Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #31 PREVIEW
    Writer: Robert Venditti
    Artist: Pat Zircher
    0.00%
    0.00%
    37.50%
    50.00%
    12.50%

So they are undoing Geoff Johns' retcon of his own retcon regarding Hector Hammond? Didn't see that coming.

(Geoff retconned Hector's mutation as being the result of Krolotean experimentation, then retconned that out when he retold Hal's origin, changing the cause of Hector's mutation to be exposure to the drive from Abin Sur's ship. Apparently we're back to the Krolotean explanation...which frankly I find far more interesting than the one from that wholly unnecessary retelling/tweaking of Hal's origin.)

Comment

Patrick Zircher draws the creepiest Hammond yet. It was truly cringe worthy watching him smile like that. Thought this issue was a decent. Its nice to take a break from all the bang bang boom action of the series once in a while. I'm not a fan of random crossovers, but this was handled about as well as possible. Venditti even managed to sneak Carol into the issue...

Comment

Originally posted by W.West View Post
        Patrick Zircher draws the creepiest Hammond yet. It was truly cringe worthy watching him smile like that. ...
        Yeah, he was done well. I liked that too.

Comment

As short as the team-up was, I enjoyed it. I just wish it could've lasted longer. I miss the Earth GL's I actually like not being featured more on Earth and doing things with the other heroes.

~//V\\~

Comment

^Yeah, I always liked Hal-Clark team-ups (maybe especially because it's so rare). That's my favorite and second favorite comic character there, so it's goodness.

Comment

Kyle Rayner back on Earth and interacting with Wally, Roy, and Donna would be the best case scenario for me LOL. Its why I put it in that fanfic I was writing before I got this new job.

I think a change of direction for the GLC related titles could use a shift since the current teams and approaches aren't really pulling the numbers. They've used some big ideas like the GLC vs Starros, Brainiac, etc. and even had EVS on art a few times. The ideas are there, the approach is just all wrong. Even Renegade Hal in the end of the New52's DCYou campaign was selling 32k in the end.

~//V\\~

Comment

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
                I think a change of direction for the GLC related titles could use a shift since the current teams and approaches aren't really pulling the numbers. They've used some big ideas like the GLC vs Starros, Brainiac, etc. and even had EVS on art a few times. The ideas are there, the approach is just all wrong. Even Renegade Hal in the end of the New52's DCYou campaign was selling 32k in the end.
                I agree that DC should do something else with Green Lantern. What they're doing now just isn't drumming up much interest. First and foremost, they should get rid of that Green Lanterns title. Literally NOBODY asked for that, and I think it was only done to indulge/appease Geoff Johns. Green Lantern has too many characters as is, and a big number of them are suffering because of a lame attempt to entrench Geoff Johns' pet Lantern creations. Characters like Guy Gardner and John Stewart really don't have anything good to do, but that's to say nothing of characters like Kilowog and Arisia, who pretty much aren't even around anymore.

One of the biggest problems I have with those Green Lanterns characters is that they seem to me like they were created and used to benefit Geoff Johns (royalties and whatnot) and not the Green Lantern franchise. In fact, they actually harm the Green Lantern franchise, from my point of view. Thus, to me, their creation seems selfish, contrived, unwanted, and unneeded.

After that, well ... Robert Venditti seems like a cool dude, but I think it's time to move him on to something else. I don't believe he was ever really that good a fit for Green Lantern (or The Flash, for that matter). He uses big ideas that may sound epic in a pitch, but the end results always come across as tame and tiny, because he just doesn't seem to know how to deliver on the big ideas. When he tries to introduce new concepts, they usually suck (Emotional Reservoir), and he really hasn't done anything that great with ANY of the characters. He's been on Green Lantern comics for 50+ issues by now, so I think we know what to expect from him at this point, and it's mediocre at best. I actually think this run here, which has been going on since 2013, will actually be thought of in the future as quite possibly the longest stretch of uneventful stuff in Green Lantern publication history. It really doesn't help that the latter part of Geoff Johns' run was also poor and tired.

As for Van Sciver, I think Green Lantern can take him or leave him. Looking at the numbers for Edge of Oblivion and this current title, I don't think he really affects the sales or interest in the titles one way or the other.
                Star-Lantern
                Weaponer of Qward
                Last edited by Star-Lantern; 10-28-2017, 09:14 AM.
                ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Get rid of the higher selling title? Try pitching that to your boss and see how that goes.

Also, no comic should ever be judged on "uneventful stuff". Its all uneventful. Its superhero comics. Tomorrow your favorite could be reduced to a one line throwaway sentence shared by two characters or even written out of existence.

Comment

Actually, Green Lanterns has been the lower selling title since March.
                    mrumsey
                    Fatality's Blacksmith
                    Last edited by mrumsey; 10-30-2017, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by W.West View Post
                      Get rid of the higher selling title? Try pitching that to your boss and see how that goes.
                      -___-
                      Don't really have anything to say to this.

Also, no comic should ever be judged on "uneventful stuff". Its all uneventful. Its superhero comics. Tomorrow your favorite could be reduced to a one line throwaway sentence shared by two characters or even written out of existence.
                      I'm not entirely sure you understood my comment correctly. I don't believe the stories are eventful in the manner of speaking that one wouldn't be missing much if they chose to completely skip them.

In my opinion, there are no especially great stories (only okay at best), no especially great developments for any characters, and no especially captivating concepts introduced or even reworked in an interesting way. Unless, I guess if "Renegade" or "Lights Out" are your cup of tea, in which case I'd say, "To each their own."

I suppose Oa blew up. But, I mean... I don't really think that added a whole lot. When you hear something like that happened, like Oa blowing up or Kyle Rayner going beyond the Source Wall, it sounds important, but when you actually read it, it's not... really all that good, it's kinda' forgettable, and it doesn't amount to a lot.

I know that interest in Green Lantern comics has fallen considerably in the last 4 or so years, and I don't think that was due to excellent, unforgettable stories being told. There must be some reason that happened.
                      Star-Lantern
                      Weaponer of Qward
                      Last edited by Star-Lantern; 10-30-2017, 10:02 AM.
                      ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

This was a nice change of pace for this title. Seeing Hal on earth, hanging out with Supes (though it's really strange to hear Clark say that his son would "love to see him" - like, when did they even meet?? (I know continuity is messed up, but that really stuck out to me)) and we even get to see Carol, though I was hoping the fake Carol's "go get me" would have lead to something more.

Overall, I thought it played out nicely and shows Venditti's deeper take on Hal that I actually like though it's been way too long since we've seen anything other than the hotshot pilot with daddy issues.

BTW, maybe I'm an idiot for only noticing it now, but has anyone else noticed how this book has had two logos for awhile, where the "Green Lantern" part is sometimes on one line and sometimes on two lines - though it's been on one line for a bit now, making the title seem more like it says "Hal Jordan Green Lantern" with the "and the" and "Corps" parts of the title becoming a lot less noticeable.
                        Kane2814
                        Weaponer of Qward
                        Last edited by Kane2814; 11-01-2017, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kane2814 View Post
                          ...BTW, maybe I'm an idiot for only noticing it now, but has anyone else noticed how this book has had two logos for awhile, where the "Green Lantern" part is sometimes on one line and sometimes on two lines - though it's been on one line for a bit now, making the title seem more like it says "Hal Jordan Green Lantern" with the "and the" and "Corps" parts of the title becoming a lot less noticeable.
                          Yeah, it's goofy looking.

Comment

I liked it a lot actually, had the classic super hero feels. Hal totally lied in this issue about thinking about killing, so did supes. That is definitely an issue they wrestle with internally but cannot say they do because it would make people question their morality. I thought Hammond looked creepy as well.
                            http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

I was surprised Hal didn't take Hammond to Mogo for further examination and/or imprisonment. He seems much more than regular people can handle.

Now I wonder how long before we get a followup and find out what this was actually about?

Comment

Working...
                              X