The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0
View Poll Results: Which GL will be the dead Lantern from HiC?!
Guy 1 9.09%
Baz 7 63.64%
Other (who else could it be?) 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #26
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
They relocate a lot of homeless people in your town?
What happens is that residents and merchants complain about them, so the police just move them to another neighborhood. Then the residents and merchants who complained about them consider the problem solved.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:17 AM   #27
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
They relocate a lot of homeless people in your town?
Lol I was thinking of that South Park episode where they solved their homeless problem.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:19 AM   #28
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
What happens is that residents and merchants complain about them, so the police just move them to another neighborhood. Then the residents and merchants who complained about them consider the problem solved.
Im pretty sure my town has become the recipient of that. We have a pantload of homeless people and tax burdens that didnt grow up here. Most are imported.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:20 AM   #29
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Thats how I feel about hijacking characters by replacing the alter egos with other established characters: not in my backyard.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:50 AM   #30
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ωmega Man View Post

Guy, Kyle, and John all deserve better. And when DC constantly throws talent and promotional space away on new Catwoman, Batgirl, Robin [ANY Bat-sidekick really...], and those New52 Earth 2 books.... it's almost insulting.

If DC really wanted to push a cosmic title like JL:O they should've made a GL like John the leader rather than Cyborg.

I read JL: Odyssey first two issues and it's off to a solid start. I really wish Kyle was in this title and Jessica in Titans. I hope that switch comes about eventually, if those titles last long enough.

Although I must say that this variant cover that I picked up is SWEET.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:26 AM   #31
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

*cringe* I don't want John Stewart near ANYTHING with the word Odyssey in the title.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:37 AM   #32
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
*cringe* I don't want John Stewart near ANYTHING with the word Odyssey in the title.
I don't want Kyle in this B-team Titans schlock title, but I guess we all have to suffer some times. At least he's not pushing up daisies.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:45 AM   #33
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
I don't want Kyle in this B-team Titans schlock title, but I guess we all have to suffer some times. At least he's not pushing up daisies.
I can't argue that. All of the spinoff Lanterns are going to be slumming it in oddball titles for a while. Nothing productive, but better than being killed off in a sh#tty event as cannon fodder.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #34
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Odyssey is just one more Justice League B title that will get canceled. Meanwhile, Titans is a successful comic that will never get canceled.

If you're a Cruz fan, then of course you want her in Titans and Kyle in Odyssey. But that ain't gonna happen.

Cruz and Baz need to stop being Green Lanterns. That's all there is to it. They're just two more blunders by Johns, who should have NO more say-so over Green Lantern. Otherwise the writers will continue struggling to clean up his mess forever, which is a no-win situation for everyone.

DC thought Johns was so good that he could run the movies, the television shows and the comics, besides creating new "diverse" Lanterns that would sell. But they finally figured out that he wasn't.

Have any of you ever heard of the Peter Principle? If you haven't, then Google it. You'll see a spot-on description of Johns.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 11-19-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #35
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Johns' time being associated with DC will end sooner or later. When that happens his pet creations will wither and die on the vine.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #36
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Johns' time being associated with DC will end sooner or later. When that happens his pet creations will wither and die on the vine.
I don't know about that. I don't think Marvel is dying to lure him away any more. At least not to the extent that they'd offer him more money than he's making now.

Hindsight is always 20/20 of course, but Johns is a guy who DC should should have paid to write comics only -- with the stern stipulation of, "And don't change anything about it, Geoff. Just write the motherfucker the way it is now."

Then he'd have been fine.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #37
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Odyssey is just one more Justice League B title that will get canceled. Meanwhile, Titans is a successful comic that will never get canceled.

If you're a Cruz fan, then of course you want her in Titans and Kyle in Odyssey. But that ain't gonna happen...
Agreed. Odyssey (which I am reading) is much more of a B title than Titans. It has "limited" written all over it. No way this book is still here in three years. I'm not even sure that they're saying it's supposed to.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #38
BLACK HAND
Green Lantern Initiate

Quote:
Hindsight is always 20/20 of course, but Johns is a guy who DC should should have paid to write comics only -- with the stern stipulation of, "And don't change anything about it, Geoff. Just write the motherfucker the way it is now."

Then he'd have been fine.
Agreed I always liked his take on old characters and his ability to deep dive into their past and tease out new and interesting ideas or angles but when he starts heavily rewriting history is when things go sideways.
BLACK HAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #39
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK HAND View Post
Agreed I always liked his take on old characters and his ability to deep dive into their past and tease out new and interesting ideas or angles but when he starts heavily rewriting history is when things go sideways.
I would agree with that. He's great at making me feel something for these characters that I love and a solid storyteller. His tinkering with history is infuriating.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:40 PM   #40
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

They should have told him, "Just worry about your own stories. Don't try to prove that you could have done everything better than every previous writer has."
Old 11-20-2018, 12:18 AM   #41
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
While I agree about the B team aspect of JL:O and its eventual cancellation, I cant say that I agree about Titans. Like any other title that's been around for years there've been ups and downs. The New52 didn't have an adult Titans title, and the New52 Teen Titans sucked before AND after getting relaunched. If you include all of those B-team Titans relaunches like Team Titans, the de-aged Atom's Teen Titans, the New Titans, etc. there have been PLENTY of unsuccessful eras.

If we're specifically talking about the adult Titans, the first two volumes were only 50 issues [vol. 1, 1999-2003] and 38 issues [vol. 2, 2008-2011]. Back then characters like Superboy [the clone] and Azrael both had solo series that lasted right around 100 issues each consecutively. Even Impulse's title ran for 90 consecutive issues.

This third volume is approaching 30 issues, but the recent team shake-up didn't do the title any big favors coming out of No Justice. Even with the addition of Rayner, the team is missing something that it needs to stand out and on it's own.

And in all seriousness, how many people are actually fans of John Henry Irons' niece? I'd rather have Black Lightning's daughter Lightning since they can't use Static. Using the niece of Steel seems like they're just rotating in another ethnic character with tech based powers to replace Cyborg when in all reality they just need to fix his history.

Quote:
DC thought Johns was so good that he could run the movies, the television shows and the comics, besides creating new "diverse" Lanterns that would sell. But they finally figured out that he wasn't.
He's writing Doomsday Clock, the Shazam! relaunch in time for the new movie, as well as his Three Jokers story in it's own mini series. He's also credited for writing for the Flash tv series, the live action Titans is written/produced by him, as well as the eventual Stargirl series. He'll likely write episodes for Doom Patrol as well and he's an executive producer on that too. Aaaaand he's a writer/producer on Aquaman and Wonder Woman '84. What did they figure out again?

EDIT: Baz is surely the dead GL in HiC at this point.

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 11-20-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:57 AM   #42
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern

Sometimes editors keeping a rein on creators is a good thing. For example, a long time ago, DC had a mandate that Superman's face, hair, and all that had to look a certain way. I always thought Superman in the 60s, 70s, and 80s looked on point. It wasn't till later years that, in my opinion, I saw a lot more hit and miss representations of the character, and I'm not just talking about his change of costume. The dude's... face and hair would actually look... not as good for that character, and instead of looking like Superman, he would look like just some dark haired buff guy wearing Superman's suit.

That was because the editors got a lot more lax with their policies on how the character needed to be portrayed and allowed the artists more creative freedom. I mean, creative freedom does sound great, right?
Well, maybe sometimes. It really depends on what the creator is coming up with.

Near unbridled creative freedom seems to be what Geoff Johns had in regards to Green Lantern, and I think the franchise suffered for it. Editors should not have allowed him to change Krona the way he did. Editors should never have allowed him to change the Anti-Monitor the way he did in Darkseid War. Editors should not have allowed him to even create that First Lantern character because (a) he was a bad idea, and (b) he fundamentally changes too much about Green Lantern and DC lore, and no one seems to go back and re-write him out of the origin of the universe or the origin of the Guardians. They should have never allowed Baz and Cruz, and several other things.

About which is the better book for a character to be in, Justice League Odyssey or Titans, I think it depends. From what I have seen, Justice League Odyssey looks like the better book creatively by a long shot. It seems like a more interesting story, from what I can tell, where as Titans is just... there, and I get the impression that Kyle Rayner is just being dumped there because no one is doing anything with him. However, I get the impression that Joshua Williamson wanted Jessica Cruz specifically because he specifically wants to do something with her. I guess one thing that gives me that impression is the story itself, and that she was there at the launch of the title, while Kyle is an out of nowhere add on for Titans. I think the better place to be is where the character will actually be used better, and my intuition tells me that there are probably better and more significant things in store for Jessica than Kyle, but who knows. I think the best thing Kyle can hope for in his situation is being in a relationship with Donna Troy for nostalgia and old times sake, but my spider sense tells me that the outcome won't be that nostalgic (because the writer is probably not nostalgic for it) and will likely not really even go anywhere interesting... IF it even happens.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 11-20-2018 at 04:08 AM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:03 AM   #43
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Odyssey is just one more Justice League B title that will get canceled. Meanwhile, Titans is a successful comic that will never get canceled..
Titans sold 34,857 copies last month. That's hardly what I'd call a sales juggernaut. JL: O sold over 46,000 copies last month in comparison. Kyle is grouped with the likes of Beast Boy, Miss Martian, and Natasha Irons. Kyle might even have more of a C-team than a B-team to babysit.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:08 PM   #44
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
Titans sold 34,857 copies last month. That's hardly what I'd call a sales juggernaut. JL: O sold over 46,000 copies last month in comparison. Kyle is grouped with the likes of Beast Boy, Miss Martian, and Natasha Irons. Kyle might even have more of a C-team than a B-team to babysit.
Every time DC has published a Justice League B title, it's flopped. Meanwhile, Titans has never flopped.

You're putting your money on the wrong horse there.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:29 AM   #45
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Every time DC has published a Justice League B title, it's flopped. Meanwhile, Titans has never flopped.

You're putting your money on the wrong horse there.
DC always has and always will publish offshoot JL titles since that name has the most name recognition of any DC team. If Odyssey ends, they'll still form small pockets of characters and start another title. They do the same thing will Titans, which is also an offshoot book from TT. Neither one of these are guaranteed to keep going for years on end, but the cold, hard facts say that at mere 34,800 copies, Titans isn't exactly setting the world on fire. I'm also curious as to why you think that Beast Boy, Raven, and Steel are on a much higher level than Cyborg, Starfire, and Azrael?

On a personal note, while I admit that it's impossible to compare two titles where one is 2 issues and the other is 30+, this current Titans title is subpar. Maybe Odyssey will go down the drain too, but they have a decent start. Titans has yet to find its narrative footing, and I doubt that Kyle or any other single character is going to swoop in and save it. I just hope he finds a more suitable home when the zeppelin eventually catches fire.

Last edited by Big Blue Lantern; 11-21-2018 at 04:59 AM.
Big Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:59 AM   #46
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

At least Odyssey has that good, good Sejic artwork.
Michael Heide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:16 AM   #47
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

If Baz dies in CrisisUmpteen.0, I might even buy the particular issue. To read for my own amusement while on the toilet pinching a loaf.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:06 PM   #48
BLACK HAND
Green Lantern Initiate

...then wipe your ass with it . Yeah I really hope they kill him, I also believe that 3 Earth based GL's might be the magic number, but even that's stretching it. I'm not a huge fan of the "Earth is the center of the White Light" or whatever nonsense they use to justify having a GL of every race, creed, and color. 3 seems to be the magic number I think without pushing credibility too much, but honestly I would settle for just Hal, that's it.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:43 PM   #49
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK HAND View Post
...then wipe your ass with it . Yeah I really hope they kill him, I also believe that 3 Earth based GL's might be the magic number, but even that's stretching it. I'm not a huge fan of the "Earth is the center of the White Light" or whatever nonsense they use to justify having a GL of every race, creed, and color. 3 seems to be the magic number I think without pushing credibility too much, but honestly I would settle for just Hal, that's it.
If I had a magic wand, I wouldn't just make Baz, Cruz and the teen Lantern go away. I'd make Kyle disappear too. So if any Kyle fans want to keep pushing him for a Blue Lantern title or for a role in Odyssey, I'd say yes -- on the condition that if it flops, he'd go away forever.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #50
BLACK HAND
Green Lantern Initiate

I'd certainly be down for that.