The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Action Figures & Toys
FLASHCHAT

Action Figures and Toys

Old 10-18-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Default Action Figure Regret

Have any of you bought toys and figures and ended up regretting your purchase(s) later down the road?

In the 90's I went on a several year-long spending spree buying Star Wars, Star Trek, Starting Line-up, Spawn, Hot Wheels and practically anything hot and collectable. Years later, I've amassed a HUGE collection and have a storage FULL of toys that I don't have the space to display. Much of my collection is crap I don't really collect. They were toys I bought because they were hot at the time, chase or 1-per case figures and now they collect dust and have become havens for spiders in storage. Even worse, most of that stuff is worthless and can't be given away on eBay. The link in my signature (cheap plug ) isn't even a fraction of the toys I own.

Currently, I've become more judicious and have been sticking to Green Lantern related purchases, although the DCUC C&C figures have gotten their fair share of my money... and with the Blackest Night set, it's hard to stay exclusive to Green Lantern with the release of the Guardians and what not.

Just wondering how things are for other members of this forum. Are there things you've bought on a whim and ended up regretting it later on?
Old 10-18-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
Doc2814
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Doc2814

When I got back into the game I bought any and all MU and DCUC figures I could find. I regret that.
Doc2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
JAredLantern
The 8th Soldier of Victory

Send a message via AIM to JAredLantern

My biggest regret was letting my mom give away all my toys from when I was a kid. Although, karmically (I don't know if that's a real word) I'm sure it was the right thing to do. Recently I've been trying to only buy figs of character's I really like. Strictly Batman Universe and GL Universe. On a side note, my local arcade is liquidating their stock. I'll let you know in a couple weeks if I feel any regret from this....

JAredLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
BTomaselli
Corps Honor Guard

When Star Wars came back in toy form in the 90's, I worked at TRU. We picked through every box that came in and got them all before they hit the shelves. I got all the ships, and the whole series for years. Now they sit around in a box and I can't display them since I'm not into SW anymore and don't have the room. I should sell the whole lot and pay my mortgage for a month or two with it.

Last edited by BTomaselli; 10-18-2010 at 09:22 PM.
BTomaselli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
Shingo Wol

I regret several Marvel Legends.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
War of Light Vet
Hal's Understudy

I regret buying a lot of things as well, but since I started collecting GL and pretty much only GL, i've definitely been more careful when buying figures.

"WHO CONTROLS WHAT NOW?" - Hal Jordan
War of Light Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #7
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I regret half of my toy purchases from the 90s. I bought everything Star Wars for the first few years and now they sit in an enormous box in my attic.

Same with my playmate Star Trek figures, and Trek 9" mego style dolls.

Pretty much anything I bought for Marvel, as I haven't read a Marvel book in years now. FF, Hulk, Iron Man, etc lines during their animated show heydays.

Most of my Total Justice/JLA figures I don't need. All I ever needed from those lines were figures that had to do with my pet faves like GL, Flash, Atom, Hawkman and Green Arrow.

A shitload of wrestling figures I bought in the 80s and 90s. After going to wrestling school and spending 6 years doing it for real, I don't even get nostalgic over those figures in the attic.

That's most of it. I have a lot of stuff in storage in my attic that I wish I DID have another room to display and don't want to part with, but a good chunk of it needs to go. I'm just too lazy to micromanage and sell it peice by piece on ebay.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:55 AM   #8
Godmera
Champion of the World

Send a message via AIM to Godmera Send a message via Yahoo to Godmera

I have a lot of Spawn figures, maybe them.
Godmera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:02 AM   #9
Lishego

i don't regret a single one, I regret more that I passed on some stuff, I just got a house, so now I get to have my own space, which will be comics, figs, and art studio
Old 10-19-2010, 01:08 AM   #10
GreenLantern888
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to GreenLantern888 Send a message via MSN to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Yahoo to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Skype™ to GreenLantern888

I regret giving away my toys especially all my Beast Wars ones.

Villain Draft (Best Team Winner)/Proud Supporter of the DCnU
GreenLantern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:11 AM   #11
GL13
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

I understand your pain and have regrets as well. I did the shopping sprees to and got the stuff that's collecting dust too. The x-files figures are my regret and the hope of the value will one day make me cash in of the value, just reminds me of the sound of the toilet flushing. The non moving McFarlane toys are my regret as well. Very detailed but mini statues. Old toybiz marvel figures I look at and say...WTF! Ever Christmas I donate them to kids that need toys and I have less regrets.

I use the ones that I can salvage and custom new figure that I like.

Last edited by GL13; 10-19-2010 at 01:14 AM.
GL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:58 AM   #12
hazardfilms
Parallax Host

Most of my Halo 3 figures. Like all but two of them!

hazardfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #13
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
Same with my playmate Star Trek figures, and Trek 9" mego style dolls.
I have at least 30 of those in a large box. They are incredibly cool, but I just don't have the shelf space to display them all. In addition, I have some of the 12" dolls like the 7 of 9 and the "Q".

Quote:
Pretty much anything I bought for Marvel, as I haven't read a Marvel book in years now. FF, Hulk, Iron Man, etc lines during their animated show heydays.
I sold off most of that stuff in lots on eBay years ago. I kind of regret selling off my Beta Ray Bill figure. Oh well.

Quote:
Most of my Total Justice/JLA figures I don't need. All I ever needed from those lines were figures that had to do with my pet faves like GL, Flash, Atom, Hawkman and Green Arrow.
Because of Kyle Rayner and the Parallax in that set, I was a completist and ended up getting them all... even the KB exclusives and the 4 figure set that only showed up at certain Toys R Us stores.

Quote:
A shitload of wrestling figures I bought in the 80s and 90s.
I still have my 80's wrestling figures along with the WWF ring... and a mini championship belt I jacked from a box from Toys R Us. Shame on my house for doing that.

If you're looking to get rid of that stuff, selling it as lots on eBay is the only way to go. It's FAR too much hassle to list those pieces separately. That's what I did with my 90's Marvel figures. Got a decent chunk of change for them too.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:26 PM   #14
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmera View Post
I have a lot of Spawn figures, maybe them.
Yeah, you can't even give that brittle crap away. Those damn things are more fragile than statues and have just as much articulation. I remember the highly sought after, one per case, first Malebolgia was going for BIG bucks back in the day. Now, you can get it for less than $5 on eBay sealed.

I especially regret buying the side sets like McFarlane toys Total Chaos and the Vampires and Werewolves.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:46 PM   #15
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

The figure regret works both ways. At a convention a couple of weeks ago, I regret not picking up the DCD Guardians 2-pack for $15. I was being stingy and only wanted to pay $10 and the vendor wouldn't go for it. It was towards the end of the show and I figured he didn't want to pack that stuff up and take it home, which is what he ended up doing. I also regret not getting Salaak for $25. Damn.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:15 PM   #16
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Speaking of shows, I went to that Boston show. What a pain in the ass! Because it's getting bigger and the way they underestimate the crowd each year, we were stuck waiting in line for FOUR hours before we finally got in.

I saw a lot of 90s figures the vendors were trying to unload, a lot of the same crap sitting in my attic right now. Sigh. And you should have bought the 2 pack. Great for army building, at least before Johns started killing them off one at a time in every arc.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #17
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Targaryen View Post
A shitload of wrestling figures I bought in the 80s and 90s. After going to wrestling school and spending 6 years doing it for real, I don't even get nostalgic over those figures in the attic.
You have to tell what your wrestling name was!

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:25 PM   #18
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I would agree that a lot of the Spawn figures I bought are regrettable.

There was a Marvel Legends Dr. Strange and Black Panther that I saw at a Toy show that were reasonably priced for loose figures, but I passed on them and now regret not buying. I may end up regretting not buying the SDCC 2014 Play Arts Arkham Origins Batman. That was a $100 bucks, which was out of my price range considering the stuff I paid for at SDCC.

I pretty much sold off all of my regrettable figures that I bought the time I rented a table at a toy show and made like $400 that day, a large chunk was Star Wars stuff.

Last edited by Darth_Primus; 08-21-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Darth_Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #19
Space Cop
The Dandy

I'm a bit of a compulsive buyer and have had buyer's remorse several times. Like some of you, I have boxes of Power of the Force Star Wars Toys from the 90s+ and now I don't even like them--almost none of them actually look like the actors. I might regret the TNG figs too except those were actually toys I played with at first as a kid, then collected in box.

I also compulsively bought the Mattel Sinestro Corps Batman and Manhunter which I now find ugly compared to the DC Direct stuff, so it's boxed (not on display like the others).
Old 08-22-2014, 04:07 PM   #20
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Targaryen View Post
I saw a lot of 90s figures the vendors were trying to unload, a lot of the same crap sitting in my attic right now. Sigh. And you should have bought the 2 pack. Great for army building, at least before Johns started killing them off one at a time in every arc.
I really regret not picking up that 2-pack. Even more so, now that I checked eBay and they're typically going for $20 - $30. Failed... I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I'm a bit of a compulsive buyer and have had buyer's remorse several times. Like some of you, I have boxes of Power of the Force Star Wars Toys from the 90s+ and now I don't even like them--
At every show I attend, there are vendors that have those 90's Star Wars POTF figures sitting in gigantic tupperware-looking bins underneath their tables for $2 each, and NOBODY is touching that stuff. In my storage, I have quite a few of those figures still on the card and they're practically worthless.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #21
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
The figure regret works both ways. .
That's certainly true in my case. DC Direct and DCUC's secondary market prices have cooled off somewhat over the last couple of years. I wish I would have waited on some of the rare figs.

On the flip side, I really regret not buying all of the Marvel Legends Icons in '05-'06. I got both Venoms and Spideys, but I should have snatched them all. Likewise, I held the Optimus Prime 20th anniversary figure in a department store, and ultimately decided against it. Now it's 4X-5X the original retail price.

However, no regret related to comics or figures comes close to the remorse I feel for some of the sports card purchases I made in the late 90s and early 2000s.
Fear the banners and the Wildcat bite!
Big Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #22
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I pretty much want to get rid of any Star Wars toys I have that aren't vintage, and I'm stuck with a shitload like everybody else is.

I don't even mind keeping the figures for the prequels, at least those are toys for those movies at that time. It's the new figures for old movies that I regret. I feel like now that my toy collections should be tied to the time that the movies really came out, not playing on my sense of nostalgia that cost me so much money in the 90s and 00s.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:05 PM   #23
Space Cop
The Dandy

I definitely have a bunch of things I regret not getting at the time--mostly at cons. I've seen some horror figures that are hard to come by now (a Cthulhu and a Nancy in tub from NoES) that were reasonable at the time. I also regret not picking up the magazine exclusive Medical and Fireman Jet Jaguars I saw at my first G-Fest and which I cannot find on any of the kaiju toy sites anymore.

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-23-2014 at 01:50 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:06 PM   #24
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
On the flip side, I really regret not buying... the Optimus Prime 20th anniversary figure in a department store, and ultimately decided against it.
Same here. I remember seeing the Optimus Prime 20th Anniversary figure on the clearance shelves of my local Walmart, but I couldn't afford to buy it at the time as I was newly married and wife stopped working to go back to school. It was also at that time that I sold about a third of my collection, which was mostly Masters of the Universe, GI Joe, Voltron, Star Trek, Transformers, Ronin Warriors and Power Rangers toys.

Last edited by Darth_Primus; 08-22-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Darth_Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:13 PM   #25
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

My biggest regret of NOT buying something?

The Mcfarlane Jaws diorama with the Orca, Jaws and Quint. When that came out they were all over, and my friend and I kept passing on it even though it's both of our favorite movie. Now the thing goes for 200 bucks. I need a time machine, not to view human history or anything, just to correct comic and toy mistakes.