Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 11-19-2018, 11:10 PM   #51
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
...You know what books read like a movie pitches to me? Both Jurassic Park novels (if he wrote more than two, I never read the latter ones). I enjoyed the first one, at least, but it still read like a movie pitch. The second was so obvious about it that it took me out of the action.
Well, Chrichton did write the second novel in response to the success of the movie. That's why he brought Dr. Malcolm back even though he killed him in the first. But I thought the first was a decent novel (used to be a big fan of Chrichton, actually). If I recall (it's been years), there's some pretty non-filmlike moments in the novel like the aviary and in general there are fewer likable characters.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #52
BLACK HAND
Green Lantern Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Awww...I really liked Ready Player One.

I didn't think it read like a movie pitch (in fact, I thought it read like something that would be kind of hard to film with any serious fidelity...and it turns out I was right, though I also enjoyed the film).
The reason I mentioned that book specifically is because it was optioned for a movie before the book was even published. I would also agree on Jurassic Park although I did enjoy the novel, I thought it was much darker than the movie.
BLACK HAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:02 PM   #53
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK HAND View Post
...I would also agree on Jurassic Park although I did enjoy the novel, I thought it was much darker than the movie.
Yeah, JP the book was closer to horror in tone than just sci-fi adventure.

Back to the topic, I would guess that this gn felt cinematic because of it's layout and general flow. There were a lot of panels (even pages, iirc) with no dialogue and ones used to show a close-up reaction. You could really sense the motion, like you would see in a movie as opposed to your average weekly comic where you have to assume a character jumped across the room or something. It was almost like you were looking at (really detailed) storyboards for scenes.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:58 PM   #54
BLACK HAND
Green Lantern Initiate

Yes I definitely got a storyboard flow feel, I even kind of had a theme song going on in my head when they were traveling, like it was overlaying cut scenes showing the passage of time, a real 80's montage break haha. I really can't wait to see what they do with the sequel, now that Hal is back to Earth.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:13 PM   #55
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

When I told some folks once that I would write a comic like a storyboard, they told me I was full of shit.

Heh, heh.

I'll tell you where I got the idea. It was from Donald Duck Finds Pirate Gold, which actually started out as a storyboard. It's well worth ordering.

https://www.amazon.com/Disneys-Donal.../dp/0944599206

Last edited by Trey Strain; 11-20-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:10 PM   #56
BLACK HAND
Green Lantern Initiate

This may not be the case every time, but I feel like the more thought and descriptions writers put into every panel, the better the comic turns out. If you can integrate the level of research and references that say Alan Moore does for every panel and get it to flow like a storyboard where people can surmise the general flow of action and atmosphere without dialogue, you've got something very special.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:45 PM   #57
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK HAND View Post
This may not be the case every time, but I feel like the more thought and descriptions writers put into every panel, the better the comic turns out. If you can integrate the level of research and references that say Alan Moore does for every panel and get it to flow like a storyboard where people can surmise the general flow of action and atmosphere without dialogue, you've got something very special.
A lot of thought goes into silent panels, when they're done properly. You've got to hold the reader's interest with nobody talking. But if you show somebody walking across a room, then that's silly, and you're just trying to pad out the story to TBP length -- same as showing double-truck explosions.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:41 PM   #58
BLACK HAND
Green Lantern Initiate

Good point! Yeah it's a device that can certainly be drawn out for padding purposes, but I also love the dramatic effect silent panels have when done right, like cutting the sound out of a movie during a touchstone moment.