The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Action Figures & Toys
FLASHCHAT

Action Figures and Toys

Old 01-21-2013, 03:00 AM   #1
fightoned
Manhunter Repairman

Default DC Collectibles – Green Lantern Power Battery and Ring Replica Video

So does anyone know the differences between this new DC Collectibles – Green Lantern Power Battery and Ring Replica Video due out May 2013 and the previous two version? It is cheaper than the more recent power battery releases at $200 versus +$300. Not sure if that means the product is poorer or is it better?

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

http://www.dccomics.com/collectibles...g-prop-replica

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/m...-replica-video
fightoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #2
BTomaselli
Corps Honor Guard

Looks like a different paint application - the new one looks to have a matte paint while the old one was a glossy paint.

I'm getting one so can't wait to see it!
Old 02-01-2013, 04:43 AM   #3
CJF28
Fatality's Blacksmith

cant wait to to get it preordered
CJF28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
Malkavian
Kyle's Nude Model

it looks plastic to me
and the precious (glossy) was more metallic.

can somebody tell me what material it's made from?
Old 02-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
fightoned
Manhunter Repairman

Plastic is what I am thinking. I don't know how the are releasing this for almost half the price of recent lanterns by DC Direct. I need more info before I consider buying this.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:58 AM   #6
TorchBearer2814
Corps Honor Guard

i preordered mine but i am unsure as well how they got the price down so much
Old 03-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
ultramangaia66
Corps Recruit

What about the ring? Does the make and design gets worse in subsequent versions? Granted, the metal one was probably the best, but it was only made in size 10.
ultramangaia66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

It is probably cheaper for a few reasons. One being the paint as you have said. Also its about and inch or two smaller than the original one and I dont think this one lights up when you touch the ring to it.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
fightoned
Manhunter Repairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern A-train View Post
It is probably cheaper for a few reasons. One being the paint as you have said. Also its about and inch or two smaller than the original one and I dont think this one lights up when you touch the ring to it.
Ahhh, not lighting up could be a significant part of the price drop. That makes sense. I'll wait and see this in person or read some reviews.

Last edited by fightoned; 03-09-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:10 AM   #10
Emerald Sinner
Kilowog's Recruit

I saw the new green battery at my LCS today and I am
not a fan. The paint is two bright and it feels cheaper
than the prior metallic lanterns.
Emerald Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:05 AM   #11
kdogg87
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

I picked one up today. It does indeed light up...but I have to see if I can return it for credit or something. Mine is...blatently crooked. Like, you lay it on a flat surface, and the top has a solid 15-20 degree slant.
kdogg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
Emerald Sinner
Kilowog's Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg87 View Post
I picked one up today. It does indeed light up...but I have to see if I can return it for credit or something. Mine is...blatently crooked. Like, you lay it on a flat surface, and the top has a solid 15-20 degree slant.
I'm sorry to hear that. For $200, you would think they could make a decent product. I feel that this line of batteries is going to have many quality control problems. The one at my LCS also looked a little asymmetrical too.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #13
fightoned
Manhunter Repairman

Quote:
That is terrible! I still haven't seen one at any store but I did order the blue and orange lanterns because they are unique. I hope they aren't crooked too. Looks like I'll pass on the Green and Yellow lanterns for now.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:06 AM   #14
kdogg87

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightoned View Post
That is terrible! I still haven't seen one at any store but I did order the blue and orange lanterns because they are unique. I hope they aren't crooked too. Looks like I'll pass on the Green and Yellow lanterns for now.
I would go ahead and get them. I went to the store. They had 2 more, and both were fine. Looked like a super-random defect. I bought a second that was just fine, and the store I got the original from said they could give me store cred as long as I had the packaging and receipts (which I do). Overall, it's not a huge deal. I get my pull list from that store, so it just means I won't be paying for comics for a few months. In the end, it'll balance out.

The real lesson is ALWAYS ask the store if you can see it outside of packaging before making your purchase. That's what I did with my second battery, and it's what I'll be doing for the remaining colors. I still want them, but I don't think I'll be mail ordering any of them. After this, I need to be able to see the product in person, outside of the box.

It is fantastic, though. It's a brighter green than the previous release, and I like that.

I wouldn't let this put anybody of getting one. But if possible, I HIGHLY advise getting it from a local comic shop so can inspect it yourself.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:21 AM   #15
TorchBearer2814
Corps Honor Guard

UPS says mine wont be here until july 30. Hoping I get one that isnt defect
Old 07-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #16
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
...But if possible, I HIGHLY advise getting it from a local comic shop so can inspect it yourself.
My LCS only gets those type of high end items for special orders. So you have to order it or not. Somehow, I doubt one of the guys who ordered it would appreciate the clerk opening it for me to look at.
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
—Isaiah 9:6
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #17
kdogg87

The store LCS that can afford it usually put them on display, so you can check them out. I have 3 local shops, and they all let us inspect before buying. It was my fault I didn't crack open the first box.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #18
CJF28
Fatality's Blacksmith

had my online LCS check it before shipping. I should have it by friday of next week. Damn coast-to-coast shipping
Old 07-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #19
nevermore
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Damn I really want this...can't decide if I should get this or a new tat though!

-Henry Adams
nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #20
CJF28
Fatality's Blacksmith

Get this. And the tat later

tats dont have allocations. They will always be available
Old 07-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #21
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I saw one out of the box at a comic store last night. It's not nearly as nice as the one DCD released several years ago. You save money, and it shows. The flat paint is not nearly as attractive as the metallic paint used on earlier models. The old ones could trick you into thinking they were really metal. This looks like cheap plastic to me.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #22
fightoned
Manhunter Repairman

OK, I finally saw one in a display case. It was not crooked. It appears plastic and I'm not sure it is even painted but the color is inserted in the plastic. I have both previous versions of Hal's battery. The metallic paint does look much better but it was also twice the price. I don't need a third one, so I will be passing on this version.

I might get the sinestro yellow battery because the paint job on the version I bought a few years ago is ugly. I don't know what it is about it but I just don't like it. I'll have to see it on display first.

I plan be to get the Orange and Blue batteries because they have never been made before on a 1:1 scale. But I'm a little disappointed that the shapes don't look like the comic versions and more of a simple 're-coloring' of the green battery.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:42 AM   #23
kdogg87

They might look plastic, but they aren't. Cold-cast porcelain. Feels like stone.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #24
Emerald Sinner
Kilowog's Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
I saw one out of the box at a comic store last night. It's not nearly as nice as the one DCD released several years ago. You save money, and it shows. The flat paint is not nearly as attractive as the metallic paint used on earlier models. The old ones could trick you into thinking they were really metal. This looks like cheap plastic to me.
I totally agree. To each is own, but I am not fan of the new batteries. I believe they may be a little smaller than the previous versions too.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #25
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
They might look plastic, but they aren't. Cold-cast porcelain. Feels like stone.
Well that's a poor asthetic choice for DCC to make then. If you're making a prop that is metallic, you want to imitate a metallic look. Don't go out of your way to make it look like it was made out of another material.