Lettercol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lettercol

What did hardcore GL fans in 1961 say about their favorite character? Did a quick scan of the lettercol to #7.

I like the one about not introducing companions.
    Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

I wonder how many of those letter writters are still big GL fans or still alive for that matter
      My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

Crazy that 's over 40 years in the past. Yeah, I wondered what happened to these fans....

Comment

This is over fourty years old, and the comic book fans writing in sound exactly the same as they do today. It's almost comforting to know that some things *truly* never change.

I really miss letter columns. Back when I was an X-Men and Sonic reading little girl, I would always be excited to finish an issue because I had the LETTERS COLUMN!!!! to look forwards to. Hell, even now whenever I buy a batch of older comics, the first thing I do it flip to the back and read the letters. I guess the theory here in getting rid of them is that fans can now communicate opinions through the internet. :P 20 years ago when, like, Terra first betrayed the Titans or whatever, there was no way to know what comic fans outside your circle of friends thought about plot twists BESIDES reading the letter columns.

But I still miss them. D:

Thanks for posting this!

Comment

I wish letter columns would come back. There was something nice about reading feedback right in the comic itself. Plus, if you sent letters in yourself, there's always the off-chance that you'd get your name printed in your favorite comic and have a small place in your comic forever.

Very fanboy(and girl)-ish, yes. That was the point. And the best lettercols were the one where the editor had a sense of humor in the responses or would give you some cool tidbits of info.

This lettercol from the past is great. It's nice to know that readers then were just as detail-oriented and critical as we can be.

And the guy that suggested Hal should get a buzzcut or use hair gel made me laugh.

Comment

There's no good reason why there shouldn't be lettercols anymore. Even 1 page.

Comment

Originally posted by raynersraider View Post
                I wish letter columns would come back. There was something nice about reading feedback right in the comic itself. Plus, if you sent letters in yourself, there's always the off-chance that you'd get your name printed in your favorite comic and have a small place in your comic forever.

Very fanboy(and girl)-ish, yes.
                But did you ever see that letter Geoff Johns got printed in a mid-90's Superboy comic where he suggested that maybe Kon got the other half of his DNA from Lex Luthor? That kind of made me laugh forever. And gave me hope that maybe one day I too could get a job working for DC and writing my crazy fanwank theories into canon (one day I WILL write the equivalent of Rebirth for Maxwell Lord!!!!!)

Another "favorite letter" of mine is in one of my old JLI issues where some random reader suggests that Booster Gold and the Blue Beetle have a team up. Giffen's reply is all like: "I DON'T SEE THAT HAPPENING ANYTIME SOON, SRY."

Comment

Originally posted by Cephied Variable View Post
                  But did you ever see that letter Geoff Johns got printed in a mid-90's Superboy comic where he suggested that maybe Kon got the other half of his DNA from Lex Luthor? That kind of made me laugh forever. And gave me hope that maybe one day I too could get a job working for DC and writing my crazy fanwank theories into canon (one day I WILL write the equivalent of Rebirth for Maxwell Lord!!!!!)

Another "favorite letter" of mine is in one of my old JLI issues where some random reader suggests that Booster Gold and the Blue Beetle have a team up. Giffen's reply is all like: "I DON'T SEE THAT HAPPENING ANYTIME SOON, SRY."
                  Did he really? hahah

I have a letter printed in Batman #511 that, as I recall, they really butchered. Also tons of letters in the Mirage TMNT comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Cephied Variable View Post

Geoff Johns wrote that in and they published it?? That's great! See, that's why those lettercols were so great...little nuggets like that...

I never got a letter published...my friend got one in an issue of Uncanny X-Men, and it was edited slightly, but mostly intact.

Comment

Originally posted by raynersraider View Post
                      I never got a letter published...my friend got one in an issue of Uncanny X-Men, and it was edited slightly, but mostly intact.
                      I wrote more letters than I can remember to the old Archie Sonic franchise between the ages of seven and twelve. I never, EVER got a letter printed, but I once received a letter and 'Sonic & Knuckles' poster from the editor of Archie Comics for having my name appear in the 'Find Your Name in Print' page more than any other fan (it's kind of weird that they kept track of that).

Comment

I got many letters published back in the day. Even have one in Hal Jordan's Funeral Issue. No I wont tell you which one because my then lack of GL history knowledge embarrasses me.

Comment

Originally posted by Nived View Post
                          I got many letters published back in the day. Even have one in Hal Jordan's Funeral Issue. No I wont tell you which one because my then lack of GL history knowledge embarrasses me.
                          I admit I immediately went to read that letter section upon reading that. XDD

Comment

I was young I had yet to read the original Hard Traveling Heroes... I didn't know about the cover referance.

I DIDN'T KNOW!

Ah well we live, we learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Nived View Post
                              I was young I had yet to read the original Hard Traveling Heroes... I didn't know about the cover referance.

I DIDN'T KNOW!

Ah well we live, we learn.
                              SEE, NOW THAT YOU'VE SAID THAT, I KNOW WHO YOU ARE! :O :O :O

it's okay, a year and a half ago I wouldn't have known wtf the cover reference was either (I'M A QUICK STUDY NOOB OR SOMETHING. OH YEAH).

(hey at least you weren't the guy who inferred that Kyle and Connor's friendship was better and cooler than Ollie and Hal's!)

Comment

Working...
                              X