No announcement yet.

Son of Classic Horror Films (50s & 60s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't remember this specific one and it probably doesn't apply in this case, but in a lot of modern instances we see wires in old movies because we're watchging the restored film in a much higher resolution than it would have originally been shown in.

Comment

• Here is the second and final part of Dark Corner's history of Hammer's Frankenstein series. I now realize, to my surprise, that there is actually a Hammer Frank movie I haven't seen---Horror of Frankenstein. Annoyingly, Netflix doesn't have it on disc or streaming. Still, they make it sound like the worst (and the only Cushing-less one) of the series, so maybe I'm spared.

+ YouTube Video
      ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
      Space Cop
      The Dandy
      Last edited by Space Cop; 01-28-2018, 04:35 AM.

Comment

• Going to watch that now. I recently watched the one Cinemassacre did and t was pretty good. Got to love the Hammer line of horror movies!

Comment

• That video WAS pretty good. Thanks for posting that Space Cop.

Comment

• So, sparked by Agent's reviews, over the past couple weeks I re-watched all 3 Creature from the Black Lagoon movies again, the MST3K episode for #2, the making of feature, then watched them all again with commentary.

Some fun things: in #1, when the Rita actually enters the lagoon you can clearly see a telephone poll in the background (in this deep-jungle land that time forgot).

In #2 they toyed with the idea of a Gillwoman before deciding there was enough going on. They thought they might base her look on the earlier rejected, simpler Gillman costume design from #1 (see third head in pic).

In #3, Ricou Browning (the underwater Gillman) only had to wear the evolved Gillman suit for the drowning scene. Consequently, they didn't make him a separate one despite Browning being much smaller than the other stuntman. This results in two noticeable changes. (1) Gillman lost a lot of weight in the midsection under water. (2) A lot more bubbles leave the top of his head because the over-sized mask filled with air.

Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 02-05-2018, 04:49 AM.

Comment

• Just watched Bug (1975). This one could only be a 70s movie: in a rural California town an earthquake unleashes cockroaches that start fires and feed off the ashes.

The movie is strange (besides that pitch) in that the point you'd think it would end (solution to the problem) is little more than half way through and then it switches to mad scientist mode. So, it has that Full-Metal-Jacket vibe of being two movies meshed into one, but without a Kubrick to mold it as artistically.

Probably only Agent would watch this one. I don't exactly recommend it, but personally it was worth a single watch. They do a decent job of explaining how the bugs do what they do and why they haven't been seen before (as opposed to just glossing over that like a lot of crazy-nature films).

One cringing moment involves a cat that gets attacked, but I found this report that puts me more at ease:

Many viewers of this movie have concerns that the cat was actually burned and killed for the film. But an article in the Ludington Daily News from September 11, 1975 explains that while some animals were still being hurt and killed in the name of movie-making this film wasn’t one of them. The American Humane Society’s Hollywood representative at the time, Harold Melnicker, was quoted as saying that the movie Bug was approved by the AHA. “It looks as if the cat is going up in smoke but it was all simulated.”
              Space Cop
              The Dandy
              Last edited by Space Cop; 03-24-2018, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• That's basically an early preview of Lavalantula, which was Syfy Channel's idea for Police Academy 8 (I shit you not, Micheal Winslow and Steve Gutenberg are in it).
                Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• I watched Abby 1974.

This was a clear blaxploitation (William 'Blacula' Marshall even plays the father/exorcist character) rip-off of The Exorcist, but at least they didn't call it "Blaxorcist."

It follows a lot of the same beats, but the demon (African god/devil) purposely picks the daughter-in-law of the divinity/African professor (Marshall), who happens to be a pastor's wife.

Funny enough, although the god is a sex god, it seems less foul-mouthed and hard-edged than Pazuzu. It was alright for what it was. It seems weird that although most people do notice Abby's non-pastor's-wife behavior no one seems to notice her demon voice (which is just like Pazuzu's).

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                  That's basically an early preview of Lavalantula, which was Syfy Channel's idea for Police Academy 8 (I shit you not, Micheal Winslow and Steve Gutenberg are in it).
                  If those SyFy movies just didn't have so much stupid CGI, a concept like that would be a no-brainer for me.

Comment

• Guy clears out parents' attic after dad dies, discovers old briefcase wherein from 1954-57 his mother was pen pals with Peter Cushing

Comment

• So my mom had asked me recently to look for an old scary film she saw, wherein the main man wore a pair of dark glasses and took them off at the end to reveal very freaky eyes.

Turns out it was The Man with X-Ray Eyes (1963, Ray Millan). She's gonna try to find it on Netflix, but even if it isn't, I think I'll hunt this down because it sounds pretty good.

Comment

• ^It's on Youtube, or was about a month ago when I watched it.

Comment

• It's still up there, so I guess I know what I'm watching this weekend (on top of all the shit I already have to watch).

Comment

• Pharaoh's Curse (1957)

Saw it suggested on the sidebar while watching another flick on YouTube, decided to check it out. Two uploads of it, so I went with the longer (1h22m) and got a bizarre version: there's an obvious portion missing and then the remainder of the film has the audio skipped forward so that it's several seconds ahead of what you're seeing. Go with the 1h5m version if you want to see this.

Plot is that British soldiers are under attack from outraged locals over a dig, and the latest trip out there runs into unusual problems (supplies vanishing, a woman insisting they need to turn back, an unknown age-advancing illness plaguing a man). Turns out the tomb is cursed and the illness is turning the affected man into a living mummy who needs to drain the blood of the living to go on at all (so basically Dracula and Imhotep had a kid).

Even if watching the better upload, I can't say this is anything special. It is incredibly by-the-numbers, not terrible but not worth spending much effort on. Easy pass.

Comment

• ^I've seen that and was also unimpressed, though not so much that I couldn't finish it or anything.

Comment

• Witchfinder General (1968)

"May God have mercy on us all."

A corrupt witch-hunter (Vincent Price) and his sadistic assistant travel the English countryside during the civil war of Oliver Cromwell, executing people accused of consorting with the Devil and earning ill pay. They cross a line when they hang a priest and sexually abuse his niece, earning the wrath of a Roundhead soldier (Ian Ogilvy) as he attempts to hunt them down and make them pay.

I gotta say, the location shots (especially the wide-open country) are gorgeous. You also get the period costumes, which are pretty well done and don't look especially ridiculous (I have never liked those big frill rings that the upper classes wore around their necks, like white straw hats pushed too far down).

While Ogilvy is great as the dashing protagonist driven to revenge, and Price and Robert Russell (Stearne) are positively chilling as ruthless sadists, I think the real star is the atmosphere. You get this dark, bloody story of lies, murder, desperate hope, and violent revenge, and it has some serious historical precedence. The ending was entirely appropriate, and exactly the spot I pulled the quote from; nothing sums up the grimdark like that sentence.

A chilling and morbid tale, but absolutely worth seeing.

Comment

Working...
                                X