The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation

Old 01-25-2017, 06:40 PM   #14851
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I think you believe too strongly in the possibility of fixing a bad movie after the shooting has wrapped. It's not impossible, but all you can do then is take stuff out and move stuff around.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:25 PM   #14852
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I sort of agree. It's hard to edit a good movie out of bad footage, but on the other end, bad editing can ruin what could have been a great movie. I'm sure there are some director's who owe their careers to the good skills of their editors on some films. Spielberg might never have been a name if it wasn't for Verna Fields.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:42 PM   #14853
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

John Williams played a role in Spielberg's success too. And that of George Lucas.

There have been some movies, like Heaven's Gate, that would have been saved by someone going into the editing room and ruthlessly cutting out all the ponderous bullshit. But those were movies that were just too long. If the editor has nothing to work with, then there's not much he can do.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 01-25-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:26 PM   #14854
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Someday I would like to see a fan edit of the three Hobbit movies condensed into one long movie, removing the subplot for the Tauriel/Legolas/Kili love triangle. And cutting down some of the ludicrous action scenes. I'm curious to see if someone could make a better movie out of it by leaving a ton of stupidity on the cutting room floor.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:11 PM   #14855
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
Someday I would like to see a fan edit of the three Hobbit movies condensed into one long movie, removing the subplot for the Tauriel/Legolas/Kili love triangle. And cutting down some of the ludicrous action scenes. I'm curious to see if someone could make a better movie out of it by leaving a ton of stupidity on the cutting room floor.
That would have been much better as two movies instead of three, but they'd have been passing up, what, $300 million?
Old 01-26-2017, 09:01 PM   #14856
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I'd like to see that as well.

I'd also like to see a fan cut up of Batman v. Superman to about 90 minutes, cutting out most of Lex's scenes, especially the material of him "masterminding the fight between Batman and Superman." The premise and "the Dark Knight Return inspiration" is enough for the fight between the two. Cut out the weird dreams/hallucinations by Bruce and Clark. I mean, that first thing about Bruce rises out of the pit on the wings of bats was really worthless.

I really want a director's commentary of Batman v. Superman.

Darth_Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:30 AM   #14857
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I just watched a 4 hour fan edit of the Hobbit by a guy who goes by Tolkien Editor online. I was in the mood to see it and curious as to how the edits could work and not have the edits and musical cues be jarring. This guys was PRETTY good. Overall it was watchable and very entertaining. There were several things I just wanted to fix for him, but not a lot. This guy's wasn't perfect but it was close to being ideal for a book fan. I liked that he was ruthless as hell cutting stuff out, but there were a few choices he made that impacted the continuity of the story. Mostly Fili and Kili's deaths omitted, the eagles saving the group after they escape the goblins, Smaug being covered in gold for one brief shot that could have been scrapped. The rest were shots that were too tight or not balanced with a non closeup shot when it needed one. But hey, the guy made a watchable movie so I have to give him major credit for the work he did.

I would recommend seeing it if you have the time. It takes up 6GB, so be prepared for that.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:04 AM   #14858
Space Cop
The Dandy

^I'd cut the stupid toilet joke first.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:18 PM   #14859
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

That was gone.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:04 PM   #14860
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I think where movies are concerned, Geoff's stock is way down.

Movies about comic book characters are a very different animal from comic books themselves. The two audiences are not at all alike. You can't get movie audiences to throw money at you by announcing an event or a rebirth.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/batman-be...090000764.html

Last edited by Trey Strain; 02-02-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:51 AM   #14861
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

I don't think his stock is down necessarily. He just became the fall guy. Before they leaned on him for creative influence. Now, he is the creative.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:43 AM   #14862
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Geoff isn't going to be starving anytime soon. He's fine with the movies unless things don't turn around for them with his expanded involvement. And even if that goes south, Geoff is still a sacred cow at DC Comics. His name still sells there.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:41 PM   #14863
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

The person who writes the GLC movie needs to know and appreciate the pre-Kyle Lanternverse, and there's almost no chance of getting someone like that. Everybody at DC thinks GL started with Geoff.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:02 AM   #14864
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

If all you knew about Green Lantern is what's been published in the comics from the time Geoff took over until now, could you find a good movie in that material?

I couldn't. And that's the problem.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:25 AM   #14865
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

To be fair, the same can be said for most characters. How many characters have classics? How many writers have classics?
Old 02-17-2017, 02:40 AM   #14866
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
To be fair, the same can be said for most characters. How many characters have classics? How many writers have classics?
You're exactly right. As with most properties, the classic GL material is way back, but everybody at DC thinks it's recent.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:18 AM   #14867
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I fantasized for decades about an epic Green Lantern trilogy that could rival Star Wars. Ever since I was a kid I wanted it. I had it in my head all the different things they could do, but basically had the origin story for the first one, the ESB middle part where things fell apart, and the third one where it all comes together maybe doing CoIE from the GLs pov.

Now, with 6 years of hindsight behind me on the disasterous GL movie...I just want ONE good Green Lantern film. Something I REALLY enjoy, that I pop in and watch a few times a year, and that I enjoy showing to people that haven't seen it. ONE good movie, and I'll never ask for anything again God, I promise.

I have my fingers crossed that the Lethal Weapon in space concept is the golden ticket. I love the concept and think it could totally work. I just pray WB gets their shit together in time.

If they load this movie with gay colored rainbow brigade lanterns, I will lose my shit. The only other color I want to see in a GLC movie is yellow, on Sinestro. Not on Scarecrow, Lois Lane, or Ocean Master.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:25 AM   #14868
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I fantasized for decades about an epic Green Lantern trilogy that could rival Star Wars. Ever since I was a kid I wanted it. I had it in my head all the different things they could do, but basically had the origin story for the first one, the ESB middle part where things fell apart, and the third one where it all comes together maybe doing CoIE from the GLs pov.

Now, with 6 years of hindsight behind me on the disasterous GL movie...I just want ONE good Green Lantern film. Something I REALLY enjoy, that I pop in and watch a few times a year, and that I enjoy showing to people that haven't seen it. ONE good movie, and I'll never ask for anything again God, I promise.

I have my fingers crossed that the Lethal Weapon in space concept is the golden ticket. I love the concept and think it could totally work. I just pray WB gets their shit together in time.

If they load this movie with gay colored rainbow brigade lanterns, I will lose my shit. The only other color I want to see in a GLC movie is yellow, on Sinestro. Not on Scarecrow, Lois Lane, or Ocean Master.
I would rather not even see Sinestro, because whoever writes it might be influenced by Geoff, and would make it all about him.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:09 PM   #14869
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I think Sinestro is one of the things Johns got right. I really like what he did with the character, both his characterization and interaction with the other characters. I shit on Johns' as much as anyone for things he did to damage the GL mythology, but we all tend to forget there was a point in his career where him getting assigned a favorite title of yours was a GOOD thing.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:54 PM   #14870
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I think Sinestro is one of the things Johns got right. I really like what he did with the character, both his characterization and interaction with the other characters. I shit on Johns' as much as anyone for things he did to damage the GL mythology, but we all tend to forget there was a point in his career where him getting assigned a favorite title of yours was a GOOD thing.
My problem with Sinestro is just that Geoff pushed him too hard. I'm afraid that might happen in the next movie too.

It's the same problem that wrestling fans have with Roman Reigns. Let ME decide who I'm interested in.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 02-17-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #14871
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I just watched Green Lantern First Flight with my son. I haven't seen it in a dog's age. I used to turn my nose up at it because of visual changes they made to the costumes and the GL tech. This time I just put that aside and let myself enjoy the story itself. It's much better than I gave it credit for. Certainly better than the live action movie.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:58 PM   #14872
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Get a script you're happy with, then set a release date. Not the other way around. This was posted 10 moths ago, and there's still no script.

http://movieweb.com/green-lantern-co...ase-date-2020/
Old 03-04-2017, 07:56 AM   #14873
Cyberium
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Default Green Lantern Corps movie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4120636/

In 2020, I wonder how would it be?

Cyberium of Sector 614, you foresee great HOPE in our future.
Cyberium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:40 AM   #14874
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

It would be like this, except with Kyle instead of Alan. So yes, that's exactly the right idea for the movie, with all four Earth Lanterns getting their rings at the same time. Now, why can't they reboot the comics that way too?

http://strainertea.blogspot.com/2017...ight-part.html

Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-06-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:48 PM   #14875
Space Cop
The Dandy

We've been talking about this in a couple different threads, but now the speculation, rumors, and eventual news will start coming faster. Might be a good idea to have a thread for this movie. Maybe a mod should move this to the GL Sceen forum.

Tags
movie