I met Joe Staton today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I met Joe Staton today!

I went to that local show I mentioned a few weeks ago, and got to meet Staton. It was a pretty cool experience, and Mr Staton was a very nice gentleman. I basically got to meet the guy who drew GL when I became a fan. I got to say the things I always wanted to say to him, and I got a GREAT full page inked drawing of Hal Jordan. I brought my son, and he chatted with both of us while drawing. And I got to get his autograph on a sentimental GL issue for me.

I got some cool swag too. Free stuff was a Flash pin and three of those GL rings that are floating around. They're the same mold as the ones that come with the DCD figs, but a different shade of green plastic.

For purchases, I got Atom #2 (silver age) to fill a whole in my collection. Also got B+B #86 for my Deadman collection. I got the variant cover to GA/BC #1 for 6 bucks. I got Green Arrow #69, which was the only issue of that series I was missing.

I accidentally bought a mystery box GL that I already had. The one from series two, that's the statue with the checkered base shrunk down. Now I have two for no good reason other than a faulty memory.

My BIG purchase (that I have no intention of telling Jen about!) is that I bought BOTH Sandman Absolute editions. They retail for 100 bucks each, and I got one for 50 bucks, and the other for 75. I planned on spending more money on older stuff, but I really wanted those two books, and I knew I'd break down and buy them down the road anyway. And I'd problably pay closer to cover price and kick myself, and I broke down and got these.

Fantastic. Any bit of good Q&A with him?

Comment

Dave - was that the covention that was in Nashua?

I was out of town on a work assignment, but i would have loved to have brought some of my older GL's and had him sign them. I've always been a big fan of Joe's art circa GL 135-145 stuff (the Polaris, Goldface run of stuff).

Sad I missed a free GL ring!

I'm like three minutes away from that hotel too. Doh!

Comment

Yeah, it was the one in Nashua. Sorry you missed it, he was very accomodating and talkative with people that came up to meet him.

I asked him about things relating to GL most of the time. I asked what he thought of Killowog coming back, since he and Englehart created him. He said it was great that they were doing good things with him, and every time a new figure of Wog comes out, he still gets a nice royalty check for it. He said Englehart came up with the idea, and he designed Killowog's look.

We also talked about Guy Gardner. As most of you know, Staton was the guy that designed Guy's famous costume. He joked about how as the strip went on, he drew his boots bigger and bigger until they became the "moon boots" of the 90s.

I asked him about a pet theory of mine from when they brought Guy back from his coma. I said I always wondered if the intent (before Guy was taken by Giffen and DeMatteis to use in JLI) was to make him the new renegade. He DID after all, try to kill Hal Jordan, and other Lanterns during the battle of Qward. Staton said that was never the intent; they just wanted him to be the dangerous edgy GL in answer to the straight forward Hal. He then said they had NO idea Guy was going to end up being the humorous character that he ended up being in JLI.

Comment

Damn. I'm sorry I missed this. I was sleeping all day..

Comment

Working...
          X