Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Fan Works
FLASHCHAT

About Us

Old 08-10-2008, 09:55 AM   #26
SIlverLantern
Major Force's Dinner Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelantern View Post
You know a GL can shape their battery to look like whatever they want. So if a Green Lantern wants a staff, they can have one.
wasn't there also a sort of black ops GL corps that used a sort of coin they swallowed? it projected purple energy i think
Old 08-20-2008, 09:29 PM   #27
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

BuMp

I've made a few more rings. This ought to finish it all off, unless there's more I don't know about.

1) The first one is Alan Schott's from Secret Origins (the old comic series, not the new story arc). Normally, I don't consider different artistic interpretations of the same ring worth making, but I really like the look of this ring in particular. Sadly, I don't think I quite did it justice.

2) "I vow to kill Green lantern!" This ring is one I missed the first time and it's from issue 64 of Volume 2. It was made by Hector Hammond as a way to make Hal Jordan look foolish after his ring was "taken away" by the Guardians. It was powered by a lazer-something he made and was never seen again .... even though it worked.

3) Star Saphire's ring from Action Comics Weekly. I opted not to make this ring the first time because ... well, look at it. But in this form her gem had GL-power (the ability to make constructs), so... since I'm being strict about it...

4) Sinestro's origional yellow ring. The yellow GL-styles ring only appeared once as far as I can tell, and it's often replaced witht he jewed yellow ring ... but it's still a fairly important rendition of his ring, I think. So I made it.

5) A different rendition of the symbol ring from later in Volume 2. I just liked the way it looked. The regular GL ring is rarely drawn like this.

6) Stewart-Power Ring's ring from the recent issues of JLA. It might be vulnerable to purple. It's just different enough for me to want to make it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rings2.jpg (49.1 KB, 148 views)
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:08 AM   #28
SIlverLantern
Major Force's Dinner Date

Quote:
I'm not disputing the idea that they do not use rings. I actually used the same panel to think that they do have them.

I just don't want the ring collection thread to be derailed any longer
sorry bout that wasn't my intention

Im makeing a full set in snd life atm Including a set so you can weild all 8 (think i may just keep that set for my self though
Old 08-23-2008, 08:19 PM   #29
Jack T. Chance
Really knows where his towel is!

Location: The Planet Garnet, AKA "Hellhole", Space Sector 0017
Exclamation

Man, Gauntlet101010, talk about being thorough!

I think the only thing you're missing now is the rings from the Silver Age crossover event DC did back in 2000... I've always heard that there were multi-colored rings in that story, including the first ever appearance of a blue power ring! Never read the story, though, so I can't confirm this. But I'm sure someone on this forum knows the story I'm referring to and can fill us in further.

Here's the latest addition to my collection, thanks to Limelantern fulfilling his end of a trade we began awhile ago:

Now I'm all set for the Baltimore Comic Con, and the (eventual) premiere of the Green Lantern Motion Picture!

Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 08-23-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Jack T. Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:01 AM   #30
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
Man, Gauntlet101010, talk about being thorough!

I think the only thing you're missing now is the rings from the Silver Age crossover event DC did back in 2000... I've always heard that there were multi-colored rings in that story, including the first ever appearance of a blue power ring! Never read the story, though, so I can't confirm this. But I'm sure someone on this forum knows the story I'm referring to and can fill us in further.

Here's the latest addition to my collection, thanks to Limelantern fulfilling his end of a trade we began awhile ago:

Now I'm all set for the Baltimore Comic Con, and the (eventual) premiere of the Green Lantern Motion Picture!
Nice. I like that they glow. You should make a whole LOT of them!

heh ... well, if I'm gonna make 8 rings, I may as well make every single "different" type of GL ring in existence, right? That's what I figure, anyhow.

I have the GL issue of "the Silver Age" and it wasn't anything special. I'd have to check up on it tho .... this is the first I've heard of this. But I have rules for what counts and what doesn't ... mirages or illusions don't really count. But I might do the ring anyhow if I think it'd be neat. And it might be neat.

I actually got to show this to Ethan Van Sciver and Patrick Gleason and they really dug it. Sadly it was right as Ethan was leaving, but it was still nice to show since I had no clue they'd be at Fan Expo.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:10 AM   #31
Jack T. Chance

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauntlet101010 View Post
Nice. I like that they glow. You should make a whole LOT of them!
Again, not made by me. So, I have neither the molds nor the skill necessary to make them, I'm afraid.
Quote:
I have the GL issue of "the Silver Age" and it wasn't anything special. I'd have to check up on it tho .... this is the first I've heard of this. But I have rules for what counts and what doesn't ... mirages or illusions don't really count. But I might do the ring anyhow if I think it'd be neat. And it might be neat.
Well, someone told me about the supposed differently colored power rings back when this series was hitting news stands, so take it with a grain of salt. It's possible they were just pulling my leg. I looked up Silver Age on wikipedia, and in the plot breakdowns for each issue, there's no mention of these new power ring colors. Granted, wikipedia isn't exactly what you'd call an authoritative source, but I figured it was a starting point, at any rate.
Quote:
I actually got to show this to Ethan Van Sciver and Patrick Gleason and they really dug it. Sadly it was right as Ethan was leaving, but it was still nice to show since I had no clue they'd be at Fan Expo.
He's supposed to be at the Baltimore Comic Con the final weekend in September, if you want another chance to meet him and talk with him!
Old 08-25-2008, 05:22 AM   #32
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

hah, no, that's okay. I made these rings for myself. It's enough that he saw them briefly and was genuinely impressed. Although he thinks the current Saphire ring is better than the ring-pop they gave her in AC Weekly. Can't say I disagree. :P
Old 08-27-2008, 11:51 PM   #33
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
Well, someone told me about the supposed differently colored power rings back when this series was hitting news stands, so take it with a grain of salt.
So, I downloaded the issue .... and it looks like your "someone" was right! There are differently colored GL rings in the book. The Silver Age is about gathering three items of power to make a super-weapon ... one of which is the Power Battery and another is a fragment of the Jeweled Mountains of Krypton. They use the jewel to overcome the battery's yellow weakness and split it's light into differently colored GL rings. They look exactly like green rings (the circle kind) only differently colored. Gotta make 'em! To think .... I thought my collection was complete.

Incidentally, the issue contains other GL-related oddities such as Agamemo merging with the battery itself and the GLs defeating him using all of their collective power ... as well as Catwoman kicking a Guardian square int he face!

Edit:
By the way, the featured colord are red / orange (it's tough to tell what they were going for, these colors look somewhat similar int he comic), yellow, green, blue, and a deep purple. All have a circular-style GL symbol save for one panel which has the block-type (a red ring) ... although this might be an aberration. As states the oranges and reds kinda look similar ... and even switch with yellow sometimes. Although Catwoman consistantly has a purple ring.

Last edited by Gauntlet101010; 08-28-2008 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:19 AM   #34
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

*bUmP*

More rings from me! Even though there's 8 of them, they're really only from two sources.

The first set are "Advanced Power Rings" (which, ironically, are kinda like the current Power Rings in their advancement). They're not really drawn consistantly and ... they didn't really exist. But they're neat enough and official enough for me to wanna make 'em! These rings were supposed to be more powerful than the Silver Age rings and also able to effect yellow ... however they made their bearers into what they feared most.

The next four are from the Silver Age miniseries mentioned earlier in this thread. Yeah .... the red one was the only colored ring that was boxy-shaped; the rest were circular. They were made by using jeweled kryptonite to filter out the yellow impurity ... and to refract the green energy into different colors (the villains also made yellow and green rings, but I already made those). Supposedly, these would still have to be charged every 24 hours ... which would make the yellow ring in the miniseries different than Sinestro's ring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 012.jpg (93.7 KB, 74 views)
Old 10-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #35
Sharp-O

The only ring I got was from the old GL figures (I bought Tomar-Re) and that can only fit on my little finger

Lime's Sinestro Corps rings are of an amazing quality! I'd love to see him do a Blue Lantern ring

Last edited by Sharp-O; 10-11-2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:42 AM   #36
IronLantern

THAT is the single coolest GL ring I have ever seen. Amazing collection.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:30 AM   #37
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined

Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern

I remember Jack showing that one off a few years ago on the DCMB.

Back when I was still experimenting with brass ones,
Old 10-24-2008, 11:47 PM   #38
IronLantern

Man I wish I could find some of these custom rings.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:20 AM   #39
Sinestro's Parallax

This is my favorite ring so far. Finally found a light up one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3969.jpg (54.5 KB, 417 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3994.jpg (54.7 KB, 412 views)
Old 10-31-2008, 04:48 AM   #40
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Nice rings! Botht he light and and the yellow one.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:12 AM   #41
Limelantern

Looks like one of ShaneM's rings. How tall is it from your finger?
Old 10-31-2008, 05:40 AM   #42
Jack T. Chance

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronLantern View Post

THAT is the single coolest GL ring I have ever seen. Amazing collection.
Thanks! I went through a number of years as a GL fan with NO power rings. But then, all of a sudden, in the 1990s, DC FINALLY realized there was a demand for replicas of the most powerful weapon in the universe, and then fans with the right set of skills started making their own, highly desirable replicas, for sale to other fans via eBay or GL-related websites, and before I knew it, I was well on my way to the collection I have today!
Quote:
I remember Jack showing that one off a few years ago on the DCMB.
Yeah, I've definitely shown it off over there a couple times over the years.

Refresh my Swiss cheese memory, will ya? What screen name do you use over on the DC boards?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronLantern View Post
Man I wish I could find some of these custom rings.
I'm afraid it's all a matter of good luck and even better timing... which comes back to good luck, a lot of the time. My 14K gold Sinestro ring, for instance, was made by a jeweler who was VERY active on eBay in the first half of this decade, but then, at some point in 2004, he stopped selling his fantastic rings... I don't know the official reason, but I can make an educated guess. For a year or 2 before that, he had been contacting DC Comics, trying to get them to let him produce his DC Comics rings under a license from them. My guess would be that they said no, AND issued him a Cease & Desist order as well. But again, that's just an educated guess, I could be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestro's Parallax View Post
This is my favorite ring so far. Finally found a light up one.
FANTASTIC! Very few people have attempted a light-up ring of the Version 2/Kyle Rayner ring design!

Just out of curiosity, 2 questions:
  1. What size is it?
  2. WHERE did you find it?
If the maker's still offering them and if they're the right size, I might contact him (or her) about procuring one for myself.
Quote:
Looks like one of ShaneM's rings. How tall is it from your finger?
Is ShaneM one of the guys over at League of Heroes (I hope I'm remembering that forum's name correctly)?

If so, I definitely need to visit that forum more often!

Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 10-31-2008 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:55 AM   #43
Limelantern

Quote:
Is ShaneM one of the guys over at League of Heroes (I hope I'm remembering that forum's name correctly)?
Yes he is, and he can be found on League of Lanterns too

http://leagueoflanterns.yuku.com/topic/419

He made the bubbly clear rings sold on ebay a couple weeks ago too. I have been watching his progress on those boards in the last few months.

Quote:
Refresh my Swiss cheese memory, will ya? What screen name do you use over on the DC boards?
Back in 01' it was Qwardian, then a year or two later I made another account as Limelantern. I have used it on GL boards ever since.

And if your gold ring has lines running down the sides (or ribbed in any way), then there are silver versions that appear every now and then on ebay. They typically sell in the $80-90 range. I was not sure if it was the same but the symbol on the face is identical.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:07 AM   #44
Jack T. Chance

Exclamation

Quote:

He made the bubbly clear rings sold on ebay a couple weeks ago too. I have been watching his progress on those boards in the last few months.

Back in 01' it was Qwardian, then a year or two later I made another account as Limelantern. I have used it on GL boards ever since.

And if your gold ring has lines running down the sides (or ribbed in any way), then there are silver versions that appear every now and then on ebay. They typically sell in the $80-90 range. I was not sure if it was the same but the symbol on the face is identical.
Yes, it has those lines/ridges. You can see them a little bit in this photo of my 14K gold Sinestro Power Ring Version 1 next to DC Direct's Sinestro Power Ring Version 2:

The seller's name was gcdesigns, if I remember correctly. But, like I said, he hasn't sold his rings in something like 4 years, which really sucks. At my suggestion, he was working on designing and making the Legion of Superheroes Flight Ring, which would have been made out of real gold (most likely 14K) with an onyx stone/inlay. But as far as I know, he never completed it, so I've never been able to get that highly desirable ring.

On another note, go over there and give ShaneM some pointers on how to get rid of the bubbles! That crazy frakker is trying to make a light-up Sinestro Corps ring, and I want one... just not one that's full of bubbles!

Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 10-31-2008 at 06:16 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:27 AM   #45
Limelantern

That's the one, i have seen a few silver ones sell on ebay over the last two years. But not from that seller.
I would love to have a gold ring with the current Sin corps symbol on it.

something along the lines of

mentioned in this thread
http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...ight=gold+ring

And as far as the bubbles go, I assumed he is pouring way too quickly with very cold resin. As well as mixing the resin and hardner to fast. Or his mix is incompatable with his mold material.

And I have actually seem more fan created Legion rings out there than GL ones. It has actually been frustrating for me since I never really cared for Legion at all but was looking for a GL ring for a few years.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:41 AM   #46
Jack T. Chance

Exclamation

Quote:
That's the one, i have seen a few silver ones sell on ebay over the last two years. But not from that seller.
My guess is that they're people that bought his rings, and then decided to sell them. Again, he hasn't made or sold any since 2004.
Quote:
I would love to have a gold ring with the current Sin corps symbol on it.

something along the lines of

mentioned in this thread
http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...ight=gold+ring
You and I both! And if gcdesigns was still making GL rings, I would have commissioned him to make me one as soon as the Version 3 (Sinestro Corps version) yellow power ring design was shown in the comic!
Quote:
And as far as the bubbles go, I assumed he is pouring way too quickly with very cold resin. As well as mixing the resin and hardner to fast. Or his mix is incompatable with his mold material.
Have you let him know that? 'Cause his light-up rings would look even better without the bubbles, and then I'd be down for 2... one Sinestro Corps ring, and one GL Corps ring Version 2 (now more commonly called Kyle Rayner's ring).
Quote:
And I have actually seem more fan created Legion rings out there than GL ones. It has actually been frustrating for me since I never really cared for Legion at all but was looking for a GL ring for a few years.

That one's pretty cool, but gcdesigns would have made it look even better.

I wish I still had a picture of his version of a Flash symbol ring, it was really something. What he did is, where the recessed areas are (the white disc behind the lightning bolt), he cut all the way through the ring, leaving big holes on either side of the lightning bolt. Then he inserted a mother of pearl disc into the back of the ring, so you saw it behind the 14K gold lightning bolt!

Now, imagine the LSH flight ring like that! 14K gold, with an onyx disc behind the symbol! It would have been AMAZING! But, sadly, he never got around to actually producing it before he called it quits on the DC Comics rings... or if he DID produce it, he never let me know that he had one ready to sell me.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:56 PM   #47
Sinestro's Parallax

Quote:

This is correct. Shane9mm at LoH did this one. The bubbles in this one are far less than the ones pictured on ebay. The scupting is pretty fantastic in this one too. Very clean edges and smooth finish. You can't even see where the plume was attached. Very good workmanship on the LED also using the "press fit" method for the battery.

This ring is approx a size 13. It fits over my white GL gloves just fine with a little room to spare. His Hal version rings he says are approx size 12.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:34 PM   #48
Jack T. Chance

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestro's Parallax View Post
This is correct. Shane9mm at LoH did this one. The bubbles in this one are far less than the ones pictured on ebay. The scupting is pretty fantastic in this one too. Very clean edges and smooth finish. You can't even see where the plume was attached. Very good workmanship on the LED also using the "press fit" method for the battery.

This ring is approx a size 13. It fits over my white GL gloves just fine with a little room to spare. His Hal version rings he says are approx size 12.
Thanks for the info!

Bummer about the size, though. I'm a "perfect" 10, so his rings are too big for me unless I were to wear a pair of gloves. I'll have to join the discussion over there and ask him about smaller sizes!
Old 11-01-2008, 04:06 AM   #49
Corin Lagos
Kilowog's Recruit

Hey folks! Shane9mm here from the League of Heroes and League of Lanterns boards. This is my first post here and I have to say that you guys amaze (and intimidate) me with your knowledge of everything Green Lantern.

My ring project started as a whim and I'm a certified rookie at the whole casting thing. While I'm pretty happy with my sculpts and always thinking about new ones, I know that the casting process I use could be improved. Any advice you guys might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Take care,

Shane
Corin Lagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:16 AM   #50
Aberration
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Welcome to the board, Shane I like the work you're doing, keep it up, and please keep us up to date!
Aberration is offline   Reply With Quote