No announcement yet.

SDCC 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SDCC addressed the "professionals after open registration" issue. Stating if your credentials are not due (you have to renew every 3 years), than you are garunteed a badge after open reg. Thats cool. But still no promises for your guest pass

Good luck to everyone tomorrow. Hope to see many of you again at the Tilted Kilt

Comment

Cheryl Ferris and I aren't going this year. Since it is earlier than usual it would cut off my last week of summer school. Since I use my summer school checks to fund our SDCC time it didn't work for us this year. We're disappointed we won't be meeting up with you guys. Have fun. Since I won't be eligible for presale next year I may need some help from fellow lanterns in getting tickets...
      A teacher affects eternity; He can never tell where his influence stops.

-Henry Adams

Comment

Yeah, I wasn't crazy about SDCC changing the week, thus making it earlier in the month.

A friend of mine on the East Coast got 4 days with Preview Night. I logged in to assist where I could, but I was basically shut out. I didn't get into the registration room until only Thursday and Sunday were available. Nothing like looking at that spinning blue circle for an hour while reading those goofy messages. "Inventory is running low, Preview Night is sold out, but you can still enjoy 4 wonderful days of SDCC." Yeah.

Funny thing was, there was some kind of glitch in the system, and people weren't allowed to log in and get their registration codes prior to the badge sale, so CCI had to mail them all out at the last minute. I believe it was 30 minutes before the actual sale took place. Man, people were furious on the Facebook SDCC page.

Comment

Originally posted by nevermore View Post
          Cheryl Ferris and I aren't going this year. Since it is earlier than usual it would cut off my last week of summer school. Since I use my summer school checks to fund our SDCC time it didn't work for us this year. We're disappointed we won't be meeting up with you guys. Have fun. Since I won't be eligible for presale next year I may need some help from fellow lanterns in getting tickets...
          Bummer. Sorry to hear that guys.

Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
          Yeah, I wasn't crazy about SDCC changing the week, thus making it earlier in the month.

A friend of mine on the East Coast got 4 days with Preview Night. I logged in to assist where I could, but I was basically shut out. I didn't get into the registration room until only Thursday and Sunday were available. Nothing like looking at that spinning blue circle for an hour while reading those goofy messages. "Inventory is running low, Preview Night is sold out, but you can still enjoy 4 wonderful days of SDCC." Yeah.

Funny thing was, there was some kind of glitch in the system, and people weren't allowed to log in and get their registration codes prior to the badge sale, so CCI had to mail them all out at the last minute. I believe it was 30 minutes before the actual sale took place. Man, people were furious on the Facebook SDCC page.
          Yeah, I reading on Facebook about the problems with registration. There are always gamut of reactions on Facebook from the elated euphoria of getting a four day pass with preview night within like 5 minutes of the open of registration to the angry and frustrated that didn't even get an opportunity to buy a pass for any day.

What always bug me are the people that say they have a guarantee system for getting four day badges and what not. Which I think is BS.
          You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
            What always bug me are the people that say they have a guarantee system for getting four day badges and what not. Which I think is BS.
            Those are merely people with the luck of the Irish on their side. The only thing you can do is have a group, and keep in constant communication, having everyone's user ID handy. Nothing is guaranteed as I've read about people with groups of 8 all getting shut out. If you go onto the FB page now, people are still furious.

Comment

I was just reading some of the comments on Facebook. Many people want the event to move out of San Diego and either go to Las Vegas or Los Angeles as they supposedly have bigger venues to host the event. I don't know if that's true or if allowing more people to attend the show will be the solution. I mean, it feels over crowded as is and adding more attendees would just make the event less enjoyable as there would be longer lines and more pushing and shoving on the con floor.

There are numerous suggestions on Facebook on how to improve the registration process and to make it more fair. The typical suggestion over the years has been that only "true" comic book fans should be able to attend. I would be interested on how someone would be able to determine a "true" comic book fan as I probably would fail the test as I didn't read a lot of DC comics growing up and pretty much only read X-Men and Spider-Man comics.
              You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

Why make it for only TRUE comics fans when these conventions are becoming less and less TRUE comic conventions. They should just change it to SDPCC: San Diego Pop Culture Con (with special guests, Comic Books).
                I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

One solution could be to open up Petco Park and use that for all of the major market movie production panels and charge a separate "Petco" fee for that badge. Some people attend SDCC strictly to rub elbows and breathe the same air as the celebs; I know a few people on this board stay in Hall H the entire day, so that would alleviate a great deal of the crowding that goes on at the convention and open up more badges for those that want to attend for comics and cosplay. With the available space, they could turn Hall H into the everything comics section with its artists, writers and creators, and keep the main convention floor for all the other stuff: video games, toys, tv studios, anime, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Lantern A-train View Post
                    Why make it for only TRUE comics fans when these conventions are becoming less and less TRUE comic conventions. They should just change it to SDPCC: San Diego Pop Culture Con (with special guests, Comic Books).
                    True dat. Most of the foot traffic on the con floor is by the movie and TV booths. There hardly any people over at the other end of the floor where all the comic books are.

One solution could be to open up Petco Park and use that for all of the major market movie production panels and charge a separate "Petco" fee for that badge. Some people attend SDCC strictly to rub elbows and breathe the same air as the celebs; I know a few people on this board stay in Hall H the entire day, so that would alleviate a great deal of the crowding that goes on at the convention and open up more badges for those that want to attend for comics and cosplay. With the available space, they could turn Hall H into the everything comics section with its artists, writers and creators, and keep the main convention floor for all the other stuff: video games, toys, tv studios, anime, etc.

Someone on Facebook suggested that they sell badges just for Hall H and a lot of people agreed with that. However, that's only 6,000 or so badges, so I don't think that will help that many more people getting badges or prevent the event from selling out. I feel everyone would still want to head into the con floor for the spectacle that it is and the curiosity. No one really wants to be on the outside looking in.

I don't have any answers that will make everyone happy. But there's a lot of people that have their own ideas to make getting a badge more fair... for them.

I remember when I was on the con floor last year, there was a person saying "This is ridiculous. This is comic convention and conventions should be designated to only to people that work in the industry."

To be honest, I like having to need only one badge to have access to any event. What's killing the event is the popularity of it.

Sylent, do you miss the days when just attending on Saturday was satisfactory?

Comment

Good luck to everyone trying to score badges tomorrow.
                      reminds me of this

+ YouTube Video
                      ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
                      .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

Ha! That scene was funny, but completely inaccurate. If you refresh, you're done.

Sylent, do you miss the days when just attending on Saturday was satisfactory?
                        I've evolved beyond one day of SDCC satisfying my tastes because there's too many things I want to accomplish. Ideally, Thursday would be for exclusive hunting and roaming the main convention floor. On Friday, I'd like to catch a small panel or two and explore the surrounding areas and maybe cosplay in the evening. Saturday would be all about cosplay as that's when the big cosplayers are out and Sunday would be reserved for searching for deals from vendors that don't want to take their stuff home.

Since there are so many things and events happening simultaneously, there's no way that one day would be enough, at least not anymore. As SDCC has grown and evolved, so have I. Even being at SDCC for 4-5 days, I still feel like I've missed something, and when I see other people's photos, I usually have. The key is to enjoy your time at the convention and accept that you can't be everywhere at once.

Comment

Originally posted by TazzMission View Post
                          reminds me of this

+ YouTube Video
                          ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

At last years BBT panel someone called them out on this not actually being how the whole process works. It was awesome.
                          One of the few awesome things about that panel, actually.

Comment

Ha! That scene was funny, but completely inaccurate. If you refresh, you're done.

I've evolved beyond one day of SDCC satisfying my tastes because there's too many things I want to accomplish. Ideally, Thursday would be for exclusive hunting and roaming the main convention floor. On Friday, I'd like to catch a small panel or two and explore the surrounding areas and maybe cosplay in the evening. Saturday would be all about cosplay as that's when the big cosplayers are out and Sunday would be reserved for searching for deals from vendors that don't want to take their stuff home.

Since there are so many things and events happening simultaneously, there's no way that one day would be enough, at least not anymore. As SDCC has grown and evolved, so have I. Even being at SDCC for 4-5 days, I still feel like I've missed something, and when I see other people's photos, I usually have. The key is to enjoy your time at the convention and accept that you can't be everywhere at once.

I hear you. Sometimes you're caught up on trying to do something that you forget or don't make time to have breakfast or lunch.

SDCC is what you make of it, so I don't get why veteran attendees complain about it. I mean, veteran attendees know what to expect and know how to avoid the crowded areas on the con floor. No one is forcing anyone to wait in line for hours to get an exclusive. People are in that line to get that exclusive because that's what most important to them.

It's because there's so much going on that I did not cosplay last year and made a general rule about attending the event and that's no hunting for exclusives after 11am, set a definite time to have lunch with my wife, don't wait in a line that going to be longer than a 2 hour wait unless there's no other place I rather be. For the last couple of years, I've always gone into SDCC thinking this will be the last time and how I want to spend that time.

Originally posted by plastroncafe View Post
                            At last years BBT panel someone called them out on this not actually being how the whole process works. It was awesome.
                            One of the few awesome things about that panel, actually.
                            That's funny. Did the panel respond to it?

I was thinking about attend the Big Bang Theory panel last year, but none of the cast members were going to be there because of the contract negotiations so I did not attend.

IIRC, that scene was accurate a few years ago.
                            Darth_Primus
                            Guardian of the Universe
                            Last edited by Darth_Primus; 02-24-2015, 06:49 PM.

Comment

That's funny. Did the panel respond to it?

I was thinking about attend the Big Bang Theory panel last year, but none of the cast members were going to be there because of the contract negotiations so I did not attend.

IIRC, that scene was accurate a few years ago.
                              Well it's not like they have to gamble for passes, but I don't think refreshing one's screen several time has ever been something the SDCC people have recommended, as it always put you at the back of the line.

It was by far the best panel of theirs I've had to sit through.
                              I'm not a fan of the show, and was camping out for something later in the day.

Craig Ferguson was the moderator, Wil Wheaton was a panelist, and Garfunkle and Oates performed the opening.

This was my favorite part of the panel:
                              + YouTube Video

Comment

[/COLOR]
                                i wouldnt know. i always wondered though is sdcc that great everyone makes it out to be or is it just over hyped? id love to go sometime but im always afraid people make it more than what it is
                                .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

Working...
                                X