Clear All

• Green Lantern Corps #40 *Preview/Spoilers*

http://mancave.cbslocal.com/2015/03/...s-with-a-bang/

0.00%
    33.33%
    33.33%
    0.00%
    33.33%

Did anybody else read this yet? I read it yesterday at lunch and my mind is still boggled.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Davos View Post
      Did anybody else read this yet? I read it yesterday at lunch and my mind is still boggled.
      Yep. Not bad.

[Some spoilers.]

I was surprised they just came out and addressed what happened on Xanshi and that they did such a heavy-handed retcon of it.

I like the bit on love (are you happy folks who wanted to address John's Sapphire powers?!) and the boy's trust winning the day. Overall, it was a good GLs-never-quit kind of issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
        Yep. Not bad.

[Some spoilers.]

I was surprised they just came out and addressed what happened on Xanshi and that they did such a heavy-handed retcon of it.

I like the bit on love (are you happy folks who wanted to address John's Sapphire powers?!) and the boy's trust winning the day. Overall, it was a good GLs-never-quit kind of issue.
        I think retconning Xanshi was a farewell gift to John Stewart fans from Van Jensen. I was glad he at least kept a sort of character flaw in though because I feel John needs some wrinkles to his personality. I felt like the issue was missing something or skipped parts though. They stopped the one bomb but what about all the others? It didn't really offer any hints of what's next either. . .

Overall the book was OK. Wish it went out with more of a bang however.
        buffalorock
        Star Sapphire's Love Slave
        Last edited by buffalorock; 03-12-2015, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Out of curiosity, does this manage to solidify John and Katma's marriage in current continuity? Because I've been starting to wonder if he was ever married to her, or if even past marriages were tossed by the anti-marriage trend in the new 52.

Comment

So I put aside that they want to keep the Xanshi destruction on john. I always hated it, but it seems no writer can resist the urge to use it as an emotional crutch for John. Letting that go, retconning Cosmic Odyssey away and blowing it up a different, more simple and direct way, makes some sense. Then we get:

DOCTOR Katma Tui?

So John gets a second chance to save a planet from the same bomb, and his immediate response is to...pluck it out of the ground? He couldn't be bothered to put a forcefield around it? A bubble to contain an explosion? He immediately does things that could just arm this one like the last one! Then drops it on the ground from the sky! Fucking idiot! You have the most powerful weapon (or it used to be) in the universe, and you're going to allow yourself to get shocked again? Why wouldn't you use the ring properly and lift that thing from a mile away with a giant bubble around it? This 9is the guy who tried to put a planet back together with his ring and his will exceeded the ring's limits...he can't do this much? Is this john's first day on the job now?

This bomb is fueled by EMOTION?!?! How fucking gay is that?!?! Negative emotions fill it, and a few hundred people changing their minds suddenly deplete it? What kind of cheesy horseshit writing is this?

Love saves the day?!? Gotta have...the power of love! That solves everything! The crap with emotions dictating the fates of billions was just so lame it hurts my head. Hope, despair, love, all feeding and depleting planet destroying bombs.

Imagine if in Star Wars Palpatine had to power the Death Star with the Ewok's anger so he could blow up Endor, only to be foiled when it is depleted by Luke's love of his father...go ahead and imagine that. I'll wait while your stomach settles.

The whole issue felt rushed and the pacing was terrible. They threw in these bits with Feska's kid when they were desperately trying to tell Johns story and include the lanterns in other areas. There just wasn't the panel space to allow this cheesy story room to breathe. Even the last two pages is pretty much, "hey you stay here and build, I've got an ill placed splash page to be on one page over!"

I'm just glad this series is over. I'm embarrassed to be a John Stewart fan right now. I hope the next series is better than this was.

Comment

Will give it a 4 out of 5 stars.Good issue, could have been better in spots, glad to see Feska plant a wet one on Jruk. And of course, Maro coming back from the empire.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarmode View Post
                Will give it a 4 out of 5 stars.Good issue, could have been better in spots, glad to see Feska plant a wet one on Jruk. And of course, Maro coming back from the empire.
                Really glad that Maro made the decision to return back to the Corps... for now...

Good final issue.

http://www.green-bloggers-site.com

Comment

I didn't enjoy this one, very confusing, yet ultimately predictable, was the beginning filled with garbagey retcons or was it just me? I don't get it, I'll admit I might not have been paying enough attention tho. Two stars.

Comment

I enjoyed this issue, the retcon is so-so but John immediately reacting to the second bomb makes sense, he's probably replayed what happened to Xanshi over and over in his head at least once a day since then, he's probably come up with a ton of different ways he could have handled the bomb in the years that have passed

The best bits for me were with the rookie GLs, I really, really like the trio and the Jruk-Feska romance was the icing on the cake, it was a decent ending to a series that remember it's name, it's about the Corps, not just the human GLs of 2814

Originally posted by Plastroncafe
                    Freedom of Speech does not mean Freedom From Being Called Out For Spouting Bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                    X