in case you're wondering, is a blindfolded duel when the two start arguing about who gets to use a town girl (Marla Landi), and is actually a fun watch.

Oddly, when I popped the disc into my dad's PS4, a notice came up about the file being in 480 or 810 or something, a bunch of text. I've literally never seen such a thing before, and then when I dismissed it (from the TV, the PS4 didn't apparently have any ability to affect the notice), the disc wouldn't play. I tried again and everything worked. Goddamn weird.

Overall a decent film, and I now need to watch The Devil-Ship Pirates, which is on the same disc.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:38 AM   #7438
Space Cop
The Dandy

A Quiet Place (2018)

"Who are we if we can't protect them? We have to protect them."

Dawn of the Dead (2004)

"What's the news?
-Bad."

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-28-2018 at 04:44 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:14 PM   #7439
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

The Devil-Ship Pirates (1964)

"You're going to the West Indies with us, and I'm going to strip you of your ideals one by one until you're no better than the rest of us!"

Suffering heavy damage during a clash against the British Navy, the Spanish Armada privateer ship Diablo flees and hides on the English coast to effect repairs. While scouting the countryside and nearby town, an Armada officer tricks the locals into thinking that the Spanish won the war against England and the pirates now have free run of the peasants.

Another pirate flick starring Christopher Lee as Captain Robeles, Andrew Keir as Harry's father Tom, and one of the sidekick pirates from The Pirates of Blood River (pretty sure it's Michael Ripper since he was a known character actor, but it might have been Charles Houston, I dunno).

I've gotta say Lee is one sadistic bastard in this film. He tightens his grip on the village and his men naturally act more and more without discipline, which drives the remaining Armada officer (Barry Warren) nuts because he holds tight to his sense of duty while the pirates revel in their newfound power and debauchery.

I think other than Lee, the best performances belong to John Cairney (Harry, He of the Limp Arm, apparently a staple in pirate films written by Jimmy Sangster), who used to be a prisoner of the Spanish and loathes them, and helps organize a resistance to Lee's tyranny; and Barry Warren as Don Manuel Rogriguez de Sevilla, who just wants to return to service to King Phillip of Spain and not indulge in a pirate's life. Between the two I think Warren's performance is better, because we get to see these inner and outer struggles as he wrestles with living as a pirate versus upholding his sense of nobility and duty.

Notable side character of Sir Basil, the smug-little-shit politician played by Ernest Clark.

Personally I liked this better than Blood River, especially with the duel between Lee and Warren at the end and the explosive finale. It has a much better script and some good set pieces, a solid premise and admirable performances. I wish Warren's character had gotten a better finish, but his end was very respectable and noble, and I suppose that'll do.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:08 PM   #7440
Space Cop
The Dandy

I Was a Teenage Frankenstein (1957)

"I know you have a civil tongue in your head because I sewed it back myself."

Pretty entertaining.

Grim Prairie Tales (1990)

"What surprises me is that you've survived so long, not knowin' two spits and half a fart about the country you're in."

Western horror anthology with Brad Dourif and James Earl Jones play the storytellers.

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-24-2018 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:41 AM   #7441
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

First Man Review.

https://dailyuv.com/968792
Old 10-17-2018, 05:04 PM   #7442
Space Cop
The Dandy

A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988)

"Welcome to Wonderland, Alice."

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)

"In my dreams I'm beautiful . . . and bad!"

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-19-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:12 AM   #7443
robojac
Senior Corps Member

Hostiles (2017)

Old 10-19-2018, 02:35 AM   #7444
Space Cop
The Dandy

Alone in the Dark (2005)

"My mommy says that there is nothing to be afraid of in the dark.
-Your mother's wrong, kid. Being afraid of the dark is what keeps most of us alive."

Alone in the Dark II (2008)

"I've made my peace with the occult."

A little bit better than Boll's original. Mostly watchable (if it is) because of it's cast that has several people with horror cred.

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-28-2018 at 04:46 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:42 AM   #7445
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Ugh, Uwe Boll cinema. Don't tell me you plan on also watching House of the Dead?
Old 10-19-2018, 03:39 AM   #7446
Space Cop
The Dandy

Christine (1983)

"You better watch what you say about my car. She's real sensitive."

Hellraiser (1987)

"We'll tear your soul apart."

Tales from the Hood 2 (2018)

"I ain't no vampire, fool. Next time, try watching The Exorcist."

Not very good and so overtly political.

The Exorcist (1973)

"I am no one."

Quote:
Ugh, Uwe Boll cinema. Don't tell me you plan on also watching House of the Dead?
[So, here's my experience with Uwe Boll, who (from what I've read) is a real jerk besides being a bad director.]

I've seen House of the Dead and kind of find it in that so-bad-it's-good category to the point where I might buy it if I found it at a flea market or something for a couple bucks. It's visually appealing and the acting was literally LOL bad for me.
I found Boll's Tunnel Rats and this one (Alone) in that category of having some potential and good points (Slater and the concepts of the advanced ancient society and the invisible demons) but totally blown. [The reason I even watched this knowing its rep was that I saw a preview for the sequel and want to see it, but couldn't bring myself to watch it sans the original.]
Boll's movie I probably found most watchable was Bloodrayne, which I'd put on the low end of average for an adventure cheapie. Kristana Loken's hotness and Michael Maden's insanity put that one on that same level of possibly being worth a $3 purchase . . . possibly.
In the Name of the King I actually quit on, which I almost never do (no matter how bad), but at the time I was studying for a master's level exam and realized the film didn't justify the waste of time.
So, yeah, I agree he's a horrible director, but for some reason I keep feeling compelled to see these movies and share in people's pain or the notoriety or something.

Last edited by Space Cop; 11-05-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:29 AM   #7447
robojac
Senior Corps Member

Under The Skin (2013)

Old 10-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #7448
Space Cop
The Dandy

Freddy vs. Jason (2003)

"Hey. Gibb, what are you doing? I thought you were gonna quit.
-I only smoke when I drink now.
But you're always drinking.
-Yeah, well, I'll work on that next."

[Wes Craven's] New Nightmare (1994)

"Just because it's a love story doesn't mean it can't have a decapitation or two."

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare [aka A Nightmare on Elm Street 6] (1991)

"Every town has an Elm Street!"

A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989)

"What's wrong with me?
-Nothing. You're just a little pregnant."

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-29-2018 at 02:25 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:45 PM   #7449
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
[So, here's my experience with Uwe Boll, who (from what I've read) is a real jerk besides being a bad director.]
The only Boll film I've ever heard anything remotely good about is Rampage, but I still have no intention of watching it.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:23 AM   #7450
Space Cop
The Dandy

At Monster Bash in Pittsburgh and saw

Gorilla at Large (1954)

"Always on my toes.
-Well, get off 'em. You're a police officer, not a ballet dancer."

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

"They're dead alright. They're all messed up."

The Bride and the Beast (1958)

"Weird."

King Kong (1933)

"I hear it's a kind of a gorilla.
-Gee, ain't we got enough of them in New York?"

KK and NotLD were actually film prints owned and projected by the guy who convinced Mom and I to try this con and whom we casually knew from another con. Fun to see these movies that I'm real familiar with on actual film and with a crowd of fans.

Quote:
The only Boll film I've ever heard anything remotely good about is Rampage, but I still have no intention of watching it.
I heard that too. I'll probably make the mistake of watching it one day.

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-29-2018 at 02:23 AM.