Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Kyle and Guy still BFF? And, was John Kyle's only GL mentor now that Alan...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Kyle and Guy still BFF? And, was John Kyle's only GL mentor now that Alan...

Also, does Batman and Ganthet counts as Kyle's mentors?

Who knows. The DCnU is a mess, and we'll never get solid answers to 99% of our questions.
    The last fan of 1990s comics
    Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

I'd rather not get the answers to some of the questions posed after the "reboot." I don't think I'd like them.

Comment

Yeah, sometimes you're better off letting things go than to attempt to feebly fill in the gaps. You always wish it hadn't been done in the end. Especially when the reset button has been hit, which was half heartedly done here.

Here's an example: When DC did CoIE in 85/86, one of the areas most impacted was the Earth 2 line of characters, All-Star Squadron, JSA, Infnity Inc, etc. These all were under Roy Thomas' watch. He lost Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Green Arrow, Robin Speedy, and their camps. Thomas felt that if Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman WEREN'T in the JSA, then somebody must have been for those adventures. Superbat were easy because they only showed up twice, one cameo and one full adventure. But Wonder Woman was a problem because she had been in so many adventures. So Thomas went through this phase where he was trying to jam in first a Fury that he created to be the mother of the Infinity Inc's Fury, then he changed that to Miss America, using BOTH of them as part of the JSA's past.

Then later on John Byrne retconned THAT to make it Wonder Woman's mother who time travelled to the past to become a WW for the team in the 40s. The Fury/Miss America crap was never mentioned again.

My point? (if there was one) was that ALL of that could have been avoided if Thomas had just had the team go on as if there had never been a Supes, Bats, or WW. Not bother with a Fury that never existed anyway or Miss America that had no business being there. And really, Byrne's WW was a waste of time too. Trying to fill the gaps with some mentor for Kyle will create two problems: 1, it won't feel right to Kyle fans like the JSA changes didn't to real JSA fans, and 2, those changes will be ignored or retconned away by later writers anyway.

Comment

I seem to recall Ganthet being stated as being close to Kyle.

As for Bats, I don't think Kyle's even been on the JLA anymore. Or John or Guy for that matter; they haven't actually changed members ever in this continuity, have they? I don't read Justice League, but I remember that being mentioned so I'd say no. So I'd say no.

Although I wouldn't have classified Bats as a mentor for Kyle even before the retcon. That honor fell to Alan and John.
          Gauntlet101010
          Alpha-Lantern
          Last edited by Gauntlet101010; 06-05-2012, 01:15 AM.

Comment

This topic's purpose seems to be a little random.

Comment

I find it ironic that the reboot that was designed to streamline DCU history only ended up buttfucking it harder than leather bound gimp in an S & M dungeon.

Comment

It could have been streamline it if they actually rebooted EVERYTHING and not pick and choose what they wanted to keep and ignore.
                I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

Geoff Johns was willing to have everything rebooted, except his OWN work. It's okay to erase all the work other writers were doing at the time but not his.

The world NEEDS the skittles brigade.

Comment

Even Geoff Johns cannot stand against the iron will of logic.
                    The last fan of 1990s comics
                    Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Well... in any case, I'm pretty sure this still canon:

Comment

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
                        Even Geoff Johns cannot stand against the iron will of logic.
                        Geoff Johns doesn't know what logic means.

Comment

Johns did reboot his own work. The JSA and Black Adam in particular.

GL works if you think of it like Wikipedia. Mainly "on paper" without really thinking over the details too much.

Comment

Considering what DC is doing to Alan maybe it is better he did not mentor Kyle. With Johns having pull and not liking Kyle.

Comment

Are you implying that Johns would retcon Kyle into being gay? Alex DeWitt is now Alexander? It would certainly put a strange spin on "Women in Refrigerators."

I'm sure that would make A-Train happy.

EDIT: AND TERRY! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
                              [center]

Originally posted by W.West
                              DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X