Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 02-08-2019, 09:27 PM   #2601
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

'Aquaman' Spinoff 'The Trench' in the Works

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:19 PM   #2602
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Could work if they do it in the same vein as a low budget horror movie.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:31 AM   #2603
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

The Wrap: David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick to Write ‘Aquaman’ Sequel
Quote:
Frequent James Wan collaborator David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick has been tapped to write the “Aquaman” sequel, TheWrap has exclusively learned.

Johnson-McGoldrick co-wrote the first “Aquaman” with Will Beall based on a story by Geoff Johns, Beall, and James Wan.

Wan and Peter Safran are producing.

“Aquaman” has grossed $1.12 billion worldwide, becoming Warner Bros.’ first billion-dollar box office hit since “The Dark Knight Rises” in 2012. It is also the first billion-dollar release from a studio other than Disney or Universal since “Transformers: Age of Extinction” in 2014.

The road to $1 billion began with the film’s release in China on the first weekend of December, when it opened to a studio-record $94 million.

Warner Bros. did a significant reshuffling of their studio’s DC division after the disappointing results of “Justice League,” which served as Aquaman’s big-screen introduction but only made $657 million worldwide despite also featuring Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.

The news follows last week’s announcement that Warner Bros. is developing an “Aquaman” spinoff “The Trench,” an individual with knowledge of the project told TheWrap. Screenwriters Noah Gardner and Aidan Fitzgerald have been tapped to write “The Trench.”

Johnson-McGoldrick’s credits include “The Conjuring 2” and “The Conjuring 3” along with “Dungeons and Dragons” and “Orphan.”

Johnson-McGoldrick is repped by Paradigm and Behr Abramson Levy
Old 02-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #2604
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
'Aquaman' Spinoff 'The Trench' in the Works

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
Could work if they do it in the same vein as a low budget horror movie.
Considering that the trench scene was mostly CGI, I'm not sure how an actual film centered on it could be low budget. For it to be low budget, the movie would probably take place in a cave to avoid costs of CGI ocean and creatures floating around.

It will be interesting to see where they go with the sequel.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:27 AM   #2605
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

The Trench is a pretty cool concept. Curious to see how they pull it off without any principal Aquaman actors.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:45 AM   #2606
robojac
Corps Honor Guard

Clint Mansell & Kevin Kiner Scoring DC Universe’s ‘Doom Patrol’

Quote:
Clint Mansell (Requiem for a Dream, Black Swan, Moon, The Fountain) and Kevin Kiner (Star Wars Rebels, Narcos: Mexico, Star Wars: The Clone Wars) are the composers of the new DC Universe original series Doom Patrol. The show is developed by Jeremy Carver (Supernatural) based on the DC comics created by Arnold Drake, Bob Haney & Bruno Premiani and stars Matt Bomer, Brendan Fraser, April Bowlby, Diane Guerrero, Joivan Wade, Alan Tudyk and Timothy Dalton. The drama follows a group of outcast Super Heroes: Robotman, Negative Man, Elasti-Girl and Crazy Jane, led by modern-day mad scientist Dr. Niles Caulder (The Chief). Carver is also executive producing the Warner Bros. Television production with Greg Berlanti, Geoff Johns and Sarah Schechter (Riverdale, The Flash, Arrow, Supergirl) are producing the Warner Bros. Television production. Kiner & Mansell have previously co-scored the first season of DC Universe’s Titans. Doom Patrol will premiere this Friday, February 15 exclusively on the DC Universe streaming platform.
http://filmmusicreporter.com/2019/02...s-doom-patrol/
robojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:19 AM   #2607
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I have been checking out reviews of Doom Patrol today for the first 2 episodes that went out to the press early. I am hearing almost all good things about it, chiefly (pun intended) that so far DP is a LOT better than Titans. Now I really wish WB had thought to offer this on ps4. At this point I would just fork over 75 bucks for a year subscription and have been done with it.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:32 PM   #2608
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

so, apparently *this* is a thing now: https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/exclus...animated-movie

Quote:
Exclusive: Batman and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles meet in first animated movie crossover

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:21 PM   #2609
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

I had my doubts but I really enjoyed the first episode of Doom Patrol, here's the extended trailer and opening credits for those that are interested:

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video
Old 02-16-2019, 05:28 PM   #2610
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Well they got me. I just signed up for 12 months a few minutes ago. It said the confirmation email is up to 24 hours but I got it within 5 minutes.

Now I just have to figure out how I can best watch this without resorting to using my phone.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:05 PM   #2611
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

What did you think?
Old 02-18-2019, 03:32 PM   #2612
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I LOVE it!!!!
Old 02-18-2019, 03:52 PM   #2613
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

So I drove to town and bought a 12 foot HDMI cable at Walmart, then hooked up my laptop to my living room tv. No way am I watching this show on a laptop or my phone.

My overall feeling on the first episode was that the goofy teasers DC released early on didn't do the show any favors. It was MUCH better than I was lead to believe. It wasn't until the recent 4 minute trailer that I got a real sense of the tone and direction of the show, which was what ultimately made me plunk down 75 bucks. Now that I watched the first episode, I've pretty much dropped my pants to my ankles, bent over and said "take me DC, I'm yours!"

For a pilot episode, this did a great job of recapping the 3 essential members' origins, Cliff Steele, Rita Farr and Larry Trainor. There is plenty of time to delve into Niles Caulder and Kay Challis as time goes on. The episode was well written and well acted. The editing and pacing for the pilot was pretty good; I feel like they really took time and effort to get this right. The CGI is better than I would expect for a tv show. This is definitely an R rated show and they really went for it with the sex and nudity. They did a few changes to the origins and character traits that I won't outright spoil, but I'll say Cliff has more going in the show than in the comics, and the trailers already show some things about Larry that never were true in the comics. On both of these I find I am actually pretty good with. My inner OCD for comic faithfullness never came out while watching this like it does every 6 seconds on CW's The Flash. I think the changes to Cliff and Larry actually work very well and make sense. Cliff is given much more depth and I'm not offended by what they did to Larry.

I haven't brought myself to watch Titans yet but will this week sometime. That said, everything I have seen so far on Titans tells me Doom Patrol is going to be leaps and bounds better than that show. I'm thinking if the people that make these shows are learning as they go and DP is far better than Titans, than it REALLY gives me hope on how well Swamp Thing is going to turn out. Last I read, Swampy will debut at the end of May and run through to the end of August.

I do wish they would drop these shows all at once so I could binge them, but I get why they don't seeing they give you a free week to try out the streaming service. If Doom Patrol turns out as well as the pilot did, and Swampy is as good or better, I'll resubscribe next year.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:13 PM   #2614
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

You can catch up on Young Justice while you wait, though it is a bit bleaker than the two previous seasons.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:02 PM   #2615
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Yeah my son is a big fan of Young Justice and wants to do a rewatch from the beginning, so we will likely do that together. I remember really liking the old episodes that I saw.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:25 PM   #2616
Tazer

Yo.

I watched that 1st eps of DP too, but Im a lot LESS forgiving towards the changes they made to make it tv-fashionable (most of which just seemed....overly excessive to me.)

Im gonna give this a hard pass, like Titans.
:/

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:44 PM   #2617
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
I watched that 1st eps of DP too, but Im a lot LESS forgiving towards the changes they made to make it tv-fashionable (most of which just seemed....overly excessive to me.)
Tazer
Well, Dave's happening like that and would rather his Star Wars or Doom Patrol appeal to PC hipsters.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:30 PM   #2618
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Ha! I'm going all SJW baby! I just burned up my Man Card!
Old 02-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #2619
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

Tazer
Out of curioisity (and begrugedly, respect for your opinion...) What did you find excessive about the changes they made?
Old 02-19-2019, 05:40 PM   #2620
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Well, Dave's happening like that and would rather his Star Wars or Doom Patrol appeal to PC hipsters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Out of curioisity (and begrugedly, respect for your opinion...) What did you find excessive about the changes they made?
honestly, it seemed like the writers took a look at all of the sad & pathetic shit from the various revisions/reconceptualizings these guys have been through and figured they needed MORE baggage (like Cliff being responsible for his wifes death, or Larry being married w/children....but closeted). I cant speak much for Crazy Jane since I never read any of the stories w/her (Im guessing shes from the Vertigo -runs??), and Rita now being a puddle of goo who remembers what she looked like is right out of the book, but that she now seems to suffer from some form of Body Dysmorphic Disorder (or something similar) and is stuck watching her old films from 20 - 30yrs ago just to smile again seems a shame to dump on who I remember to be the most chipper member of the group.

I mean, this show had such a heavy "Woe is me..." -vibe, they mustve been stuck watching ppl in metal-cleated jackboots stomp on freshly-born puppies or something..........
/shrug

lastly, I know I'll prolly shock a lot of ppl by saying this, but I gotta be honest here: the use of the word "fuck" past its 5th utterance was just tiring. :/

Tazer

Quote:
Old 02-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #2621
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Huh. Fair enough. I can't or won't really argue against your criticisms as I think they are valid if the way it was done rubs you the wrong way. For me those things added or fleshed out their story story...and I am ALL about old school. But I can see why some fans won't like the self pity party that starts the show.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:03 PM   #2622
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I hate reading that the abbreviation for "Doom Patrol" is "DP" as to me that's Deadpool.

At any rate, I'm glad to hear people are liking "Doom Patrol." It gives me more motivation to sign with the DC streaming service. I'll most likely wait until the end of the year to sign up as I wait for more content to be available in their library.

Is the animated films of "Death of Superman" and "Reign of the Supermen" on the streaming service yet? I heard complaints that "Reign of the Supermen" wasn't available same day it was dropped for digital download.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:52 PM   #2623
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post
I hate reading that the abbreviation for "Doom Patrol" is "DP" as to me that's Deadpool...
There's a few things DP can stand for.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:45 PM   #2624
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
There's a few things DP can stand for.

Ahhh, memories. Good times...
Old 02-20-2019, 11:47 PM   #2625
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post
I hate reading that the abbreviation for "Doom Patrol" is "DP" as to me that's Deadpool.

At any rate, I'm glad to hear people are liking "Doom Patrol." It gives me more motivation to sign with the DC streaming service. I'll most likely wait until the end of the year to sign up as I wait for more content to be available in their library.

Is the animated films of "Death of Superman" and "Reign of the Supermen" on the streaming service yet? I heard complaints that "Reign of the Supermen" wasn't available same day it was dropped for digital download.

Both were on there as of last night. I have noticed they are moving things around and even taking things off. On Friday when I signed up, both DC live action specials were on the roast and the other one. Then they were gone. There are a lot of animated movies that arent on there as well. Like they are holding back.