The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation

Old 01-06-2016, 04:44 PM   #14601
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I watched Green Lantern over the holidays and while I find the movie one of the worse comic book based films this century, it had a lot potential. The film just dropped the ball in so many places and many of the elements in the movie were repetitive. More importantly, to me, I don't think they did a great job with Hal Jordan.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:39 PM   #14602
Lundonj
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post
I watched Green Lantern over the holidays and while I find the movie one of the worse comic book based films this century, it had a lot potential. The film just dropped the ball in so many places and many of the elements in the movie were repetitive. More importantly, to me, I don't think they did a great job with Hal Jordan.
This is pretty close to my take. And it started with casting Ryan Reynolds as far as mistakes go - he seems more like a fun Kyle type or as he better cast as Deadpool type.

Mark Strong almost saved it with his Sinestro stuff, very cool. 'Wog was cool.

But trying to cram in so much in an intro movie was the biggest mistake to me. Not quite the horror show that some think of it. It was more of a campy 'B' bad sci-fi than the worst ever film. Pretty close, but not the worst ever....

-Don
Old 01-11-2016, 02:13 AM   #14603
CeltiC5-27
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundonj View Post
This is pretty close to my take. And it started with casting Ryan Reynolds as far as mistakes go - he seems more like a fun Kyle type or as he better cast as Deadpool type.
-Don
It didn't start with casting Reynolds, it started when WB had 4 different people write the screenplay. Say what you will about Ryan Reynolds but if you've seen a majority of the films you'll see he actually has some range as a actor, but he's just pretty bad a picking good roles. I think if he had a good script to work with, he would've made a great Hal Jordan. And lets be honest here, keep everything the same with that movie but switch out another actor for Hal. Do you really think it would've been any better?

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527
CeltiC5-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:44 PM   #14604
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltiC5-27 View Post
It didn't start with casting Reynolds, it started when WB had 4 different people write the screenplay. . . And lets be honest here, keep everything the same with that movie but switch out another actor for Hal. Do you really think it would've been any better?
Nope. There might have been someone better, but the faults don't lie primarily with Reynolds and I would have been happy to see him in a better GL movie. I quite like his interactions with Sinestro and with Tom.
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
—Isaiah 9:6
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:53 PM   #14605
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I don't think Reynolds had anything to do with the film's failure. It could have been a great, well made movie with him in it and we'd all be worshipping at Reynolds' altar praising him to this day. It's the editing, pacing, and horrible use of villains. The heavies in the movie were Hector Hammond, who was laughable on screen and every second he appears is death on film, and a giant fart cloud. They didn't make good enough use of the ticking clock threat for the final act of the movie. Some of the sets are cartoony and silly looking and pull me right out of the movie. The CGI wasn't good enough in many areas.

I think ultimately it was a poorly constructed film and THAT was it's biggest flaw. Not the main star.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:50 PM   #14606
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltiC5-27 View Post
It didn't start with casting Reynolds, it started when WB had 4 different people write the screenplay. Say what you will about Ryan Reynolds but if you've seen a majority of the films you'll see he actually has some range as a actor, but he's just pretty bad a picking good roles. I think if he had a good script to work with, he would've made a great Hal Jordan. And lets be honest here, keep everything the same with that movie but switch out another actor for Hal. Do you really think it would've been any better?
Screenplays aren't usually written by committee, no matter how many people get credit. They're usually passed down from one writer to another, because Hollywood thinks that the more people that re-write a script, the better it gets. Which is ridiculous, because by the time a fourth person re-writes a screenplay, much of what got people excited about the first draft has probably been taken out.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:43 PM   #14607
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I would agree that Ryan Reynolds wasn't the main problem with the Green Lantern film. He's just the front man. The film did suffer from a week script and a director that isn't a fanboy, like much most of Marvel's directors that really took personal pride in making the films and understood the source material.

Green Lantern was such a disappointment and a missed opportunity as it could have been a Guardians of the Galaxy type of film, where Hal could have been like a Star Lord, in which Reynolds would have been perfect.

On a superficial level, I hated Reynolds hairstyle as Green Lantern.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:51 PM   #14608
buffalorock
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

On the special they aired last night after The Flash, Kevin Smith prodded Geoff Johns to give him something after they introduced all of the League members in Dawn of Justice. Geoff said the Green Lantern Corps would be coming and they showed off some artwork. I remember seeing Hal and John prominently, though I could be wrong.
buffalorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:40 PM   #14609
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Yeah, most of the artwork, was just covers and panels from the comics only motion animated. But they did show off what looks to be the movie logo.

“Green Lantern Corps” Movie Teased & Logo Revealed by Geoff Johns
Old 01-20-2016, 03:56 PM   #14610
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Glad to see a Green Lantern Corp movie was confirmed last night. Although, I was hoping for an announcement on the actual characters from the GL Corp that would be joining the Justice League and the actors that would play them. I am hoping that it will be Jordan and Stewart, as I imagine a Lethal Weapon type of buddy cop thing with those two.

If there are no announcements for the Green Lantern characters or actors this year by SDCC, I'm thinking they won't appear in the Justice League film set for next year.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:38 PM   #14611
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

If it bombs and Geoff has his name taken off the credits again, remember how deeply involved he was in this.

It looks to me as if they're doing another huge-budget CGI spectacle with lots of funny-looking aliens. And don't be surprised if Parallax is back as the villain.

Hmmm...
Old 01-20-2016, 07:41 PM   #14612
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
If it bombs and Geoff has his name taken off the credits again, remember how deeply involved he was in this.

It looks to me as if they're doing another huge-budget CGI spectacle with lots of funny-looking aliens. And don't be surprised if Parallax is back as the villain.

Hmmm...
All respect, but I'm not sure. Being that the movie is several more years in the making, somehow I think we're going to get effects commensurate with the insanely evolving technology. In other words, at least from an effects perspective, GLS is probably going to be incredible.

I dream of Snyder and Zimmer being involved...
KilowogsDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:43 PM   #14613
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilowogsDisciple View Post
All respect, but I'm not sure. Being that the movie is several more years in the making, somehow I think we're going to get effects commensurate with the insanely evolving technology. In other words, at least from an effects perspective, GLS is probably going to be incredible.

I dream of Snyder and Zimmer being involved...
My point was that the CGI blew the budget of the Green Lantern movie through the roof and helped make it the 11th biggest money-loser of all time -- something that Geoff didn't get blamed for. And I suspect like they're going down the same path with this one.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:59 PM   #14614
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Quote:
My point was that the CGI blew the budget of the Green Lantern movie through the roof and helped make it the 11th biggest money-loser of all time -- something that Geoff didn't get blamed for. And I suspect like they're going down the same path with this one.
I so, SO hope that isn't the case.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:40 AM   #14615
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Quote:

Hmmm...
How do you arrive at these points?
Old 01-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #14616
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
How do you arrive at these points?
If it's about the Corps, then I think the default mode is that it's going to have a lot of funny-looking aliens. It doesn't have to have them, but I think that's the natural tendency for that topic. I think it's going to be "big," with the "vast threat" approach of a DCU event, so there will probably be a lot of CGI-generated alien Lanterns.

Why Parallax? Again, it doesn't have to have him, but look at Hal's rogues gallery. What's there? A lot of bad Silver Age villains from Earth, mainly. Besides Parallax, who is a "cosmic" villain who could threaten the whole Corps? There aren't many. And you've already introduced Parallax in the first movie.

I suppose I'd sum up my guesses by saying that those are most obvious and uncreative things you could do in a GLC movie, so they're probably the most likely. I think the focus is going to be on everything except what really counts, which is getting a good story.

Is that cynical? Yes, it is.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 01-21-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:24 PM   #14617
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Or maybe they'll use the Anti-Monitor or Darkseid as the vast threat. But I expect something along those lines.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:52 PM   #14618
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Quote:
Or maybe they'll use the Anti-Monitor or Darkseid as the vast threat. But I expect something along those lines.
Those would be terrific. Sinestro, with Mark back in the role (he was one of the best parts of the movie, imo)...
Old 01-21-2016, 03:00 PM   #14619
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I still love the buddy cop, Lethal weapon formula idea. Hal and John as the main characters, with other GLs as part of the supporting cast.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:05 PM   #14620
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I still love the buddy cop, Lethal weapon formula idea. Hal and John as the main characters, with other GLs as part of the supporting cast.
Buddy cops need to be mismatched. I don't see a lot of contrast between Hal and John.

Guy and John would work better, especially if you make John nerdish, but Geoff is doing this, so you know it's Geoff's designated "greatest Green Lantern," Hal.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 01-21-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:02 PM   #14621
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Quote:
Buddy cops need to be mismatched. I don't see a lot of contrast between Hal and John.

Guy and John would work better, especially if you make John nerdish, but Geoff is doing this, so you know it's Geoff's designated "greatest Green Lantern," Hal.
Plus, Guy and John have definitely had their share of fistfights. In fact, now that I think of it, they'd be the perfect match.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:28 PM   #14622
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilowogsDisciple View Post
Plus, Guy and John have definitely had their share of fistfights. In fact, now that I think of it, they'd be the perfect match.
But it's Geoff, so that'll never happen.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:36 PM   #14623
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Good thing because I'd much rather it be Hal and John.

Hal and Guy could work too.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:42 PM   #14624
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Good thing because I'd much rather it be Hal and John.

Hal and Guy could work too.
I think Hal and John are the worst combination. As I said, not enough contrast there.

The huge bulk of people who go to this movie won't know jack about John or Guy, and the rest will have pretty much forgotten Hal from the Green Lantern movie. They won't be going to support particular characters who they have a history with. You've got to put something interesting on the screen for them, and in doing that you shouldn't depict two characters who think pretty much the same thing. That's a fundamental principle of writing.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 01-21-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:54 PM   #14625
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Quote:
But it's Geoff, so that'll never happen.
Trey please! The wet blanket is smothering my fanjoy!

Tags
movie