Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you feel about the new Alan Scott being gay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tarmode View Post
    Next thing you know, they will be trying to make Hal Jordan gay, and we'll see some beatdowns if that happens?
    Don't give them any ideas.

Comment

i havent read gl in a good two years and i rarely read any alan scott books but ill say this. i dont mind the idea of a charachter going gay or there race being changed because i think what the comic industry is trying to do is keep up with what is going on in the world today homosexuality being a huge one. and this is just a suggestion to the old school fanbase if you dont like the current stuff you always have the older stuff you can re read.
      .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

My only problem with people saying that this was just a publicity stunt (which I'm sure part of it was) is that people practically always say it was a publicity stunt of for shock value damn near anytime someone gay is used or introduced. They creator the new character Bunker for TT and people said that was just a publicity stunt too. They made Sara Lance have a lesbian relationship and people said it was just for shock value. I feel like we can't win either way. Maybe if we didn't make such a big deal everytime they add or make something gay or black it wouldn't be an issue. I swear it's like a damn parade is thrown anytime someone that isn't a straight white character gets added to something or created. But my experience has shown me that no matter how natural to the story or character it may seem people will always say it's just for shock or publicity.
        I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I too think it's a dumb idea to take an established character and drastically change them for no other reason than just because but again as I said before creating or adding anything gay seems to automatically make it for shock value and no other reason as far as fans are concerned.
          Lantern A-train
          Guardian of the Universe
          Last edited by Lantern A-train; 02-12-2015, 07:41 PM.
          I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lantern A-train View Post
            My only problem with people saying that this was just a publicity stunt (which I'm sure part of it was) is that people practically always say it was a publicity stunt of for shock value damn near anytime someone gay is used or introduced. They creator the new character Bunker for TT and people said that was just a publicity stunt too. They made Sara Lance have a lesbian relationship and people said it was just for shock value. I feel like we can't win either way. Maybe if we didn't make such a big deal everytime they add or make something gay or black it wouldn't be an issue. I swear it's like a damn parade is thrown anytime someone that isn't a straight white character gets added to something or created. But my experience has shown me that no matter how natural to the story or character it may seem people will always say it's just for shock or publicity.
            Well, yeah. That's not going to stop until such things don't shock a bunch of (I originally said "most", but I think we may have already passed that bar) people AND stop being milked for as much publicity as they can get. Until then, people will keep saying that those are the reason (and they will be at least partly right).

Comment

believe it or not i disagree on the sara lance part because at least with that people got a legitament story and wasnt just 2 hot chicks kissing to get us straight men horny .

as a straight male did i find it hot? uh yea but as a fan i really want to see how sara and nyssaa met and how they became something more. i really felt that whole little arch was well done

Comment

Originally posted by TazzMission View Post
                i havent read gl in a good two years and i rarely read any alan scott books but ill say this. i dont mind the idea of a charachter going gay or there race being changed because i think what the comic industry is trying to do is keep up with what is going on in the world today homosexuality being a huge one. and this is just a suggestion to the old school fanbase if you dont like the current stuff you always have the older stuff you can re read.
                Well thank god you aren't an editor!

Comment

I can't speak for "those other fans" but I don't like just making a person gay. It was a publicity stunt,you can tell because it got alot of publicity. I cool with a gay Green Lantern. as long as it is not the focus of the book. One pannel where he kisses his boyfrien dose not sweat me. Now if he starts wearing hot pant's and throws villians in science for fassion crimes,then there may be a problem.

Look at Baz. No one hate Baz because he is Aribic,people hate him because he sucks. Are there no more biggets in the world? Of course there are,there always will be. but the acceptance of today as opposed to back in the day is amazing. It's come pretty far.
                  Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Davos View Post
                    Well thank god you aren't an editor!
                    shit man i think you would like my take on gl. i got ideas cooking where some fans wil love it and others will out right hate it

Comment

Oh I know some disagree I am just pointing out that I saw tons of comments saying. The world just needs to move beyond treating coming out or adding gay things to something like it's a fucking Xbox Achievement. People also need to stop acting like sexuality drastically changes a character's personality or will make people be more interested in them. Granted I was partly guilty of that myself because while I was already interested in Alan Scott I will admit that became just slightly more interested in reading about him once that was announced but I can assure you that if I didn't like anything else I read him, him being gay wouldn't be enough to keep me aruond. I think Superman is a d-bag for the most part if they made him gay tomorrow and changed nothing else about him I'd still think he was a d-bag.

It's reason like that makes me roll my eyes and get ready for the whirlwind of foolishness from all directions anytime they announce a gay anything.

Comment

I think the publicity stunt thing hurts the characters longterm because nobody takes them seriously after the confetti is done falling. One that worked? Pied Piper in Flash. He just kind of quietly came out in the book like it was no big deal and readers slapped their foreheads thinking, "how did I not see that coming?". It made sense so everybody accepted it.

Now they make their phone calls to CNN and USA Today to get a pat on the back for it before they do it. It never feels like I'm supposed to take the characters seriously after the publisher goes out of their way to look like a hero for doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post

Look at Baz. No one hate Baz because he is Aribic,people hate him because he sucks. Are there no more biggets in the world? Of course there are,there always will be. but the acceptance of today as opposed to back in the day is amazing. It's come pretty far.
                          the issue i had with baz was is hey its an arab guy in a van with a bomb with a 911 theme to it . i know the irony of me mentioning this is ok what a hyporcrite but whatever but you would think the writers would try to find some possitive way to introduce him.

same with john. i feel the only reason why he is around currently is just to have him to please the black audience of readers. the writers can do something with him where he can be more interesting for the anti john crowd

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Davos View Post
                            I think the publicity stunt thing hurts the characters longterm because nobody takes them seriously after the confetti is done falling. One that worked? Pied Piper in Flash. He just kind of quietly came out in the book like it was no big deal and readers slapped their foreheads thinking, "how did I not see that coming?". It made sense so everybody accepted it.

Now they make their phone calls to CNN and USA Today to get a pat on the back for it before they do it. It never feels like I'm supposed to take the characters seriously after the publisher goes out of their way to look like a hero for doing it.
                            I know what you mean and I feel like that too sometimes. Everyone has to alert the fucking media for anything that is not straight or white like it's some amazing thing they are doing and not things that should have been in comics ages ago without a bloody fanfare. I don't need a press release proclaiming who is gonna be the next gay or next black in JL or Avengers or TT or any other book. Just write it in the story make it organic and shut the fuck up about it.

Comment

I agree. To be honest I kinda thought it was going to come out that Kyle was bi sexual. He always seemed verry open minded to me. Wich is great for somone who spend time is space and meets people with alien cultures and views. It gives him a level of sesitivty.
                              Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

I don't need a press release proclaiming who is gonna be the next gay or next black in JL or Avengers or TT or any other book. Just write it in the story make it organic and shut the fuck up about it.
                                EXACTLY.

Comment

Working...
                                X