5 Reasons Kyle Needs a New Suit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Reasons Kyle Needs a New Suit

1.) Green Gloves. I know what you're gonna say, the white ones are more of a Corps standard and help the ring stand out. But look at it this way.... the Banks suit had green gauntlets, Ion 1.0 had small green gloves, the Jim Lee had longer green gloves, and Ion 2.0 even had green gloves except for the Sin War Special.

2.) New/Old Symbol. Again, every suit Kyle wore up to this point had a more original Lantern badge. This latest one, while cool with a black background, is still just an average badge.

3.) No Hal-lite. Aside from the mask, not much difference between the two suits to the naked eye. When my wife sees my page of GL micros she thinks half of them look the same [Hal, Kyle, Vath, Sarrek, and some of the RPG guys].

4.) Artist's Mindset. If Kyle is like any other artist who draws super-hero costumes he's got tons of ideas in his head. I remember an interview with JG Jones about how he said he'd just draw new costumes all day if he could get paid for doing it. I know I'm the same way....

5.) New Status Quo. Kyle's costumes always changed with the Status Quo as well, and since becoming an Honor Guard he's had 3 costumes. I think it's past time somebody like Kyle came up with a new HG standard. Like a new costume color switcharound like making the suits mostly black and white with green accents [like his original suit which was something Banks originally drew for John Stewart].

I'm tired of this lame attempt at a new costume. When it was originally designed and had the shoulder bumps it had potential, but it was always just the bastard child of Hal's suit and Kyle's Jim Lee costume. Give me something fresh. Here's something I came up with right before bed for an Honor Guard uniform loosely based on Ganthet's look depending on which artist you take from....

~KL~
    Ωmega Man
    Guardian of the Universe
    Last edited by Ωmega Man; 05-30-2010, 06:55 AM.

Meh, his original costume kicked ass and he should return to it

Take a look at my customs

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...read.php?t=939

Comment

i love his original, and his current.
      Figures for Sale/Trade: DCUC/DCD/Green Lantern Related *CHEAP*
      Formally known as TMarcumUSN (or "Marcus" freakin' Bruce Castle haha)

I'm a leaf on the wind...

Comment

I like all of his costumes for one reason or another, but this current one is by far the lamest.

Would fans except him taking his mask off when he's not on Earth? Would this be something people might take as part of a new costume? I almost took the mask off in the picture above, still need to work on the collar....

~KL~
        Ωmega Man
        Guardian of the Universe
        Last edited by Ωmega Man; 05-30-2010, 04:07 PM.

Comment

The character has had like 6 costumes in a 10 year period. He's been changed around so much there's absolutely no iconic value to his appearance anymore. As a Kyle fan, you WANT DC to change his costume AGAIN?

I'm not a fan of the character, and even I can see how changing it again won't serve him well.

Comment

The X-Men's suits change with damn near every new creative team. That's part of what makes them iconic.

~KL~

Comment

Originally posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
              The X-Men's suits change with damn near every new creative team. That's part of what makes them iconic.

~KL~
              But the X-Men still have basic designs that flow into every costume. Wolverine always has the same style mask. Cyclops always has his visor. Rogue always has white streaks in her hair. They all have marks identifying them as the same character, even with costume changes. Some of Kyle's designs you can set side by side and have no idea those are the same character.

I actually like this costume, because of it's basic design. Kyle is part of a TEAM, a CORPS, and should have a more uniform.... uniform. Having a bizarre and different costume kinda separates him from the rest of the Corps. Why put him in a Corps if you're going to make him -that- different from everyone else? I kinda feel like Kyle-fans would be happier if he wasn't a GL at all. Give him totally special and unique super powers and a costume all his own so he's a special snowflake all the time.

Comment

I bought ION. I'd buy him if he was Starheart powered. I might go as far as even reading him on the reg as a Blue Lantern.

There are PLENTY of alien GL's with some pretty original takes on the costume. Look at Arisia, Ash, Salaak, Raker, etc.... no reason Kyle couldn't stand out. I'm not saying something can't carry over again to a new suit, like his crab-mask [which in it's own way is iconic], he just needs something a little more Kyle.

~KL~

Comment

I bought ION. I'd buy him if he was Starheart powered. I might go as far as even reading him on the reg as a Blue Lantern.

There are PLENTY of alien GL's with some pretty original takes on the costume. Look at Arisia, Ash, Salaak, Raker, etc.... no reason Kyle couldn't stand out. I'm not saying something can't carry over again to a new suit, like his crab-mask [which in it's own way is iconic], he just needs something a little more Kyle.

~KL~
                  yeah, but with Arisia, Ash, Salaak, Raker, (I'm gonna throw Torquemada in there, just 'cause I think he's a badass) etc.... you're talking about secondary, at best, characters. They NEED to stand out for you to tell them apart. It's a story device. For a main character, especially one who's supposed to be excited about being a member of a Corps again, he should have a uniform closer to the other Earth GLs. To give him such a dramatically different costume kinda defeats the attitude he's got over being in the Corps, being a REAL GL instead of "the only" or "torchbearer". I like the idea of having Kyle on even-level with the other Earth GLs. Making him a special and unique snowflake undermines where I feel the character has been going all through BN and into BD. He's not a "special" lantern, he's not the only one, he's apart of something bigger than he is now, and he seems content with that. He keeps going down this road, and dare I say it, Kyle might end up being a READABLE character! :P

Comment

Guy Gardner has a very non-standard uniform.

I wouldn't mind seeing Kyle don a new GL costume. I remember back in the Morrison JLA days that he feels heroes should change their costumes every once in a while to keep things fresh. And that's the kind of hero Kyle seems to me. The kind who changes his look a lot.

As for the symbol, though, I think that's best left as it is. Since we have other colored corps now the look of the symbol is important.

Comment

I agree. New costume, new symbol, the current is basic and boring.

Comment

Originally posted by lokeinlyesmith View Post
                        yeah, but with Arisia, Ash, Salaak, Raker, (I'm gonna throw Torquemada in there, just 'cause I think he's a badass) etc.... you're talking about secondary, at best, characters. They NEED to stand out for you to tell them apart. It's a story device. For a main character, especially one who's supposed to be excited about being a member of a Corps again, he should have a uniform closer to the other Earth GLs. To give him such a dramatically different costume kinda defeats the attitude he's got over being in the Corps, being a REAL GL instead of "the only" or "torchbearer".
                        He's no more excited to be part of the Corps today as he was in say.... Recharged. He should be past all of those "I'm one of the guys!" feelings and be himself. I feel in a world where Hal has his own title and supporting roles in books like JLoA, and Guy has his own series, that Kyle needs to stand out now more than ever so he's not lost in the shuffle. His costume isn't closer to the other GL's, just Hal's. Same boots and gloves [depending on if Hal's are pointed] and a mostly green torso. John has the mostly black suit with green gauntlets and bare hands, while Guy's suit is formerly the Fists of the Guardians' suits.

The line from JLA Secret Files and Origins #1 says it all:

Kyle: "I like it." [in reference to Superman's blue electric suit]

Wally: "You would."

Kyle: "Changing suits once in awhile keeps everything fresh."

He's an artist, he NEEDS change. Keep the crab-mask if you have to but don't hold the character back just because Hal's in the picture. Aside from Kyle sketching dead GL's and trying to paint a mural on the Oan walls you wouldn't even know he was an artist. But here lately there's not even that many references to Hal being in the Air Force....

~KL~

Comment

Screw it. You talked me into it. DCD JUST got a figure out of Kyle in his current costume...time to change it again! Put him in something fruity that doesn't look like the typical model for a Green Lantern Corps member (green torso, green boots, black arms and legs, and white gloves). Why not?

Comment

But here lately there's not even that many references to Hal being in the Air Force....
                            Well, they -have- been kinda busy, with a whole WAR and all these other corps popping up... plus all those dead guys... kinda hard to find time for the mundane things in the middle of all that. :P

I dunno. I just think Kyle's spent his entire career as a GL being special and standing out, and I've hated every moment of it. Now that he's becoming more of a part of the Corps instead of some special and unique snowflake, I'm liking him more. Now you want him changed up and special again. Give the character some stability.

Comment

Originally posted by lokeinlyesmith View Post
                              I dunno. I just think Kyle's spent his entire career as a GL being special and standing out, and I've hated every moment of it. Now that he's becoming more of a part of the Corps instead of some special and unique snowflake, I'm liking him more. Now you want him changed up and special again. Give the character some stability.
                              Nope. New costume. Every six months. Time for a petition!

Comment

Working...
                              X