The Westerner -- 1960

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Westerner -- 1960

I recommend that you watch the episodes in order.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG9...K1SF6ETcd_CPfw

The network forced Peckinpah to give Brian Keith a high-powered telescopic rifle as a gimmick. Peckinpah hated the rifle and got it dropped after a few episodes.

Comment

Brown was played by a dog named Spike. Spike had also played Old Yeller.

Comment

Jack Gariss, who was the associate producer of The Westerner, later became a spiritual lecturer on radio. He was the original version of Eckhart Tolle.
        Trey Strain
        Guardian of the Universe
        Last edited by Trey Strain; 08-24-2019, 01:52 AM.

Comment

I watched then all (alternating episodes between streaming movies). It was good. If it had go on real long, I might not have continued, though. For some reason, while I love western movies, I've never felt the same about western TV shows with the exception of Bonanza (which I watched in reruns as a kid) and Deadwood.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
            I watched then all (alternating episodes between streaming movies). It was good. If it had go on real long, I might not have continued, though. For some reason, while I love western movies, I've never felt the same about western TV shows with the exception of Bonanza (which I watched in reruns as a kid) and Deadwood.
            Thing is, there are more Western television shows to watch than Western movies. If you limit yourself to the movies, you'll run out of stuff to watch pretty soon.

I think Hand on the Gun was the best episode. Bruce Geller's script was great, and Michael Ansara and Ben Cooper were excellent in guest roles. Cooper was a quick-draw artist in real life.

But the episode called Treasure was almost as good. It was written by Cyril Hume, who wrote Forbidden Planet. He also wrote Tarzan Escapes, which was probably the best Tarzan movie. Tarzan Escapes would have been even better excepts that a scene that showed an attack by giant bats was cut out because it was deemed too frightening.
            Trey Strain
            Guardian of the Universe
            Last edited by Trey Strain; 08-19-2019, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
              Thing is, there are more Western television shows to watch than Western movies. If you limit yourself to the movies, you'll run out of stuff to watch pretty soon...
              I suppose, but that's still hundreds and hundreds of movies and I don't watch only Westerns.

I think Hand on the Gun was the best episode. Bruce Geller's script was great, and Michael Ansara and Ben Cooper were excellent in guest roles. Cooper was a quick-draw artist in real life...
              That felt like the series' heart. Very good. I love Ansara (as a Trekkie, I knew him).

But the episode called Treasure was almost as good. It was written by Cyril Hume, who wrote Forbidden Planet. . .
              That was good. It felt like a rehash of Treasure of Sierra Madre, but that's okay. Most episodes were good. I liked the one with the teacher's death. The comedy episodes were weaker but allowed them a recurring character.

Comment

Working...
              X