The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Video Games
FLASHCHAT

Qward

Old 02-05-2019, 11:13 AM   #3626
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

I beat Celeste without ever using Assist mode. Feels great.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:48 PM   #3627
buffalorock
Manhunter Repairman

FTL (Faster Than Light) on Steam is great.

I've only beaten it once, and my ship actually exploded but since it was after the big boss, I got credit for the win.

I keep coming back to it, I wish it was available on mobile.
buffalorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:46 AM   #3628
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

1) RNG in The Division is still a fickle bitch to me. Can't get the right Classified gear I need for my third agent.

2) Dark Souls -- got killed a couple times because I got annoyed and tried to rush a couple spots, no huge loss but it made me roll my eyes. I still didn't feel like challenging the Undead Burg Black Knight, and I wasn't in the mood for Havel either, so I picked the Taurus Demon to take on. I managed to first blow easily enough, but then he killed me (I then died again rushing to get back to the fight, ugh). Second time I tried some tactics, namely spawning the boss, climbing up and doing the plunge attack, rolling between his legs to force him to back up, climbing up again, and then he jumped up when I was drinking my Estus flask to regain health.

Apparently getting on the ladder to go down causes the boss to jump back down and I kept getting on/off to trick him into giving me a few moments to refill my HP, and then I repeat plunged him for a fairly easy win.

Past him I got to the dragon's bridge, and then below it to create the shortcut from Undead Burg, but I don't have a long bow at the moment to shoot off the dragon's tail for the Drake Sword. I might get one because that actually is a damn good weapon in early game for melee characters.

I pushed onward a bit and discovered Undead Parish, spotting the giant boar mini-boss and almost going up the other stairs before realizing there's another Black Knight there. Went back to the bonfire under the bridge and called it an evening. Tomorrow I'll try and clear out the boar, maybe I might feel bold enough to tackle one of the Black Knights, and I know I'll leave Havel alone for a while yet.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:59 AM   #3629
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Daaamn, as much as I loved Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy on the original Xbox, it really didn't age well. The Switch port by THQ Nordic is atrocious. The only thing they changed was the screen resolution, but the controls, camera, voice-less cut scenes and quests are terrible.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:47 PM   #3630
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

That does suck, because THQN isn't a bad studio, and now they have this (admittedly minor) shame on their record.

edit --- killed the giant boar in Dark Souls (didn't get the helmet this time, guess it was because it technically died to fire damage from the environment rather than my sword, but the helmet wasn't great anyway). Got a bit farther into Undead Parish and fought some particular knight-style enemies (not the Black Knights yet, still hesitating on those bastards). Maybe tomorrow I'll clear out more of the Parish itself and activate the elevator to Firelink Shrine, but I'll probably call it a night there because I absolutely don't feel like dealing with that double gargoyle boss fight. That fight was bullshit the first time, I don't want to think ahead to the frustration I'm probably going to feel soon enough.

Last edited by Agent Purple; 02-07-2019 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Dunk Soulssssssssss
Agent Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:50 PM   #3631
Space Cop
The Dandy

Mike Matei plays/reviews a $1,000 game.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:54 PM   #3632
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Just watched that and have to say, it does look like a very good game. Maybe one day it'll get a release on XBL/PSN/VC, but until then, gamers will just have to dream.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:44 PM   #3633
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Had a wonderful (read: frustrating and inconclusive) time with my 360 just now.

1) Couldn't sign in to Xbox Live. Apparently my Microsoft account was not associated with my particular 360 profile, but I suspect I was entering the E-mail address wrong in one spot just because I probably typed in the wrong characters towards the end as a simple mistake. Redownloaded my own profile to my console (no, no duplicate, I just got that part right at last) so now my XBL account is still active and I have the console registered on Microsoft.com. I might have to sign in every time I load up now, but that's a small price to pay.

2) The fucking disc tray is stuck good this time. I'm going to have to spend time later watching videos because the support pages on the official Xbox site, even with pictures, just aren't getting the problem solved. That'll be a project for later, but I need to get it done at some point because god forbid I bought all those 360 games for nothing, fine waste of money that would be.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:00 PM   #3634
Space Cop
The Dandy

^I feel for you. You go to spend some time with a game and spend hours just trying to get it back and running. Hate that.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:48 AM   #3635
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Well, at least my PS3 is still working, because I popped in Dark Souls, reinforced my Estus flask, and then went on to kill both the Undead Burg Black Knight and immediately moved to tackle Havel the Rock. Didn't have much trouble with either, but the BK did score a hit on me and Havel nearly as well, since they both knock down a load of my endurance bar to block each blow from them.

I think Havel was harder to beat because of that insane armor of his reducing my damage so much. But either way I now have Havel's ring (increase carry weight) and I also have a Black Knight's shield (not using it). I might explore a bit of the lower levels of Undead Burg this week, because I remember there's a merchant somewhere down there, and a shortcut in the sewers that leads back to Firelink Shrine. Still haven't fought the gargoyles on top of Undead Parish, or the Black Knight there, but they're not going anywhere and I hated the gargoyles double-teaming me the last time.

And then there's the Darkroot Basin/Forest, and that fucking butterfly fight I'll have to go through. What sucks is I'll have to go through the game a second time to get both endings, and New Game Plus steps up the difficulty a good bit, and I'm not sure I should just start a fresh character instead (I might have to do that, because I want to have a Darkmoon-aligned character, but keeping the covenant might be difficult because I'm fairly sure you have to kill Gwyndolin and betray the covenant to advance the story).

edit --- messed around with my third agent in The Division to see how well the build holds up in daily missions. Only did two on hard, then had to adjust a couple stats for the gear afterwards and pick a different main gun. I love the Bullfrog, but it just wasn't cutting it, so I switched to a Black Market AK-74 and it's much better overall, and my gear needed a couple extra Health on Kill traits to keep me from wasting either medkits or my support station. But hey, I get to finally use my AK!

Last edited by Agent Purple; 02-11-2019 at 02:57 AM. Reason: blam blam blam blam
Old 02-12-2019, 02:02 AM   #3636
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

While I was tempted to link to the torch-only challenge for JMM today, I just watched this recommended video of a Rust game session. I don't play the game, only watched maybe one video with my dad on his TV YouTube app/channel, not on my laptop until now.

However, this "solo player bankrupts clan" is just too good to share (and it isn't long, only 20m). I was impressed by just how clever and determined this guy was (granted, his enemies were apparently cocky morons).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9ke7jOWxZs
Old 02-16-2019, 03:20 AM   #3637
buffalorock
Manhunter Repairman

Did anyone pick up a PSOne Classic? If the price drops even more I might have to just because.

The SNES Classic has gotten the most playtime out of that and the NES. The library on it is great and the games have aged quite well.
buffalorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:44 AM   #3638
Space Cop
The Dandy

^I saw it at Best Buy when I got my NES classic, but didn't get it because I still have a working PS2 and several PS1 games and feel like I could easily beef up that library based on my tastes. Word is they overproduced them, so I wouldn't be surprised if you could get them cheaper some day.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:03 AM   #3639
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Been watching some long plays of old games, specifically Demon's Crest (which I now know to be awesome, wish I played it years ago even though I probably would have gotten frustrated at all the hidden secrets and backtracking, at least at first) and the X-Men and Spider-Man: The Animated Series games.

X-Men was basically as I remember, okay but not great. Need to watch Clone Wars again, but I do remember that being pretty good.

The Spider-Man game was hot garbage, even back then. Level design was anarchic, you have limited web ammo/grenades, enemies were brutal, and oh god, the awful music (the boss fight music was actually half-decent, I'll admit); the Coney Island music they have is absolute torture, and putting the Green Goblin in that level makes him seem like a shitty knockoff of the Joker.

Currently watching a playthrough of The Ooze, which actually looks pretty good so far.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:37 AM   #3640
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Angry Joe's review for Anthem

Guess I won't be getting that for at least six months, if not an entire year. Sucks, because the premise, aesthetic, and gameplay all looked great (I didn't play the beta).
Old 02-25-2019, 10:19 PM   #3641
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

JMM requests: Rocket Knight, Earnest Evans, Altered Beast

Man, I loved Altered Beast as a kid. I never was able to beat it, but it was such a great game. Rocket Knight too, though I barely had a chance to play it because a kid down the street had it and I didn't.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:05 AM   #3642
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
JMM requests: Rocket Knight, Earnest Evans, Altered Beast

Man, I loved Altered Beast as a kid. I never was able to beat it, but it was such a great game. Rocket Knight too, though I barely had a chance to play it because a kid down the street had it and I didn't.
I didn't either but I downloaded it on Xbox and beat it a year or so ago.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:10 AM   #3643
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Just checked, both Altered Beast and a remastered Rocket Knight require PSNow subscription to get them free. That's bullshit.

Searching for Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for PS3 on eBay turns up far more favorable results. Bought that and Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS3), because I still haven't had time to fix my disc tray for my 360 to play the original Dogma and the expansion is basically incompatible as DLC, from what I remember when it was first released (you actually had to get a new copy of the game or some shit, couldn't just download it because apparently the programming didn't mesh or some short-sighted shit like that; whatever, my PS3 is working perfectly fine and has plenty of space on it right now).
Old 03-01-2019, 11:12 PM   #3644
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
Angry Joe's review for Anthem

Guess I won't be getting that for at least six months, if not an entire year. Sucks, because the premise, aesthetic, and gameplay all looked great (I didn't play the beta).
fearless linked that to me on FB, and I gotta sayeven if/when they get some (or even MOST) of the things he rants about fixed, Im prolly gonna give this a hard pass.

shame too, cuz the flying aspect looked really, REALLY fun.......
:/

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:00 AM   #3645
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

I'm astonished fearless is still alive. As for the game, I've heard from several people on reddit that it is fun enough, but that the devs need really have their hands full with damage control.

Anyway...

I've done the last bit of play for The Division that I'll probably ever do. I did play a bit into three of the incursions (don't have the Last Stand DLC for Stolen Signal, which most of the community tends to avoid playing because of all the intricacies and how easy it can be to fail), but wasn't able to beat any of them. No legendary missions, not even heroic, and there are plenty of commendations unfinished.

It doesn't matter. I got pretty much everything I really wanted and I intend to play the open beta (downloading now). It's going to be a busy-as-hell weekend for me, but I want to get into the new Dark Zone and earn myself a nice little trinket as a reward.

With The Division no longer sucking up my time, I'll also be able to play other PS4 games (Doom, Arkham Knight, etc) and to download other things (Bloodstained: Curse of the Night being one of them), and can focus on Dark Souls more now as well (and Deus Ex: Human Revolution). Oh, and my copy of Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS3) showed up today, and if I'm very lucky my copy of Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection might arrive tomorrow.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:04 PM   #3646
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Reached level cap on Division 2 open beta. You can only get to level 8, and any progress, including commendations, is reset when the full game releases so that everyone starts on a level field. I haven't done the "endgame" with the level 30 presets yet, since I want to do the DZ East mission and get the crate trinket.

One thing I absolutely love is that the FAMAS is back, and is a regular gun. One of my biggest D1 wishes granted.

The armor/health rework is fine, and the time-to-kill on enemy NPCs is acceptable. I'm liking the not-snow-drenched DC area, and I like the Rioters' replacement faction, the Hyenas. The True Sons are a decent enemy, and AI has improved (the enemies love to flank, and those exploding RC cars are back). Liberating various areas and bringing control points onto your side makes things feel a bit like Assassin's Creed Brotherhood from my 360 days.

I guess you can't pick up ANY clothing in the open beta, just what the randomized characters wear from the start. That's fine.

I got stuck twice and barely managed to escape both times, the game resetting my position into bad spots again and again. Pretty rare though.

Bosses are not bullet sponges, breaking their armor to directly damage health isn't difficult. They seem to be susceptible to status effects now, whereas they outright ignored them in D1.

I won't be able to afford Division 2 upon release, and I want to see the reviews before I commit fully, but if things in the proper game are at least this good, I'll be getting it sooner than later.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:17 AM   #3647
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Completed the DZ East mission, place was almost totally empty except for mission-required enemies, but suitably creepy all the same. Extraction time was significantly reduced, I suppose to compensate for the smaller area sizes.

I found a single shirt. Hooray.

Fuck the goddamn robot "warhounds" the Black Tusk faction uses. Those things are a fucking load.

Black Tusk also spams drones like there's no tomorrow.

The "Invaded" mission is going to be a bitch to complete.

edit -- managed to complete it, boss fight was a lot more annoying than before. But now I have all the unlocks from the open beta, so now all I need is for the full game to be worth buying so I can use those and the shield/app rewards I got from Division 1 and then I'm good.

Last edited by Agent Purple; 03-03-2019 at 02:54 AM. Reason: pew pew pew
Old 03-03-2019, 10:57 PM   #3648
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Went into DZ East again, this time to actually explore it and see the new landmarks. I'm liking them so far, and we get these sledgehammer-wielding heavy bosses that resemble the juggernauts from Modern Warfare 2 (or 3, whichever). Also ran into a couple random groups of players, briefly worked together to clear a couple areas.

Manhunt happened right before I entered, missed it, but I made a point of avoiding areas with rogue icons popping up.

I did, however, actually loot locked containers and hack terminals, actively working towards getting access to the new Thieves' Den area. It was exciting being rogue without being a murderous prick, and eventually I got into the special room (which is bare bones for now and requires special perks to utilize more), which cleared my rogue status. I think this new level of gameplay will greatly increase the amount of time I'll be spending in the DZ in general.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:54 AM   #3649
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

JMM: Fighting Cyberdemon with only fists

In all honesty, I would have thought that the damage would have a clearer calculation, but I suppose it never really got in the way anyhow. And once again Mike ends up claiming a trophy for his gamer cred gallery.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:41 AM   #3650
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

So Ubisoft/Massive activated the rewards for playing in the betas/etc, but apparently all kinds of weird shenanigans are happening: people are able to access some but not all rewards despite completing the requirements, to the point where they can't even see some rewards at all (this includes me, because I can't access a weapon skin, and can't see two of the rewards I do want).

Hopefully the problems get sorted out soon, because I really want the DZ loot crate trinket, and not being able to get it is disheartening at best.