The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Action Figures & Toys
FLASHCHAT

Action Figures and Toys

Old 02-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #26
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
I have all of the Super Powers Collection, but I still think an homage is a waste.

I don't see the Riddler in there...

Seeing as you have the rest, would you have been more interested in a straight-up reproduction of the old Riddler fig, as opposed to a modernized homage, to fill that "gap"?
Old 02-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #27
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
True that,It was super sad. Goon help is hard to find . You know what they say. Here today Goon tomrow.
Indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myuserid View Post
It's not a submarine, yet is filled with seamen.
A BOAT, A BOAT!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:11 PM   #28
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I don't see the Riddler in there...

Seeing as you have the rest, would you have been more interested in a straight-up reproduction of the old Riddler fig, as opposed to a modernized homage, to fill that "gap"?
My villains with Darkseid and 3 Parademons are in another photo somewhere on my Asylum page, I think. I never really cared for the villains from this set, and didn't display them all.

Just as an FYI, Mattel made two other Riddler figures in previous sets. One had a hat and the other was the version from the Legion of Doom, which I was completely satisfied with. I thought the other homage figures (Black Vulcan, Apache Chief, Samurai, ElDorado, Wonder Twins) were great, but this is just stupid.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:06 PM   #29
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

I like the Kenner line. I got some good memories with that. It's just so hard to not hate on Mattel these days. they barley said anything about the DC toys hitting the mainstream market and just pimped thier special market crap.

Something I would buy though. would be repaints of the JLU figures in superfriends cards,or just new cards. I would make them Target exclusives because Target has gone out of thier way to keep the DCU alive in thier toy isles.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:06 AM   #30
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Too many guys at Mattel had a hard on for recreating the Super Powers and Super Friends lines. Seriously, teams didn't get finished because precious spots got hogged up by...the Golden Pharaoh? Cyclotron? Really?

Whatever. Mattel can blame the fans all they want for the death of that line, but they did it themselves.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:10 PM   #31
packerbacker
Banned

I had this a a kid,I will definitely be picking 1 or2 up.
packerbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #32
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
Too many guys at Mattel had a hard on for recreating the Super Powers and Super Friends lines. Seriously, teams didn't get finished because precious spots got hogged up by...the Golden Pharaoh? Cyclotron? Really?

Whatever. Mattel can blame the fans all they want for the death of that line, but they did it themselves.
True words--Mattel left a lot of money out there by not delving into DC's extensive pulpy past in favor of the Super Friends influence. Where are my 6" Hannu and Lyssa Drak figures, Mattel?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbacker View Post
I had this a a kid,I will definitely be picking 1 or2 up.
I have no interest in the Riddler, but the Golden Supes and the Kalibak CNC repaint are tempting.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #33
Lantern2814.20850
Green Lantern

Quote:
[COLOR="Lime"]
"I have an eye that I can't see with, and a head I can't think with. I live with two nuts, my closest neighbor is an a$$hole and my best friend is a pu$$y. Who am I?"
A Sexual Harassment lawsuit!
Old 03-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #34
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

I am kinda glad DCUC came to an end. They never really made anything I wanted,and when they did it was a pain in the butt to get my hands on the characters that were worth my time. Plus I hate to much articulation,as any collector should know that is just way more joints to become loose and make your figures fall flat on thier face,while decreasing the over all value.

Let's call the Super powers line out for what it is. A way to charge the same amount, if not of money for a repainted product.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:41 PM   #35
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
...Plus I hate to much articulation,as any collector should know that is just way more joints to become loose and make your figures fall flat on thier face,while decreasing the over all value...
I've had to repair so many figs because their articulation made them lean too much and the slightest bump or dusting sends them plummeting to the ground.
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
—Isaiah 9:6
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #36
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
I am kinda glad DCUC came to an end. They never really made anything I wanted,and when they did it was a pain in the butt to get my hands on the characters that were worth my time. Plus I hate to much articulation,as any collector should know that is just way more joints to become loose and make your figures fall flat on thier face,while decreasing the over all value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I've had to repair so many figs because their articulation made them lean too much and the slightest bump or dusting sends them plummeting to the ground.
Just a few suggestions from collector to collector:

Never articulate your figs, especially the knee & ankle joints. Posing them for photos/videos might be cool at the time, but it loosens the pegs.

"Boil & freeze" can fix just about any joint problem. With DCUC/Legends/Direct/Select, dipping the figure in hot water (but not too hot, or it might affect the paint app), drying it, then putting it in the freezer for 10 minutes or so will tighten the plastic.

You can purchase bases/stands on Ebay for minimal amounts. DC Direct bases work with most DCUC figures as well. If the figure is old or the joints can't be fixed by B&F or a peg base, then waist-gripper/waist-clench stands can be bought for minimal amounts, too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Black-Act...item58ad783d83

Last edited by Big Blue Lantern; 03-26-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Big Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:42 PM   #37
Space Cop
The Dandy

Interesting. I might try the clamp stands for some oldies.
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:45 PM   #38
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:

Let's call the Super powers line out for what it is. A way to charge the same amount, if not of money for a repainted product.
I'm sad DCUC came to an end. Even thought they consistently made figures that I didn't care about, it gave me a reason to stroll down the toy aisle at Target just to see what's new. In addition, you can't be mad at the two GL-centered sets that gave us Kilowog and Stel BAF's. I agree about the Super Powers line, though. It's a cheap way to make money on repainted crap.

I would consider getting some of those stands if they were clear plastic.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:11 PM   #39
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
I'm sad DCUC came to an end. Even thought they consistently made figures that I didn't care about, it gave me a reason to stroll down the toy aisle at Target just to see what's new. In addition, you can't be mad at the two GL-centered sets that gave us Kilowog and Stel BAF's. I agree about the Super Powers line, though. It's a cheap way to make money on repainted crap.

I would consider getting some of those stands if they were clear plastic.
Yes I can Build a figure is one of the most terriable ideas ever. If you buy all 7 of the figures in our crappy lineinstead of just the 2 cool ones,you can then have a figure that should have been in the line in the first place. Kilowag should have been in the line in the first place!

But here is how Mattel will try to bullshit around it." Well that figure is just to big to be set at a decent price point. Or the other excuse that cahracter is just not popular enough to warrent a release the main line.

Bull crap. Killo does not rank important enough yet Superfriends Toy man does. Oh It is to large to put a fair price point, That's tell that to my giant Hal Jordan you guys hocked to me,and he is way bigger then the BAF kilo.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:49 PM   #40
Jack T. Chance
Really knows where his towel is!

Location: The Planet Garnet, AKA "Hellhole", Space Sector 0017
Exclamation

Quote:
I have all of the Super Powers Collection, but I still think an homage is a waste.

I am totally jealous now! (I totally wanted that sweet, sweet, vac-metalized Cyborg figure, but he was impossible to find in stores! )

Also, you seem to be missing every single one of the villains! Who's the JLA supposed to fight if you have no villains?

Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 03-26-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Jack T. Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:42 AM   #41
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

DCUC was the greatest comic book figure line ever produced.

I doubt we will ever see the scope that was done there ever again. Consistent style, articulation, and scale. I started off as a Doubting Thomas because I didn't care for some of the excessive articulation, but what I got out of character selection made me buy into the line over time.

Near the end when Mattel was running on fumes, they were producing figures I didn't need for my own collection so it really wasn't breaking the bank for me. After they scratched the living hell out of my GL itch, I just wanted my teams finished. Where they abandoned teams like the JSA, Metal Men and the Doom Patrol, I commissioned some really nice customs to bring those teams to a close.

I'm actually almost at the point where I can say all my collections are where I want them, and stop collecting comic book toys forever. I'll miss the DCUC line in its heyday though!
Old 03-27-2014, 04:40 AM   #42
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Yes I can Build a figure is one of the most terriable ideas ever. If you buy all 7 of the figures in our crappy lineinstead of just the 2 cool ones,you can then have a figure that should have been in the line in the first place. Kilowag should have been in the line in the first place!

But here is how Mattel will try to bullshit around it." Well that figure is just to big to be set at a decent price point. Or the other excuse that cahracter is just not popular enough to warrent a release the main line.

Bull crap. Killo does not rank important enough yet Superfriends Toy man does. Oh It is to large to put a fair price point, That's tell that to my giant Hal Jordan you guys hocked to me,and he is way bigger then the BAF kilo.
Or you could just buy the BAF parts on Ebay and buy DC Direct figures for bigger characters like Wog. Although the down side to that is getting stuck chasing a character like Giganta, whose parts are more expensive than most loose DCUC figs.

Also, BAF was originally Toy Biz's idea. Mattel just co-opted it to spread the frustration from Marvel to DC fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
I am totally jealous now! (I totally wanted that sweet, sweet, vac-metalized Cyborg figure, but he was impossible to find in stores! )

Also, you seem to be missing every single one of the villains! Who's the JLA supposed to fight if you have no villains?
An extra Hal...with a dark green cape...and a little repainting.

Quote:
DCUC was the greatest comic book figure line ever produced.

I doubt we will ever see the scope that was done there ever again. Consistent style, articulation, and scale.

I'm actually almost at the point where I can say all my collections are where I want them, and stop collecting comic book toys forever. I'll miss the DCUC line in its heyday though!
DCUC and Marvel Legends have really revolutionized the comic book collectibles market. They have proved that there is plenty of interest in characters beyond just the marquee heroes and villains. I'm glad DC Direct is still doing a similar scale, but that line is slower on releases and it's often Batman-centric to the point of being redundant.

I envy you being at the point where you are satisfied with your toy collection. I've come to the realization that the only thing that is going to finally curtail my figure collecting is filling up every inch of my nerd cave.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:03 AM   #43
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Well to be honest, my nerd cave is beyond full. I need to take new pics to share with you guys.

It is nice getting to the point where my individual shrines are where I'm happy with them. A lot of the stuff I have there has come together just in the last year. I can go in there, walk around and enjoy looking at everything now for what it IS, and not desiring what I DON'T have.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:22 AM   #44
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Well to be honest, my nerd cave is beyond full. I need to take new pics to share with you guys.

It is nice getting to the point where my individual shrines are where I'm happy with them. A lot of the stuff I have there has come together just in the last year. I can go in there, walk around and enjoy looking at everything now for what it IS, and not desiring what I DON'T have.
I'll be interested to see that. I LOVE seeing the collections of hardcore fans. I plan on taking pics too, but I'm still in the process of getting enough curio cabinets to house all my figs. That's going to take awhile because those things aren't cheap.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #45
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

I am sorry but Mattel is like the Evil Empire toy company,They need to do alot to get right with me. Wich is funny because made my favorite toy line Masters of the Univers. Wich I am proud to say My childhood collection is close to being restored.

For 20 bucks you should not have to fix the joints on your figures. They did not create the Build A Figure concept.that is true enough,but they exploited worse then any other company. Their Distribution,is a joke. I can on and on and on. Most collectors or people in the know have strong feelings about Mattel.

As far as DCUC, it was to much money for what was being produced. That line was no stranger to repaints,and In my opinion, if you are a adult collector buy DCD their toys look much better. My buddy hates Mattel and agrees with me on almost all points,but he says he just likes how the DCUC figs look with his Marvel figs of the same size so they have him trapped.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:06 PM   #46
Space Cop
The Dandy

I agree. I don't begrudge the Mattel fans, but I love my DCD Green Lantern stuff. In fact, I don't even have my Mattel SC Batman or Manhunter on display currently because I think they look so much goofier than the DCD stuff.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:51 PM   #47
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
I am sorry but Mattel is like the Evil Empire toy company,They need to do alot to get right with me.
For all my teeth gnashing I did as the end neared and Mattel kept wasting spots in the sub with ridiculous figures instead of finishing what they had started (modern Rocket Red for example), I have to cut them some slack.

Mattel did Kamandi. Adrian Chase Vigilante. Most of the Metal Men. Deadshot. Commander Steel. Gentleman Ghost. They dug pretty deep with character selection for a few years.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:26 AM   #48
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:

For 20 bucks you should not have to fix the joints on your figures. They did not create the Build A Figure concept.that is true enough,but they exploited worse then any other company. Their Distribution,is a joke. I can on and on and on. Most collectors or people in the know have strong feelings about Mattel.
Despite Mattel's quality control on joints, their figs still aren't quite as bad as the early DC Direct waves. I thought I had just gotten a couple of outliers, but tales of DCD's brittle nature is a common topic on figure message boards. I can't even remember all of the "the arm just fell off" or "the knee peg broke and I had to glue the joint" topics I've seen over the years.

Quote:
For all my teeth gnashing I did as the end neared and Mattel kept wasting spots in the sub with ridiculous figures instead of finishing what they had started (modern Rocket Red for example), I have to cut them some slack.

Mattel did Kamandi. Adrian Chase Vigilante. Most of the Metal Men. Deadshot. Commander Steel. Gentleman Ghost. They dug pretty deep with character selection for a few years.
I did a lot of venting about the female figures not having enough diversity in their arm/leg molds and the tiny feet that made them hard to stand. However, for the wide assortment of figures we got, I feel like the positive far outweighed the negatives.