The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 06-30-2017, 09:07 PM   #251
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

My idea is to make Sinestro a fugitive who doesn't show up in GL very often. Just once in a while. He regrets what he did but he doesn't want to turn himself in. You can get plenty of stories out of that, as long as you space them out.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:12 PM   #252
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Anyway, Sinestro has committed other murders. Why would killing Abin Sur make him any worse?

He'll kill Abin to get his ring and his power battery.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:23 PM   #253
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I just don't like it. It's like that stupidity of having the Joker kill Bruce's parents in the 1989 Batman movie. Terrible idea.

Let people do stupid things with other franchises, but I'd rather stop that practice with GL, not expand upon it. Sounds like Something Geoff Johns would have toyed with, then even he came to his senses.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:30 PM   #254
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

That's because you're going to oppose a reboot no matter what. The Joker killing the Waynes was ridiculous, but Sinestro being the one who killed Abin makes sense. Why would a GL turn bad, especially one who was "the greatest?" That's silly. Sinestro should never even have been chosen as a GL. He should be a usurper.

He kills Abin and steals his ring and battery. Then the CPB then puts rings on new Earth Lanterns to replace Abin, and they're clueless and thrown into a very difficult situation with Sinestro.

There's your first story.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:54 PM   #255
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
I just don't like it. It's like that stupidity of having the Joker kill Bruce's parents in the 1989 Batman movie. Terrible idea. . .
I actually think it worked for that movie though I wouldn't want it in the comics. It would've worked even better if the movie had been standalone because it would've completed the story (and I've heard that Burton said he didn't consider Returns a real sequel, though I don't think that holds). I'd still rather have that than an intense Joker who laughs for like five seconds and looks like he had a seizure while putting on his makeup.

Last edited by Space Cop; 06-30-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:22 PM   #256
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
That's because you're going to oppose a reboot no matter what. The Joker killing the Waynes was ridiculous, but Sinestro being the one who killed Abin makes sense. Why would a GL turn bad, especially one who was "the greatest?" That's silly. Sinestro should never even have been chosen as a GL. He should be a usurper.
I think the notion of him taking a "law and order" attitude to too great an extreme, and then getting slapped down for it, and then snapping and going for revenge against the organization that he sees as unfairly condemning him works plenty well. It makes for a more interesting character than "guy who killed a GL and took his ring", which could be ANY GL villain. In fact, you'd think logically ANY villain that killed a GL WOULD take the ring if that wasn't problematic in some way.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:01 PM   #257
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I think the notion of him taking a "law and order" attitude to too great an extreme, and then getting slapped down for it, and then snapping and going for revenge against the organization that he sees as unfairly condemning him works plenty well. It makes for a more interesting character than "guy who killed a GL and took his ring", which could be ANY GL villain. In fact, you'd think logically ANY villain that killed a GL WOULD take the ring if that wasn't problematic in some way.
Agreed. Ten times over.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:33 PM   #258
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Post deleted. Too many spoilers.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-01-2017 at 06:42 AM.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:52 PM   #259
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

So, dare I ask, in your fanfic, why does Sinestro end up with Abin's ring and lantern, and not Hal Jordan?
Old 06-30-2017, 11:54 PM   #260
Mister Ed

I liked the plot of Emerald Dawn I + II better than that (EDII's handling of Sinestro is WAAAAAY better than that, IMHO).

I'm not sure anymore what the CURRENT origin story is, though.

I do recall not being terribly impressed with some of the more recent retcons to it.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 06-30-2017 at 11:58 PM.
Mister Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:56 PM   #261
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
So, dare I ask, in your fanfic, why does Sinestro end up with Abin's ring and lantern, and not Hal Jordan?
Hal, Guy, John and Kyle get their rings and batteries directly from the CPB. Not pre-owned models.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:00 AM   #262
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I liked the plot of Emerald Dawn I + II better than that (EDII's handling of Sinestro is WAAAAAY better than that, IMHO).

I'm not sure anymore what the CURRENT origin story is, though.

I do recall not being terribly impressed with some of the more recent retcons to it.
Of course I took the part about Sinestro using the naive new Lanterms from ED2.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-01-2017 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:16 AM   #263
Mister Ed

Quote:
Of course I took the part about Sinestro using the naive new Lanterms from ED2.
Then you remember it wrong. Sinestro was already a dictator when he started training Hal. He didn't use him to establish a dictatorship. It took just took Hal a little while to realize that Sinestro was a dictator, since Sinestro was controlling what he saw on his planet (until the open revolt, that is), though even before he realized it was "enforced", he was uncomfortable with the amount of reverence on display.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 07-01-2017 at 12:29 AM.
Mister Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:35 AM   #264
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I said I took the idea about Sinestro using naive young Lanterns from ED2. I didn't say it would happen exactly the same way in this story.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:58 AM   #265
Mister Ed

Quote:
I said I took the idea about Sinestro using naive young Lanterns from ED2. I didn't say it would happen exactly the same way in this story.
What did he "use" Hal for? Hal WAS a rookie in EDII, and he DID spend time with Sinestro, but it wasn't Sinestro's idea (he didn't even WANT to have Hal around, but was assigned by the Guardians to train him) and he didn't "use" Hal that I can recall.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:30 AM   #266
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
What did he "use" Hal for? Hal WAS a rookie in EDII, and he DID spend time with Sinestro, but it wasn't Sinestro's idea (he didn't even WANT to have Hal around, but was assigned by the Guardians to train him) and he didn't "use" Hal that I can recall.
Hal saved Sinestro's ass because he thought Sinestro was a good guy. That's being fooled and used. Anyway that's too much quibbling. Characterize that story any way that makes you happy. Sinestro is going to use Hal and the others this time.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-01-2017 at 01:47 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:03 AM   #267
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Hal, Guy, John and Kyle get their rings and batteries directly from the CPB. Not pre-owned models.
Ugh. Well, at least you get to be creative with it I suppose.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:18 AM   #268
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

He says it like the CPB is sentient and doesn't even need somebody to operate it...

~//V\\~
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:44 AM   #269
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Ugh. Well, at least you get to be creative with it I suppose.
Why should they get used rings? For sentimental reasons? So the CPB can cut its operating costs?

That can't be the standard operating procedure.

The property's ur-villain can steal a used one. That'll be good enough for him. He should have never gotten a new one. Why would Sinestro be chosen as a Lantern?

You've read those old stories where getting a ring was said to actually MEAN SOMETHING, haven't you? I'm using that quaint idea.

Which of course also means no emotional spectrum.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-01-2017 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:07 AM   #270
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern

Quote:
Why should they get used rings? For sentimental reasons? So the CPB can cut its operating costs?

That can't be the standard operating procedure.

The property's ur-villain can steal a used one. That'll be good enough for him. He should have never gotten a new one. Why would Sinestro be chosen as a Lantern?

You've read those old stories where getting a ring was said to actually MEAN SOMETHING, haven't you? I'm using that quaint idea.

Which of course also means no emotional spectrum.
Actually, it is the standard operating procedure. When a Lantern dies, their ring goes to another worthy person. Unworthy people--like you're making Sinestro out to be--shouldn't even be able to successfully make much use of Power Rings, in my opinion. If willpower doesn't matter, and ANYONE can use power rings, what is the criteria for being chosen as a Lantern?

Also, I don't see any point to the Guardians if you're having the Central Power Battery making ALL the decisions, which I personally find to be a silly idea. Personally, I don't think the thing should be making ANY decisions. It's a tool. A device. Not some kind of master.

But yeah, I can't say I'm a fan of your vision of Green Lantern, and I haven't seen anyone, of the numerous people I've seen comment on it, actually say anything good about it. I just point that out because I think it's ironic that you have such certainty that your ideas would be so successful if implemented, but I can't recall ever seeing any positive reception to them.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 07-01-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:37 PM   #271
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I don't understand why anyone is going to the mat for recycled rings. Why is that important? But OK, let's say I'd use that. Sinestro could still steal Abin's ring. How is it a deal killer that Hal gets a new ring instead of Abin's ring? Do John, Guy and Kyle need to get used rings too, and if so, then why? That objection isn't computing for me, and the readers would never even notice it.

And you haven't heard what I'd do with the Guardians, because I haven't told you So don't assume you'd never see them, and then object to that. I'd just keep them off-camera most of the time, so they can't be bitched at by the Lanterns or be used by the writers to generate cheap conflict. We've seen from long experience what that leads to. Less is more with them.

There's a psychology at work about them that needs to be recognized. If the Guardians make a particular decision, then the writers and the readers will assume that there's a tendency for the decision to be wrong. That's because the Guardians have faces and personalities, and can be argued with. The fact that they're 10 billion years old cuts no mustard with the readers and the writers. But if a super AI that the Guardians built makes that same decision, then the writers and the readers will accept it. That's just the psychology of human beings.

The CPB will handle operations. The Guardians will be ascended masters who have moved beyond all material concerns and have created the GLC as a gift to lesser beings. They'll appear on special occasions, but be depicted the way that beings who are 10 billion years old should be.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-01-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #272
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

I don't know why you guys still bother trying to have a conversation with him, he always knows what's best for the GL mythos and we're all idiots

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:22 PM   #273
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Post deleted.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-01-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:24 PM   #274
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Don't get the idea that the CPB would be very active either. It would choose new Lanterns and hand out some infrequent emergency assignments, but that's all. The Lanterns would be essentially autonomous.

I don't think any reader would object to that. Certainly no Lantern would.

BUT... for the Lanterns to receive that kind of power and autonomy, it's essential that the CPB never make a mistake as to who gets a ring. That means Sinestro shouldn't be handed one.

This setup isn't complex. It actually constitutes a simplification.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:52 PM   #275
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I'm going to repost something that I posted earlier but deleted. It's what should have happened in the GL movie, and it's what should happen in a reboot of Green Lantern.

Sinestro and Abin Sur live on Korrugar. Sur is a Green Lantern, and Sinestro is jealous of him. The Weaponers of Qward offer Sinestro a yellow ring with which to kill Sur. In return they want Sinestro to use Sur's green ring to give them a portal through which to enter this universe. They plan to destroy the Green Lantern Corps in a surprise attack. They tell Sinestro they'll let him rule Korrugar, but they actually want to kill him, and to loot Korrugar and many other worlds.

After Sinestro assassinates Sur, the CPB gives power rings and batteries to Hal, Guy, John and Kyle. Sinestro sees a chance to put these unsuspecting rookies to work helping him conquer and subjugate Korrugar.

Meanwhile the Qwardians enter this universe and attack the GLC. The Earth Lanterns finally figure out what's going on and join with the Corps to fight Sinestro and the Qwardians.

The Corps defeats the Weaponers and drives them back to their universe, but Sinestro escapes with Sur's ring and power battery.

The Earth Lanterns then start deciding what they're going to do with their rings.

That movie wouldn't have lost $90 million.