SDCC 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SDCC 2014: Information on Child Badges and Volunteering

With this year’s San Diego Comic-Con just over two weeks in the past, CCI is already looking forward toward the future.

Not only have they begin preparations for 2014 badge pre-registration, set for some time in November, but they’ve today announced information regarding child badges and volunteering for next year’s convention.

First, let’s go over child badge registration, since we get questions about this a lot. The policy states any child 12 years of age and under gets into Comic-Con for free with a paying adult. However, CCI uses a cutoff date rather than birth date to determine whether one is a child and gets in free, or is a junior and requires a Member ID and badge. That cutoff date is November 1, 2013. Simply put, if you’re 12 or under on that date, you qualify for a child badge. If you are 13 or older on that date, you must have a Member ID and must purchase a junior badge to enter the convention.

One more note about child badges: Children are registered at badge pick-up, as long as they are accompanied by a paying adult.

Okay, now let’s go over volunteering, one of the more popular ways for people to get involved in making Comic-Con a success, and get a free badge and t-shirt to boot.

If you’re looking to become a SDCC volunteer for the first time in 2014, you’ll first have to log into the Member ID site (granted you’ve already created your Member ID – it’s important!) and opt-in by selecting to be placed on the “Comic-Con 2014 Volunteer Interest List”. CCI mentions signing up for the Volunteer Interest List is the only way to receive information on when volunteer registration will be open to the general public, as the exact date and time will only be emailed to those on the list and not made available on its website, Twitter or Facebook accounts.

If you completed an assignment in 2013, you’ll be notified via email when returning volunteer registration is open. Once returning registration is complete, new volunteer registration for the general public will open. Right now the site gives a general date of “early 2014″ for new volunteer registration, which leads us to think returning volunteer registration might be as early as later this year.
    You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

I will of course be returning again.

Comment

Comment

That's for NYCC good sir
          I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

Not trying to rub any noses in, for the people that have to fight for badges, but I got some exciting news today.

Due to the TnC comic strip, I am now considered a "professional" and have been approved for a professionals badge for next year. a friend talked me into trying to sign up that way, and include some of the artwork from the strip that includes my name. I did it two months back, and just got the affirmative email today.

Pretty cool to get the ticket. But I think its cooler to be called a "professional" for doing something I enjoy doing.

Cory

Comment

We need to get hookers and dictionary going so we can all attend sdcc.

Comment

Originally posted by CJF28 View Post
                Not trying to rub any noses in, for the people that have to fight for badges, but I got some exciting news today.

Due to the TnC comic strip, I am now considered a "professional" and have been approved for a professionals badge for next year. a friend talked me into trying to sign up that way, and include some of the artwork from the strip that includes my name. I did it two months back, and just got the affirmative email today.

Pretty cool to get the ticket. But I think its cooler to be called a "professional" for doing something I enjoy doing.

Cory
                That's great news.

Congrats!
                You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

Originally posted by CJF28 View Post

Cory
                  Congrats! That's awesome, man!

Originally posted by Robinson View Post
                  We need to get hookers and Pictionary going so we can all attend sdcc.
                  LOL! Seriously.

Comment

FYI-

Dear Comic-Con 2013 Attendee,

As you may be aware, all Comic-Con 2013 attendees were asked to keep their physical 2013 badge to be eligible for Comic-Con 2014 preregistration. Each Comic-Con badge contained a unique code that will be used for online preregistration. As a one-time courtesy, Comic-Con International will automatically enter your 2013 badge code for this year’s preregistration event.

However, new junior attendees (age 13 as of November 1, 2013) who attended Comic-Con 2013 as a child are still required to enter the badge code from their physical Comic-Con 2013 child badge to be eligible for 2014 preregistration. For more information, please visit http://www.comic-con.org/cci/2014-cc...reregistration

This one-time courtesy will apply to Comic-Con 2014 preregistration only. Attendees will be required to keep their physical Comic-Con 2014 badge and badge code to be eligible for Comic-Con 2015 preregistration. Please be sure not to sell, trade, or give away your Comic-Con 2014 badge or badge code, or you may not be eligible for 2015 preregistration.

For more information on Comic-Con 2014 preregistration, please refer to the Comic-Con website: http://www.comic-con.org/cci/2014-cc...reregistration

Sincerely,

Comic-Con International

Comment

Another update:

Seasons Greetings from Comic-Con!

We wanted to give everyone a heads up that 2014 badge preregistration for Comic-Con will not occur in November. EPIC registration is fine tuning the process and needs a little more time to make sure everything is in order. As soon as we have a better idea of the timeline we will let everyone know at least 48 hours prior to preregistration going live. So in the meantime, please relax and enjoy your upcoming Thanksgiving weekend!

And while the team at EPIC Registration is working hard this weekend, here are some steps you can take to get ready for the big day.

1. Confirm that you are eligible to participate in badge preregistration.

Log in to your Member ID account by clicking here. If you are eligible to participate you will see a message on your homepage that says, “You are eligible to participate in Comic-Con 2014 Attendee badge preregistration.” For eligibility information, please click here.

2. Check your Membership Type.

While logged in to your Member ID account, confirm that your Membership Type is correct. This information is found in the “Change My Preferences/Unsubscribe” section. If you are a junior, senior, or member of the military, make sure that your Membership Type reflects this status so you are shown the available discounts on the day of the sale. If your Membership Type is listed as “Adult,” you will not receive the discount.

3. Do not “opt-out” of emails from Comic-Con.

This information is found in the "Change My Preferences/Unsubscribe" section once you have logged in to your Member ID account. If you have selected to “opt-out” of email notifications from Comic-Con, you will not be notified of the preregistration sale date and time.

4. Double check your EPIC login information.

Once you are logged in to your account, select the “Show My Info” option. Your personal registration login info will be displayed at the top of the gray box. Be sure to use this information only when logging in to the EPIC registration system. Even if your last name is spelled incorrectly, enter the login info exactly as shown on the sale day or you may get locked out! You may change the spelling of your name after the sale.
                      - See more at: http://www.comic-con.org/toucan/comi....RBtAmo5g.dpuf

Comment

Was this via email? I don't recall receiving one.

Comment

No email. Received it on Twitter.

Comment

Comic-Con International 2014 Preregistration Update 2 - See more at: http://www.comic-con.org/toucan/comi....4hEy4q7m.dpuf

We want to thank all of the eligible preregistration attendees for their continued patience while we fine-tune the online registration system. Although we have been working around the clock with EPIC Registration, there is still room for improvement. Because we want to have as fully developed a product as possible we have decided to postpone Comic-Con 2014 badge preregistration until early next year.

We know this is a disappointment and are sincerely sorry for the delay. However it really is our hope to avoid some of the issues we’ve had in the past and the additional time will allow us and EPIC to best address those issues.

Here are some of the new features we are trying to implement in hopes of creating a smoother process for 2014 preregistration:

A shopping cart!

The new EPIC shopping cart should allow you to hold available badge inventory for all members of your party during your registration session.

Single session purchasing!

In the old EPIC Registration system, attendees had to purchase their badge first and then start the entire process all over again for their next guest. Now, when you begin your online registration session you will enter the number of people you are buying badges for and on the following page all available badge inventory should be held for each member of your party. You will not have to make a second purchase!

Landing page validation!

In the past, non-members and ineligible attendees could access the landing page and waiting room, potentially taking up space in line that should be reserved for eligible participants. In order to keep non-members and ineligible attendees out of the waiting room, we are implementing a unique registration code that must be entered prior to arriving at the landing page. This means that only eligible attendees (and possibly a few muggles) will be able to access the landing page and attempt to gain entry into the waiting room.

Extensive load-testing!

Have you ever tried to shove 100,000 jellybeans through a funnel all at once? The experienced engineers at Web Performance are virtually attempting just that, by following time-proven load-testing methodologies. Extensive load-testing in advance will not only give us information about EPIC’s user capacity, but also pinpoint potential problem areas.

We are thankful that so many of you offer feedback on what does and does not work. We value that information and are working to address many of those issues. Unfortunately, we are still faced with the problem of having more demand than badge availability. We hope these new features will help alleviate some of the more difficult parts of the badge purchase experience.

Thank you for sticking with us through this process and we hope to have more information for you after the New Year.

Happy Holidays from the Comic-Con team!

Comment

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/2014-cc...reregistration

COMIC-CON INTERNATIONAL 2014 DATES: JULY 24-27 • PREVIEW NIGHT: JULY 23
                              Comic-Con is working hard to improve the online registration system and will launch Comic-Con 2014 badge preregistration sometime in early 2014. Only those that have purchased a Comic-Con 2013 4-Day attendee or 1-Day attendee badge, have a valid Member ID, and retain their actual Comic-Con 2013 badge* will be eligible to participate in 2014 badge preregistration. Professionals, guests of professionals, exhibitors, exhibitor purchased attendee badges, volunteers, staff, and press will not be allowed to participate in badge preregistration. Open online registration for the general public and all categories listed above will occur at a later date. If you did not attend Comic-Con 2013, you may participate in open online registration later this year.

Eligible attendees will be notified via email with badge preregistration instructions and information at least 48 hours prior to the sale. The notification will be sent to the email associated with your Member ID account.
                              Please be sure to "opt-in" to e-mail correspondence to receive the badge preregistration announcement. To check your Member ID notification “opt-outs,” log in to your account here and select the option “Change my preferences/unsubscribe.”
                              COMIC-CON 2014 PRICES
                              BADGE TYPE Adult Junior** U.S. Military /
                              Senior**
                              Preview Night $35.00 $16.00 $16.00
                              Thursday $45.00 $23.00 $23.00
                              Friday $45.00 $23.00 $23.00
                              Saturday $45.00 $23.00 $23.00
                              Sunday $30.00 $15.00 $15.00
                              **Children 12 and under are free with a paying adult. Juniors 13 -17 pay junior prices. Seniors 60 years or older pay the Military/Senior reduced price. Active Military with ID pay the Military/Senior price. This deal does not extend to dependents.

We strongly suggest that you log in to your Member ID account and check your current “Membership Type.” If you are a senior or member of the military, please be sure to update your Membership Type before preregistration to be eligible for the reduced badge price.

New for 2014! Only single day badges will be sold. The Preview Night badge option may only be purchased if you buy a Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday badge. Preview Night is not a stand alone badge option. As in 2013, anyone who purchases a Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday badge will have the option of consolidating them into one 4-Day badge onsite.

During preregistration you may purchase badges for up to three people total, yourself included.

Your guest(s) must be eligible for preregistration and they must have their own unique Comic-Con Member ID.
                              You will need the Member ID and last name for all individuals you are purchasing for.

*As a one-time courtesy, Comic-Con International will automatically enter your 2013 badge code for this year’s preregistration event.This one-time courtesy will apply to Comic-Con 2014 preregistration only. Attendees will be required to keep their physical Comic-Con 2014 badge and badge code to be eligible for Comic-Con 2015 preregistration. Please be sure not to sell, trade, or give away your Comic-Con 2014 badge or badge code, or you may not be eligible for 2015 preregistration.

While Comic-Con has made every effort to make the badge purchase experience fair for everyone, it is possible that problems outside of our control could result in the system not working as planned. The possibility exists that anti-virus, anti-spyware, and anti-malware software may aggressively block browser cookies, JavaScript, or other operation of modern web applications. It is also possible that user error, specific hardware problems, local ISP issues, or simply the extremely high level of demand beyond our control may result in your computer and/or browser not behaving as described above. While Comic-Con has done extensive testing, we make no guarantees that your efforts will result in a successful badge purchase regardless of when you enter the process.

- See more at: http://www.comic-con.org/cci/2014-cc....EsaxdyMk.dpuf

Comment

It's interesting they do not offer a four day badge anymore. I if it's design to allow more people to register or have a shot a preview night.

Comment

Working...
                                X