The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 3
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 3
View Poll Results: Should Kyle and Jade's relationship have ended?
No, they worked too well together! 34 54.84%
Yes, the writer's got it right! Let's trust DC forever! 28 45.16%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2010, 01:59 AM   #51
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by missferris View Post
So, in the end, I think that's why a lot of fans are still stuck in the past when it comes to kyle's relationships. Neither ended organically or naturally and both had very unsatisfying resolutions.
A Kyle story that didn't occur organically or naturally and had an unsatisfying payoff???

PERISH THE THOUGHT!!!
Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:40 AM   #52
missferris
Senior Corps Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
A Kyle story that didn't occur organically or naturally and had an unsatisfying payoff???

PERISH THE THOUGHT!!!
Shut up! Your dickery is not allowed to be correct!!
missferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:41 AM   #53
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Shut up! Your dickery is not allowed to be correct!!
DICKERY UBER ALLES!!!
Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:00 AM   #54
The_Mad_Dragon
Captain Pervert

Send a message via AIM to The_Mad_Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to The_Mad_Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaegrin View Post
I hated Jade for cheating on Kyle with that stupid chump. But then again, I felt a thousand times more invested in Kyle's relationship with Jade than his relationship with Soranik. Jade is far and away a better character and that relationship was far and away more interesting and compelling.

I miss Jade.

Oh well, maybe Soranik will grow on me.
Tis better to blame the writer.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #55
jGLZa
Guy's Drinking Buddy

Me too, I prefer Donna as a character and I really liked her with Kyle.
But ultimately I dont think they a good match. Donna is to strong willed for Kyle... or maybe that is what he needs in his life, then he would stop freaking crying!
Old 03-18-2010, 10:55 AM   #56
missferris
Senior Corps Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL.Za View Post
Me too, I prefer Donna as a character and I really liked her with Kyle.
But ultimately I dont think they a good match. Donna is to strong willed for Kyle... or maybe that is what he needs in his life, then he would stop freaking crying!
Ultimately, it's easy for fans to reason why any character would be good for another character. Soranik Natu is rational and grounds Kyle and is also maturely devoted to him, while Kyle gets her to open up and trust more. Alexandra DeWitt was motivated and understanding and got Kyle to become more responsible. Jade meshed well with Kyle and had a lot of fun with him, they were good partners and she was always willing to understand him (up until she cheated on him due to rushed writing decisions). Jade had a strong thing going with him, and they went through a lot together.

The reason I think Donna was a good and interesting match for Kyle was their matching passion and compassion. Both were incredibly sensitive, had similar interests and Donna was a lot like Alex in some ways. She kept Kyle in line, telling him to finish his projects when he was procrastinating, urging him to be on time for training sessions, mediating between Kyle and his Mother and helping to repair their relationship, stuff like that. Meanwhile, Kyle was patient with Donna's baggage and in return was comforted by her when he was grieving for alex, and then later when his Mother died.

Donna had that jealous blow up, but really that was their only fight, and it was such an ordinary couple fight. Hurt words were slung, they apologized and made up, so on.

Ultimately she hurt Kyle in the sense that she pulled away when she suffered a great tragedy, not wanting to burden him or hurt him. Kyle on the other hand flings himself into vaginas when he's depressed. He loves love, as he said. Kyle could have taught Donna to trust and open up more, but editorial didn't have that in mind.

Ultimately if you had a good writer who knew how to not destroy Donna's character, they'd be a great match for a relationship or at least a friendship. I also think that Jennie would be great for him in a friendship or relationship, and both pairings seemed to really stick with the fans. Jennie and Kyle had great chemistry, they had a lot of fun together.

I hope he doesn't avoid interaction with both of them forever. His relationships with his exes are very complex and interesting to explore, unfortunately they are usually and recently boiled down to in writing "I KILLED ALL OF MY EXES" or "I need to move on", repeat repeat recycle, rather than actually focusing on memories and dynamics and positive lessons.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #57
torchtoucher

Quote:
Ultimately, it's easy for fans to reason why any character would be good for another character. Soranik Natu is rational and grounds Kyle and is also maturely devoted to him, while Kyle gets her to open up and trust more. Alexandra DeWitt was motivated and understanding and got Kyle to become more responsible. Jade meshed well with Kyle and had a lot of fun with him, they were good partners and she was always willing to understand him (up until she cheated on him due to rushed writing decisions). Jade had a strong thing going with him, and they went through a lot together.

The reason I think Donna was a good and interesting match for Kyle was their matching passion and compassion. Both were incredibly sensitive, had similar interests and Donna was a lot like Alex in some ways. She kept Kyle in line, telling him to finish his projects when he was procrastinating, urging him to be on time for training sessions, mediating between Kyle and his Mother and helping to repair their relationship, stuff like that. Meanwhile, Kyle was patient with Donna's baggage and in return was comforted by her when he was grieving for alex, and then later when his Mother died.

Donna had that jealous blow up, but really that was their only fight, and it was such an ordinary couple fight. Hurt words were slung, they apologized and made up, so on.

Ultimately she hurt Kyle in the sense that she pulled away when she suffered a great tragedy, not wanting to burden him or hurt him. Kyle on the other hand flings himself into vaginas when he's depressed. He loves love, as he said. Kyle could have taught Donna to trust and open up more, but editorial didn't have that in mind.

Ultimately if you had a good writer who knew how to not destroy Donna's character, they'd be a great match for a relationship or at least a friendship. I also think that Jennie would be great for him in a friendship or relationship, and both pairings seemed to really stick with the fans. Jennie and Kyle had great chemistry, they had a lot of fun together.

I hope he doesn't avoid interaction with both of them forever. His relationships with his exes are very complex and interesting to explore, unfortunately they are usually and recently boiled down to in writing "I KILLED ALL OF MY EXES" or "I need to move on", repeat repeat recycle, rather than actually focusing on memories and dynamics and positive lessons.
I agree. And Donna is the hottest imo.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:39 PM   #58
Onabyrcse
Corpse Trainee

I believe that Kyle & Jen were doing great together till (due tue editorial reasons), Kyle decided to stay in space & blah blah all has been said... , except that by the time they decided to send Kyle to space & make John our residente lantern (nothing against Stewart), was when they launched the JLA animeted series adn they used him instead of black lightning because they needed a colored guy in the show to be "politcaly correct" + a GL.

Would i like them to be together, YES i would. Do i think they should be together after what's happened in the story, I don't think so. Kyle doesn't want tat kind of baggage, if it had been something else i believe they could work it out, but I believe Kyle has a lot of self respaect & he will forgive jenny from tha bottom of his heart; but he wouldn't be able to trust her like he used to. Just ask his mother how many years it took for them to get together and past all the trust issues.
Onabyrcse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:40 AM   #59
archer
Corps Recruit

Honestly, I didn't like Jade that much. XD Soranik is ok. Can't say much for Donna since I really haven't read about her that much.
archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:57 PM   #60
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

It's almost like Ross and Rachel. You want to see them together, but you also like the drama of them not being together.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #61
Abin Surly
or ewe sirius

The "father-in-law-from-hell" (Sinestro) scenario certainly has more potential for story-telling than the alternative of hanging out with the "father-in-law with the underdeveloped personality" (Alan Scott).
Old 06-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #62
missferris
Senior Corps Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abin Surly View Post
The "father-in-law-from-hell" (Sinestro) scenario certainly has more potential for story-telling than the alternative of hanging out with the "father-in-law with the underdeveloped personality" (Alan Scott).
Why would you want such a cliche, sitcom-esque trope thrown into Kyle's development and interaction? How long can that go on without Sinestro being totally OOC? Sinestro killed Kyle's mother. It's not like they could have fun jolly adventures while they begrudgingly respect each other and the audience laughs in the background. Kyle hates Sinestro. Sinestro hates Kyle. It's not sitcom "hate" where it's humorous. It's serious, and any "LULZ" situations that will arise would exhaust and get tiresome quickly.

ALSO HDU INSULT ALAN SCOTT
Old 06-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #63
missferris
Senior Corps Member

Kyle's relationship with Donna shouldn't have ended, but it did, and it ended poorly. Kyle's relationship with Jade shouldn't have ended, but it did, and it ended poorly. Kyle is now with Natu but it's at a point where I care very little about him at the moment and Ialso care very little about Natu so ...they are a perfect match I can be apathetic toward.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:27 AM   #64
redjirachi
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Quote:
Kyle should be with Donna or Jade. He's a thousand times more fun with them. This isn't even just a nostalgia's sake thing. They are both better than Natu and their vaginas smell better. Jade's smells like fresh veggies and Donna's sparkles.

And besides,how do you know what Natu's vagina smells like?For all we know Korugarians could have slightly altered genitals to humans.Also,how is Arin Sur and Thaal Sinestro genetically compatible when her nephew got his head blown off and it grew back
redjirachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:18 PM   #65
Shingo Wol

This thread is going down a dark... dark... road.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:31 AM   #66
The_Mad_Dragon
Captain Pervert

Send a message via AIM to The_Mad_Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to The_Mad_Dragon

Begining to wish I never made it.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:38 AM   #67
Abin Surly
or ewe sirius

Miss Ferris, I was not referring to a laugh-track driven sitcom sort of situation but rather thinking in terms of something along the lines of Sophocles or Shakespeare. Also, I was not insulting Alan Scott, but rather the majority of the writers that have not given his personality more than two dimensions.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #68
missferris
Senior Corps Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abin Surly View Post
Miss Ferris, I was not referring to a laugh-track driven sitcom sort of situation but rather thinking in terms of something along the lines of Sophocles or Shakespeare. Also, I was not insulting Alan Scott, but rather the majority of the writers that have not given his personality more than two dimensions.

Yes, because DC Comics often treats drama and melodrama with the care of such classics...

That cliche is just as terrible. People should want Natu with Kyle because she is good with him and makes him just as happy as Jade did, not because of whose magical evil sperm created her. I really don't understand the logic of "This is interesting because her father is interesting." Darkseid could secretly have a daughter and Dick Grayson could date her, and she could have the personality of Lindsay Lohan for all we know and it doesn't make her interesting -- scratch that. That would be way more interesting than Natu and Kyle. But the quality of the relationship, compatibility, and personality dynamics are what will make something last. Not a device that will exhaust itself after a storyline or two, and just be yet another repeated device for Kyle, something his character suffers from like crazy. I get that people want him to be important again, and screwing a main villain's daughter is sadly the only way people think that can happen and keep him tied to big plots, lol. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Also you did insult Alan Scott... and now you must pay the price. Which is ....no price at all because this is a message board and I do not care that much...

Last edited by missferris; 06-14-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #69
Onabyrcse
Corpse Trainee

Weeeell taking to account that Siniestro did kill Kyle's mom, I don't think Kyle should be with her at all. Kyle's the earth's GL with more heart & feelings and I don't think that he could be with her at all.

Buuuut we know Johns & the rest don't give a crap about Kyle's development as a character so we have this relationship.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #70
Power Ring
Torch Bearer

So, why aren't you guys complaining about Kyle and Donna breaking up? While I wanted to like Jade, she's nowhere as interesting as Sinestro's kid. And man, I'm def hanging around to see Kyle's face when that little bombshell is dropped on him.

edit: Ok, posted after first page, and now I see some of you ARE discussing the Donna/Kyle thing. She was way hotter than Jade. :P

-"My objection to religious belief is not that it is universally harmful but, simply, that it is false."

Last edited by Power Ring; 06-14-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Power Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #71
Abin Surly
or ewe sirius

Quote:
Also you did insult Alan Scott... and now you must pay the price. Which is ....no price at all because this is a message board and I do not care that much...

Thank you, Miss Ferris...May I have another?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:16 PM   #72
missferris
Senior Corps Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onabyrcse View Post
Weeeell taking to account that Siniestro did kill Kyle's mom, I don't think Kyle should be with her at all. Kyle's the earth's GL with more heart & feelings and I don't think that he could be with her at all.

Buuuut we know Johns & the rest don't give a crap about Kyle's development as a character so we have this relationship.

While Kyle should always loathe Sinestro with his entire being, I don't think he'd hold it against the woman he loves. He's not that type of guy. She can't help who her father is.

Quote:
So, why aren't you guys complaining about Kyle and Donna breaking up? While I wanted to like Jade, she's nowhere as interesting as Sinestro's kid. And man, I'm def hanging around to see Kyle's face when that little bombshell is dropped on him.

edit: Ok, posted after first page, and now I see some of you ARE discussing the Donna/Kyle thing. She was way hotter than Jade. :P
I'd love for Kyle and Donna to get back together, but that's most likely not going to happen. But I definitely liked Kyle more with Jade than with Natu, though as long as he's written ICly again and in ways I like, I don't care if he's with Sinestro or Saint Walker in the next arc.

It's sad that the Jade and Donna ships have sailed, but they should just get together with each other instead

Quote:
Thank you, Miss Ferris...May I have another?
It's not fun if you WANT it.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #73
redjirachi
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Just because she's from Sinestro's loins changes their relationship.Cassie dated Superboy even though he's half Luthor,half Superman(the fangirls squeal).Orion was dating and she didn't mind his dad was Darkseid.The Titans don't mind Ravager being Deathstroke's child.Oh,and even though Raven's father is the Azarathian version of Satan
redjirachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #74
Onabyrcse
Corpse Trainee

We should have Kyle a title written by Marz he is the guy that can get us character development & action stories all in one awsome GL title.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #75
Power Ring
Torch Bearer

Quote:

It's sad that the Jade and Donna ships have sailed, but they should just get together with each other instead
Now that's a comic i'd pay to "read" :P

-"My objection to religious belief is not that it is universally harmful but, simply, that it is false."
Power Ring is offline   Reply With Quote